SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Food For The Flu

John Liu
9 years ago

As you may know, it is a tough flu season this year. The vaccine isn't very effective against the particular viruses that emerged this season, so lots of people are getting sick.

Including my Daughter-San. She was kind of under the weather, then went out in the cold to watch the College Football Championship game at the student union, came down with a full fledged case of the flu, and decided to come home for the long weekend a couple days earlier than originally planned. SWMBO initially refused to let her come home, for fear that everyone in house will get sick right before my son's final exam week and SWMBO's trip to New York. But compassion overcame caution and SWMBO drove down to Eugene today and returned with Daughter-san in the back seat, wearing a disposable mask, looking like a hostage.

As soon as they got here, the girl was ordered upstairs to her room where she is confined until further notice. It is not so bad, she has a comfy bed, streaming video on her laptop, a purring cat, and room service.

So, what do you feed a person with the flu? Or someone with a really bad cold?

I generally think of lots of warm liquid. So I've been making soup. Tonight I made a mushroom, quinoa, and pork belly soup. Two pounds of brown mushrooms pressure-cooked for stock. To that stock I added shiitake, oyster, and brown mushrooms, all browned in butter; quinoa; celery, fennel, onion, carrot; and pork belly, roasted then diced. Garnished with chopped fennel fronds.

I also made a basic chicken rice soup. This was the chicken carcass, pressure-cooked for stock, plus diced chicken; wild rice; some of the mushrooms and veg leftover from the other soup.

I also think sick people should drink a lot between meals. Tea, water, and I also have a quart of pork bone broth in the refrigerator. I scoop out a dollop of the broth - it is all set up like jello - add a sprinkle of salt, and microwave it in a small glass. Daughter-san says it is like drinking a pig, which sounds a bit gross but I think she likes it.

She can't drink citrus juice because of her propensity to gastric distress, nor does she tolerate much tomato-based food or soup.

Tell me what you make for the sick people in your family. And suppose you get sick yourself: what do you do then?

Comments (29)