SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joaniepoanie

How does heat/humidity affect you?

joaniepoanie
6 years ago

Or does it?

Piggybacking on Deeinohio's thread about heatstroke, I've always had a tough time with humidity.

Case in point.....last week it was in the upper 80's and humid. I went shopping for about an hour and a half....in and out of three stores....regular parking lots in front. Two stores were next to each other. First two stores were short...around twenty minutes each. Last store I took my time. As I'm wandering around the last store I feel myself getting clammy....not sweat dripping....just enough to notice.

I get home, put stuff away and sit down to relax. I feel like a dish rag. All my energy is zapped. I feel wiped out and eventually doze off on the couch.

This is always the way it is with me when I run errands in the summer...it just does me in unless it's just a quick trip to one place. It does not affect DH at all and I marvel at people who love this weather and can be out in it all day with no side affects.

What is it that it totally zaps my energy after a short time and the next person is not affected at all?

Comments (58)

• deegw
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I lived on an island in South Georgia. Hordes of people would visit for vacation in the summer and I could never understand it. I don't mind the humidity but the combination of blazing sun, 70% humidity and 90 degree temperature is not my idea of fun. I considered our summers the equivalent to biting cold winters. I could live with it but didn't want to hang out in it.

• tinam61
    6 years ago

My hair "grows". LOL I love the warm weather. I'm not so fond of extreme humidity, but we've had a pretty good summer this year. I agree, it's not the heat as much as the humidity. We very much enjoy being outdoors and when it's at it's hottest, most humid, we spend time in the mornings and later in the evenings outside. I do not like cold/snow/ice, etc. and will gladly take the heat/humidity over that. We love water activities (boating particularly) and hot weather is perfect for that. I guess I am somewhat used to heat/humidity but that doesn't mean it doesn't affect me. I do think it drains you and you have to be sure to drink ALOT of water and pace yourself. Spring is my favorite season!!! Nice and warm here without the higher humidity.

• Related Discussions

How does heat affect raspberries?

Q

Comments (5)
    I live in zone 7b and grow raspberries. Heritage isn't the best for flavor and it does catch just about every disease there is but I get a reliable crop every year. They don't have the most pronounced flavor when fresh but cooked into a sauce to poor over ice cream or pancakes they taste pretty much just like the ones grown up north. When I get a good fall/winter crop they have more flavor. Mine are in the sun. When it gets really hot and humid I prune out some of the branches to increase air flow and cut down on mildew. I've been told to expect to dig them out and replant with some other version every 5 years or so.
    ...See More

Secret Garden Musk In The Heat and Humidity, How's Yours?

Q

Comments (11)
    Robert, I think that you and Olga have very similar black spot pressure to what we see here and that your climate is much like mine so I always appreciate hearing how a rose that we both grow fares in your garden. I think that mine will bloom more once this growth spurt is over. I couldn't believe how fast those new basals jumped up there. Mine had been spindly, as well, until these new basals appeared. Your arch sounds wonderful. I can't wait to see photo's. I didn't used to like single petaled roses at all and I find myself liking them more now. Funny how your taste in roses changes and evolves over time! Olga, we have had little rain this year and the dry conditions seem to have inhibited the BS somewhat. Still here but not as rampant. Have you had much rain in your area? I feared that the lack of significant BS I had seen on this rose was due to the dry conditions and that I wasn't getting a clear picture of the disease resistance. Thank you for the information. I will be interested to hear how yours does with a little maturity. I try to give my roses a fair chance and a bit of time before yanking them. She is a beauty and I love the fragrance. Hi Jenn, I can stand a little imperfection but I do like some leaves with my roses! I really like this rose and hope she is going to like it in my garden. Sounds promising that she is doing well in yours. How is she doing in that pot? Do you have her climbing on something? Carol
    ...See More

How will extreme heat and high humidity effect my peppers?

Q

Comments (21)
    I garden in Southwest Florida also, in planting beds and in seven-gallon nursery containers. I've been having trouble growing peppers in the heat in my climate. Part of the trouble is root knot nematodes, which thrive in our subtropical climate. They are especially bad in the summer months in the heat and frequent downpours. Currently I'm fallowing my soil in trash containers for months at a time to reduce their numbers, and rotating with resistant varieties like Wando pea and California Blackeyed Pea number 5. The only pepper I've grown that does well through the summer is Thai Hot. They slow down in the cooler weather and pick up in the heat. I'm testing Marconi this year in my containers, they are reported to be heat tolerant, but I've learned to be skeptical about claims made in seed catalogs. Chilly Chili Hybrid from Tomatogrowers.com is supposed to be "extremely heat tolerant", so they might work. That company is in Southwest Florida, so it might be good info. I tried Carolina Wonder peppers for their reported nematode resistance, and they got devastated by root knot nematodes in my containers. There were hardly any roots at all when I pulled them, just knobby galls. There is no substitute for trial and error under your specific growing conditions. What works in Iowa might not work in The South, as we have both found out. I tried Gypsy, another "heat resistant" pepper. They are all dying and it's only May.
    ...See More

How are all you "Heat affected" doing?????

Q

Comments (70)
    Colorado sounds great, OllieJane! Also supposed to be below 90 today and tomorrow. However, rain and thunderstorms predicted and we are supposed to see Halestorm and The Pretty Reckless tonight along with up and coming rockers The Warning (3 sisters from Mexico) and Lilith Czar, so all female lead bands. The Pretty Reckless is Taylor Momsen’s band. She was Cindy Lou Who in the Grinch movie and also on Gossip Girl, but she’s really quite talented musically, too. LOL, DH saw her yesterday outside the hotel since the hotel shares the parking lot/garage with his building. So how much of a concert we will get tonight will be interesting to see.
    ...See More
  • dedtired
    6 years ago

Humidity just sucks the life out of me and of course I live where every summer is stifling and humid. I truly hate it more than a blizzard. I can kind of enjoy hunkering down in snowy weather and even shoveling some snow, but humidity saps every bit of energy out of me.

this summer has been stinking hot, humid and rainy so far. If we happen to get a dry, decent day, I am like a madwoman out in the yard trying to catch up. I'm outside every minute that I can be.

the mosquitoes are driving me crazy this year, too. Those bites itch for days.

• deegw
    6 years ago

Tina, my hair "grows" too. I feel your pain :) We were in Key West this spring and sitting at an outdoor restaurant. I could actually feel my hair lifting off my scalp. By the time we left KW I looked like a crazy person. No amount of product or straightening would control my hair.

• User
    6 years ago

I've lived all over the country, and regardless of whether it's dry or humid heat, I've never enjoyed temps ranging from 80 and above. Even as a kid, the heat wiped me out and it wasn't until we moved to the north midwest that I discovered just how invigorating the cold can be and how much better I sleep in it.

• IdaClaire
    6 years ago

I hate it. It absolutely drains me, and if I overdo it even the least little bit outdoors, it can make me quite sick. This is a problem because DH and I love to go "suburban hiking" and do a few miles outdoors every day. I can't stand treadmill walking at the gym, and crave my outside time - but it comes at a high expense on some days. I tend to overheat pretty easily, it seems, and it doesn't take much to send me to bed with a nauseated headache that the heat brings on. Here in North Central Texas, the humidity is what really complicates the heat issue. So often when one goes from the air-conditioned comfort of indoors to outdoors, it's like instantly stepping into a very hot oven. Or, as we say at our house, it's like stepping into an enormous dog's mouth, panting its "hot breath" all over you.

• Bonnie
    6 years ago

We were in Europe last month for 11 days and walked 55 miles in the heat and humidity. Granted it was a particularly hot period when we were there. Some days we walked as much as 8.5 miles, while other days we did less or very little (flying, being driven around.) The "rest" days were my favorite! At 63 I do not tolerate the heat the way I used to and it was very draining. We usually vacation in either the fall or spring, which I much prefer.

One of the reasons I'll never leave New England is because I enjoy the seasons here.

• LynnNM
    6 years ago

Here in the mountains of New Mexico, our average humidity, they say, is 9%. That said, July and August is our monsoon season, when the temps are up and so is our rain and humidity. I was born and raised on the Great Lakes in Michigan (and Ontario) and later lived on the ocean in Florida. So, at one time I was more used to high humidity because of that, but these days it totally wears me out. Our son lives in Augusta, GA, and I always try to avoid visiting them in the late-Spring, Summer, and early-Fall because their humidity is so awful for me then!

• lazy_gardens
    6 years ago

What is it that it totally zaps my energy after a short time and the next person is not affected at all?

You are not getting enough heat transfer out of your body, perhaps might be dehydrated as well.

Wear looser, absorbent clothing, drink enough water that you are peeing pale-colored urine, and snack lightly.

• Oakley
    6 years ago

Joanie, I'm in a rush and haven't read the replies yet, but I think you're heat intolerant like I am. That's what my doctor told me. Mine hit around 50. One med I take causes sweating but I wasn't taking it back then.

As we age, some of us simply can't handle the heat anymore, especially with high humidity. And that's Oklahoma every day.

This is how bad it is for me, I keep a roll of paper towels in the bedroom because every morning when the sun comes up around 6am, I tend to my flowerbeds and that takes a good hour to an hour and a half. It's not even hot then, just humid. Hardly any wind this summer either.

I keep paper towels in my short's pocket to wipe my face with while I'm outside, and when I come in around 7, I am dripping all over. Disgustingly dripping. lol.

I turn the fan on high, which is next to the bed and facing me, I wet down tons of paper towels and wash from the bottom of my feet up, and sit there until cooled off. Sometimes nekkid. :)

No shower that early in the morning unless I'm going somewhere because if I go outside again, I'd have to take another shower, and another.

Ironically it was 61 at 9am this morning, with good north wind. Loved it!

• dedtired
    6 years ago

I was in Europe mid-summer last year and it was just miserable, although we soldiered on and saw some fabulous things. I am so grateful that I was there in June this year. It was plenty hot but not yet humid. Now they are having their Lucifer heat wave with heavy humidity. The worst! I feel bad for anyone who has shelled out a lot of money to go there this year. Some of the museums without AC are closing.

My hair is generally straight but sort of melts into odd waves in the humidity and gets a halo of frizz. It is cooler here now but lots of rain in the forecast. I swear I am growing mold!

• Yayagal
    6 years ago

I've been heat intolerant all my life as I have a life long kidney disease. I detest hot weather and avoid it most of the time. It makes me feels sick to my stomach and weak to the point of fainting. I'm more content to stay inside and look at the hot weather.

• aok27502
    6 years ago

My hair makes an audible sound when it frizzes. I swear I can hear it go "sproing." I wear a ball cap all summer.

• robo (z6a)
    6 years ago

Usually I need a day or two to adjust and am then fine and happy in the sun and "heat" (mid eighties is about as hot as it gets here, usually not much below 0 either so we are pretty wimpy in our temperature ranges).

Now pregnant...not so much. I feel much more bothered and drained by both heat and humidity. And heartburn gets in the way of guzzling a ton of water. My garden is turning into some kind of advanced weed life cycle exhibit and I'm ok with that.

I have visited Florida twice in July and been pretty happy both times! Of course there is air conditioning where I go...and a pool. I remember sitting in my car waiting for a friend in one of the afternoon thunderstorms. 97 degrees outside and air literally sheets of water.

• tinam61
    6 years ago

ded, that's another weird thing here, mosquitoes have not been that bad here this year. Earlier (when we were having more rain) we save those little ones, but it's calmed down a good bit - and that's a good thing!

• runninginplace
    6 years ago

Oh my. I live in Miami-'nuff said.

I also equate our most intense periods of heat/humidity to what folks who experience deep winter deal with. Down here in the summer you just avoid going outside in the most severe time of day. Although I admit when I've traveled, places in the South away from the coast are perhaps even more miserable--stepping out of an air conditioned car at a gas station in SC in August is literally like getting into an oven! However I do believe that it's not as bad simply because those periods just don't last as long as they do here in the subtropics.

My daughter just moved to DC and she's commented to me that aside from the occasional burst of Miami level weather in the summer, summer in the NE is mostly like being down here in the winter.

• andreap
    6 years ago

I too am intolerant. Walking my dog makes me queasy and faint. Then I see other people out there walking or even jogging. People a lot older than I don't mind it. If I didn't have a dog I would stay inside. This morning I drank some lemon water before I went out and it wasn't so bad, though it was cooler. Hydration is key, I guess.

• Bonnie
    6 years ago

dedtired, you are correct about museums closing down now. When we were there at the end of June, beginning of July it was hot but not as bad as it is now. At the Shonbrunn Palace in Vienna they had several fans going, but while it helped, it is certainly not the same as a/c. We stayed in 4 lovely airBnb's and none had a/c. That was not fun at all!

• robo (z6a)
    6 years ago

andreap that reminds me of an observation I made when visiting LA in March 2015. The heat that weekend was so bad they had to change the LA Marathon to start before 7am.

"A. It's 33 degrees (91f) in the shade.
    B. There is no shade.
    C. A guy just jogged past me in a full sweatsuit."

• texanjana
    6 years ago

The older I get, the more heat-intolerant I have become. I have lived my entire life in Texas and New Mexico. I avoid going outside during the hottest part of the day if I can, and I pretty much hibenate inside in August-September. Our goal when we retire is to spend the summers in a cooler climate.

• Rudebekia
    6 years ago

I'm in MN. We tend to get a couple weeks in summer with high heat and humidity. I hate it. I find it makes me lethargic, headachy, even depressed--just overall lousy. I'm a really energetic person and it saps me. I don't know how those who live in the south can stand it for as many months as you do! This is my first-ever house with central air conditioning and I don't know how I survived 60 years with out it.

On the other hand, cold weather energizes me and makes me optimistic and happy, and I'm sure some can't understand that.

• CindyMac
    6 years ago

Heat & humidity are 24/7 down here from May through September. The past few years that seems to be stretching into April through most of October. You wake to condensation on the windows and feel like you've stepped into a steam bath the minute you open the door.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

I have to admit that while I don't totally relish the humidity here in Aug/Sept, it's still my favorite time of year because all the northern tourists have gone home. I like a beach where there are no more than three other people visible from where I am, and if I'm really lucky I see the panther sometimes if I go out in the wee hours. (He never comes out here during the season.)

I guess it's what you're used to. I can't bear winter up north--I hate being cold more than anything, and that combined with day after day of gray skies, and the world smelling like wet wool…. Give me heat and humidity any day.

• Oakley
    6 years ago

Writersblock, panther? What panther? Spill!

I forgot about getting sick to my stomach after being in the heat.

The other day I made a big haul at the grocery store, the whole trip took almost two hours. Loading the gigantic bag/cases of dog food, 1,000 lb. kitty litter, and all the other heavy stuff by myself, then unloading when I got home, with DH helping, I was DONE for the day. I took to my bed and laid there for an hour.

If you think you're drinking enough water to hydrate, pay attention to any slight pain in your sides, or cloudy urine. That happened to me & I thought I was drinking plenty of water but a urine sample showed I was dehydrated.

Today's high was 83. Lovely, right? Well, the wind died down and the humidity set in. Awful.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

Writersblock, panther? What panther? Spill!

Although for a long time the powers that be said it was impossible, we've always known that there was at least one florida panther in our general area, probably living in the big state preserve across the river. It was kind of an open secret (nobody wanted to do an official report since it would have been captured and sent to the captive breeding program in OK, but everyone knew it was around) till someone caught it on video in an area several miles south of here on the mainland.

I live next to a preserve area and when I go out on the dark side of our complex looking for the #$%$ Perseid meteor shower (in which I no longer believe) very late at night, a couple of times we've encountered each other for a few moments before he slips away into the preserve foliage. i presume he comes over here when he wants to fish in the ocean for a change. There used to be about 1/4 mile wide belt of vegetation, only interrupted by the road, between the river and the beach there.

• nini804
    6 years ago

I am cold-intolerant...I suffer in the winter. Luckily I live in NC so it usually doesn't get horrifyingly cold regularly, but cold enough that I can be quite miserable Jan-Feb. The heat & humidity can be ridiculous here though, especially in the early morning.

I am a runner, and run 6+miles a day. If the dew point is over 70...I know it is going to be one of "those" runs...when my sweat doesn't evaporate & I just slog through the 6 miles. I come home dripping from head to toe....I leave my dripping wet SHOES in the garage & peel off all my clothes in the mudroom...everything is dripping like I fell in a pool. I should have put a shower in our mudroom, honestly! Then I drink a liter of Propel to feel 1/2 way normal. But that's really the only thing I don't like about hot humid weather.

• yeonassky
    6 years ago

Very interesting about the panther. We get the occasional deer, and often raccoons skunks and coyotes but nothing that exotic. :)

I'm sun, or is it dryness, intolerant in dry areas. I can't take the sun in the interior of BC for more than an hour. Everyone else can enjoy themselves on the lakeside beach etc but I have to hide indoors. Even the shade outdoors doesn't help. My skin around the mouth dries and cracks too. I walk dogs for hours rain or shine here in Vancouver BC so it's only the dryness that gets to me no matter how much I drink. I get parched quickly so drink a ton of water all summer naturally.

• Rudebekia
    6 years ago

In defense of MN's winters, I want to say that we definitely don't have dreary gray skies most of the winter. There are some, yes, but we have a whole lot of crisp, sunny, blue sky winter days that are really gorgeous. I have a south facing porch where I can sit on winter days and actually get a sun tan despite temps of below zero.

Here in the (relatively) dog days of August, I can't wait for sweater weather. To each her own, I guess--I suspect both our bodies and minds are acclimated to what we know best.

• Indigo Rose
    6 years ago

I'm surprised no one has mentioned high humidity and ankles swelling - must be just me? The times I've visited Florida I've had terrible problems, and now that I'm older I'm experiencing swollen ankles on runs of days of high humidity here in New England. The winters I tolerate better as I can always throw on more layers.

• Gooster
    6 years ago

Ugh, how much I hate humidity. It's a good reason why moving into the south is out of the question. It gets hot here in the interior areas as well, but at least the dry air allows the body's natural cooling process to work. I actually think it's worse in many areas of Asia, like Singapore especially. Parts of Europe do get hot and the humidity can get high, but not nearly as high as Asia. When renting apartments, I always advise summer visitors to check for air conditioning. It's not common.

• OllieJane
    6 years ago

Indigo, my ankles swell in humid heat too. I only have problems with humidity in Oklahoma in the summer, the rest of the year is great! I refuse to go to Mexico or Florida again in the summer-I was miserable. Great weather in Mexico in the spring though. We go to California coast most of the time.

If it's humid outside, my hair goes flat-hate that! Would much rather have frizzy hair than flat hair! I got so jealous when d_gw said she could feel her hair lifting on her head!

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wel, I'm glad I'm not the only one that's affected by humidity! My cousin is from Philly and moved to Vegas 20+'years ago. Whenever she comes back east in the summer her ankles swell. She'll never move back.

• jill302
    6 years ago

Live in So Cal, do not do well with the heat/humidity combination. Luckily I only usually run across that when traveling. If it is 90 or above here I tend to stay in the air conditioning most of the time but I can tolerate going on errands getting in and out of cars/stores and so on without it causing me any issues. Usually being outside is no problem either as long as I stay hydrated. Add higher humidity in to the mix and I am miserable and tire out much more quickly. Was so excited to visit Rome a couple of summers ago, then we ended up there during a record heat spell with high humidity. It was one of the more miserable traveling experiences that I have had. Will not return in the summer.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

badly. (which is unfortunate since I hate winters lol..summers were always better. but now summers give me troubles too)

i start having migraines. and whatever health related stuff i've got gets very visibly worse. and i think my termoregulation is a bit screwed up lately since it's been already third summer in a row that i get this low grade fever on hot days

high humidity is a really big bad cherry on top..and i was born in high humidity place, and lived in several high humidity places for many years, but that doesn't help, i still hate it lol

luckily we don't have it in CA where I currently live but last week was a sudden exception. goodness..

that all is kinda unfortunate because I plan to move back home at some point, or at least live there part of the time, and I can't choose many cities there that I love, or where my family is. for many reasons(walkability, amenities, etc), and the place that'd fit me most unfortunately has a very high humidity..

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

No tolerance for humidity. It started during perimenopause and now I guess it's here to stay. I sweat like a pig, and feel dehydrated and vaguely ill no matter how much water I drink. Blech.

• deegw
    6 years ago

olliesmom, please do not be jealous of my hair. This is not me but this is how I looked after my first day in Key West. And this was with hair filled with coconut oil and Moroccan oil and whatever else I could find to weigh it down.

Plus my hair was too short to put in a pony tail. It was not a good look.

• eld6161
    6 years ago

Haha. That could be me.......except I have brown hair.........(with some gray).......and I am a bit older:)

When traveling to the tropics I ponytail it.

D_gw, I guess you have the half pony option?

• deegw
    6 years ago

eld6161 The sides were too short to do anything. My choices were looking like I stuck my finger in light socket or Bozo fringe with a tiny pig tail in back. First world problems :)

Thankfully, I have enough hair now that I can do a small pony and tamp down the sides with some bobby pins.

• OllieJane
    6 years ago

d_gw, don't they call that the "beach hair" look? Still jealous! LOL

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Another southerner all my life, also a runner, and am old. Heat and humidity never really bothered me until I started getting older and trying to run in it. I started hating to run in heat about 10 or so years ago, when I started noticing the effect on my body more. I run early in the morning, I use cooling towels, I hydrate all year (no colas, limited caffeine, water all day), and carry water with me when I run or hike, always. I also work in the yard almost every day but I can't work in the heat like I could at one time. It does give me a headache sometimes, zaps my energy from July to August, and I have to tune in to my body to make sure I don't overdo.

I swear I start to have hot flashes, even when I'm not exerting in the high heat. It even happened in Portland recently when we were strolling through the Chinese gardens in late afternoon. And my hair! Mine is straight and it goes limp as a rag. I can feel my scalp start to sweat a little and it's doomed. But I still wouldn't live anywhere else.

• MagdalenaLee
    6 years ago

Central Texas humidity is bad. Although, right now, it's pretty nice: 95 degrees with 40% humidity.

Physically I can handle the humidity. I'm a fast sweater, so although I'm dripping wet in just a few minutes, I don't feel drained. Mentally, I hate it. I like to feel cool and smooth - any stickiness has me running for the shower. I've been known to take three a day during high humidity.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

I've spent the majority of my adult life living in places with high humidity/temp. I don't do at all well! As my pulmonary problems have progressed, I have to truly avoid being outside much at all - it's like trying to breath in molasses!

My very healthy, very active DGS who is 17 and a squash player, was supposed to run a great deal everyday for conditioning. He was running at home in the heat and humidity and he found it tough. Then we got to the Vineyard and he went for his run and came home astounded! He ran twice his normal distance and wasn't even tired! Yes, that IS what heat and humidity does to even healthy, young people!

• andreap
    6 years ago

Not to mention plants. Which is why Asian plants do well in southeastern US but we can't grow the beautiful flowers that grow in the western US. Plus here it doesn't cool down enough at night in the middle of summer. Today the humidity is down and I feel better and did more things better inside and outside than I have since the last low humidity levels.

• yeonassky
    6 years ago

I forgot about the hair... Oh the hair. I look like a half grown chia pet in humidity. :(

(I didn't bother to mention the migraines as I used to get a migraine from everything, even stubbing my toe. Now I get the ghost of migraines past and take a tiny bite of a Tylenol. I found my almost cure. So sorry anyone else gets these life stealers!)

• arcy_gw
    6 years ago

I have lived in most states in western USA. Can't say humidity was a THING I noticed until living in MN. I am going to chalk that up to being a child and children just manage? Even in New Mexico I don't remember the heat being a thing. We did the Disney thing in Florida a few years ago. It was October. We were there when the humidity broke for the season. Oppressive and restrictive is all I can say. Everyone crabs about northern winters but as we say you can always put on more clothes--you can only get sooo naked. I will second the bright sun of winter. Often it comes with very frigid days but it is winter, after all. We are having a rather glorious summer. Some humidity true but a week on, some relief then it returns allows for plenty of gardening and outdoor time. I think that is the key, change. Non stop heat/cold/humidity--what ever--is exhausting. I prefer the hit of extremes to the non stop torture of day after day after day--that's what gets me down. The idea of summer in the southern states holds nothing appealing. Maybe a new thread is needed. Where would be the perfect, climate wise,place to live? Four seasons, nothing EXTREME.....

• MtnRdRedux
    6 years ago

Arcy, So. calif. esp SanDiego.

We just got back from vacation ... part of the time in Morocco and Southern Spain.

And I can say definitively, it is NOT the heat, it IS the humidity.

it was 95-102.every day when we were in Spain and Morocco. Yes, we learned how to siesta but even in the hottest part of the day, shade quickly assuaged us. Not so when it is humid.

When we landed JFK, it was only 85, but sticky. It was shockingly unpleasant! Blech!.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

I have to agree with MtnRdRedux

I do feel seasons in Southern CA..very mildly pronounced of course yet I do feel them.

Hawaii should be fine too lol

I spent many years next to NYC..winters are even worse than summers due to humidity. they're sometimes cold but often it's not the temperature itself it's humidity that makes it feel like it's chillier. and they're not cold enough, often, so each day you have this ice, melting and freezing again.

I was born in Kiev-also high humidity because of the Dnieper river..our winters were not as cold as Moscow ones for example but felt colder and worse. At least we had more snow, less of that total icy mess, even though we got it too.

• seww1
    6 years ago

I LIVE for the heat and humidity! I am in my element! I LOVE to sweat!

Most people think I'm nuts.

• patty_cakes42
    6 years ago

I''be changed my shopping/errand running habits~I don't go out until early evening, sometimes not until 8. Since my grocery store is open all night and Target doesn't close until 11, it works great. I live alone, so no DH/SO to tell me it's dangerous, but so is going out in the heat. The parking lots are very well lit, and there are always people coming and going. I pull directly into my garage when I get home as well as close it immediately. My dog is always there to meet me. In the winter I do go out much more during the daytime hours. I just find this a good way to deal with the horrible daytime heat/ humidity here in Tx.

• kittymoonbeam
    6 years ago

The first time I traveled to the east coast I didn't know what was going on with my hair. I ended up braiding it every day. Humidity is great for your skin though.

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz