SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samanthagrayce

Concerns about root (plant) health after move/pot & soil transplant

samanthagrayce
8 years ago

Hi all,

Pretty new here; I've been lurking for a few weeks trying to find my answers and decided to go ahead and dive in. I've read a lot of posts on soil quality (and related water retention, aeration, etc.) and the like, and I'm hoping to find some help from this incredibly knowledgeable community! I'm a fairly novice houseplant keeper (mostly spiderplants and pothos--very hard to kill...) but with a great desire to learn!

I have a few very special-to-me houseplants that were doing well until a few weeks ago when I made a move from east coast to west coast. (Pilea Peperomioides--not incredibly rare but very difficult to acquire in the United States and therefore difficult if not impossible to replace.)

I hand carried them bare-root on the plane to avoid shipping them in dark boxes with a lot of agitation, so they have received entirely new (commercially bagged) soil in new pots. I understand that there will of course be an adjustment period in climate/light/air/water quality etc. I've already lost two out of four of my little friends and am terrified of losing another! Of the remaining two, one began to look a little squishy at the top and lost its leaves, so I pruned back the stem and it is much more rigid now and an attached off-shoot is looking pretty good, as well as maybe a few tiny back-budding possibilities along the now-naked but healthy-ish looking stem.

The other one I sadly cannot say is doing quite as well. While she still has about 5 leaves left, they are very droopy and browning. I can see a new leaf trying to decide if it should come out at the top where they grow, but the stem is leaning and I sadly admit that it is feeling slightly soft at the top.

I am concerned that the bagged soil I put them in is far too water-retentive for the little guys and drowning them from beneath. I am guessing I want to avoid totally replacing the soil at this time in order to hopefully reduce some shock and stress on them, but I'm concerned if I do nothing they will continue to "circle the drain." Maybe the problem is something else entirely?

I have also read on here a few things about avoiding changing the soil entirely when repotting as it can disrupt/cause difficulty with water flow and root growth if there are two entirely different soil types present-understandable. I also have read that I probably would not have success by just adding pumice/perilite to the very water retentive soil either. I kind of feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place.

My questions:

Is it better to leave the one who's not doing so well in it's current soil/pot and just be weary of my watering habits or is it better to try to change the soil? If it's better to change it, how should I go about doing so? would I clean a lot of the current soil off and totally change it or try making a mix including some of the current soil type? Are there any mild or food/nutrients that could help encourage healthy root growth at this point or is the commercial soil maybe already too fertilized and burning the roots? Should I try wicking? Pot in pot? Ritual root dances?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Best Regards,

Samantha

Comments (18)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH