SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
martin_z

OT - a touch of the old fogeys...

martin_z
11 years ago

At my office, there is a TV which shows the BBC 24hour news channel. There is no sound, so you tend to keep half an eye on the headlines going past.

As most of you in the UK are aware, there is a bit of a kerfuffle going on after Andrew Mitchell, the Government Chief Whip, was prevented from leaving Downing Street on his bicycle through the main gates by the police, and he (allegedly) swore at the police and called them "plebs" who ought to "learn their place".

He has apologized - but what's got my goat is the BBC "breaking news" ticker currently showing:-

The Conservative Chief Whip has reiterated his apology for disrespecting a police officer....

Disrespecting? On the BBC??

Last week, I also spotted a beauty - it referred to someone who had "seeked asylum". To be fair, that was rapidly corrected - the next time the ticker came round, it had "sought asylum". But it shocks me when mistakes like that happen at all.

But honestly. Disrespecting?

And it's still there. Grrr....

Comments (40)

• woodnymph2_gw
    11 years ago

Among the young of a certain generation and class in the US, "disrespected" is often used. Only, to be clear, the slang term is "diss", e.g. "the police officer dissed him."

• martin_z
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm well aware of that. It's used in the UK too. My daughter often takes the micky of other kids in her class - "Hey, you disrispectin' miii?" - normally said in an Essex accent, with overlays of faux Jamaica gangsta...

But it shouldn't be used on a BBC web site.

I've actually written to the Beeb about it, but I don't expect anything to change.

• Related Discussions

OT: Do you admire Gordon Setters like you admire Hippeastrum??

Q

Comments (6)
    Young GS disappear quickly, just like the best bulbs of the season!! Three of the four little darlings are slated for adoption to their new families!! Thank you Blueflax for passing this along...your friend's house won't be empty for long. Now little Kirby is the last of the bunch, but again...no rush. He was sprung from the pound and is recovering from kennel cough and being neutered. He'll land in the perfect home soon!!! :-) Kristi (Stormy and Laka too!)
    ...See More

OT: Cooking Sage ~ your experience please.

Q

Comments (14)
    Hi Karen, My plants are perennial here on Long Island, zone 7. Plants for a Future says it's hardy to zone five. They have a lot of info on their page, well worth reading. If it doesn't winter over for you then yes you should resow the plant if you want it in your garden, or buy a few plants in spring. It's a very common herb and most garden centers will carry them. T Here is a link that might be useful: PFAF.Org ~ Salvia officinalis
    ...See More

OT: some of my 8 month old Plumeria seedlings

Q

Comments (10)
    well you all might wanna get ready to wait a few years lol. But I always hope for miracles :-) Karyn yes, same batch and I really liked his germination rate from the seeds and now that I see how well they are doing...GREAT!! Scott every once in a while I have time to stray and look at other forums...but this one keeps me busy enough thanks so much lol Barbra I do nothing special. Some only have one single stem. No side branchings. Some still grow some new ones. But mainly I believe it is the extreme heat we have and the sun they are getting :-) Perfect Plant for me to grow during the summer. lol Daniella the plant stand I got from the guy who has a business down the road from me and he always has way to many things I like, but can't afford. But when I needed a little stand and we talked and he said that business is so slow and money tight to pay bills...well lets just say we both walked away happy :-))) Lucy
    ...See More

what can touch flex duct?

Q

Comments (5)
    I mean just regular fibreglass batt insulation. There may be something else, and my info is based on Canadian/BC building/electrical codes, so your local might be different. Continuous contact of plastic with a heat source, a duct or hw pipe, eventually makes plastic brittle which is why they have that rule (plus rubbing/friction from expansion/contraction/vibration) - the other advantage of fibreglass is, in normal circumstances is, it's not flammable.
    ...See More
  • veer
    11 years ago

My pet peeve at the moment is the incorrect use of sat/sitting, which I have even heard on the once-prestigious BBC TV programme Panorama. The reporter (once famous for interviewing the late Princess of Wales "There were three people in this marriage") said "I am sat among a group of school children . . ."
    I just came across a similar eg in the book Complete Surrender by David Sharp. He turns out to be the brother of novelist Ian McEwan, but was given away at birth. I realise that he didn't have his brother's chances in life but someone could have helped with the editing. One of the photos is captioned "I am sat with my mother." Can you hear my teeth grinding?

• annpan
    11 years ago

Martin, respect/disrespect? That sounds similar to a Wodehouse wordplay gruntled/disgruntled.
    The "Do you know who I am?" remark always reminds me of something else that makes me laugh.....wryly.
    A politician was visiting a senior's nursing home and asked this question of one of the residents. To which she replied "No, I don't but ask Matron and she will tell you!"
    I am a senior and I know who I am but sometimes have problems with which day of the week it is when I wake up!

• timallan
    11 years ago

Annpan, your anecdote reminds me of a funny story about Ernest Hemingway.

Hemingway, flush with recent literary fame, complained at one of Gertrude Stein's salons about having to wait behind the velvet rope at a chic Paris restaurant. Hemingway reportedly said "I finally had to tell them who I was." Not missing a beat, a very deadpan Alice B. Toklas asked "And who were you?".

I have no idea if the above story is true, but I still love it.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Great story, timallen.

Our online local news site just reported that a drunken college student was lying on the sidewalk, mumbling unintelligently. I wrote a comment to say, yes, he probably was unintelligent but also mumbling unintelligibly.

The reporter wrote back and said thanks for catching that. Nice.

I think news stations have cut back on their budgets for editors, judging by the number of typos and use of slang.

• yoyobon_gw
    11 years ago

My favorite was in a local news article on the front page where it was reported that " a deer crashed through the window of the restaurant and ransacked the place ".

Malice with forethought?

• mariannese
    11 years ago

I giggle at all this but it is too true. I've written to newspapers a few times to complain about outrageous spellings and mistakes but I've given up or I would do nothing else. I've noticed that the text may be correct but the captions and the introduction or preamble (I don't know the correct terms in English) is wrong as if the editor hadn't read the article.

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

I've sent in corrections once or twice myself, but I know full well all they do is roll their eyes and think I am some cranky fussbudget who thinks the world is going to he!! in a hand basket because we aren't all living exactly the way people did 100 years ago. Most of the print media no longer sees any part of its role as upholding standards of language. I suppose that in part it is economic, but I can't help thinking that it is also in part simple ignorance. Often they themselves don't know any better. >>SighMost of the time I manage to remind myself to save my ire for things that really deserve it: deceit, cruelty, betrayal, destructiveness. Set against such a standard, poor grammar or lack of editing seems to be pretty small potatoes.

Rosefolly

• veer
    11 years ago

Just read our local weekly 'rag' and found, within one article, a couple of howlers.

The headline "Double whammy for town's brass band" apparently referred to a recent contest in which the band won two prizes. If you are unfamiliar with the term double-whammy is means something that causes two problems/setbacks, so not an achievement to be celebrated.
    It went on "Rising star Matt Kibble won best soloist on the coronet" . . . such a difficult instrument to play as the silver decorations get stuck up your nose.

• woodnymph2_gw
    11 years ago

I've given up on the American chronic substitution off "lay" for "lie", etc. It's hopeless and one even sees it in books now, as well as newspapers, signs in shops, etc. Newspapers on the whole are declining in subscriptions, so long ago, proof-readers were let go.

• phoebecaulfield
    11 years ago

Is anyone familiar with this usage for "trespass"?

"John Doe has been trespassed from the building."

It appeared in a memo that came from the management of the apartment building I live in, and I've seen it mentioned since in other documents.

I had to ask what it meant. It means that John Doe can't appear on the premises, and if he does, law enforcement can be called to remove him.

It still looks wrong to me but apparently it's an accepted usage at least around here (western state in the US).

• veer
    11 years ago

jwttrans, I have never seen/heard of trepass being used like that. It must be grammatically incorrect.

• annpan
    11 years ago

jwttrans. Interesting. Could it be a very old use of the word?
    I have noticed that words from 17th and 18th Century English are still in use outside of the UK but are no longer common there.

• M.compton
    11 years ago

I shudder every time I hear, "like" as opposed to, "as did"

"She vacationed in England like me"...
    "She vacationed in England, as did I"

And, as Sheldon said, if one uses the word "one" in one's
    speech one is going to get beaten up.

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

Jwttrans, I have lived in one of the western states of the United States (Bay Area California) for well over twenty years, and I have never heard trespass used that way. It must be local to your immediate region.

Rosefolly

• phoebecaulfield
    11 years ago

I appreciate the input about "trespass."

It may be something dreamed up by this particular management company--or maybe by the law enforcement authorities in this city.

Here's the most recent instance, in a memo called "Tenant Selection Plan":

"Anyone who has been trespassed from any of our properties will be ineligible for housing at any community housing...."

• timallan
    11 years ago

Last night on my local television news, there was a piece about some incidences when the announcer clearly meant incidents.

The above incident illustrates what worries me most about how the American-English language is evolving. I am a big fan of the simple and the precise. I dislike the current trend of substituting longer, more obscure words for plain, clear ones. The current trend of adding superfluous verbal curlicues to speech, particularly in the media, only hinders communication. I wonder if these affectations are meant to make the speaker seem "smarter", or at least more educated, and therefore more authoritative.

So many of the examples in this thread originate in the "news", print and otherwise. Is this a coincidence?

• woodnymph2_gw
    11 years ago

Tim, I agree with your point of view with regard to the use of longer, more obscure words to our language, e.g. why create "orientate" as a verb, when the older "orient" was perfectly servicable?

Ann, I've noticed, as well, that some older 16th and 17th English words/phrases that fell out of use in the UK are still in use in the US. (In the south, we still say, "I'm going down yonder".)

• pam53
    11 years ago

Almost every time I pick up a book there are numerous spelling errors, grammar mistakes and misuse of words-it is a pet peeve of mine!

• frances_md
    11 years ago

I also have never seen trespass used in that way.

The one usage that bothers me more than any other is using the word "invite" in place of "invitation", as in, "I sent Joe an invite to my party."

• annpan
    11 years ago

Frances, I would hear that "invite." as a short form of the word. Joe will tell people (if he is an Australian) that he has sent a "Resveep" back!

• lydia_yost
    11 years ago

jwttrans, I have heard and seen "has been trespassed" in the same way you described. I also live in a western U.S. state. I asked my aunt who is a property manager about it, and she said that it is the common and accepted phrase in documents identifying persons who have had suits brought against them for the act of trespassing. It seems to be legalese that is not typically used by laypersons.

You can do an Internet search for "trespass" and read about the law and its history at several sites. I did not know before that "trespass" in Tort Law was both the act by the perpetrator (to trespass persons, to trespass property, to trespass chattels) and the charge or suit (of trespass) brought against the perpetrator. In the 20th century it became usual to add -ing to trespass to differentiate the form between verb and noun, which were originally the same. Also, the verb form "trespassed" was originally for both the perpetrator:
    He trespassed the building. and for the lawsuit against the perpetrator:He has been trespassed from the property. Essentially, he has been trespassed for trespassing! Confusing, isn't it?! No wonder it fell out of favor in ordinary use.

Thought you might find that interesting. I tried to post a link but I could not get it to work, so I will have to suggest that you Google it. Sorry! :(

• phoebecaulfield
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for the information. The first time I saw it was a couple of years ago, when a maintenance person for this building was fired ("terminated," as we're saying now, I guess), and a notice went around announcing that he'd "been trespassed from the building." We were told not to allow him back on the premises.

• J C
    11 years ago

In a weird twist, after having lived 53 years never hearing the word 'trespass' used this way, I just saw it in a work email in reference to someone who was fired.

• yoyobon_gw
    11 years ago

The word "shuttered" meaning closed is new to me...and I've never heard the word trespass used that way either .

As a point of reference, I've been using up oxygen for more than 53 years !

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

I have heard "shuttered" being used that way. I think it is rather new, but it doesn't feel as wrong to me as that use of "trespassed" to mean "banned".

I have been doing some internet browsing, and it looks as though this use has just started. All the examples I found on several searches are from 2012. One source suggested that it first showed up on a police blotter, not exactly a bastion of correct grammar or graceful use of language.

Irksome though it is, I suppose that constant changes like this are part of the reason English is such a rich language. We can comfort ourselves with this idea anyway.

Rosefolly

• carolyn_ky
    11 years ago

Yoyobon, I have heard shuttered used and would think it is an older usage from back when houses had shutters that actually worked as opposed to the small, plastic, supposedly decorative things that new houses have now. (Old fogey, old fogey, old fogey.)

• annpan
    11 years ago

Shuttered has been used for many years to indicate a closed house. "The Miner's Dream of Home' an old song, sprang into my mind as soon as I read the post.
    I just Googled and found that song dates from 1891. I have a head full of old Music Hall songs as we used to play our grandparents ancient records on wet days. They never had television!

• annpan
    11 years ago

Now this is strange, after I delved further and got the words for the song, there isn't a mention of a shuttered house in the lyrics I found, so either I am recalling another song or the version I remembered had more verses to it!

• J C
    11 years ago

I am familiar with that use of the word "shuttered," and as an old fogey I deplore those fake shutter-like things placed on houses these days. Harumph.

• yoyobon_gw
    11 years ago

I always thought that shuttered meant 'with shutters' at the windows, or when they covered the windows.

Now the use seems to be when a place is closed for business.
    This appears to be a new 'in' word.

• annpan
    11 years ago

Yoyo, Not a new use, I believe. I am still trying to find the "shuttered" song and have come up with "Scarlet Ribbons"
    "All the stores were locked and shuttered"
    I have too many songs in my head, I think!

• carolyn_ky
    11 years ago

Oh, Ann, now I'll have Scarlet Ribbons running through my head for days. It always makes me teary at the end.

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

Shuttered can also mean that the shutters are closed. In fact I suspect that is the primary meaning, or was before shutters became decorative rather than functional parts of a house.

• annpan
    11 years ago

Carolyn, sorry about that. I dread coming across the mention of a song in a book because I play it in my head and cannot concentrate on what I am trying to read!

• veer
    11 years ago

re shutters

We live in an old-ish house (pre 1840's) and have wooden shutters on all the ground floor windows. These are on the inside of the glass and when closed at night they are held together with a strong metal bar. They certainly help to keep out the cold and the noise of passing traffic.
    I think shop shutters would have been on the outside of the windows, there are still a few eg's of these in the UK in 'preserved' areas. Often smaller shops/stores wouldn't have had any glass in the window and customers would have been served through the 'hole in the wall' rather than coming in to the building/room.

OT but apparently we should be able to tell the 'age' of our house by looking at the counter-weights of the sash windows, or the number of panes and size of the glass which indicate when they were put in (but we don't know what to look for !). We do, however, have quite a few panes of old 'crown' glass, slightly wobbly in texture and very thin, rather like 'picture glass' and no-longer used in windows ('ealth and safety). When a pane has to be replaced the windows no longer open/close so smoothly; the weight is different.

• yoyobon_gw
    11 years ago

I guess that the visual of shuttered is that of shutters pulled closed over a window ( old style REAL shutters !)

Now when I read that the business was shuttered and it actually has no windows with shutters, then the meaning is that it is closed or out of business.

For me, that is a new meaning.
    Did I miss that use of the word all my life??
    Could I be wrong? ( horrors !!)

So much of the 'new' seems to be whizzing by me on the highway of life that sometimes I just think it's preferable to take the off ramp .
    (do you love all those metaphors ?...and by 'off ramp' I don't mean the BIG off ramp of life to the great "rest stop in the sky" !)

• annpan
    11 years ago

Actually I have shutters on my windows but they are the modern electrically operated type. Really necessary for keeping out the heat, wind and noise!

• vtchewbecca
    11 years ago

My boyfriend and I have constant conversations about language and word usage. He is more of the traditionalist (and also 9.7 years older than me - we are math people) and sees language as a "certain way." I see it more as a way to communicate, thus, if the meaning gets across it has been effective.

That being said, I will still correct my students' spellings and grammar when I catch mistakes, but more to help prevent them from looking foolish to others who have less tolerance for "creative" language.