SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taraleigh_gw

my new perennial garden, need some help please!

taraleigh
14 years ago

Hi,

I am a pretty new gardener, but a very enthusiastic one! Wondering if someone could provide some advice. I have a garden that will be viewed from two directions. It is along a retaining wall that borders the walk to my front door. So one view is from the walk, and the other is from the street. It is probably about 5 feet by 30 or so.

Because of this I am having a hard time trying to figure out where the taller plants go. So far I am trying not to plant anything much more than 18 inches because it is on a high retaining wall and I don't want my house to look like a fortress :)

I am really torn on the best way to design this garden that will be seen by two angles. I think the most important angle is probably the one coming up the walk. Another problem I am having is wondering if I am mixing flowers that might seem odd together.

For example, today I planted a moonbeam corpeosis next to a asiatic lilly. After I went inside and looked at it, I felt like maybe that wasn't a good move. The lilly seems much more elegant and the corpeosis that I love seems more casual, wildflowerish.... it seems like a more informal type of flower.

I know there are no hard and fast rules, but do people regard mixing plants like these as ok... or a no no?

Are there any plants you would advise me to use, or that you would advise me to avoid? I am afraid to have a garden that only looks good for a short month or two.

So far I have purchased.

2 shasta daisies (I think they were probably 1 gallon containers)

3 types of daylillies... 2 happy returns, and one "pardon me". Anyone have any experience with this one? I am a little nervous about the pardon me because there are no buds on this. when will it bloom and form buds? I am excited for a red day lilly! One of my happy returns is blooming, the other has tons of buds and won't bloom... looks healthy... what gives? Are stella better bloomers than happy returns?

2 dianthus . One was an indian something mix. I am bummed to have learned later this is a short lived plant. It is not in bloom at all right now, but has healthy looking foliage. I hope it blooms in a few weeks...

1 silver mound - love the feel of this

1 snow in summer - so far I love this plant, but heard they can get a little invasive... that is ok with me.

1 veronica spicata (purple color). Very pretty.

3 asiatic lillies.. one is a blackbird (bright red), another is lavender joy (not in bloom yet) and another I forgot the name of but it a light pink with large blooms (tiny todd something I think?)

1 bee balm

1 indian carpet, blanket flower.

3 types of corpeosis, moonbeam, baby sun and another that I am forgetting the name of. 2 gallon containers

1 type of delphinium that doesn't seem to grow too tall. Pretty small blue flowers. Seems to have a lot of buds.

1 type of blue star aster that has tiny bluish white daisy like flowers

1 very large autumn joy sedum. Love this plant, but it seems almost like something that should be planted in desert landscaping.. .ha ha

1 other type of groundcover plant that has blue flowers in the summer but i can't even remember what it is.

In the spring I intend to plant some "basket of gold" and maybe some phlox to hang over the wall (if they don't clash" not sure the basket of gold will work or not with phlox colors.

In the fall I would like to get some types of different kinds of mums or asters if i can find things that will come back year after year and not get too tall.

Any suggestions on what else might work with this garden? I was trying to plant a lot of the corpeosis, sedum and indian blanket in the same area because the colors seemed to go together and I believe they don't need as much water... but i am afraid half my garden will look more casual and wildflower like and the rest of the garden will be a lot more structured looking.

I don't think I thought this out well enough before planting!

Are there any that i have planted that will be high maintenance or not very reliable?

It does look pretty so far though, but I don't know if it makes perfect sense style wise!

Also how much do i really need to amend the soil? I have very sandy soil . I was running out of amendments today. I was mixing the sandy dirt with some garden soil from the bag along with humus/manure... but I don't know if I should have used more of the garden soil and less of the actual sandy lousy soil that we have here.

Any suggestions on plants, design, etc. would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you so much!

Comments (2)