SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aquaeyes_gw

Some of my Chinas and Teas in Central NJ, zone 7a

AquaEyes 7a NJ
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Today I took a couple pics of my 2YO 'Napoleon' growing in a south-facing bed against the neighbor's house -- my neighbors and I share this yard and landlord. Though it gets quite a bit of Winter damage, like the other Chinas and Teas here, our Summers provide enough heat to get them growing again. So here's 'Napoleon', two years since coming as a band from Vintage Gardens, and about five feet tall now.

Here's a close shot at the canes. There is a tree branch stuck in there to "gently guide" a cane's growth direction. My index finger is on that branch. The rest is all 'Napoleon'.

To give an idea of its speed of growth, here's 'Napoleon' in late May of this year, during its first flush. You can see what was left after removing Winter damage, and then filling out a little again.

I decided to take some pics of the Chinas and Teas I haven't planted in the ground. These all came in June of this year. Most were bands, but four were sold in 1-gal containers from Rose Petals Nursery. All are currently in 2-gal nursery liners. Looking back at these pics, it appears as if the roses are all in smaller pots. I tried capturing the whole plant rather than the blooms, and they seem smaller than they actually are. If you are familiar with standard 2-gal nursery liners, you'll know what I mean.

'Alexander Hill Gray' is growing rather upright and narrow now, reminding me of my young 'Lady Hillingdon'. This came as a 1-gal from Rose Petals Nursery.

'Alliance Franco Russe' (probably aka "Fake Perle" in Australia) has been sitting on top of the barrel into which it will eventually be planted, but the spotty leaves tell me that nearby 'Paul Neyron' has been casting a shadow onto it. And so it goes back to the full-sun area to catch up with the others. This came as a 1-gal from Rose Petals Nursery.

'Devoniensis' is surprising me, since I kept reading how slowly it grows. It's currently one of my more vigorous ones, as well as carrying my favorite fragrance among my potted Teas. This came as a band from Rogue Valley Roses.

'Etoile de Lyon' has paler foliage than the others, but it doesn't seem to be chlorotic. I know this one gets big and bushy for you Californians, but here I'm hoping it simply fills a 22" barrel. This came as a 1-gal from Rose Petals Nursery.

If this is how a baby 'Homere' grows, I can understand gardeners' frustrations when it's planted in the ground. However, I think that when raised above the ground in a barrel, that horizontal growth will look nice draping over the edge. This came as a band from Burlington Roses.

'Perle des Jardins' doesn't have the foliage issues for me that I hear it has in CA, which I ascribe to it being less dry here. It has bloomed a few times, and they didn't ball, but typical balling season here had already passed by the time it arrived in June. This came as a band from Angel Gardens.

'Rosette Delizy' is growing at a nice pace, as well as almost always having at least one flower -- even as a baby. It seems more pink when it's hot, but new buds on the left are showing more yellow as nights are getting cooler now. This came as a 1-gal from Rose Petals Nursery.

To be continued......

:-)

~Christopher

Comments (10)