SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
voxleo

"chemtrails" affecting So california garden?

voxleo
9 years ago

I am frustrated with the results in my yard this year, as absolutely everything has struggled to produce even minimal pathetic results when past years have not been nearly as problematic. The only thing that had much vigor was the 3 or 4 year old grapevine which ran into powdery mildew problems to spoil what would otherwise have been a lovely harvest.

But other plants failed miserably all across the board whether they were in containers or throughout the garden in front and back despite the amendments and composts and organic fertilizers. Some of it was grubs - I found hundreds in the persimmon tree when I placed it in a new pot when it wasn't doing well after a nice harvest last year. But there were none in the soil where my corn struggled miserably and it seemed like it had started off so well.

The corn stopped growing at half to two thirds of the height it would normally reach, and was terribly thin and streaked along the veins with dryness and brown although they did flower and set fruit they just seemed to be dying of thirst despite the soil appearing moist enough. Peas never grew past a foot high all fall, asparagus made an attempt until the dog dug it up, cucumbers and honeydew and cantalope all kaput, even the zuchinni was really feeble, though I managed two plants and a few fruits but nothing like previous overabundant to absurd proportions. Strawberries are at an impasse, not dying but not doing much else. Only two tomatoes did much of anything but even those seemed less stout than usual and the fruit much smaller. Peppers also in a holding pattern after seedlings were transplanted.

The thing that baffles me is that it is not only certain spots and even extends to new areas of the garden which have not been cultivated before but exhibit the same symptoms.

I was wondering if anyone else has this issue in socal this year because my boyfriend has it in his head that it is something to do with :chemtrails' and suffice it to say, I am skeptical of this theory but frustrated enough with the problems in my garden to consider it a possibility at this point.

I attacked the grub problem when I discovered around August, but it hasn't seemed to do much except prevent the pansies in the front from succumbing entirely for the third time (lost more than 40-60 of those since January, one from Home Depot stock and one from Armstrong nursery - two plantings total loss. Went back to Depot because at least they will replace the dead soldiers and the third seems to be holding on but not thriving. Even the sunflowers were sadly scrawny too.

It's been an expensive and unproductive year in my garden. Is it something I did differently? Am I the only one who feels like this year has been an unusual challenge?

Comments (24)