SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loger1_gw

Different varieties of Red Oaks in different regions IMO

loger_gw
9 years ago

Please excuse my new title trying to get some info/hits on existing post. "Is the attached a sign of Red Oak with a fungus, Etc and dang"

From a little quick research I feel I have discovered we have different varieties of Red Oaks in different regions.

Here in North TX I have never been able to smell a Red Oak while cutting, splitting or burning. I feel that is true in East TX also. I have 10X Smell Ability from recent Sinus Surgery.

The only wood we detected the urine smell from was Weeping Willow found in the bottom land close to water. Split small and plenty TX sun removed the moisture and smell. It was not a hard wood for quality burning but hot. I have passed on Willow and Hackberry since my mid 70s starting experiences. I will still take Elm but some friends w/n.

Two post on another site that helped me to realize we are talking about different Red Oak.

1. Ech! Wife won't allow it in the house
    I don't know how you guys can stand the smell of wet red oak. It smells to me alternately like either urine or vomit, sometimes both. That stuff STINKS!!!! There's more red oak around here than I could turn if I wanted, but I pass on it every time. Stinky!

Mistaken Identity
Mike, you've apparently been involved with "piss-oak", a variety of black oak that not only has that smell when cut, but also when BURNED. I'll not forget the time my old man brought home some "free firewood" and loaded up the fireplace. Spent a cold night in January getting the stink out of the house!

Comments (3)