SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krikit_gw

Container Roses grown organically

krikit
9 years ago

Hello, let me first say I am in awe of all the beautiful roses being grown organically! I am also trying to read amongst the posts and make notes for things I can do to help my own roses. I have a couple pf noisette roses that do quite well as well as Belinda's Dream, and a mini rose 'Pacific Serenade'. All have done well considering the neglect they have suffered. I have had some health issues but am hopeful of doing better this year. That said, I wonder if someone might have some advice for growing organically in containers. Most specifically soil, fertilizer, and what you'd recommend to help about black spot.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Frances

Comments (44)

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Frances: With regard to your question: " I wonder if someone might have some advice for growing organically in containers. Most specifically soil, fertilizer, and what you'd recommend to help about black spot."

I grew 50+ roses in pots over 3 yrs, before transferring to the ground. The most fluffy soil is high in composted pine, such as MG Organic, Schultz Organic, or Jungle Juice. The higher % of composted pine bark and FLUFFY forest products, the looser & more loamy the soil.

The worst potting soil is high in peat moss, which makes it too dense for root-growth, such as regular MiracleGro potting soil (green bag). MG Moisture control potting soil is also too dense, and tend to retain too much water in high-rain region, causing black-spot. MG moisture control is great in dry area like CA, but NOT in my heavy rain Chicagoland.

If you don't have access to Organic, less peatmoss potting soil ... one can mix a bag of perlite ($3) with potting soil to make it fluffier & less dense. I do that for my young rootings. However, mature roses demand more nutrients than zero-nutrient-perlite ... so mixing in 1 cup of high in potassium helps, such Tomato Tone, or Jobe's Organic tomato fertilizer.

The logic for high-potassium fertilizer is: Both hydroponic research and container-forum showed proof that root growth is best in a high potassium, decent calcium, in a ratio of 2 to 1. Tomato-fertilizers have such ratio.

Pots are different than clay: My heavy clay retains nitrogen very well. Pots behave like sandy soil: lots of nitrogen-leaching, since nitrogen moves with water. Epsoma Tomato-Tone at NPK 3-4-6 is good for roses: more potassium & phosphorus for blooms. I would mix 1 cup per 2 gallon of potting soil.

To fertilize pots, I would use a SOLUBLE fertilizer, either chemical or fish emulsion. Chemical tend to produce defective & brown foliage, due to high salt. Fish emulsion is the best choice of fertilizer, since it's lower in salt, and with Omega-3. My neighbor has a pepper plant which she keeps in a tiny container (1/2 gallon), and it's 2-years old soil, yet the leaves are perfect, with lots of pepper. Same with her fern ... fern is sensitive to salt, yet her fern plant is huge, and the leaves are perfect. I thought it was a plastic fern plant at first, then she told me it's real, and it's a decade-old plant in a pot.

Below is Summer Samba rose in a pot. I mixed Organic Tomato fertilizer (with calcium) with Organic potting soil, and watered it with sulfate of potash & gypsum to lower my high pH water (over 8.5). No black spots because the soil is fluffy enough for good drainage, plus the plastic pot has an indentation at the bottom, so water doesn't get retained when the pot sits against a cement patio. Good drainage is the key to prevent black spots.

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Sun, Jan 25, 15 at 16:46

• krikit
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you VERY much Strawberry Hill! This gives me the info I was looking for. I am so hoping to grow some roses on my patio but cannot stand the thought of inviting the bees and hummingbirds in with beautiful flowers only to poison them. Again, thank you! you are so kind to take the time to help. I hope to report good success later in the season :-)

• Related Discussions

Can Rose of Sharon be grown in containers?

Q

Comments (10)
    That's quite interesting, Tracey! What size pot did you use? I would like to keep 2 ROS in foam pots on either side of my front entrance and keep them trimmed as "trees" to 5 feet max. The reason I want to keep them in pots is I would like to keep them in an out-of-the-way spot in the spring - until they leaf out - before putting them in the front yard. I don't know about winter care, though. I wonder if I could just sink the pots in the ground over the winter? They would have drainage holes. Also, I don't know how often I would need to change the soil in the pot. TIA all for any info!
    ...See More

Do Store Potatos contain Genetically Modified Organisms?

Q

Comments (7)
    Yes, I grow Evans Sweet. Glad to hear that someone is bragging on it! Well, this is all I know. Dr. John Wych (sp?) was one of the earliest members of the Seed Savers Exchange. He was a dentist from Hugo, OK; Cherokee, and a member of the Presbyterian Church. He was also part owner of a circus! (Really interesting fellow!) Anyway Dr. Wych introduced a good many vegetable varieties to the SSE. Apparently he had a friend named Dr. Evans; and the two of them had a mutual hobby of developing garden varieties of vegetables, which were better than what was generally available, commercially, back in the 70s. Between the two of them, they came up with "Dr. Wych" (orange/yellow flesh) and Evans Sweet (green flesh with salmon tinted seed cavity). I received my seed from Neil Lockhart, a SSE members who has LOTS of tomatoes and apparently a good many cantaloupes. He claimed it was the best. My family loves it. Though, for this year, I just planted it last week. I have lots of seed, since I have grown it so that it is the only melon in flower. So, I tend to spread this one around quite a bit. Evans Sweet, like many cantaloupes, turns a lot lighter color when ripe and is very aromatic. Hope this helps! George
    ...See More

Can I still plant a container-grown rose shrub?

Q

Comments (2)
    You have plenty of time this fall to take that rose out of the pot and put in in your garden, you need 6 to 8 weeks before continuously freezing weather begins to put plants in and even then the plants roots will continue growing. There are some people that think that the first frost is the end of the growing season, but most often even after the first frost the weather moderates and is very good for growing and even when the temperatures steady to below freezing the soil temperatures take quite some time to cool down. Soil temperatures very slowly follow air temperatures in dropping.
    ...See More

HELP Please for Container Gardening Organically with Pro Mix BX

Q

Comments (2)
    I like ProMix a lot. But you might be overthinking this, Lainey. In terms of necessity, the only thing you may HAVE to do for a small portion of the plants is mix in more perlite. I have grown everything you listed except the zucchini and canteloupe, and virtually all of them in plain ProMix. You can definitely use the worm castings, though. I currently using the ProBlend Grow you bought and have the Bloom, too. I also use Ca-Mg with it. But I bought these because I wanted Foliage Pro now and couldn't find it locally quickly. If you haven't opened them, I would exchange for Foliage Pro. Al (tapla) on this forum has written a lot about it and overall, I think it's really solid barring using 15 bottles to make your own. :) After using a good potting soil, amended or not, it's primarily what you and nature will do that will help it thrive or die. (WATER, NUTRIENTS OR SUN?) And as for your vermiculite, I personally hate the stuff and find no use for it at all. Depending on your highs, it might be a bit too warm for the leafy stuff except in rrally bright shade with slow growth. I know in my area of CA, I cannot grow lettuce except in early spring or really late fall. Good luck!!
    ...See More
  • strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Frances (krikit): Thank you for your kind words, much appreciated. The fish emulsion that my neighbor used is sold at HomeDepot & Lowe's. It's Alaska fish emulsion, NPK 5-1-1. Below is an Amazon customer review: "This has made all my plants look so healthy. I have a mini rose bush that was nearly destroyed by aphids and after I "took care of them" >:-) I gave my roses some of this stuff and it is 10000 times better and greener. It's got so many blooms right now. I love this stuff".

I always check the person's review to see it's a faked one (based on his/her other reviews). Yes, it's an honest one. I was in awe at how big my neighbor's peppers are in comparison to her tiny plant in a dinky pot. See below link for Alaska fish fertilizer that my neighbor used.

One guy, Bailey in the other rose forum, reported over 150+ blooms/buds on Austin rose "Young Lycidas" in a pot for spring flush, fertilized with salmon bits & shrimp shells (for calcium). He posted a picture of that too. The only drawback of fish fertilizer is low in potassium, but that can be compensated by putting 1 teas of sulfate of potash (a natural mineral in 1 gallon of water every time one use fish emulsion. Sulfate of potash will neutralize alkaline tap water.

The advantages of fish fertilizer are: SOLUBLE & readily released phosphorus for blooms, plus 11 vitamins, plus low-salt source of nitrogen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alaska fish emulsion on Amazon

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Sun, Jan 25, 15 at 22:13

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

I'm here just reading everyones posts trying to keep up...lol

I'm not really that much into container gardening so I do not have much advice to give on that subject...

It has been a busy couple of days... 4 more inches coming tonight... :-/

I certainly can not wait until Spring and the roses start becoming awake with life... :-)

{{gwi:2131363}}

• krikit
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jim. I too have been trying to read up on all the interesting posts you folks have going on here. You too have some gorgeous roses! And even though I am mostly going to be growing in containers, I am enjoying the growing successes that are presented here with cultural information. It's all a bit overwhelming but I do think I've already learned a lot. I plan to start small with the regimen Straw has given for my container roses and hopefully grow from there :-)

• damask55linen
    9 years ago

That looks so cold where Jim is, i feel a little spoiled being able to walk the dog today without sinking in snow banks that pull my boot and sock off.
    Fifty + years ago my Father took us three girls fishing at the lake almost every Sunday through the summer months. Our 4 cats growled over their share of the fish heads , and the leftover scraps of fish got buried under the fruit trees. i didn't know it was for any reason other than to give the poor fish a decent burial.
    This year my roses will have to try dining on some rose health food and fish emulsion recommended. I'm not a chemist but I'll see what I can cook up for Eugene de Beauharnis' pot.

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Jim: Thank you for posting that pic. & more new snow today here.

Hi Frances (kritkit): Your writing is way better than mine. I love how gracious & fluent your writing is ... so glad you visit this forum.

Hi Damask: Thank you for your delightful humor and stories. This morning I succeeded in talking myself out of wanting Young Lycidas rose ... thanks to watching the Biggest Loser on TV. They keep pounding on overweight people: "it's all in your head !!"

So I told myself, "it's all in your head that you want that rose". Then I asked myself, "why would you want to bring home a thorny object to baby and to poke you?" Thus enjoying someone else's Young Lycidas on-line is a carefree approach: no watering, no poking, and no burning $25 ... except I can't sniff the fragrance !!

Below is picture of Prickles (Bailey's) rose: Young Lycidas. He fertilized it with shrimp shells and fresh salmon bits.

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Tue, Jan 27, 15 at 9:22

• damask55linen
    9 years ago

Strawberry,
    I have heard Young Lycidas does have beautiful fragrance.
    There is a connection between comfort food and roses.
    Over last weekend I skipped two days of rose research online because i had spent way more time stressing over my Spring rose order than reading my Bible. The David Austin 20% off sale booklet really manifested my heart .
    I have 6 wonderful roses from Burling already ordered , how many will be enough? That could never end...
    My strategy now is to pray about it ,wait and see, even if the rose I want most sells out -which it did.
    Last year it was the 75 dollar shipping costs to two nurseries that killed my budget; remembering that helps to curb my appetite.
    Oddly as I continually learn to let go of things, they lose their appeal, or just come to me sometimes even free without struggle or guilt. Can I trust that this will be the case also with the roses I want ,since our dear old dog has to have major dentist work? I told him " It's gonna hurt me more than you."
    Your rose know-how and experience are so extremely helpful, and amazing willingness to share with advice is a gift. The photos infuse hope for me to keep working at building my garden .
    JESUS will give you the desire of your heart , especially if it is Him.

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Damask: I treasure your words of wisdom and your honesty. We are on the same wavelength: respect for nature and esp. for the Creator who made them. I have to remind myself, "Roses don't have feelings ... they won't cry if I don't buy them !! But animals and people have feelings, so the money is best spent on them.

The best things in life comes NATURALLY, like the 2 rose rootings I made from cuttings that a friend gave. When I was young, I suffered and stressed out so much over boyfriends. But my husband came naturally: I met him accidentally, without trying, through a running club. My only daughter came without my trying, when I was 41 years old. In contrast, a friend went through countless in-vitro fertilization, costing $$$$$ .. in futility. She ended up adopting a baby from China.

For the past 3 years, I went through 6 roses' orders, stressed out on what to get. The best ones were what I got by accident, either they were on sale for $10 which I could not passed up a good deal, or friends gave to me free. Good things in life come naturally without striving .. but grief and useless stuff come through our own greed.

Thank you, Damask, for what you wrote "JESUS will give you the desire of your heart, esp. if it is Him". Yes, I have been praying to Jesus to help me lose at least 10 lbs. When that happens, all the credit goes to God, my Creator. He knows what's best for me ... I'm quite foolish and often don't know what's best for myself, like stressing over roses which have zero feelings, or NOT taking care of my body and spirit.

• damask55linen
    9 years ago

Yup, yup ,yup it bears repeating greed is a hollow feeling when I grab for myself what I want outside of GOD's timing, " He has made all things beautiful in His time."
    I tried to amass heirloom sewing supplies for decades (very spendy)
    and just yesterday a saintly older lady (older than me is getting rare )
    mentioned twice as we talked, she would like to give away her needle arts stash -
    I was speechless.
    We are working together in a group sewing for the crisis pregnancy center .
    Pregnant in your 40's must have been a wonderful sort of crisis, what a blessing!
    Saint Carla we will call her, wants to teach me to knit and crochet too! How I have longed for almost 60 years for a mentor like her in my life.
    I can't say that I have learned how to consistently abide in Christ, but I have learned all too well how not to.
    We know that the good ground is critical, and also "the branch cannot bear fruit of itself..,"
    Even the vegetable intellect roses know to live out the scriptures.
    We will abide, and it will all come- or come off, in the LORD's time.

• damask55linen
    9 years ago

Yup, yup ,yup it bears repeating greed is a hollow feeling when I grab for myself what I want outside of GOD's timing, " He has made all things beautiful in His time."
    I tried to amass heirloom sewing supplies for decades (very spendy)
    and just yesterday a saintly older lady (older than me is getting rare )
    mentioned twice as we talked, she would like to give away her needle arts stash -
    I was speechless.
    We are working together in a group sewing for the crisis pregnancy center .
    Pregnant in your 40's must have been a wonderful sort of crisis, what a blessing!
    Saint Carla we will call her, wants to teach me to knit and crochet too! How I have longed for almost 60 years for a mentor like her in my life.
    I can't say that I have learned how to consistently abide in Christ, but I have learned all too well how not to.
    We know that the good ground is critical, and also "the branch cannot bear fruit of itself..,"
    Even the vegetable intellect roses know to live out the scriptures.
    We will abide, and it will all come- or come off, in the LORD's time.

• damask55linen
    9 years ago

Didn't mean to repeat that post.
    Thought it was beautifully phrased by Jim
    in "Spring...the roses start becoming awake with life."
    Hopefully my frozen feet will experience that.

• damask55linen
    9 years ago

Krikit-
    If you move your pots around very much, I learned to wear gloves every time, You can expect the bees and spiders will enjoy their new fancy organic condo.

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Damask: There's a way to take care of duplicate post. In the uppermost corner, see those faint tiny words "Edit Post". Click on that, come inside your old post, and delete everything, then type "Duplicate post deleted", hit submit. That will take care for the post accidentally sent twice.

I love what you wrote "Yup, it bears repeating greed is a hollow feeling when I grab for myself what I want outside of GOD's timing .. He has made all things beautiful in His time."

That's so true. I have a gal-friend who's a poor single Mom with an 11-yr-old daughter. She was lonely when young, so she went out with an older guy who had been married 3 times !! I told her to wait for the Lord to bring the RIGHT person, rather than settle for something less. So this older guy used her & took her savings & got her pregnant, then broke up with her. My friend is now staying with her parents who raise her kid.

When we strive so hard for something, or someone OUT of our greed and insecurity, we will suffer. But when we wait patiently, blessings will come in God's time. Our Creator always want the best for us, but we settle for less. God is like a loving Dad who prepares a delicious dinner for us to eat .. but we're too hungry& greedy, so we grab junk food and get sick from that.

The verse that you referred to is John 15:7 "But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted." ... or it could be John 15:4 "Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me."

So true !! When I remain in myself, I'm a worry-freak and make myself miserable. But when I trust in God, I'm happier. My favorite verse for today is Psalm 37:8 "Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret--it leads only to evil." We often torture ourselves with worry, or get upset easily ... instead of coming to our Creator.

All those 3 years of lusting and fretting after roses STOPPED, when I remind myself "I have too much stuff to take care for, can't afford another rose". When I die, God won't ask me "How many roses do you have" like the ego & greed bandwagon. He will ask, "How well did you handle what I entrusted you with?" The more isn't better, more stuff, more time taking care for them instead of one's health & family. Below link is my favorite site for Bible verses:

Here is a link that might be useful: Biblehub for Bible verse reference

• damask55linen
    9 years ago

So True!
    Oh boy that's a great site for deeper Bible exploration.
    Now the test for me is to not want Versigny...

• Mas_Loves_Roses
    9 years ago

Wow. That picture of Young Lycidas has me thinking that maybe I should add it to my 'to buy' or wish list. It is gorgeous.

I grow many mature roses in pots as well as cuttings that I rooted last summer. They are all overwintering in the garage. I fertilize them with a 'brew' of compost, yucca extract, seaweed potash and fish emulsion. Sometimes I add other things like humus. I have grown them successfully using fish emulsion only. I added the coco coils to the soil mixture (as Strawberryhill recommended) and I think that helped with keeping the roots aerated.

I had good success with keeping black spot at bay using the milk solution even with all the rain that we got last year. Hope this helps!

• Mas_Loves_Roses
    9 years ago

Damask,

Do you belong to the local rose society? the members of my rose society are constantly exchanging cuttings and even roses. It would be a nice way to build your rose collection for free.

rooting cuttings is very easy. Take a cutting from a stem that just finished blooming, ideally with four 5 leaves. Remove the bottom two leaves. stick the bottom of the cutting in rooting hormone powder. Have a pot (similar to those that the premium annuals like Proven Winners use) with dirt. Wet the dirt and make sure that it is thoroughly moist.

Dig a hole in the middle where you will insert the cutting. Place the cutting and pat the dirt around it. About half the cutting should be in the grown. Place two bamboo sticks on each side of the pot (the ones used for kabobs) Then stick the container in one of those clear bags that you put the produce in at the supermarkets. the bamboo skewers are just to keep the bag from sticking to the cutting. close the top using one of the wires that you use to close the produce bags. Place the plant in a bright window but not sunny.

Voila! Wait until new growth appears in a few weeks. I also change the skewers every 4-5 days b/c they can get moldy.

I typically have 70-80% success rate with this method.

• krikit
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to all! This post has turned into so much more than an informative discussion. I am encouraged that we can share praise for our Lord and learn of Him in all things. Even something that seems so insignificant as purchasing a rose can become a life lesson when we seek Him. I truly believe He gives us the beauty of nature to enjoy but as you have all shared, our greed can turn it all very ugly.

I've really had to rein myself in on my purchases so as not to turn a blessing into an overindulgence. I'm still struggling with the temptation to purchase "firefighter" but worry if I try to do too much this first year I won't do justice to any of my new roses. I'm looking forward to enjoying my little container garden this year, and so appreciate all the great advice I've gotten here - but it all goes much further than advice as I've tremendously enjoyed the fellowship of brothers & sisters in Christ ☺️

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Frances (kritkit): Thank you for your testimony, your words bring me joy this morning, an answer to my prayer. Although I wasn't crazy about Firefighter like with Austin roses ... Firefighter gave so much joy to my 3 neighbors. They were delighted when I gave them bouquets. Firefighter never poke me since it was almost thornless .. but it consumed lots of water. If not for my zone 5a, I would try that again ... one bloom lasts 2 weeks on the bush, or 1 week in the vase.

Hi Mas: Thank you for sharing the recipe of your special brew, and how to root cuttings. What state are you currently in? You used to live in Utah, but I forget what state you moved to. The ziploc- baggie-method works well for dry states like Colorado, but failed for folks in humid climate.

I read Mas' method twice ... it's very clever, so I don't think it will fail like the baggie-method. I'm going to try that this spring. Thanks, Mas, and please let me know how's the humidity in your state.

Hi Damask: I used to grow Versigny .. it died when our winter got down to -30 below zero. It has the most delightful scent that can easily beat all Austins, including Jude the Obscure. Versigny's fruity scent has an edge over Old Garden roses (too perfumy). One sniff of Versigny is more satisfying than freshly baked pies. I would give its scent a 10 for quality. Below are versigny blooms, last a long time in the vase:

• damask55linen
    9 years ago

Mas_Loves_Roses,
    i definitely will try the propagation method you wrote about, I'm grateful for your directions.
    I have not made it to the local garden club yet, but there is a very knowledgeable florist at the grocery store that is patient with my questions when she has time.
    This year Souvenir de Brod, Juane Desprez, Crested Moss, Rouge Royale, all bands I gave away last year as gifts, should have enough height to get a cutting back from if they have done well by Summer.
    At a pet store on Whidbey Island, the owner picked organic dandelions for his iguanas they went crazy over. With about 8 lizards in the cage, one big nasty iguana would scoop all the dandelions to his side of the cage, sit on top of his treasure, and whip the other lizards into the opposite corner with his tail.
    I know there are people that possess a number of roses that have mastered gardening and how to live with an open hand. That's how i want to be to multiply what GOD has given me.
    I'm so looking forward to a beautiful summer whether I acquire more roses or stick to what I have.

• damask55linen
    9 years ago

Strawberry, thank you again for taking time with gracious words and a photo to inspire.
    I'm so sorry to hear your Versigny froze, I remember from your earlier posts how you felt it was one of your best.
    Hard to imagine how incredible it will be when there is no more death, crying or pain- we're all ready for that.
    The weather here in North Idaho is unusually quite warm for winter- upper 30's , but I am not packing away the snow shovel yet. Kind of weird the snapdragons still have green leaves. They have been getting a compost mix of Seattle's Best Signature Blend, Thomas Hammer House, Kivu Kona and Caramel Coffee grounds. It's not as scientific as the above, but the garden sure smells good.

• damask55linen
    9 years ago

Frances,
    You gave a great summation of our lessons in gardening life.
    I was going to get Longfellow's poems at the Library yesterday but passed it up for now because of the richness I can read here.
    The last three years I considered Firefighter at Northland Rosarium because I heard it has a raspberry fragrance. It's nice when they sell out and it is no longer a possibility to be tempted.
    I hope futuristic computers have warm sunlight and fragrance emanating from them.

• krikit
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am overwhelmed at all the great contributions to this post. Mas - I will be trying your technique for rooting. Have a friend that is going to share cuttings of Jefferson Rose/Softee. Where do you get coco coils? I don't recall seeing them anywhere?

Strawberry - that pic of Versigny is so realistic looking with incredible depth. Looks like you could reach your hand in and pick it.

Damask - I love your sewing project! I would like to learn to sew, and still hope to. Using your talent to give to others is such a wonderful expression of love. I pray & do believe God will bless your efforts.

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Frances (Krikit): I'm blessed with your company here, much appreciated. A friend sent me this wonderful verse
    Philippians 4:4-7 "Rejoice in the Lord, always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be known to everyone; the Lord is near.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer & supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts & minds in Christ Jesus."

Yes, I have peace in this forum, thanks to all the wonderful people who stopped by: Mas, Frances, Damask, and Jim.

Hi Damask: Wow! Your snapdragons still have green leaves? That's great. They are my favorites, they re-seed themselves & multiply like a carpet in my zone 5a. That's how they survive last winter of -30 below zero. See below:

• damask55linen
    9 years ago

So beautifully kept! mine has gone wild.

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Damask; Thanks for the compliment & also thank you for imparting so much wisdom to this forum. I like what you wrote earlier: "Oddly as I continually learn to let go of things, they lose their appeal, or just come to me sometimes even free without struggle or guilt. Can I trust that this will be the case also with the roses I want?"

You are right about letting go of things. When we first had our house built, I wanted SO BADLY to have a birch tree in front of the patio. My husband was dead-set AGAINST THAT. So I researched and found that birch tree isn't a good idea, they shed branches & messy. I have 3 birch trees FAR AWAY from the house, and they are a real pain ... constantly have to trim them.

Last year my neighbor spent over $2,000 chopping down 2 willow trees planted next to her patio, since their roots were going into the house's foundation. We are so foolish in our desires. Thanks to your posting, I learn to LET GO, and LET GOD. My happiness is no longer getting Young Lycidas rose, I re-define my happiness as pleasing God, doing what pleases Him, rather than getting things out of foolish fantasy, greed, or insecurity.

9 years ago

Great thread everyone! Been busy so trying to keep up with posts...lol
    Enjoying the pics! :)

• krikit
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good morning! I've been absent for a couple of days, and catching up on some reading here has been a blessing. The thoughts on greed, and letting go so ring true with me. I've experienced that peace of letting go and it is wonderful. Unfortunately the greed and obsessive wanting do return when I stray and my thoughts turn too much to self. Thanks for the gentle reminders to put all things in their place. Great encouragement as I get ready for Church this morning.

9 years ago

This past April & part of May 2014 my wife and I cared 24hr a day for my sister whom was dying of cancer... My sister was in great pain as the cancer invaded all her nerve endings and brain...
    Even through all this my sister kept her faith and a smile on her face. I noticed a constant peace over my sister in spite of the circumstances!
    My sister taught me a lot about faith in that months time!
    May 10th my sister became an angel!

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

That's a wonderful testimony, Jim ... it moved me to tears. When my Dad died of a stroke, I made peace with him ... I'm NOT his fav. daughter. After he died, I had a dream of him being in heaven ... he's young & handsome again. He pushed a pen in my hand, urging me to write, to verify for him. When I woke up from that dream, I didn't know what it means. Now I do .. we are here to take care of our bodies & take care of each other.

Yes, cancer is a painful death ... 4 of my neighbors have cancer: kidney, prostrate, stomach, and brain cancer. That remind me to drink my green tea & eat my veggies.

• krikit
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jim - thank you for sharing about your sister. Everything I'd like to say as I read this seems horribly inadequate. To experience that kind of peace while experiencing that level of physical pain is indeed a great testament to a very close walk with God. And unfortunately something few people experience. You sister reminds me of my precious grandmother. And although hers was a different experience (not that intense pain but years of suffering both rheumatoid & osteo arthritis with little for pain due to allergic reactions) she had a like Faith evidenced by that peace you spoke of. And like you, I too helped care for her and feel forever indebted.

Strawberry - I am so sorry for your painful experience with your Dad, but glad you were able to make peace with him and how precious the understanding of your dream! Sunday our pastor preached about 'enjoy the journey'. It is indeed a wonderful journey - even if bittersweet at times.

The sun is shining here today, and it's supposed to warm some. A very welcome change :-)

9 years ago

Sorry to hear about your dad Straw!
    Sorry about your grandmother Krikit!

I was adopted at a very young age by my grandparents back in 1962...
    I lost my grandpap in 1986 and my grandmother in 1987.
    They were my true parents...

I can't wait to feel the warmth of the sun...lol

• treehugger101
    9 years ago

I feel kind of bad breaking in on such a beautiful discussion but I would love to know more about growing in pots. My problem is that I keep having to dig up the roses and move them around. They get too tall or too wide or both. They need more or less sun and so on. You all have given me the idea that I can go back to growing roses in pots until I can figure out the spot where each rose is happiest. I tried growing roses in pots before and now I know I did everything wrong. So I am curious. What size pot would I need for a typical DA shrub rose?

• treehugger101
    9 years ago

I feel kind of bad breaking in on such a beautiful discussion but I would love to know more about growing in pots. My problem is that I keep having to dig up the roses and move them around. They get too tall or too wide or both. They need more or less sun and so on. You all have given me the idea that I can go back to growing roses in pots until I can figure out the spot where each rose is happiest. I tried growing roses in pots before and now I know I did everything wrong. So I am curious. What size pot would I need for a typical DA shrub rose?

• treehugger101
    9 years ago

It just occurred to me to ask...do you use the tomato fertilizer as directed or every time you water the roses or what? krikit, I am so grateful for this post!!!

• strawchicago z5
    9 years ago

Hi Treehugger: For David Austin roses, if they are bought as GRAFTED bare-root on Dr. Huey, they get HUGE, and don't like to be restrained in pots. But if they are bought as own-roots from nurseries like Chamblee, Roses Unlimited, then DA roses can be grown in container, but only for the ones NOT specified as climbers in DA catalog.

I used tomato fertilizer INSIDE the potting soil: I mixed 1 cup per 2 gallon of potting soil. Once a month, I put 1/4 cup on top .. but if it's VERY HOT month, then I skip that ... solid fertilizer tend to burn in hot temp. Once a week, my neighbor used 1 cap (1 teaspoon of fish fertilizer) per gallon of water and her plants look marvelous.

• treehugger101
    9 years ago

Strawberryhill, I am sooo glad I asked. My DA roses all came from DA. I was amazed at how they seem to go crazy and all over the place. I thought it was due to the rose itself not the root stock. My son calls DA roses Medusa roses. That's about right.

• krikit
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good to hear from you Treehugger! And good questions :-) I learn from everyone else's questions too.

• treehugger101
    9 years ago

Thanks for the welcome, krit. Now back to pot size. : ) Assuming I have say a standard hybrid tea rose that get 4'. What dimensions should the pot be?

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I bring this thead up since Msdorkgirl can answer the above question better than I can. I grew own-root roses in 2-gallon pots, then transfer to the ground before winter hit, but Msgirl grows roses permanently in pots. Krikit: how are your roses in pots doing? Mas: Thanks for the tip of rooting roses, much appreciated.

krikit thanked strawchicago z5
  • krikit
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hey Straw! I'm finally back after some frustration with the garden web change and then just now finishing up more repair work to our old house. As for my roses ..... I'll hopefully post some pictures in a few days. My purchases were minifloras 'Sunglow', 'I Believe in You', and 'Montys Joy' - and shrub rose 'Country Dancer', and I already had 'Pacific Serenade' & 'Outta the Blue'. I'm almost afraid to speak too soon but so far they are all looking pretty healthy as far as the foliage, but ..... the blooms are crisp on the edges on the ones that are in pots in full sun, so do you think it's too much sun? Sunglow is very pretty growing in the ground - foliage is so far clean and blooms are beautiful. Country Dancer is clean as expected (I knew someone locally that used to grow it and said for them it rivaled the KnockOuts for disease resistance). Another thing I am concerned about 'I Believe In You' is that the blooms have balled terribly and just now getting blooms that open but they are really crisp on the edges. We are having some really dry weather but I water morning and night. I'll try to post pics in the next couple of days.

• krikit
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks! That's a lot of good info. We're starting Bible School tomorrow at my Church so not sure when I'll get my test done but probably not until later in the week. I'm excited to fix this problem! I was pretty sure you'd be able to help :-)

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Frances (kritkit) Thank you for your testimony .. I will take my 12-year old to church more often in the summer. She used to go Vacation Bible School when she was much younger ...she loved that. Too bad they don't have Vacation Bible School for teenagers.

Mas: if you are around, how are your roses doing? How's your rooting project? Please inform, thanks.