SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fduk_gw

Would like some advice on teas/chinas in the uk

I have three free choice roses from Beales as a Christmas present this year, and had already started a short list when it occurred to me that this was a good opportunity to try an experiment. I am in the West Midlands in the UK and it doesn't get massively hot here, I think 35c/95f is about the hottest it's ever been.
However, it also doesn't get terribly cold either - if we hit -10c/14f then that is extraordinarily cold. It does get pretty wet in the winters though. Summers here are getting steadily more consistently warm, due to climate change.

So here's the thing - I have a hot spot in my garden. It's against a south facing fence with sharp drainage. The position of trees either side and the step down to the bed from the lawn means that it is naturally sheltered from the wind. In summer, it is in sun from sunrise until 2 hrs before sunset. In the winter it has an hour of shade mid afternoon. The soil in that bed basically never freezes, due to the suntrap effect and I think because it's inclined to be sandy so it warms up faster.
I had a David Austin Eglantyne rose in a pot there last summer, which despite daily watering, I had to move to a spot where there was more shade, because it fried - dropped all its leaves and sulked for the rest of the summer. It was my first intimation that despite what rose books here say, actually you can give roses too much sun.
So my question is, would perhaps a tea or china rose like it better there? I have been hesitant to try any of them so far due to their reputation as being fussy here, but it seems like this might be a suitable spot for them.

The space available is along a 4ft 8 fence (it could be taller, the neighbors that side don't care) and could spread 3ft 6 ish in either direction, and maybe be 2-3ft deep. It wouldn't have to fill all that space, of course but I gather they don't really like being pruned, so that would be the size they could get to before needing to be kept in check. As it's the back of the border, I'd prefer something on the bigger side so I can actually see it!

This is a mid pink border so I was tentatively considering La Vesuve, Old Blush, and Sophie's Perpetual. The teas available here appear to mostly top out at too small for this spot, unless anyone has better knowledge? (I'm just going by their predicted size on the website, having nothing else to go on.)

Does anyone have any thoughts, suggestions? I plan to run drip irrigation through that border for next summer btw - daily watering was beastly, and I'd be stuffed if water restrictions came on, but drip hose is still allowed.

Comments (50)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner