SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

H. Tango or H. LaPaz...it's getting worse!

I thought I would start another thread so that this does not get buried in a thread about H. Papilio!

Yesterday, as mentioned in another thread..."Who am I if not H. papilio?", I wrote my contact at KAVB with our H. Tango vs H. LaPaz identity question. They were very helpful when I registered H. Gordie.

Here is the content of my note, followed by today's response from the KAVB registrant:

Dear _____,

There is "heated debate" here in the USA regarding the two hybrids of Hippeastrum, H. LaPaz and H. Tango. One is being sold as the other and it is clear that they are not identical.

Is it possible that you could send me the written description of each from the Official KAVB Registry so that I can share it with a large group of international collectors and hobbyists? While it is not going to be the end of the world if we cannot resolve this, it nearly is so for those of us who insist on proper labeling of bulbs in our collections!

We see (illustrated in the photos below) that the bloom of what is being sold as H. Tango has tan pedicels, the lower petals are straight and extend outward at ~45-degree angles, whereas H. LaPaz on the right has green pedicels, the lower petals are curving inwards. Generally there are very similar colorations between the two hybrids with subtle differences.

As the Registering Authority, any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
Kindest regards,
____
Spring, TX

Their response follows:

Dear _____,

With reference to your email I am sending you some photos of the two cultivars. A Pdf with de description will help you further, I hope.

The following link http://www.azaleas.org/index.pl/rhsmacfan1.html gives all the colour numbers we have used. They may have the actual colours as well on their site, but I could not find them this quick.

with best wishes,
_______
Taxonomist / Librarian

I have also attached a photo (screen shot) of the photos I sent them and what they returned.

PLEASE NOTE that H. Tango that they registered in no way even resembles the H. Tango that I have and that all of use have been growing. It is clearly different than the registered hybrid H. LaPaz!!!

Here are the descriptions in Dutch and a rough translation to English:
Tango
5 bloemen. Binnenzijde: dorsale helft paarsrood-actig ca. 187B/C maar iets meer oranjeachtig, ventral overwegend groenachtig ca 1C en met zeer fijne roodachtige streping/spikkeling. Helmdraden en stijl lichtgroen-achtig met fijne vlekjes/streepjes. Bloemsteeltje met sterke sterke anthocyaankleuring. Steel met zeer sterke anthocyaankleuring aan de basis. Blad met anthcyaan.

5 flowers. Inside: dorsal half purple red-187B actig ca./C but slightly more Orange like, ventral predominantly greenish ca 1 c and with very fine reddish streaking/spikkeling. Helmet wires and light green-like style with fine spots/stripes. Flower stalk with strong strong anthocyaankleuring. Steel with very strong anthocyaankleuring to the base. Leaves with anthcyaan. (English)

LaPaz
Binnenzijde: donker paarsrood 185A, onderste bloembladen met geeigroene 150C/D streep. Helmdraden geelgroen 150 C/D. Stijl geelgroen 150 C/D. Bloemsteeltje met anthocyaan. Steel met anthocyaan aan de basis. Blad met anthocyaan.

Inside: dark purple red 185A, lower petals, bearing geeigroene 150 c/D stripe. Helmet wires yellow green 150 C/D. style yellow green 150 C/d. Flower stalk with anthocyanin. Shank with anthocyanin at the base. Leaves with anthocyanin. (English)

Part of me is laughing at this whole thing...and I'm ready to call my H. Tango, LaPango (per Hans-Werner's suggestion). My H.LaPaz has been verified as LaPaz...but that plant was a gift last year, was highly virused, and is of no use to me.

Today I responded to their note with kind thanks and asked if they recognized the bloom that we have been calling H. Tango. I'll keep you posted!

THOUGHTS??
Kristi

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions