SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barbaspal

Cleanability of porcelain vs. stainless cooktop surfaces

kitchengirl
9 years ago

For 10 years, I cooked on a Lacanche range, which has a one-piece stainless top that had a raised lip around each burner, i.e., open burners, but the top was designed to keep overflows from entering the area directly below the cooktop where all the wiring is. This cooktop never had any food residue that I could not remove readily with a rag and/or stainless steel cleaner. It always looked virtually "like-new" after cleaning with SS cleaner.

For the past year after a 2K mile move, I have lived in a temporary home with a Frigidaire range with porcelain cooktop and sealed burners. I don't know what the previous homeowner cooked or how often she cleaned the range, but it came with baked on residue that I cannot remove. I have scratched the porcelain top slightly in trying to clean it.

So my two questions are:
� any ideas how to remove very old residue from porcelain?
� more importantly: does anyone disagree with me that stainless is easier to clean and more forgiving than porcelain for a cooktop surface??

I ask this because most of the "fancy" pro-style ranges seem to have gone to porcelain for their cooktops, and I have formed an extremely negative opinion of this surface, particularly when paired with sealed burners, for its clean ability. It shows every bit of everything compared to a stainless top, yet my everyday degreasing spray, the eco Clorox Naturals all-purpose cleaner, has a hard time cleaning the surface yet it was great cleaning the stainless.

I currently feel this is enough of an issue for me to avoid purchasing a range with a porcelain cooktop.

I would appreciate opinions on this seemingly innocuous, but "important to me" question.

Thanks!

Comments (12)