SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mystic_dragon72

Need some ideas to get me started - new here.

mystic_dragon72
15 years ago

Hello everyone! I have been browsing these forums for a couple of months now and after reading through quite a few posts I decided to become a member.

I have been searching online for design ideas for my house. We are renting this property and therefore I really don't want to put a lot of money into buying perennials that I might not see maturing. I do, however, want to put a few perennials in all the garden beds that I plan on creating around the property. It is approximately two acres of mostly grass and trees. There are Sycamore trees (about 5 mature), Maple (1 mature) Black Walnut (about 6 or 7 middle age - 15 to 20ft) a couple Cedars as well as some others that I don't know. I am not allowed to remove any of them and to be honest I don't want to. I would like to do something with the front, perhaps a large island garden of some perennials and a lot of annuals to break up the monotony of all that grass. We are planning on putting in a large (30X20') vegetable garden on the north side of the property.

Here's a bird's eye view of the property. {{gwi:27745}}

I know what I am going to be doing under each tree so that's not an issue, what I'm looking for advice on is the front and back of the house. You can tell from the direction labels on the above photo which way the house faces. As far as soil type, from what I can tell it's sandy loam but not very nutrient rich. I don't know what the pH level is as I haven't had it tested yet but I am planning on getting a truckload of either compost or mulch delivered to condition the soil before planting. I'm starting from scratch here as all the places that I want to put my planting beds are in grass right now. Below are a few more photos of our property.

Front of house (left side of porch, that thin line in all that grass is a two foot wide sidewalk and it's about 5ft away from the foundation, that's where I want the planting bed to be.):

{{gwi:27746}}

Front of house (right side of porch):

{{gwi:27747}}

Back of house (I want to have a hummingbird/butterfly garden on the nearest side of the concrete pad):

{{gwi:27748}}

Different views of trees in back of house:

Maple tree

{{gwi:27749}}

Sycamore trees with view of cedar trees and existing plants.

{{gwi:27750}}

More Sycamore trees as well as some of the Black Walnut trees in the background. You can also see where the vegetable garden will be. That red 'dot' near the house is a coffee container covering our oil tank fill spout.

{{gwi:27751}}

I hope this post isn't too long as I don't want to anger anyone with my first posting but I wanted to give as much information as I could to get some ideas on what I could do.

I guess I should say that the front of the house gets sun in the morning up until about noonish and then the back gets sun from noon through about 3pm as the large trees block most of the afternoon sun, although not all. The part of the house nearest to me in the photo of the back gets the most sun.

TIA for any replies/comments/suggestions.

ttfn

Mystic.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!