SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fenix409

Untreated white cedar lap siding?

fenix409
9 years ago

I'm still in the planning phase of building my home, and looking at lots and lots of photos for inspiration. I can't help it, I just love the look of aged, untreated cedar siding - how uneven it is, how dark it gets in some spots (though my understanding is that this is mold or mildew), how it just blends with the landscape. I know you can get bleaching oil or weathering stain to make it look like coastal Cape Cod houses (that are light grey/silver) but I like that less than how dark the untreated wood gets.

I've seen images of quite a few old, old houses that have untreated siding - Whipple House, Fairbanks House, Buckbrush Farm, Richard Sparrow House, etc. But everything I've read online says that this siding will be rotting off the house in less than a decade. So are preservationists replacing the siding every few years or is there a way to maintain it so that it lasts a lifetime (or longer)?

And if everyone here strongly agrees that it's a waste of money and far too much maintenance, is there a brand of fiber cement siding that could come close, or at least looks dark - like Orchard House, in the attached image? I've looked at James Hardie siding in Timber Bark, and it's just not dark enough.

Thanks!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!