SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zacharys

New perennial bed, need some ideas and help

So, I brought this up to Skybird in another thread and she said to start a fresh one.

I have plans to put in a new perennial bed in the front yard, because I am a little bored growing the same tomatoes, peppers, beans, every year. Not there's anything wrong with vegetables, I will still be planting plenty of them, so don't you worry, I just feel its time to expand my horizons. Not to mention, this little project has kept me busy enough to prevent me from going bonkers waiting to start vegetable seeds indoors well before necessary. Also, grass is just so...boring.

So in order to do this, I will be tearing out some of that boring old grass to expose the dirt below. So, the soil I'm dealing with... I'm assuming a fairly thin top layer of fairly okay dirt, having been inhabited by the the shallow roots of ol' Kentucky blue . Below that, a suburban staple and everyone's favorite, the Colorado clay left behind from the construction company after they stripped off what little topsoil was here some three decades ago.

Exposure: Full sun after about 10 AM, maybe a little earlier. And it stays virtually shade free (one of the only spots in the yard that does) thereafter. I would say full sun, it gets AT LEAST 6 hours a day.

Water: well, currently, there are sprinkler heads, so it's irrigated. However, through my research the past couple week I have really taken a liking to xeric style plantings. I think it looks really nice, and like the idea of less maintenance since I am pretty lazy. So, I was planning on capping or otherwise disabling the current sprinklers in the area and making it a xeriscape. Course, I might keep them in place for the first year or so, just to help the plants get established.

So, here is the site:

{{gwi:2130541}}

On the other side of the fence is my vegetable garden. One other thing I hope to accomplish is to sort of hide that awful fence (which is an unfortunate necessity) but, I cant really have the stuff I plant in front of it grow up too tall, or it will cast too much shade. I'm thinking about 3' is going to the average maximum. If there are taller plants that are pretty vertical growing, we might be able to squeeze in one or two.

I am not really limited in how far out from that fence I can go, there is nothing between it and the driveway on the other side of the yard. At the same time, I am thinking I would like to start this venture out at a manageable size. I figure I can always add more later. So, in my plants, I thinking roughly 4' out all the way up that fence (though, not necessarily a straight line, so, there may be variation, overall, 4')

So, there's the details, if I'm missing something, let me know Ill fill you in.

Here's what I want:

I think my favorite perennial I have yet come across is sunset hyssop (Agastache rupestris). I planted some in a yard I worked on last year, and I was really impressed with it.

So, I made a list of what I was thinking would work well, using the Agastache as my baseline (keep in mind I do not want/need ALL of these, just some ideas of plants that would work):

Gaillardia - a more yellow version I think?

Lavender - I have some that have volunteered themselves in another area of the front yard (by the driveway) and if possible, I could in theory just move some of them.

May night salvia - better or worse than the lavender? from what I can tell these two are very nearly interchangable, with the exception that this one has a darker flower color, and is taller.

Blue blazes agastache - I don't think either the lavender or the salvia bloom at the same time as the A. rupestris but I think this one does have some good overlap, and I think the blue combined with the warmer color of the other Agastache would work well together.
Blue grama - I need something small for the front. I know it is typically planted as an alternative turf grass (except for the "Blonde ambition" version, which, at 3' tall and wide, is too big for this application). But have seen, and read, people using it as a small ornamental bunch grass, maybe I'm wrong and it's would just wind up looking like my flower bed has lawn grass growing in it.

Pretty much any penstemon. Though, I don't much care for the standard hybrids, like "husker red".

I had Russian sage (a dwarf version "little spires") on the list, but I have seen some concerns that it may become invasive, both in my yard, and in nature. It has also been brought up that there is somewhat of a "Russian sage" rage going on, and it lends itself to overuse. I don't really want my lawn to look like a highway median lol. Is there any reason I should NOT have cut it?

Finally, a couple underlying factors that I have been thinking about: Critters. I like bees and butterflies and birds, and if I can cater to them at all, I think it would be neat. Second of all, I LIKE the idea of natives, though, I by no means am a snob about it and will gladly incorporate old-world selections into the mix (plus, a lot of "all native" plantings, to me, can tend to just look messy), but keeping some native plants I think would also be neat.

So, am I in over my head? Am I trying to bite off more than I chew for my first go-round? Am I being too particular or picky? Maybe I should come up with something easier? Maybe YOU ALL, the great and wonderful folks here at Rocky Mountain Gardening have some ideas for me!? I look forward to it.

Edit to add:

I know I will probably have to do something to lessen the water retention of my clay-y subsoil to achieve my goal, but from what I have read, I will have to do this without increasing the fertility too much... no idea how to accomplish that...

This post was edited by ZachS on Mon, Feb 2, 15 at 21:29

Comments (45)

• digit
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Zach, just keep in mind that I'm terrible with landscaping - as with any sort of creativity. And, I'm quite strongly 180 degrees from perennials anyway, since I very much like to get things outta the way so that I can beat back the spring weeds. I'm always wishing for fewer perennials than what I've got, certainly not more!

Now, having excused my loutish self ... I have been fortunate that floral designers have put up with me, now and then. You have only one face flower (the Gaillardia) and many spikes. Can you think of any more horizontal color lines you would enjoy seeing for the bed? (Florists are often imitating the landscaper's art by mirroring the garden, in their designs.)

Steve

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Steve you hit that one right on the head! I do need more round/horizontal flowers on that list of possibles. Now, which ones? Guess it's back to the drawing board.

And you said you're not creative. To abridge Jeremy Clarkson: sometimes your genius is staggering!

This post was edited by ZachS on Mon, Feb 2, 15 at 23:49

• Related Discussions

Need some ideas to get me started - new here.

Q

Comments (10)
    WOW! And here I thought that no one replied... turns out I just never got any emails about the replies. Anyways, thanks to everyone who did reply for all the hints and tips. In the time that has passed I have walked with my landlord over the whole property and he's all for what I plan on doing here as he's been unlucky with his tenants to date not wanting to do any type of improving upon the aesthetics here. I can understand why the landlord hasn't put any type of money into the place as when we moved in last fall the whole back yard under all those nice shade trees was nothing but dirt. That's why the grass is so patchy back there. The tenant before us had 28 fox-hounds in a big caged in area under those trees... the area is almost completely filled in with grass that was seeded last fall, needs another seeding though. Now that I've had more of a chance to pay attention to just how much sun each area I plan to plant gets I now know better what to plant there. The back of the house gets quite a bit of sun actually, almost 6 full hours of afternoon sun whereas the front gets full morning sun. The place we chose for the veggie garden is in an area that gets sun from about 9am until dusk so it will have enough, plus it's close enough to the water hose! I've also identified some of the "bushes" that I didn't know when I originally posted this thread. There are two large groups of Common or American Elderberry (one that is crowding out my snowball bush) as well as some honeysuckle bushes, a large Mimosa tree that's just about to bloom and a straggly looking red Mulberry. It's difficult to tell at first whether some of the trees are Black Walnut or Tree of heaven but I figured it out as the BW has it's fruits developing. There are still two unidentified bushes but I'll figure it all out. Now that I've bored y'all with my uninteresting story I guess I should end this by saying that I will probably be posting photos of the design I finally chose for this large property. From what I've figured so far, the investment will be no more than about 2-3000. We are planning on staying here for quite a while... don't plan on moving until hubby's ready to retire (15 more years) and the landlord knows that if we do move most of what I plant will be moving with me. Especially the bulbs and anything easily transported to the new place. So once again, thanks for all the replies. ttfn Mystic.
    ...See More

my new perennial garden, need some help please!

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi taraleigh, So far, it sounds like you've done a good job with your garden by planting things that will thrive with the good drainage that your sandy soil likely has. The only plant I could see being a problem may be the Bee Balm, since it likes rich, constantly moist, humusy soil, and can develop powdery mildew if its in a crowded spot. It sounds like you have kind of a "Cottage Garden" look going on in this bed, so I wouldnÂt worry too much about "casual" style plants next to more formal ones. In general, I think the soil conditions, moisture, PH (acid, neutral or alkaline) and light conditions that different varieties of plants need to be healthy is the main thing people should concern themselves with when planting a new garden. Then you can find plants that you like the look of, that thrive in the conditions of your particular garden area. The bloom time of various flowering perennials, as well a garden's ability to look good in the fall and winter is also a consideration. I would just "google" each of your plants, check their water, sun, and soil PH requirements, and provide them with what they need. At this point in the summer, I wouldn't transplant anything, so hopefully you are pleased with how your garden area looks for now. If you donÂt like the placement of anything, I would wait until the spring to move it. As far as your overall garden design goes, I agree with laceyvail about the arrangement. You didn't say what direction the sun is coming from in relation to this garden bed, but you may want to check that the more drought-tolerant plants are on the side that gets the most hot afternoon sun. Also, be sure that anything tall isn't creating an excessive shade area over smaller plants that needs full sun. You will have some autumn interest with your "Blue Star" aster, "Autumn Joy" stonecrop, "Blanket flower", and Artemisia "Silver Mound". Personally, I would have added some low-growing evergreen shrubs that tolerate sandy soil, such as Common Bearberry / Kinnikinnick (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi) to this bed, but that would just be my preference as far as some winter interest. Not sure what your soil PH is, but your soil would need to be acidic, sandy soil to grow Kinnikinnick. The foliage of your daylilies, asiatic lilies, veronica, bee balm, delphinium, "Snow In Summer", and Shasta daisy will likely die back to varying degrees in the winter in Zone 5. But in Zone 5, the bed will most likely be covered in snow for much of the winter, so you won't notice the dormant foliage as much. In the fall or spring, you can always add an evergreen small shrub or two that tolerates sandy soil. This fall, you may also want to add some spring-flowering bulbs, so that you have some early spring interest in this garden plan. Be prepared to be pulling up some of those "Snow in Summer", Artemisia "Silver Mound", and Shasta daisies if they get too invasive in this bed. Daylilies can have buds on them for many, many days before they bloom. I prefer the pretty lemony-yellow of the "Happy Returns" to the margarine-yellow of the "Stella D'Oro", but they are both pretty easy to care for daylilies, and both bloom well. The "Stella D'Oro" is really tiny. As far as colors go, I like to keep plants with blossoms on the red-orange side of the color spectrum (such as your "Black Bird" Lily) away from plants that have purple or blue-ish blossoms (such as your delphinium, and "Lavender Joy" lily, but this is just my personal preference color-wise. Hope this helps and good luck with your new garden!
    ...See More

Need Some Advice on New Perennial Bed

Q

Comments (8)
    Cover the area with newspaper and cover the newspaper with a mulch to hold the newspaper in place and hide it. The newspaper keeps any plants growing under it from getting the sunlight plants need to grow so they will die and the soil bacteria will digest them putting the nutrients in the grass and "weeds" back into the soil to feed any plnats that grow there in the future. Keep in mind that the more sheets of paper layed down the harder it will be for the soil bacteria to digest so the longer that will take. Most of the time I have found that 4 to 6 sheets of paper are plenty. Soak the soil well before laying the paper down and the soil moisture will wet those papers, after the mulch is plunked down, so there is no need to try and handle wet paper which in my experience tends to fall apart too easily. If you wnat to sheet compost over that bed, Lasagna Gardening is one name for doing that, that is always a good way to get more organic matter into the soil. Here is a link that might be useful: Lasagna Gardening 101
    ...See More

New Perennial bed and small fountain need planting ideas!!

Q

Comments (9)
    Cindy has some great ideas. I also like to start with bulbs. Some tulips can be planted so that you have some blooming early,mi and late spring. Maybe some of the repeat blooming fragrant iris. They bloom 2 or 3 times, spring, mid summer and fall. Not many nurseries carry them. I order mine on the net. I love the little dwarf iris...they bloom with the crocus and are adorable. There are also repeat blooming fragrant daylilies in all heights and colors. Again, these usually aren't found in most nurseries. I get mine on the net. The autumn sedum that Joe suggested is beautiful in the fall, and great sage green foliage in spring and summer. Sedum is so hardy...and I take clumps off mine and put it in spots that won't grow anything else! Peonies are a great idea. They need quite a bit os sun and tend to spread, but can be controlled. A couple roses would also be nice. What type of roses do you like? I wouldn't mess with a hybrid tea rose at this point...you will be busy with all the other new babies and the T's can be fussy at times. A nice, small David Austen old english rose bush would be nice. I love the new "Golden Zest"; yellow, old english. OMG it smells good! Also, a trellis with a climbing rose in a color that would compliment your house color. If you post on the "antique rose" or the "rose" forum you would get some great advice. I also have a fountain. I have perennial herbs around it. I keep them trimmed so they don't go to seed until late summer. I buy a couple products that keep the fountain free of algae and also soften the water. I have lost a pump due to mineral build up. Also, then the birdies can bathe and not be harmed. Maybe anchor the garden on one end with a small dwarf lilac bush? Keep in mind that nothing is permanent and plants grow differently in each garden. Plants can be moved. Keep us posted!
    ...See More
  • Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    9 years ago

Hi Zach,

Great info! A "real" answer is gonna take some time, and I'm not sure when I'll get it done, but I will! Digit's right! So far almost everything you're interested in are spikes, and you'll need some variation, but I'm sure I can come up with other things to recommend. Immediately I'm thinking of Helianthus maximilianii, but that, I have discovered, spreads a LOT after a few years--so maybe something else. But it's pretty--and very tall, like possibly somewhere over by the whiskey barrel if you should ever decide to try it. I have one--in not-enough sun, so it never looks good, but in full sun and with dry conditions, they can be pretty cool! BECAUSE it spreads, I tend to bring some to the swaps too! But it SPREADS!!!

For tonite! PM me your email address, and I have some Word documents I'll attach to an email and send them to you! I have some sheets, Gardening with Skybird, that I made up for a seldom-seen Oldie around here, and I really don't want to post them online--and the spacing would be all messed up if I copied them here anyway! But I have a list of "heavy clay" things, and a hummingbird, and a butterfly sheet, and a "natives" sheet, so it would give you something to look at and some things to think about. I don't have a "xeric" sheet, 'cause there are so many places online where you can look up lists of xeric perennials! I can post some links if you want!

If you want some things that need more water, like Shasta daisies, you might want to consider picking one section where you'll leave the irrigation intact. Since it looks like the lot runs "down" toward the street, the downhill side would probably be best, or otherwise the water will "run into" your xeric stuff and mess with it!

Just thought of another non-spike, xeric thing! Ever heard of Joe Pye Weed, Eupatorium? It's another BIG one (whiskey barrel end?), but I love it (not enough sun!), and it's a good butterfly and hummer plant! Not on the natives list! If thinking of hummers, straight species plants will attract them better than hybrids--but that info is on the hummer sheet!

Definitely (IMO!) plan for a "curvy" line for the front edge of the new bed! It'll be so much more attractive than a "straight line!" And, I wouldn't count on the "good soil" in the "sod layer!" At least not based on my experience! When I take out sod, the roots take the "good" soil out with them, and it's CLAY from there on down! The first few years I planted here I didn't have home-grown compost yet, and I was planting most things in pretty much "straight potter's clay," but now as I plant or replant stuff I dig out a pretty big area and do a LOT of soil improvement, to the extent of throwing out the worst of the clay and replacing it with "half finished" compost (great for "encouraging" worms) mixed with the remaining clay. Little by little I'm making headway. But, as you said, for the truly xeric stuff, a lot of it will do better on a very lean soil. When you start digging around out there, let us know if you find the same clay as I have "right below the sod roots!"

I have to go for tonite, just thought I'd reply since I was still signed in! Send me your address! I don't remember which email I'll receive it at, but I will get it--and probably will reply from a different address--but in the subject I'll make it clear that it's from me!

Happy planning,
    Skybird

P.S. Excuse any typos! Too late to do any proofreading!!!

• digit
    9 years ago

Perennial beds don't have to be devoid of annuals.

It may make sense to leave some spaces designed for zinnias, China asters, and such. I can include dahlias here even if grown from tubers, just because of the nature of their care.

These plants may not fit well with a xeric style and annuals that do, don't come readily to mind. Hey! I'm on Pacific Standard time here ...

:o) Steve

Original Author
    9 years ago

If your climate is at all similar to my experience in "Pacific standard time" it definitely wont fit here, but, I have really only been on the west side of the Cascades (I did drive through Spokane once though).

I definitely shouldn't rule out annuals, and I DO have a packet of Zinnia linearis (Z. augustifolia) seeds around here somewhere that I could start and use for front of the border instead of blue grama, if they would tolerate a dry site.

Dahlias and such I imagine prefer a wetter site, which I do have up closer to the house thanks to a downspout, though, it is currently inhabited by noxious strawberries and raspberries and other stuff that has been deposited by chance.

Thanks for the great suggestions! And I have done a little more looking into non-spiky things myself. I like the Helianthus, I might like that up there by the planter. OR, I could even put something IN the planter, but I don't know if anything would overwinter above ground very well. Maybe an annual sunflower, or coneflower, since I would be able to water it by hand, separately, IF it would overwinter.

Some other things that might work well, from what I have seen (however, those of you with actual experience can tell me right or wrong on this). Hopefully, Im the right track with "non-spiky" things, but, maybe I'm missing the pint entirely (that happens when you're not very bright, like me)

Asclepias tuberosa the orange butterfly weed
    Sundrops and primrose (but I think primroses can be very agressive and can take over can't they? I don't want another situation like I've got with "snow on the mountain!)
    Red valerian (Jupiter's beard) to me it looks similar to Joe Pye Weed, but a more compact plant. Some list it as low water others, moderate? Another one that may be a poor choice due to its Hun like nature.
    Zinnia linearis, as I have mentioned, or maybe the perennial Z. grandifolia?
    Or I could go with a short and a tall Gaillardia of different colors (one more red, the other more yellow).

I haven't had a chance to really investigate the lists Skybird sent me, so those are just some I have come across in a quick look through of some catalogs, books and websites. Unfortunately, my wife will probably be upset if she comes home today and sees me planning gardens AGAIN so I have to run off and get some chores done, and homework haha.

Thanks for input Steve and Skybird, it's been really helpful!

• digit
    9 years ago

Southern Idaho is on Mountain time but northern Idaho is on Pacific.

British Columbia is also on Pacific time except for a large section in the north that looks like a leaping Merino sheep, in outline. That area is on Mountain time except in the summer. You see, it doesn't shift to daylight savings so, when the remainder of the province springs ahead (!) both the other parts of British Columbia AND the leaping sheep, share the same time!

Oh yeah! I'll provide a link and then head off to my natural environment in Narnia only several degrees south . . . through my back fence. This conversation about perennials by more knowledgeable folks is just getting too deep for me.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: BC's Peace River Area Time

• david52 Zone 6
    9 years ago

I grow some of the stuff on your list-

May Night salvia is nice, I have mine mixed up with "Blue Hill" salvia, the two shades together are a show stopper pretty much through may-june. Then they kind of spread out/fall over. I just leave mine alone and water them now and again, they will re-bloom in the fall when it cools down a bit. Or you can whack them back so they look a little better and they'll still re-bloom.

Blue blazes agastache - that is one spectacular plant. It gets pretty big, 4 feet high, but that will bloom from August through September. You have to watch out that the roots don't get soggy for too long over the winter. I planted 5 of the things about a foot apart towards the rear of one bed - and its just a mass of flowers.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Awesome, David! That really helps! I might skip the salvia, though, I do like it a lot, and use lavender instead, for no other reason than to maintain continuity though both sides of the yard. Of course, I could also just plant salvia on both sides, as well lol.

That's a great list! I know we talked about it some over at WSing, I have columbines and Rocky Mountain Penstemon seeded, but that's for a different area, and assuming the grow. Once again, I might add some RMP to this bed in an effort to keep a good flow between the two halves of the yard, rather than having them both look separate and disjointed.

I have a couple books I picked up recently, one is a CSU publication "best perennials for the Rocky Mountains and High Plains" and another that was co-authored by a lady at the Arboretum at Flagstaff, and another who works at Grand Canyon National Park called "Native Plants for High Elevation Gardens." Not everything in that one pertains to the Denver area, but, it's a good resource, nonetheless. I have one I bought last year called "Xeriscape Colorado: The Complete Guide" but that is at my brothers house in Thornton and I haven't had the chance to drive all the way up there and get it.

I want to get started too, but, I also want to have a concrete plan in place before I start ripping out sod. Otherwise, it may end up never getting done, or done half a$$ed.

Original Author
    9 years ago

So here is a revised list, that I'm hoping we can work with a little better. If anyone knows any cool-color, non-spikes that will work in 'dry' conditions you could reccomend... Still trying to work through those extensive lists, Skybird!! I will see if I can draw out a tentative plan and post it on here in between writing a biography for class tonight.

Agastache rupestris Sunset Hyssop
    Agastache x 'blue blazes' or the species A. foeniculum
    Lavendula angustifolia Hidcote lavender
    Bouteloua gracilis Blue grama grass ‘Blonde Ambition'
    Zinnia linearis Narrow leaf zinnia ‘summer solstice’
    Helianthus maximiliana Perennial sunflower
    Gaillardia x grandiflora blanket flower ‘sunset flash’

Just had a thought... The sunflowers may be a bad idea... Every time I try to grow sunflowers (usually every year, the annual ones) the dang-nab squirrels wreak havoc on them.

This post was edited by ZachS on Fri, Feb 6, 15 at 13:51

9 years ago

REALLY discouraged! Just checked to see, since some of us had been talking about "long posts," and now part of the info I had posted above for you is MISSING! HOUZZ, I think you better stick to HOUSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Original Author
    9 years ago

I emailed them about this particularly annoying (egregious may be a better word) problem. As far as I can tell, it's my only MAJOR problem with the transition at this point. After the initial shock, I am slowly figuring out how it works and getting more comfortable. Hopefully they will fix this though. I am able to see the full response though (see my reply in the other thread), and I will copy/paste it!

• vlselz
    9 years ago

Hi Skybird, & ZachS. Not sure if I met you ZachS. but I met you Skybird at the last spring swap (my 1st time) Im still pretty new to all this and "thought" I had it all figured out and then gardenweb had to link with Houzz... ARGH!!! Anyways I love gardening with both annuals (in pots mostly) and perennials (b/c I love not having to redo that spot of the garden every year) If I'm able to have it Skybird can I get a copy of the lists you sent ZachS "gardening with Skybird etc? I sure they're pretty informative lists and ones I like to ponder on =) If Not I totally understand =) My fav's are going to have to be Blackeyed Susan, Cone-flowers of all colors, planted "Bee Balm" last year and WOW love those, Penstemon "firecracker, Rocky Mnt & others color/varieties. A great place to look for nice annual/perennials is CSU. My son goes to school up there and I love to visit the trials garden. Online they have a yearly list of what they liked and what didn't work etc. try talking a look =) Goodluck & thanks

Original Author
    9 years ago

You can just call me plain old Zach if you want ;). "Zach" was taken on the old GW so, I added my last initial to it haha.

I wanted to try some bee balm this year in a spot (not the one the post is about), but I guess it's a powdery mildew magnet, and after last years PM infestation I think I will be avoiding it. I also like cone flowers, a lady down the street has tons of them and the bumble bees flock to it.

I am curious about the CSU thing... I know they are in partnership with the Denver Botanic Gardens and together do a lot of work with Plant Select, where do I find this list?!

• vlselz
    9 years ago

http://www.flowertrials.colostate.edu/ Here is the link, then you go under their list whether its annuals or perennials your looking for they have info about the plant, how it did etc for quite a few years back. Hope this helps at all =)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thats a good list! Thanks!

Just curious what you all think of this idea? There's still too many spikes isn't there? I was looking through one of my books that says fall planted bulbs do well in a low water situation because they are dormant through the driest months, I could fill in some of the spaces with bulbs, to "round" things out a bit as well as give something to look at in the early season? Is that a bad idea?

Is it too open and "desert" looking?

Also, while I tried my best, it's not exactly to scale and I ran out of paper so I couldn't fit in the whole fence line...

Sorry if it's hard to see, colored pencil doesn't exactly scan well...

• digit (ID/WA, border)
    9 years ago

I think it looks great!

I'll go back to the porch now.

:o) Steve

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Steve! No need to go back to the porch, your opinion is probably more valid than mine. All my landscaping experience involves doing what the boss says haha.

9 years ago

Zach, on some thread, not sure which
    one, you said something about your bulbs (crocus?) planted last year weren't
    coming up yet, and you wondered if they had made it! No fear!
    The first year when you plant bulbs in fall, in my experience they
    always come up a little later the following spring than they will in subsequent
    years. I have crocus blooming in FIVE
    different places as of today, but they’re all ones that have been in the ground
    for at least a full year, and some of them for 7 or 8 years. I also have dafs, hyacinths, tulips, and some
    other things up, as much as 6” above the mulch at this point—WAY early for them
    with our warm winter, but the dafs, hyacinths, and other bulbs I planted this
    past fall and over winter still aren’t showing at all yet, even when I dig down
    into the mulch. That first year they
    seem to put a lot of effort—and time—into establishing their root system before
    they start to send anything upward! Based
    on my experience, I’d be VERY surprised if something happened to them that they
    never came up for you! Just be patient
    this first year! Next year, if I’m right
    that it was crocus, you’ll most likely start seeing foliage sometime in
    January!

I haven’t had time, yet, to comment on
    your sketch, but, what are the plants in the pic? I’m sure there’s Russian Sage in there, and
    the Gaillardia in front, but what are the others? That’ll help figure out how they’re all gonna play together!

Skybird

Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, good Skybird! That makes me feel a lot better about them! I planted tulips in the spring last year, and relocated some irises about the same time. Those are all starting to put on growth, but I covered all the parts that are sticking out today in preparation of this weeks cold spell.

So here is a labeled version of the picture:

1- a blue agastache (like blue blazes, or the species A. foeniculum)
    2- narrow leaved zinnia (Zinnia linearis)
    3- either a blue avena grass or Yucca filementosa (like Adam's needle)
    4- rocky mountain penstemon (which I might trade out for a round flower).
    5- hidecot lavender
    6- gaillardia
    7- A. rupestris
    8- blonde ambition blue grama

(Have I mentioned not being able to italicize Latin names is really irksome to me?)

• grouchygardener
    9 years ago

Nice layout and drawing, Zach! I'm jealous of your skills. Care to do one for me? hehe :P I love giallardia so much, I bought two last year and I'm sure to get several more this year. I'm going to look up that blonde ambition, I need more yellow.

Sorry for derail, but I have questions!:

Have you started your peppers? I've been starting since January, in case of trouble. So far, so good! I found a cool way to help germinate them - soak them in slightly warm tea for 2 mins before planting in starter soil. Everything but my Cayanne, Jamaican Hot Chocolate, Asian Santaka and Ancho has come up. The Ancho did germinate in a papertowel, however. I did it a couple of ways and experimented. I'm doubtful about the Cayanne but I hold out hope for the JHC, since it's superhot and might take longer. I think I might end up with way more than I can use/plant. I should look into the swap.

Have you done any wintersowing? If so, don't forget to put up your count on the wintersowing forums. Our zone is losing to zone 6, and 7 is not far behind.

GG

Original Author
    9 years ago

Sure, send me some pictures of your yard. I charge, though (I am a starving college student here haha). The blonde ambition is a pretty neat ornamental grass. Definately something different than the Karl Foester feather reed that is EVERYWHERE. I thought it was going to be too big, but I'm glad I found a way to fit it in, so hopefully it will work out. Did you know blue grama is the state grass of Colorado? Now, if I get some columbines, I will have a very state centric landscape, though how I'm going to attract the bighorn sheep and stegosaurus to my yard might be a bit trickier...

I have not. I had wrote down to start them yesterday, but I am trying my best to wait until next week. Skybird has got me distracted with birds, so that's helping lol. I curious, what is the tea for? I have always just imbibed with water?

I only have 6 winter sown things out there it helped me survive through January. I am going to do dill with WS and see if I can't get it to grow. If that doesn't work, well I guess that's it on my attempts at growing dill!

• gjmancini
    9 years ago

vary your heights of ornamental grasses. I have some of the really tall miscanthus out at the Westminster house, i love them. Just purchased some 10ft white pampas'. There beautiful in every season.

• vlselz
    9 years ago

Hey Zach, I found this awesome site where the lady posted her pictures of her perennial bed and thought of you making your lists/ ideas etc. When you check out the pictures on her page she also gives a "complete list" of plants she used =). Hope this helps, she also has a list for xeriscape, shade gardens, etc for anyone else interested =) Here is the link to her perennial page with the lists: (hope i set up the links right haha)

Backyard gardener Perennial list with pics

Also here is her facebook page with other info & pics for you all to enjoy =)

BYG Facebook Page

Original Author
    9 years ago

I will definitely keep that in mind, Gloria! So far, I am only planning on the blue grama, but I am on the hunt for some others for under a clump of aspens I have, particularly mountain muhly, pine dropseed, or Arizona fescue. Though, most places I have found don't have a big selection of native bunchgrasses. Pampas grass is really nice, but it is huge and I HATE cutting it back, it makes me break out and itch like crazy. Miscanthus' aren't really my favorite, I don't know why...

That's a great website! Thanks! I also won a copy of the book Colorado Wildscapes on a plant I.D. contest on facebook from Audubon Rockies that came in the mail last night. It's loaded with ideas.

• grouchygardener
    9 years ago

I'm going to get a couple pampas grass this year. I need something really huge in the front to block the view inside my front door from the street. Grouch gotta grouch, you know? Hehe.

I have a couple Karl Foresters in the back to hide utility boxes, so they serve their purpose, but, ya, they are everywhere. I'm wintersowing some Bunny Tail grass this year and even though it's an annual here it will be a fun addition as a shorter grass and I'm sure my kids will pull every bunny tail off (two years ago my jackmanii was defrocked because "watching the purple petals fly in the wind" was fun ... ack).

GG

Original Author
    9 years ago

I have KF's too, 3 of them. They are leaving this year I think, or, at least moving somewhere else, not sure where. My mother wants me to grow some bunny tails, If I do I will probably put them in a pot for her. I wonder if I could get away with DS them in the spring?

I am also taking out a clematis. It's been here for 4 years and the most flowers I have ever seen is 2. I get lots of new shoots every year, but the clematis wilt kills almost all of them back, so, it's leaving.

Another project is the, what I call, "wasteland" where the bird feeders are. All it has in lava rock, a quince tree, some weak sickly lilac suckers and the DREADED aegepodium!!!!! I want to take all of it out and replace it with some shrubs, like skunkbrush. It also is terraced down towards the backyard, so, I might put a gambel oak or two on one of terraces. They can spread there, I don't really care. I figure it will provide some nice cover and maybe some food for the birds when they come to the feeders.

On the note of the new perennial bed, I was wondering, does the "deserty" look of the current plan mesh well with the Aspen tress or should I try to match them with more foresty/woodland type plants?

• amester
    9 years ago

Hi, Zach - my whole front yard is xeric perennials so I probably have TOO many opinions but I love the direction you're heading. 'May Night' salvia is rampant invasive in my yard but that doesn't seem to be others' experience. I yank them up like weeds if I can't give them away. And our sunset hyssop is a universal favorite - such a great plant.

I think all of that will work with the aspen but make sure they'll get enough sun. Xeric plants are sun hogs and may not do well under trees. Aspen are kind of airy themselves so I think it would work fine visually.

I'll second ornamental grasses! My favorite is chasmanthium latifolium but I also grow Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Hameln', Helictotrichon sempervirens and miscanthus.

I usually have lots of Skybird's famous yellow columbine if you'd like some freebie plants. :) I'll keep an eye out for extra hyssop and penstemon (I have 'Pikes Peak' and 'Red Rocks' too but they don't volunteer as heartily.

Original Author
    9 years ago

My saving grace with those aspens is the facing exposure. The sun hits them from the front, and from the "right" (looking at the photo), so the shade is cast onto the street and, unfortunately, my tomatoes (but, it's never seemed to slow them down, probably because they get a lot of morning sun, when the shadow is on the street).

I am glad to hear that you think they will fit. I really didn't want to go back to the drawing board, that's A LOT of work. I still might do some tweaking, but overall, I think I'll keep it as is. I'm glad because I really didn't want to give up the sunset hyssop, one of my favorites!

On the OG front, what do we think of some Schizachyrium scoparium, little bluestem? I found it pretty common in the open areas of South Valley Park while I was hiking this morning so I'm thinking it will fit well into my "scrubland wildscape" project and may help tie it into the overall scheme of the yard?

I do love freebies! Course, I don't want to be a mooch, so let me know if you want any vegetable starts ;). My only concern is that Aquilegia being so promiscuous, and I want to have Rocky Mountain blue. of course, I can always find a spot for the caerulea in the backyard to help mitigate any crossings, I think the yellow would match better with the other plants I have, maybe replace the annual zinnia.

• amester
    9 years ago

Go ahead and be a mooch! I wasn't going to angle for an exchange but I haven't gotten to any veggies yet so we might just have ourselves a good trade situation!

As long as the columbine aren't on top of each other I don't think crossing will be an issue. Front/back yard should be enough distance. The yellow is also a lot hardier so maybe save the blue for a spot where you can baby it a bit more. Schizachyrium scoparium would work beautifully.

I'm going out to do some yard cleanup this weekend, I'll see what I have and let you know. :)

9 years ago

Hi Zach,

Well, it only took me a month to get back to this
    thread! When I saw your comments about
    columbine I figured if I didn’t do it now
    I’d forget about it again!

No fear with the two columbine you’re talking about! They’re both straight species and won’t cross
    with each other! If you ever plant any
    hybrid varieties, I’m not sure if the A. chrysantha and/or the A. caerulea will
    mess with them if you collect seed, but, in my experience, the hybrids rarely
    come true from seed even if you only have one of them! My impression is that getting the “same
    thing” from seed from a hybrid is totally hit or miss! But the yellow and the Rocky Mountain blue
    you can plant right side by side, and no problem at all! WELL!
    Maybe ONE problem! The yellow
    one, at least, will come up EVERYWHERE!
    When I used to give them away I always warned everybody “what was gonna
    happen” if they went to seed! I’ve
    considered taking mine out because of the Seed Problem, but I really like them,
    so, for now at least, I’m keeping them!
    I do try to keep the seedheads clipped off before they ripen—but that’s beyond a tedious task, and I’m pretty
    sure it’s impossible to get them all! I
    got an A. caerulea seedling from Barb a couple years ago, and it bloomed pretty
    nicely this past summer and now I have a couple seedlings coming up around
    it—but will need to wait to see if they’re blue—or yellow! The two are right across the walk from each
    other—and the yellow seed goes everywhere!
    If you decide to get both, keep in mind that the yellow one will be
    taller than the blue—it gets about 3’ tall.
    (The yellow one is fragrant, but how much seems to depend on “the
    weather” or something! Like barometric
    pressure possibly! But sometimes it can
    be very fragrant, and sometimes you can hardly smell it!)

About the ornamental grasses you’re talking about. I just want to be sure you realize that the
    Schizachyrium will probably reseed all over too if you decide to go with that
    one. Pretty much all the native grasses
    will do that—logically—since most of them are the grasses from the tall and
    short grass prairies of the plains—and that’s how they spread to “create” the
    grasslands! I was at the Oglala National
    Grasslands in the panhandle of Nebraska in early June one year, and it is an
    amazing sight to behold! But I don’t
    think that’s quite the look you’re going for in your yard! So consider that before making your
    decision. (Check out the OG grasses
    sheet I emailed for reseeding info.)

My favorite OG is the BIG Miscanthuses! But you already said they’re not your
    favorites—and I think they’d make too much shade for what you want to do
    anyway. But the pine in my front yard
    died last fall—pine beetle I believe—and I’ve decided I’m gonna put a BIG
    Miscanthus out there instead of putting in another tree! The tall ones do get big enough to provide a
    little privacy, and it should hold up most of the winter for winter interest.

The other grass I have that’s a real favorite of mine is
    Panicum virgatum ‘Heavy Metal’, switch grass.
    It has steely-blue foliage, and the seedheads are real “wispy,” so it
    wouldn’t mess with your sun if you should decide to check it out and like
    it. [I could find a couple pics to email
    to you if you’d like—since I’m not posting pics anymore!] And Panicum is supposed to work in part
    shade, so it would work with the aspens if you're still not sure what you’re
    gonna use there—and it’s drought tolerant—and can take wet conditions too!

I really like my ‘Elijah’s Blue’ Blue Fescue too! Makes a nice, short accent near the front of
    a garden! Might have some of those to
    give away at a swap next year again—but not this year yet!

Here’s a link to the best “grass reference” I’ve ever found
    online!

http://www.bluestem.ca/grass-comparison-chart.htm

Hyssop! I’ve never
    met an Agastache that I didn’t like! And
    the hummers love them too! Unfortunately
    I don’t have FULL sun, which they really need, and because of other things near
    the ones I’ve had, they got too much water, but I recommend you check out more
    varieties and pick more than just one kind!
    They all have slightly different scents!
    We used to sell one called ‘Double Bubble Mint’, and it was just crazy
    how it smelled like bubblegum! And we
    had a ‘Tutti-Frutti’ too!!! BUT! I noticed you mentioned A. foeniculum—and
    that one reseeds VIOLENTLY! Another
    straight species plant, and If you decide to put one of those in, I seriously
    think you’ll wind up regretting it! I
    HAD one! And, unlike the yellow
    columbine, I DID decide to deep six it!
    Millions of seeds—and I’m pretty sure every single one of them
    germinated! (Wasn’t a particularly
    pretty plant either!)

“I was wondering, does the
    "deserty" look of the current plan mesh well with the Aspen tress or
    should I try to match them with more foresty/woodland type plants?”

Based on your sketch, I don’t really think your new bed is
    gonna look that “deserty!” You mentioned
    possibly using a yucca, but even with that, in the absence of a bunch of cacti
    or something, I don’t think anybody will be thinking “desert” at all.

Lavender! Just want
    to be sure you realize that that’s gonna reseed “freely” too! That’s one I like it when it reseeds, but
    just want to be sure you’re aware of “the issue!” (And if you wind up with too many of them,
    people are always looking for them at the swaps!)

Rocky Mountain Penstemon is real pretty when it’s
    blooming—but it doesn’t bloom for very long!
    Again, just so you know! There
    are a LOT of really cool Penstemons! I
    recommend trying a couple/few different kinds!

If you’re interested and you’re coming to the swap, I spent
    this afternoon digging up, and this evening potting up about a dozen Helianthus
    maximilianii, perennial sunflower. It’s
    big (6’)—maybe bigger than you want—but it has a composite flower (daisy!), and
    it’s yellow—and you were talking about more “round” flowers! And it would be FREE! The drawback is that it SPREADS—underground
    by rhizomes! Mine is in BAD clay, and it
    took several years for it to “take off,” but take off it has! And mine doesn’t get enough sun—and too much
    water—so it never looks good, but I keep it around thinking I might find a
    place in the front yard to move it to some day—hot full sun! It NEEDS FULL
    sun!

A heads up about the Gaillardia! It is xeric, but it seems to be one of the
    xeric plants that “wilts” to conserve moisture!
    So you may find it looks like it’s “about to give up the ghost” when
    it’s in hot sun—but it’s actually just fine!
    At least that was my experience when I was selling them! I’ve always wanted a ‘Fanfare,” but haven’t
    gotten around to getting one, so I haven’t actually grown it in the ground
    myself!

Trying to think of a few more composite xeric things!

Catananche caerulea is supposed to be xeric! It’s one of my favorite things—tho mine died
    a couple years ago and I haven’t gotten another started yet! Comes in a pretty blue (lavender!) and a
    really cool (I think!) white with a dark eye too!

For yellow, we used to sell the Coreopsis grandiflora and
    lanceolata (broad leaf) as xeric, but I have a little trouble, personally,
    believing that! I have ‘Baby Sun’, which
    I LOVE, but I keep mine WET, and it seems to like it! Maybe they’re another one of those plants
    that can “go either way!”

The upright sedums are another possibility! They used to go by Sedum spectabile, but I
    think the species got “dropped” at some point and they now just go by “Sedum x”
    and the variety! They’re the ones like
    ‘Autumn Joy’, but there are some incredible ones with very dark purple/red
    foliage. I have two of them but can’t
    think of the names right now. They bloom
    late, and the bees love them so much they look like they’re drunk when they’re
    on the flowers! Also usually stay up for
    winter interest—depending on the snow!

That’s all the “round flower” ones I can think of right now
    that are drought tolerant. But I did
    think of another one that’s “close to” a spike!!! You haven’t mentioned Solidago,
    goldenrod! Kind of like a spike—that
    doesn’t stick “straight up!!!” I have
    ‘Golden Baby’, about 18-24”, and I can get at least two blooms out of it if I
    cut it down promptly!

About the only other thing I’m thinking is, if you’re
    looking for a “scrubland wildscape,” I wonder if you want to keep it quite as
    “symmetrical” as it appears to be in the drawing! Or maybe in real life it won’t look quite so
    much that way since it really isn’t identical plants “on both ends,” and
    throughout.

Right after I found GW I started posting on the Perennials
    Forum—until I couldn’t deal with the A-TI-TUDE anymore—and left! That’s when I found RMG! But while I was “over there” one of the Knows
    The Truth types posted once that you should NEVER have a perennial garden with
    just ONE of each kind of plant! Called
    it a “polka dot” garden! Well! It seems I have a polka dot garden! And I LOVE it! I don’t have much room, and I always want to
    try something else, so, in almost all cases, I wind up with One Of Each! Because there ARE so many very cool
    Penstemons and Agastaches—and other stuff, I kind of wonder if you might not
    want to consider a polka dot garden too!
    That way you could have more “different” things, rather than repeating
    some of them.

I’m sure glad there’s not a limit for the length of posts
    anymore,

Skybird

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Amester and Skybird! Just wanted to say thanks and I'm not ignoring you, I was out of town for the weekend so I will get back to you all tomorrow or later this week!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Amester,

I should have some leftover mushroom and hot lemon peppers maybe some hab's. If you like hot peppers, I will set some aside for you. I will also (hopefully) also have some extra eggplant (galine and diamond). I just put the seeds in yesterday, so we'll see what pops up. In a couple weeks I will start tomatoes; black sea man, nineveh (which was a first time in garden last year and preformed amazingly), orange blossom, and better boy. If any of that stuff sounds good to you, I can definitely trade them for some perennials.

Skybird,

I had been doing some reading on the columbines, and they appear to be short lived, so, I was hoping they would just seed themselves to keep a healthy population on their own. I am pretty bad at growing flowers from seed, so, I was going to just leave them to their own devices to do the work for me! That's one reason I am looking at growing the species Aquilaegea rather than hybrids. The fact they wont cross is a good peace of mind.

The Panicum looks like it might be a good replacement for the bluestem. Though, looking it up, it does get quite a bit taller the "the blues" variety I was looking at. I will have to do a little more looking into it I guess. I bought some blue fescue seed because it is reportedly just about the easiest OG to grow from seed. I may try it yet, but, I'm a little concerned about space indoors here.

I put a hyssop in my brothers yard last year that smelled like bubblegum. I really did like it. The ONLY reason that I settled on straight A. rupestris is because I want to TRY growing it from seed to help augment the overall cost of the project. Of course, on the high probability that it doesn't work out in my favor, I will definitely be searching around for other contenders lol. So, since the. A. foeniculum straight species is so bad, what do you think about Kelly Grummons' "blue blazes" hybrid instead? Does it also have the same Hun-like tendencies? maybe it's a little better looking? David highly recommended it a little further up the comments.

Lavender is not something that reseeds for me very well. I have 2 of them that flower profusely and draw bees like a magnet, but, I get maybe 2-3 seedlings a year that pop up around them. The originals are starting to get kid of ratty looking, so, I'm leaving the replacements to take their place. Are they easy to transplant? I do have one small one I was hoping to dig and move to the new space, once again, to help cut costs by not having to buy every single plant.

Sunflowers are some of my favorite flowers and I plant annual ones every single year. The only problem I have with them is that the squirrels always rip them to shreds to eat the seeds. So I never get to enjoy them for very long before I go out one morning to find a bare stalk and pieces of the flower head all over the ground. They don't even bother waiting for them to ripen!

I would love to try the different penstemons, you are right that there are so many cool ones. I had originally planned to put the strictus in the back, that way it would be kind of hidden once it's done blooming in the early part of the season. I planted some seeds of it back in January just to see if they would do anything, and I looked yesterday, I did get a half dozen or so to germinate, though whether or not they will make it past that stage of life is remains to be seen. If they do, I will plant them, as you said they do look very nice, even if its just for a little while.

Just looked up all the flowers you mentioned, the sedum I like and the Canatache I really like! It reminds me almost of a fancy version of flax, which I was looking at earlier.

The scrubland is in a different spot of the yard, kind of tucked away around the side of the house. It's still technically part of the front yard though, so I want to have some way of stitching it all together, such as having a common plant (or plants) running throughout.

With that being said, with the "polka dot" garden you mention, that wouldn't be an issue!

Thanks a lot Skybird, you've given me a lot to work with and think about!

9 years ago

Hi Zach,

If you’re hoping for a reply from me, I think you lucked
    out!!! I was out for about an hour
    cleaning winter’s ratty leaves off of a big patch of Ajuga, and, all hunched
    over as I was, I did “something” "semi-catastrophic” to my back—so I can’t “move”
    right now, but I CAN (painfully!) sit!
    And I can type!

The yellow columbine is not short-lived. My “original” one at this house has been in
    for at least 9 years, and it’s doing just fine.
    Older small “plantlets” die out at the base of the plant each year, and
    when I clean them up I just pull out any pieces that are old enough to come out/off
    easily. That helps to open up the middle
    of the plant so the new “plantlets” can grow back into the middle to keep it
    full looking. I do have a problem (with
    all columbine I’ve ever had) with APHIDS—really bad! Because of that I now start pretty early to
    spray them with my Cures Everything Palmolive Soap Water—I totally drench them,
    and then, depending on what I see, I repeat it every 2-3 weeks during the summer. I’ve learned that if I wait till the aphids
    are “obvious,” I’ve waited WAY too long.
    It’s much easier to treat preemptively than to wait till the whole plant
    is “sticky” and starting to look bad! I
    keep a 2-gallon pressure sprayer filled with soap water all summer, and I’m
    often running around spritzing things!
    I’ve also had a serious problem with snails in the crown of the
    plants. I have 4 plants now, and one
    year they all started to die! I didn’t
    have a clue, and I started digging around at the base of one of them to see
    what was going on—and I found the crowns of the plants totally “embedded” with
    snails. Cleaned out as many as I could
    find, removed all the dead, dying, and seriously injured “plantlets,” leaving a
    very small plant in each place. I
    sprinkled slug bait around the base of each, covered it all up with new bark
    mulch—and waited! In a couple weeks they
    were growing back nicely again! Besides
    the soap water, I now tend to put slug bait around the columbine a couple times
    a summer! Assuming your area will be
    dryer than where mine are, I don’t think slugs/snails will be a problem for
    you, but growing the plants dryer could possibly increase the aphid problem!

The blue columbine!
    Yes, I do believe A. caerulea might be short-lived! Especially down here in the lowlands! I’ve only had mine for about 3 years now, so
    I’m not sure about that. But A. caerulea
    IS a high altitude plant and is going to naturally like cooler conditions. I recommend you plant that back under/near
    the aspen, or somewhere where it will be partly shaded and that you think will
    be the coolest part of the area. The
    columbines aren’t generally considered to be xeric. I do think the chrysantha would lean more
    toward xeric than the caerulea. My blue
    is in a narrow strip on the west side of my house between my two story house
    and my neighbor’s two story house, so in summer it’s in shade till the sun gets
    high enough to be “over” my house, and then is in shade again when it gets
    behind the neighbor’s house. But even in
    the few hours it’s in the (full) sun, I can tell it’s not real happy. If the two seedlings that are coming up turn
    out to be blue I’m gonna move them to somewhere that’s partly shaded and cooler
    and see what difference it makes!

Before I forget! With
    the “flowers” you’re starting from seed, don’t keep them too wet! Once they have their two seed leaves start
    letting the soil dry about halfway down into the pot before re-saturating! That’s really, really important! Not only does it keep the roots from rotting,
    but it also promotes good root growth as the roots need to “look” deeper and
    deeper in the pot for moist soil. A
    little wilting does little or no damage, too wet can kill! And when they’re tiny it’s so much more
    important because they use so very little water, so the soil stays wet much
    longer than it does with a larger plant in a pot. Neglect can be a very good thing at
    times—and, yes, I have a problem overwatering seedlings too! They just look so helpless! (They’re not!)

I’m not sure what you’re gonna get with your blue fescue
    seed—but I’d be very surprised if it turned out to be very blue! I have ‘Elijah Blue’, the bluest one I know
    of, and I started out happily giving away the—very easily collected—seed to
    anyone who was interested (I was warning everyone that if the seed germinated I
    didn’t think the seedlings would be blue!)
    After a couple years I was surprised to find no seedlings coming up
    around it, so I proofed some seed—and nothing germinated! Then I asked my friend who used to be the
    perennial grower at Paulino’s, and she said that it’s sterile—as are many of
    the hybrid OGs that are around nowadays, so I don’t know where the seed came
    from that was sold to you as “blue fescue” seed. If you start some, I’d be VERY interested to
    hear what you get. (If you decide you
    want to try blue fescue, I do believe I’ll have at least a few to give away at
    one of next year’s swaps—possibly the fall swap this year.)

A. rupestris (root beer hyssop) was the first one I had—it
    was one of the very early Plant Select plants.
    I had it for several years, but the Agastaches all tend to “slouch down”
    (like Russian sage!), so they take up a lot of room, and because mine didn’t
    get FULL sun, and also got too much water, it “slouched” even more, and just
    kind of wound up all over the place—even when I tried to keep it tied up! Because of my limited space I finally dug it
    up and it—in a few “pieces”—went to the swap!
    Then Hi Alt, one of the years we had an RMG seed swap, was giving away
    seed for a hybrid variety she had, and I was kind of curious about what would
    happen so I got some seed from her. It
    took a couple tries to get one, but I eventually did, and when it got big
    enough to bloom I found that it did have the right scent and color of the hybrid,
    but the flowers were much smaller than the original hybrid (I asked Kelly
    Grummons one time when he was here, just to be sure I was right!) So the flowers were about the same size as
    the A. rupestris rather than the nice large flowers HiAlt had posted pics
    of! I still have that one! It’s still not too big—but like my first one,
    it doesn’t get enough sun, and it doesn’t do all that well. But Agastache falls into the Touch And Sniff
    department as far as I’m concerned, and I love to run my hand over it when I’m
    nearby, so until it gets TOO big like the first one, I’ll probably keep
    it. If I had more sun I’d get a couple
    other varieties of them, just ‘cause I love the scents so much. If you’re interested, the ‘Tutti-Frutti’ is
    A. barberi, and the “Double Bubble Mint” is A. cana—but they’re both old
    varieties, so I don’t know if they’re still around, with the advent of the more
    recent hybrids!

A. foeniculum is generally considered to be the “best”
    licorice herb—if licorice/anise scent is what you want for cooking/baking! That’s more what it’s generally grown for,
    rather than as an ornamental.

I’m not familiar with ‘Blue Blazes’ since I’ve been out of
    the industry for quite a while now! (since 2000!) But, just an FYI! This is Timberline’s LAST YEAR! The entire garden center has been sold and at
    the end of this season it will be demolished and condos are going to be built
    on the land! A sad loss for those that
    are interested in perennials in my opinion!
    Kelly will be continuing his mail order business for cacti and yuccas
    and a few other “desert type” plants.
    I’m gonna include the link here to his “ongoing” business in case
    anybody wants to check it out! I haven’t
    spoken to Kelly yet since I found this out, but I have verified this
    information! So for anybody who’s
    looking for a good selection of Penstemon and other perennials locally, it’s
    this summer or never! Once Timberline is
    gone I think you’ll need to be going mail order for the more unusual
    perennials. (I’m bummed!)

http://www.coldhardycactus.com/

If you’ve only had your lavender a couple years, give it a
    little more time! I think as time passes
    you’ll find more and more seedlings coming up!
    I don’t have a LOT of them, but for me the ones that do come up are
    coming up thru rock mulch and landscape
    fabric
    —two of the very worst things one can find in a garden, IMO! So without all that “mess,” I’m sure I’d have
    quite a few more seedlings than I do.
    But every year I have probably about a dozen new ones showing up. Part of the reason you may not have many yet
    is that you still only have a couple plants that are dropping seed—and are you
    letting the seed ripen on the plants, or are you deadheading before the seed
    ripens? I also think that some of the
    seed might germinate a year or two—or three or four—years after it drops! I just know that after I was in this house a
    couple years, I started having more and more seedlings coming up each
    year. Last year, for the first time, I
    did manage to get a couple of the seedlings “dug up” (more like “cut out” of
    the landscape fabric) and into pots where they DID survive! In the past I’ve wound up “pulling them
    up/out thru the fabric, and stripping all the “outsides” off of the roots—and
    they died. Digging them up in “normal”
    soil shouldn’t be a problem at all. The
    biggest problem will be to remember to IGNORE them AFTER you get them in
    pots! They really NEED to dry out almost
    the whole way before watering again.
    They LIKE dry! Mine are growing
    in hot, full sun in the front yard (in HOT rocks!), and, because there’s “not
    supposed to be anything growing there!” I rarely water in that area. They’re in the worst possible conditions, and
    they seem to thrive! They do, in my
    experience, seem to have a “planned obsolescence!” They live about 3-5 years and then seem to
    just naturally die as near as I can tell.
    Tho I might hasten their demise by cutting them “all the way” down so
    often! But since I have so many
    seedlings coming up, that works for me!
    Old ones go—new ones come! If
    you’re gonna dig yours to just move them, I recommend having the new place
    ready and replanting them immediately.
    Then water them in well—and don’t water anymore—at least not until the
    soil is dry! If they’re very big, I tend
    to “cut things down” at least partway when replanting (in the ground or a pot)
    to make it easier for the roots to support the plant while they’re getting
    settled into their new home and starting to grow in the new soil. If it’s a very small plant I generally don’t cut
    much or anything off.

Just reread your post!
    If by “ratty” you mean your lavender is getting tall and “woody”
    looking, you can prevent that from happening by cutting them down, virtually to
    the ground, at least once a year (3” or less above the ground.) But if they’ve been left to grow taller and
    have gotten woody on the bottom, it’s extremely hard to cut them down at that
    point to get them short and nice looking again, and leaving the seedlings grow
    to “take over” where the old ones were is a good thing to do. (see the pics I’m emailing. Those lavenders are up to 5 years old and
    have been cut all the way down at least once a year, sometimes twice.)

The Helianthus maximilianii I mentioned is a sunflower, but
    it’s a “perennial” sunflower, and it doesn’t have the “sturdy” stems like the
    annual sunflowers have, so I don’t think squirrels would be able to climb them
    to get to the flowers. The flowers are
    much smaller than what you “normally” think of as a sunflower and there are
    multiple flowers on a stem, and also, the seeds are (generally) smaller than
    the annual types. Dan posted a really
    good pic of it once, but I can’t find it, but here’s one of his pics (the first
    one) that gives some idea of how big it gets—but it gets a lot more flowers
    than you can see in this pic! In full
    sun and dry conditions, it really is impressive! (But may be too tall for next to your
    tomatoes—and there’s still the “spreading problem!”)

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2140162/end-of-season-color

Another “round” flower I happened to think of it Echinacea
    palida. While most of the coneflowers
    aren’t considered to be xeric, this one is native to EASTERN Colorado, so,
    yeah, definitely xeric! It has smaller
    flowers than the “regular” purple coneflowers!
    And, uh, palida! Don’t expect it to be BRIGHT purple!

If you’re looking for Penstemon with larger flowers, P.
    barbatus and P grandiflorus will be a couple of the species with bigger
    flowers—but pretty much regardless of flower size, they’re all pretty in their
    own way! One thing you might want to keep
    in mind is, if you check the hummingbird sheet I sent, hummers seem to prefer
    straight species plants to the modern hybrids—apparently hybridizing has bred
    out some of the “good stuff” the hummers like, so that’s just something to
    think about as you’re planning! (But
    hummers WILL go to hybrids too—just not as “happily” as to the straight
    species.)

Don’t worry too much about getting your plan just right! You know perfectly well that in a year or two
    you’re gonna be deciding you like this here
    better than there—or you wanna stick
    one or two of these in where those are now—or this just isn’t working the way you thought it would, so it’s time
    to lose it! It’s called GARDENING—and
    that’s an Active Verb—it just keeps going and going and going…..

I will shortly be sending you an email with pics of the
    things I talked about above—and some other things. If you have questions about any of them, post
    it here!

Polka dot lover,

Skybird

Original Author
    9 years ago

Luck out indeed!!! And thank you so much for the E-mail! Those pictures are amazing! Sorry about your back though, hopefully you are feeling better today!

The blue fescue is from Botanical Interests Seeds. I've had very good experience with their vegetable seeds in the past, so, hopefully that carries through to their ornamentals. You're probably very right that it's unlikely to be very blue, if at all, but, I started some today just the same to see what I get. I think the overall "shape" of the grass is nice, even if it happens to be green.

I do have a good spot in mind for caerulea, Not mixed with the bed in this post, but, in a more shady, cooler spot. Also, the backyard is "shade challenged" so I have lots of places that I can put it back there. If I wind up with some of the yellow, I'm going to try it in this new perennial bed, we will see how it works out I guess. If it doesn't. well, I guess it will be moving to a new home. As you said, gardening is an active verb.

I'm pretty handy at starting veggies from seed, but, in my experience, they are a cake walk compared to flowers. I can't even get annuals to grow for me >:(. Last year, I tried DS Flanders poppies and wound up with a single teeny-tiny little plant that gave me a single flower about the size of my thumbnail. I may be biting off more than I can chew with trying these perennials from seed, but nothing ventured, nothing gained right? It's also downright exhausting trying to find what I'm looking for at the garden centers around here. Last year I was on the hunt for bearded iris and was thoroughly disappointed. Once I did find some, the selection was dismal, and those are COMMON plants, so, I'm prepping myself for even more disappointment when looking for things like a species penstemon! The Tree Farm (in Longmont) website LOOKS like they have good selection of stuff, but, I've dealt with them before and they are not my most favorite place to shop (never mind the drive!)

So, it's pretty sad that Timberline is done for. Just as soon as I discover them! Same thing happened with the Rocky Mountain Seed Co. I discovered them about 4 years after they shut their doors. I guess I need to get my @$$ to Arvada ASAP, once they start putting out their spring plants. I don't want to go the mail-order route either, I like the idea of spending my money on stuff I get to take home now, not receive in the mail in a week or more (especially when it may be of lackluster quality).

The one I planted last year for my brother was 'Sonoran Sunset' from Plant Select (I think that's what it was....). An interesting aside, I BELIEVE that the guy who developed 'Tutti Fruitti' actually posts (or did post) here on GW, I was reading some posts of his, talking about the different Agastache hybrids he had created as a post-doc thesis over in the the salvia forums. I will be scratching A. foeniculum from the list, I guess it's better reserved for the herb garden than my perennial bed. This feels like progress, narrowing down the list of contenders LOL.

The lavender I am ALMOST certain I planted here before I left for the Army, which was in 2007, probably about the same time I put in the Karl Foester FRG and my dad put in the ash trees. Trying to think, I doubt I put in any plants on the rare occaision I got home on leave (most of the time I was back in CO was during the winter). So, the originals are probably working their way to 10 years by now. I don't dead head at all. I leave the old flower stalks and branches until about mid-March and in fact I just gave it it's annual haircut on Monday! The one is starting to die out in the middle, and I've never cut it back to the ground, just enough to take out the old flower stalks and maybe some of the wayward branches. Last year I really did a number on it, with all the dead wood in the center, I almost tore out the whole thing it looked so bad after I was done. I bit my tongue though and waited. By the time it started blooming, the new growth filled it in nicely. They are, like yours, in a spot of total neglect, surrounded by rocks and they only get watered when Ma Nature says so. They are also in straight clay, I didn't know about such things as soil amending when I planted them lol. There is a reason lavender is one my favorites, other than it smells nice and I get swarms of bees, I am fairly certain it is literally impossible to give it too little care.

I like the small flower penstemons, too. I like the red firecracker eatonii and the pinnifolius that has a couple different colors (orange and yellow I think). The reason I didn't include them (and I actually DID at one point in planning) was because I didn't want too many different things going on because I thought that was a no-no and because I made room for some 'composite' flowers based on suggestions here ;). Plus, my luck with actually finding the stuff I want and my luck with starting from seed, I didn't want to be pulling my hair out over every single plant.

I like coneflowers, like, a lot! But like you said, most are not xeric so I had put them out of my mind and said "maybe another time." If I can actually FIND the palida I will be finding a spot for it in the yard. The sunflowers though, you may be right that they are just too big.

"Don’t worry too much about getting your plan just right! You know perfectly well that in a year or two you’re gonna be deciding you like this here better than there—or you wanna stick one or two of these in where those are now—or this just isn’t working the way you thought it would, so it’s time to lose it! It’s called GARDENING—and that’s an Active Verb—it just keeps going and going and going….."

That is very much a true statement. Until now, my gardening experience is pretty much limited to annual vegetable plants. If something doesn't work out, I start over from scratch every year anyways so it's easy enough to change things around haha!

Original Author
    9 years ago

When should I start looking for the types of perennials in the garden centers? The one here by the house already had quite a few, hybrid columbines, some red riding hood penstemons and pansies (and more). But, they also had tomato starts for sale already so I figured I shouldn't take their having something "available" as a cue that it's okay to buy and plant... (To be honest, I seriously call into question the reliability of a place that sells 10" tall tomato plants in mid-March.)

9 years ago

LOL! Was just checking in here before turning off the computer for the nite--and cracked up when I saw your "10" tall tomato" comment! I can tell you, as an "insider," that the garden centers LOVE to sell tomatoes in March! Then, when people (are dumb enough to) plant them outside--and they FREEZE, those same people have to go back and BUY MORE! Makes for really excellent profits!!!

That's all for tonite! I'm gonna be out for much of tomorrow--and really do need to get to bed right now--but I'll be back for more "real" comments--sometime!

Skybird

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thats exactly the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the tomatoes (AND PEPPERS!) for sale yesterday. Resale, resale, resale!

I think I actually shook my head in disbelief when I saw them though and very nearly asked the manager why he would be ordering and selling these things MONTHS before a safe plant-out date...just to see if he would give me the answer I suspected. I held my tongue though and I left after looking at the blooming forsythia and magnolia trees (which also gave me a puzzled look, I'm pretty sure we're not in Mississippi anymore, Dorothy! But hey, maybe there's a more hardy one out there and they are not merely the auspicious symbol of the old Confederacy I always imagined them to be... but I digress)

Thanks Skybird! I am anxiously awaiting lol!

• david52 Zone 6
    9 years ago

Zach, I was out knocking down last years' dead stuff yesterday, and thought of your thread. It took 'em two years to really get established, but I have a mix of agastache Blue Blazes and Desert Solstice, and the two together are stunning. Its one of those things where planting three close together, about a foot apart, two of one variety and one of the other, might give you a real show.

9 years ago

I WAY agree with what David just said! Some things are wonderful when they're "growing into each other." The Penstemon/yellow columbine pic I sent you as an "accident" since I didn't realize the columbine was in the pot when I planted the Penstemon, but for a couple years the yellow columbine flowers would "intermix" with some of the purple Rocky Mtn. Penstemon flowers, and it was really cool! And one year I planted annual larkspur near my 'Becky' Shasta daisy, and seeds from that have dropped into the Shasta and grow there, so when they bloom it now looks like a white and purple--very pretty--flower arrangement! As the larkspur finish blooming I just pull them out by the roots so I don't have all their dead foliage mixed in with the still-blooming daisy. But you can get some really fun and amazing combinations by planting them right side by side!

Am gonna TRY to come back later, probably this evening, for more, BUT, my modem had been on again, off again, on again, all morning, so not sure if I'll be able to today or not!

Skybird

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey David thanks! I remember you speaking highly of the 'blue blazes', so, I will be using that one in the bed, as long as I am able to find them anyways. I know Timberline has them on their "2015 perennials" list (not surprising since the guy who owns the place created it) I just hope my timing is right and I get there before everything is all bought up.

I really like the idea of planting three together, so that the colors mingle with one another, I will keep that in mind when planting.

No worries Skybird, snow is coming this week, a not so welcome reminder that there is still time to work out plans haha!

• david52 Zone 6
    9 years ago

You can get several varieties of agastache at High Country Gardens dot com - Blue Blazes is their hybrid. I wish I had a picture, I think my daughter has one on her camera, if so I'll post one.

Just for fun, here's my combo of Salvia cardonna and blue hill........

Original Author
    9 years ago

HGC has some awesome plants for sale, I've been thumbing through their catalog for weeks looking for ideas lol. Though, if I can get plants locally, I would prefer that because I really don't like buying stuff online in general (a lot of online stores are already selling out of a lot of their stock for the year anyways).

That's a great picture, and a great combo, very cool David!

• amester
    9 years ago

Hi, Zach -
    Buy locally whenever possible! I use the HCG catalog as a reference guide only. A lot of us in the Front Range area are happy to share a lot of the plants that they sell anyway.

I've got to get up to speed on the spring swap - we've been out of town as well and now it's time to play catch-up...the snow slowed down my 'check out the yard for what's available' plan!

I'll check out your veggie list when I'm ready to think about that, thanks! I'm in Highlands Ranch so we could probably do our own swapping pretty easily as well. :)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey! Yeah, that's what I've been using it for myself, just reference. Well, that and just looking through it like a picture book, such great looking plants. Say, you're in Highlands Ranch, how do you find that Wilmore place off County Line and Broadway? I go in there to buy seeds every once in a while, but I've never shopped for plants there. Do you know if they are any good?

The snow slowed me down quite a bit, too, even though it was only here for a matter of hours. I keep telling myself, it was sent as a reminder to me not to get too far ahead of myself. I still have quite a bit of prep-work, and probably quite a few more freezes ahead, so, I need to "curb my enthusiasm."

We could definitely work out our own "swap" if something doesn't work out for us at the "official" one, though, I am definitely going to try to make it in May, something always happens between my intentions and following through. Such is life.