SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newbierosarian

I need help with my Abraham Darby

newbierosarian
16 years ago

About a month ago I purchased a 10ltr containerised Abraham Darby from a very reputable mail order company in the UK.

The plant arrived and it was evident it was a few years old because there was a great deal of growth; several canes, fat at the base, mostly upright (with an arching character) but all tapering into very spindly growth at their ends. All the leaves on the rose were slightly smaller than I was expecting but since it was the start of spring, i hoped they would be joined by new seasonal growth.

Anyway, the rose has been in the ground for a month and not much has changed at all. I can see a few (barely) new leaf bud on the ends of those very spindly canes but I honestly don't see much difference. I also find it hard to believe that these canes would be able to support or produce any flowers - they really are very thin at their ends.

My question is, is there anything I should have done/should be doing? I'm reluctant to cut Abe back given that I've heard how much of a fussy grower he is...so what else would you suggest?

Comments (11)