SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

Narrative nonfiction, as good as a novel?

rosefolly
13 years ago

Having a curious mind, I do a lot of reading for information in addition to reading fiction, which is ultimately reading for stories. However, I rarely read the kind of nonfiction that tells a story, but a true one. I would say that Tracy Kidder's two books House and The Soul of a New Machine fit this description. I enjoyed them both, but not so much his later work. I've read others from time to time, but really not very often. Often I pick up such a book, skim the first chapter, but ultimately put it down. I'm bored.

A friend of my husband recommended that he read Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson. It is a story of two divers back in the early days of scuba who did some dangerous diving on an old wreck. It is the story of their adventurous investigations. Now this did not appeal to me at all but my husband loved it. He and the friend who recommended the book were scuba divers themselves back in the 1960's, though they never did anything so risky as the diving described in the book. My husband was eager that I read it, but I was reluctant. His friend's wife had liked it, he told me. Finally I said that I would read the first chapter. If it caught my interest, I would read the book. If not, I'd given it a fair try.

Well, I'm hooked. Totally hooked. It's not going back to the library until I'm done.

So, those of you who read this genre, what have you come across that was absolutely compelling? What nonfiction have you read that really could stand up to a good novel? Clearly I'm missing out on some good books, if I could only find them amidst the flood of accurate-but-dull and the exciting-but-sensationalized.

Rosefolly

Comments (9)