SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzanne_il

Non-fiction

suzanne_il
16 years ago

On another thread, ccrdmrbks mentioned that discussions on this forum mostly cover works of fiction. I guess I'm one of those rare people that prefer non-fiction.

I've always felt that one of the prerequisites for publishing a work of fiction should be the inclusion of the author's home phone number. I always want to speak with the author, and I have lots of questions.

It's not apparent what happened to me in the course of growing up. As a child I can remember loving some books of fiction, including Pearl S. Buck's "The Good Earth", works by Mark Twain and some science fiction. But as an adult there are these constant inner dialogues, dialogues I'd rather be having with the author.

"Wait a minute, earlier in the book you said this...now you're contradicting yourself."

"If you drag me down one more dead end without a satisfactory conclusion to this story I'm gonna find where you live and break your kneecaps. And if you set up one more preposterous coincidence in this story I'm going to let the air out of your tires!" - (This was my dialogue while reading The DaVinci Code.)

Perhaps I'm making bad choices in reading material. I did find "Rasputin's Daughter" to be an interesting read. And besides, I attended a "dinner with the author" night at a local bookstore which allowed me a chance to acutally ask questions of the man who wrote the book. And, how enjoyable is an evening where the author teaches you how to drink a shot of Vodka in a true Russian manner?

So....are you a reader of fiction or non-fiction? What do you think draws you to one or the other?

Currently I am re-reading "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn." My husband and I are going to be taking a weekend trip to Hannibal, Missouri next month and I'm dusting off the Mark Twain and looking forward to the cave tour by lantern.

Comments (25)