SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laineymac26

HELP Please for Container Gardening Organically with Pro Mix BX

laineymac26
8 years ago

Hello! My name is Lainey and I'm a newbie to the gardening world. Any advice that would help me move forward and get my plants into their containers would be greatly appreciated.

I am overwhelmed after spending the last 2 days with a rental car sourcing organic products to grow fruits, veggies, herbs and some annual flowers organically in containers. Unfortunately, I don't currently have a car and I'm not sure whether to go ahead and mix the products I've purchased or if I need more amendments before filling my containers.

Here is what I purchased thus far as per suggestions:

Pro-Mix BX (I was told this was organic but have since discovered it is not)

Gaia Green Glacial Rock Dust (2 litres or 0.5 gallon pail)

Alltreat Farms V=Premium Vermiculite (5 litre bag)

Rubicon Worm Castings (2-3 litre bags as that's all they had)

Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Grow 3-2-4 (They also have a product called Pure Blend Pro Bloom for when plants start to flower)

I have some flowers (annuals) that I'm planting into containers and also the following veggie, fruit and herbs in various appropriate sized containers.

Various herbs-oregano, basil, rosemary

Various lettuces-romaine, leafy

Grape tomatoes (1 plant)

Pepper plant (1 yellow)

Zuchhini (1 plant)

Canteloupe (1 plant)

I still want to get some Everbearing Strawberries and Carrots and that's it for my first 'learning' season. <grin>

As many products aren't available in my area (Niagara/Ontario) I was rather limited with selection. In hindsight, I wished I'd purchased a good quality pre-packaged organic soil for containers. Fafard has an Urban Gardener organic soil mix that would've been much easier I'm sure. <laughing> Last year I bought Miracle Grow Organic for containers and used a Liquid Fish Fertilizer with poor results.

Live and Learn. Next year I won't procrastinate allowing me more time to source better selections.

I appreciate any feedback or assistance. Much thanks for you wise gardeners that take your time to help us newbies.

Peace,

Lainey

Comments (2)