SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_bablabla75

Live oak or red oak for front yard? (central Texas)

Sarah
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We are building in a suburb of Austin, and we get a tree in our front yard. We can choose between a live oak or a red oak. I think live oaks are beautiful, but the photos I've seen of red oaks in the fall seem great and pretty too. Also, probably the tree they put in will be small, so it won't turn into an epic live oak for a long, long time. The young ones don't seem overly beautiful, imo.

I have heard that there are different kinds of red oaks, but I assume this one will be quercus buckleyi because that's what most sites around the Austin area seem to be talking about. E.g., https://www.austintexas.gov/forest-trail-austin-nature-science-center/texas-red-oak

What do you lovely Houzzers recommend? I'm doing my own research, but if anybody has opinions to share here, I'd love to hear them.

Oh, here's a little about our property: the front yard is mostly level, but we are on ground that slopes gently away towards the side of the front yard and more sharply away towards the back of the house. We will have a sprinkler system. Our house will be a warm white (SW Snowbound). I can't think of any other factors that might be relevant, but feel free to ask!

Thank you!

Edit: here's the front yard diagram. I know it shows two trees, but I think think there will only be one. Presumably the one on the left.

Comments (3)