SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisyhair

Lucky in FL with Roses in Pots? and My Abraham Darby!

daisyhair
9 years ago

I am only on my third year growing roses so obviously still very much a novice.

I have 10 roses. All are from David Austin..

Abraham Darby
Tradescant
Queen of Sweden
Queen Elizabeth
Golden Celebration
Pat Austin
Jude the Obscure (x 2)
Eden (x2)

Not sure about Eden but I am hoping I can sweet talk her into growing here.

I've only managed to plant two. Abraham Darby and Tradescant.

Tradescant has hardly EVER bloomed but continues to have healthy foliage. My husband picked this rose out so I am not giving up on it yet. He LOVES red roses.

A.D. is amazing me. It' blooms almost constantly and although has some problem with black spot is doing well (I don't spray). It loses it's leaves from the bottom about 1/3 of the plant.

I'm sure I need to learn better feeding techniques, maybe? BUT It has over a dozen blooms/buds on it this AM. It's almost 7' tall, in late day shade on the wall of my house.

I love it so much I just ordered another.

As for the rest of my D.A. I have been trying to find areas that they like, moving the pots around as the year goes by. I only have so much space with late day shade. I think I am just afraid of failure too!!!

How long have you successfully grown roses in pots?

I just pruned most of the potted ones.

A couple looked a bit ragged and I will be planting them for sure in the next couple of weeks.

Should I move the ones that seem do be doing well in pots into larger pots? One that LOVES being in a pot (all my pots are at least 24") is Lady of Shallot. It's covered in blooms. Looks like maybe a couple dozen!

Jude has also done fairly well in the pot but I need to get at least one in the ground this year.

Several of the roses in pots will be starting their third year with me.

Just curious if anyone in Central FL has luck with roses in pots!?

Comments (9)