SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
siobhan_1

Giving Thanks

J C
15 years ago

It's Thanksgiving Day in the U.S., a wonderful holiday. It's good to give thanks! At the risk of being shallow, I am especially thankful for books, which have helped me through thick and thin the last few years. And special thanks for the library, which has been particularly helpful in the thin bits!

What are you giving thanks for?

Comments (12)

• ccrdmrbks
    15 years ago

The fact that I had the chance to learn to read-as did our children, as will their children. The fact that we have health, safety, and each other. And a 20 lb. turkey in the oven. Food everyday, actually-without thinking much about it. That is a gift beyond measure.

• frances_md
    15 years ago

I've been thinking about this since yesterday. Leaving out the really big things and concentrating on the personal, I'm most thankful that my dog, who almost died from pancreatitis last month, is well and back to normal and that we can afford to pay the wonderful vet who saved his life. And I'm thankful that even though we live in suburbia, we are in a place with wide open spaces where we can walk and he can run. We have a warm, dry home with food, books, and music and a yard with plants (many of which are weeds but I'm even thankful for them today).

• Related Discussions

update: obf november: giving thanks

Q

Comments (52)
    A bit of updating to do here: Amy-Sent/Received Theresa-Sent/Received April-Sent/Received Jenell-Sent Shirley-Sent/Received Sue G.-Sent/Received Remy-Sent/Received Melissa-Sent/Received Maryanne-Sent/Received Jeanne-Sent/Received Carol-Sent/Received Margaret-Sent/Received Mary Ellen-Sent/Received We are having quite the snow event here today. Probably 3-4 incheson the ground. It is very pretty as long as we don't have to be out in it. I'm hoping that Jenell received her card from April as I know that April sent it. Have a super week! Mary Ellen
    ...See More

What will you give thanks for?

Q

Comments (6)
    Oh, polly! I was hospitalized twice with kidney and bladder infection when I was young. I was vomiting blood. They are no fun! Think lots of fluids like cranberry juice and water!! I wish her the best and am sympathetic, for sure. I'm very prone to kidney and bladder infections.
    ...See More

Happy Thanksgiving: giving thanks for my new kitchen!

Q

Comments (6)
    It's been 3 years since the renovation (thanks again GW members for all the great advice!). Last night was the second Thanksgiving dinner I've cooked in the kitchen. Everything from appliances to lighting to layout functioned exactly as I wanted (thanks to 2 years of planning before demo). And in the end, I didn't think about the kitchen, just enjoyed it...kind of like wearing a favorite pair of jeans. It's turned into a comfortable and warm space, one I can share with friends and family at each holiday.
    ...See More

clxii giving thanks for our rp community

Q

Comments (150)
    The Emperor's New Clothes - Hans Christian Andersen
    ...See More
  • lemonhead101
    15 years ago

I would like to give thanks to you all for being my long-distance reading friends - this site has become like a home to me in some ways so I appreciate all your comments and discussions.

I appreciate the fact that my very old dogs have made it another year without many health problems -- sorry to hear about your dog with pancreatitis, Frances. I had human pancreatitis in September and boy - it hurts. Hope your dog got good pain management and glad he is better.

I am grateful that I have a wonderful hubby who understands/tolerates my need for books (and I his need for video games!) and I am grateful that I got to spend some great time with my mum last week when she came out to visit.

Finally, I am thankful that I have friends who are willing to cook the turkey and all we have to contribute is a pie and some sweet potatoes.... Phew. Not much cooking!

Plus there is a House marathon all day today! Hoorah!

• carolyn_ky
    15 years ago

I am thankful for my dear family, with whom I have spent a lovely day--my husband, daughter, grandson, son-in-law, sister, two brothers, sister-in-law, brother-in-law, nieces, nephew, great-nieces and nephews, cousins, and my last remaining aunt by marriage.

And I'm thankful for the wonderful food, food, food we had to eat. My sister was the hostess and did the turkey and dressing and the hot vegetables. I took a Honey Baked Ham, cranberry salad, maple syrup pie, cream raisin pie, and chocolate-peanut butter mousse cake. Everyone brings something special, and everyone is a good cook. I just weighed and have acquired two pounds since last night. Hope it goes away as quickly! I left all the remains of my stuff down there where several people were spending the night so I'm not tempted tomorrow.

I'm thankful for my own good health and my husband's return to his full health and strength and for the peace and joy and blessing we walk in day by day.

I'm also thankful for this site. I love books, and I love people who love books. Bless you all!

• veer
    15 years ago

To me in England Thanksgiving sounds such a happy day, similar to Christmas (the only time we eat turkey) but without the bother of presents and all the added stress they can cause.
    I feel I should be thankful that November is almost over.
    For our family it was a month that started with the usual winter flu/nasty chest infections but for the DH turned into a sudden and totally unexpected 'heart condition'. A pulse rate that had gone down to 30, a hurried dash to the district hospital cardiac unit, a further fall in p/r to 20, a temporary pace-maker then a trip to another hosp. for a permanent one . . . and a punctured lung during the op.
    Thank God he is now back home and slowly on the mend with the only instruction to keep his arm below shoulder height!
    We are thankful for good friends/young neighbours who came to our aid and have learnt who the folks are who made loud promises of eternal devotion as long as it wasn't between Mon-Fri or the weekend, or sat at my kitchen table telling me what I had done wrong and how they would have dealt with the situation. :-)
    I think the medical moral for us is to beware of beta blockers, given for little apparent reason over more than 20 years with no proper 'follow-up'. But please don't quote me on this . . .

• annpan
    15 years ago

My thanks are for an anxiously awaited email that I received at 11pm last night. It was from a dear friend in Mumbai who was near the dreadful massacre, saying that he was safe and well, although he could see the hotel on fire and hear the gunshots...
    Only then could I get some sleep.

• frances_md
    15 years ago

lemonhead, I had never heard of pancreatitis until my dog was sick but I was told that it can be very serious for humans. I'm sorry you had it and am glad you are doing well.

• carolyn_ky
    15 years ago

Vee, what a scare! I'm thankful to hear that your husband is recovering well. You are right; crises show you who you can turn to and can trust.

• annpan
    15 years ago

Vee, I'll add my good wishes for your husband's recovery. I can understand your annoyance with the person or was it people who told you what they would have done in your place.
    I was amazed at some of the insensitive remarks made to me after my husband died. I think they were unwitting so I said nothing back. But there was so much kindness shown me by people I barely knew, email friends of my husband. One balances the other. And of course the RPers are such a lovely group, my friends in a box-or laptop to be more correct. Always on tap 24/7. Thank you all for the company.

• rosefolly
    15 years ago

Rouan and I lost our mother in early November. In the midst of our sorrow I am glad she is no longer suffering what she had dreaded most in life, the loss of her mind. And I am profoundly thankful for a small miracle. I am beginning to remember her as she once was, a remarkable woman full of curiosity, a streak of adventurousness, practical but with sense of wonder. I had lost track of that in the past few years and am delighted to get it back once again.

So many things to be thankful for -- books to read, roses in my garden, abundant food, glorious sunsets, kind friends, healthy family, hopeful prospects for my children despite some current difficulties, the beauty of driving up Highway 101 in northern California, the affection of my dog and her recovery from surgery.... Really, I could go on and on! (And perhaps indeed I did.)

I am sorry to hear of the troubles of forum friends, and hope that things are better for you now. May all of us and those dear to us continue in good health and safety for a long, long time.

Rosefolly

• rouan
    15 years ago

Rosefolly,

I am with you wholeheartedly about our mother. You described her to a T. I, too, am beginning to remember her as she was in the past, not as she was in the last few years.

I am thankful for more than can be listed here without boring everyone, but I do want to say that I am very thankful to my parents (both of them) for instilling in me a profound love of reading. They set us a fine example as we grew up, by reading to us, telling us stories and making books available to us whenever possible.

• thyrkas
    15 years ago

Dear RP friends - Thank you for sharing your recent challenges as well your times of joy and thanksgiving.

Sincerest condolences to you both, rouan and rosefolly - may the happy memories of your mother continue to comfort you in your loss.

And Vee - what an ordeal for your DH and you to undergo! Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

At our house we are giving thanks for continued employment, good health, great books, dear family members and marvelous friends.