SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
invisigoth

Sunflowers Concerns: Current pot sizes and future home, the lawn

Naveed Iqbal
9 years ago

I started my first sunflower last August with seeds in a paper cup that thrived pretty well and I changed the pots 2 times (I have documented this in my plant journal). A couple of weeks ago I started new seeds in the paper towel method and moved them to paper cups. But after watching many Youtube videos I have a concern for their initial development as I not only used smaller paper cups compared to what I saw in the videos, but I also planted the seeds from the paper towel with not much soil as evident in my journals and the photo. My goal is to transfer all 14 of these to the lawn outside (photo attached) without any re-potting in between but directly from these paper cups after they grow a little more to be able to withstand the transplantation shock and pests.

I don't want to invest much into 14 of larger pots as currently my only options would be cutting plastic water bottles half way through and moving the seedlings from the paper cups to those OR, collecting more paper cups (perhaps a bit larger in size) and transplanting the seedlings with enough soil so the soil is just a little more than half an inch below and rim of the cup. Also, I have not created any drain holes as I did the first time I grew sunflowers, the reason being nutrients drainage and the reason that paper cups get soggy if the outer wax is cut and the drain holes end up closing anyways and the sogginess have attracted white paper bugs. Further more I am prone to use paper cups as it is easier to cut them on the side with scissors making removing the plant with soil easier. Any suggestions on re-potting would be great which Is my primary concern at the moment.

Moving on to the lawn, as I said my plan is to plant these sunflowers in the lawn but there seems to be grass outside which is not any special kind just weed. My plan is to divide the lawn into two lengthier halves and so there is walking space on the left side and sunflowers on the right in 7 rows, next to the boundary wall. I read that sunflowers plant when matured enough can out-compete the grass for nutrients however I have sprinkled some old sunflower seeds cut in half to prevent germination, but for the purpose that I read about online that sunflower seed shells are toxic to grass. Am I good to go ahead and replant in my lawn in the coming weeks?

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants Journals documenting previous sunflowers and current seedlings

Comments (4)