SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toad_ca

Interview with Joan Didion about her new book

toad_ca
18 years ago

I just finished listening to an interview with Joan Didion about her new memoir The Year of Magical Thinking about the year following the death of her husband, writer, John Gregory Dunne. It was conducted by Terry Gross on her NPR program "Fresh Air." This has to be one of the most difficult interviews IÂve ever listened to, and I got the impression it was very difficult for Gross as well as for Didion who, understandably, lost composure a few times during the discussion. In fact, GrossÂ-who I think is one of the best interviewers around--seemed almost tongue-tied and reticent. Weirdly enough, during a pause to give Didion a few moments before continuing, GrossÂs producer passed her the news that Didion had just been nominated for the National Book Award and was the first to communicate this as well as congratulate her.

I want very much to read this book, yet I canÂt really bear the thought of it. ItÂs an odd mindset, since I usually want books to evoke strong feelings. But these are feelings I donÂt know that I want to confront until itÂs my time to confront them for real, if that makes any sense. And yet the excerpts and reviews IÂve read are so compelling, that IÂm finding it hard to resist.

Has anyone else had this dilemma?

If you'd like to listen to the interview, click on the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Didion interview

Comments (7)