SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aquaeyes_gw

Need size and sun duration info for some Chinas, Polys, Teas, and Misc

AquaEyes 7a NJ
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm expanding my planting areas, and after seeing that my few China and Tea guinea pigs can survive Winters here in protected spots, I did a little shopping. I already have ideas in mind for where roses will go, but some of what I picked have conflicting information regarding size and general habit. Also helpful would be information about sun -- how much is enough, and which will get crisped flowers in midday sun. I also started clearing room in my enclosed-but-drafty back porch, so overwintering pots and barrels there is now possible. For those of you in California and other areas with little or no Winter, I realize that they get much bigger for you, but I'd still appreciate information about shape -- wider-than-tall, narrow-and-arching, etc.

Chinas (I realize some of these are borderline Teas)

'Arethusa'

"Boone Hall China"

'Comtesse du Cayla'

'Cramoisi Superieur'

'Ducher'

"Dutch Fork China"

"Ferndale Red China"

'Louis Philippe' -- I think what I got previously is WPIRDM, so trying again....

'Miss Lowe’s Variety'

'Rival de Paestum'

Polyanthas (I'm hoping to hear of tolerance for less-than-full-sun)

'Blue Mist'

'Leonie Lamesch'

"Lindee"

'Pink Soupert'

Teas (those which get very wide and spreading will probably go in barrels)

'Alexander Hill Gray'

'Alliance Franco-Russe' -- will this fry in midday sun?

'Devoniensis' -- will this fry in midday sun?

'Etoile de Lyon'

'Perle des Jardins' -- will this fry in midday sun?

'Rosette Delizy'

"Thomasville Old Gold"

Misc

'Gruss an Teplitz' -- will this fry in midday sun?

"Maggie" -- will this fry in midday sun?

OK, the planting areas I have are:

1) the brick-lined strip against the neighbor's house, leading to the path through the main beds in the back yard. This is a narrow planting space, but there's room for "spilling over" beyond it. This area gets full-sun from about 8-9am through about 4-5pm, then bright shade. So any which go here need to NOT fry in midday sun. I'm thinking of the larger Chinas, the smaller Teas, and 'Gruss an Teplitz' and "Maggie" as potentials for this area.

2) my little front yard box. The side against the walk to my steps gets full sun, much like the previous area. But just a few feet in there are areas venturing into part sun, dappled sun, and bright shade, thanks to the Japanese maple in the center. It's already dying, so eventually this area will get more sun. I already have to move 'Souvenir du Dr. Jamain' because the part of the tree which used to give it midday shade has already died. I was thinking of the shortest of the Chinas in the sun part, gradually evolving to Polyanthas as the shade increases, and continuing with more Polyanthas in the strip against my house. But the ones I have in mind for there will be for another order in the future. I'll talk about that at another date.

3) pots, and my 22" resin barrels. I learned with my experiment with HTs that they need to go in for Winter here -- maybe not as much for the cold, but melting snow flooded several, and I think they're dead. Those which made it were in areas where the sun melted the snow quickly. I would actually prefer the wide, full, bushy Teas for the barrels. I know the idea of this may be sacrilege for you Californians, but I want to experiment. I'm already seeing that "Bermuda Spice" rebounds well after Spring pruning, and I want to try a few others. I realize that this won't work for all, but as I often say, you're not a real gardener if you don't kill a few plants along the way.

Thanks in advance for all your help. Oh, and I have quite a few other possibilities for Polyanthas for less-than-full-sun, and Teas for growing in barrels, but this first round was based on which on "my list" were actually available from two nurseries I wanted to try out. If others come to your minds, feel free to pass on further suggestions. They may already be in my head.

:-)

~Christopher

Comments (10)