Houzz Logo Print
martin_z

What, in your opinion, is the WORST book? (non-fiction)

20 years ago

OK, we've had fun (and I don't think the discussion is completed yet!) discussing worst fiction books. I know that dynomutt specifically included off-the-wall "non-fiction" to be included. But I don't know - I feel that if someone has taken the trouble to come up with a really stupid theory, and then carefully picks and chooses his facts to fit his theory, and finally puts together a book which convinces sufficient gullible people to buy it - I think he (or she!) deserves to have a chance at an exclusive prize.

The field is huge! So what's your choice?

Comments (42)

  • 20 years ago

    How about "Chariots of the Gods" by Erich von Daniken?

  • 20 years ago

    I had to read it in a philosophy class in college many years ago and it was so bad that I still remember the title and author, tho probably most people are lucky enough never to have heard of either: "Individuals" by P.F. Strawson.

  • Related Discussions

    Non-fiction books to gift a botanist?

    Q

    Comments (13)
    @Karen That's an excellent idea, thank you. I found one called Australian Carnivorous Plants, one of her favourite kinds. @rhizo_1 Those authors all look rather fascinating. She actually has none of those, which to me sounds like a perfect excuse for making a bookshelf to store her new library on. Thank you. @meldy_nva Yet a third excellent idea. We've never been able to agree on decorations for our domicile, but x-ray prints are something I'll enjoy as much as her. Thank you, for ending years of tedious point and counterpoint. @daituom Because giving a gift voucher to a pretty important person is thoughtless and lazy, and the simplest way to say I didn't care enough to look into her interests. It's like the difference between getting an e-card for St. Valentine's Day, versus a long, handwritten love letter on thick hemp paper, opening the envelope and being assaulted by the scent of the rose petals tumbling out. Or something like that. It's a terrible, painful, hypothetical cliche, but I know which one she'd rather get. Not to mention remember two weeks down the track. Besides all that, she can buy books she already knows about on her own. Also, why did you capitalise HER and SHE? I can't tell whether you're trying to be snooty with me for presuming something, or trying to constructively point out that I'll fail at finding something she enjoys.
    ...See More

    Non-fiction

    Q

    Comments (25)
    I read both fiction and non-fiction. usually have one or two of ech type going at the same time. Often a fiction book will get me to go into more depth of a subject-- ie i read a bio of jos. banks while reading patrick o'brian's sea-adventures that master and commander movie was based on. just one to many references to banks, made me dig up a bio to fit him into the books i was reading-- that lead to reading the botany of desire. right now i'm working on wincheseter's book about the 1906 san fransisco earthquake that i came a cross while looking thru the 'new non-fiction' section at our library. I read the horatio hornblower novels to compary to obrian's and edded up reading a book about tamenny (sp)hall in new york which caused me to read a bio of john adams, and because we were going to washington a read a history of 'clover' adams too. strange on how books will lead you on a thread of reading. I'm finishing peter tremayne's mystery series of sister fidelma in 7th cent ireland, no idea where that will take me, but it prompted me to pick-up books on celtic knotwork. so i read and read and read, obscure references lead me from place to place. diggerb
    ...See More

    The Most overrated fiction book ever?

    Q

    Comments (35)
    I think there is a difference between writers we don't enjoy and a book being over-rated. I think some of Picoult's work is OK, really didn't like others, but I don't think her over-rated. She has a moderate audience but doesn't sell in the amounts that others do, particularly a lot of the sci-fi authors. There are many books I haven't liked that others have - The Secret History leaps to mind to mind. I thought it a load of codswallop, but I have yet to find anyone to agree with me *g* However, I wouldn't call it over-rated. JMHO of course.
    ...See More

    What laundry detergent smells the worst in your opinion?

    Q

    Comments (85)
    Yes, Cal Ben Seafoam, that's what she uses. I believe it contains some optical brighteners. Her littlest one is allergic to everything else. She can worry about the state of her monster front loader. I don't want my Miele gunked up so I am very careful. But mine also has a 2 hour maintenance cycle run on an empty washer with 165F water. The glass door is too hot to touch. Usually, the rinse water is completely clear at the end of the maintenance cycle. If not, I run it again. I haven't switched as I think my Persil perls does a better job than anything else I've tried. When I washed lingerie at her house some turned gray. I wasn't so impressed but she insists that the soap is best, with fewest "bad" ingredients. I have the German Persil because a box lasts more than a year for me given the soft water and small amounts. I know Germany is very strict about home products and Germans are most demanding of quality. The more of those I try, the more I like them. I also use their floor wax and I'm switching to Pril for my dishes as it works better than anything else I've tried. It's used all over the world except for the US. I know my laundry practices are OK because I saw the tech take the previous washer apart when the heater failed. I asked him specifically if there was any gunk after 2 years of use. He said no, it was pristine. I do use fabric softener for towel loads but I dilute it. Vernel does not get gunky but doesn't smell very good. Mrs. Meyers gets a bit gunky so I dilute by half and give it a vinegar chaser. They both seem to soften towels a bit -- one doesn't seem any better than the other. Towels seems to stay softer washed on warm vs the 140F hot I was using. Oh, I remember Ivory and Lux flakes. Didn't they call that Ivory Snow? They were so slippery and soapy. No idea why they are not still made.
    ...See More
  • 20 years ago

    Any book written by Susan Powter. Need I say more?

  • 20 years ago

    I don't read much non fiction-but a friend had me pick up a copy of Who Moved My Cheese for her-so I read it-what a load of...!

    Pat

  • 20 years ago

    Oh, Pat! I'm so sorry. My employer made us read that book, too, and I agree with you. I nearly gagged on it. What makes management think these books ever work ?????

    I also intensely disliked Charles Van Doren's History of Knowledge (yes... it's the same Van Doren of Quiz Show fame who wrote it). It's one of those books where the author inserts his biased views as facts rather than mere opinion. I got so disgusted after a few chapters, I actually threw the book away and I've never done that with a book before or since.

  • 20 years ago

    april, I don't think people in the UK are familiar with Susan Bloom so perhaps you could say a bit more!

    I'll have to give some thought to the worst non-fiction I have ever read.
    Probably a badly written 'travel' book when the author (usually a TV-type personality) had done a deal with a publisher to produce so many words on a journey with a twist. Something like Round Ireland With a 'Fridge by Tony Hawkes, or the endless books that are now on sale in the UK about families who up-sticks and move to France or Spain. I think that Peter Mayle started the trend (not that his books are so bad).
    Beware books that have a citrus fruit in the title.

  • 20 years ago

    The whole peyote-infused oeuvre of the late Carlos Castaneda, beginning with The Teachings of Don Juan and getting progressively worse for ten to fifteen (I don't know how many) more books. Don Juan, The Journey to Ixtlan and A Separate Reality were required in anthropology courses I took in the 1970s, but I think much of Castaneda's work was later discredited. However, I was surprised that his books still get glowing reviews (at Amazon, anyway). It seems that his line was swallowed by a lot of New Agers.

    Several people have insisted to me that The Celestine Prophecy and Mutant Message Down Under are nonfiction. Those two were going to be my first choices, but I looked them up and Amazon categorizes them as fiction. I'm relieved, because I thought both were too full of hooey to be real.

  • 20 years ago

    My own worst is probably Chariots of the Gods by Von Daniken. He's come up with a theory, and then carefully selected his facts to fit it. Sometimes, of course, the facts don't fit properly and he has to hammer it to make it fit, but what the heck?

    Worlds in Collision by Immanuel Velikovsky deserves an honourable mention here. I haven't actually read it, but it was published in about 1950, and deserves mention as the first real pseudo-scientific garbage best seller.

    There was a technical book I once read about how to use NT and UNIX together which was RIDDLED with technical errors - it was truly appalling. It was clear that the people who wrote it were experts on NT and knew nothing about UNIX.

  • 20 years ago

    >How about "Chariots of the Gods" by Erich von Daniken?

    Ha! Great minds think alike! Last night I was thinking that if we did a non-fiction thread, that book would top my list. Do you remember the show when Carl Sagan tore him to shreds? Oh my....

    Mutant Message Down Under because it was first marketed as non-fiction. Our reading group knew it was a piece of garbage, so were not surprised when she was 'found out' and now see the book on the fiction shelves.

  • 20 years ago

    (WHY DO I HAVE TO RE-LOG IN EVERY COUPLE OF DAYS?)

    Chariot of the Gods - Yes.

    Though, those so-called autobiographies, ghosted by nameless ones: Famous Footballers and Spice Girls and Pretty People generally, aged between 18 and 18+ who are still wet behind the ears and other places MUST qualify as the worst of the lot (someone came up to me in the pub and said, 'I'm 65 next week and the story of my life is amazing: would you like to write it for me?' As if she was doing me some kind of favour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and I don't usually use screamers!!!!!!) This is surely some kind of trend: where they think writers are there solely for them to use and not for any other purpose? All comments and thoughts on this matter gratefully welcomed)

    Dido

  • 20 years ago

    Not worst book ever, but certainly biggest disappointment of last year: Heavy Words Lightly Thrown. I was expecting lots of good things from it, but I found it boring and pointless, diggressive and full of the vague legends it purported to elucidate. Can't understand why it became a bestseller and critical favourite.

  • 20 years ago

    dido, I have to log in every time I return here now - could be several times a day - really annoying!!

    I agree with Chariots of the Gods but a close runner up would have to be The Confessions of an Heiress by - you guessed it- Paris Hilton. We have inexplicably sold boxes of this rubbish, complete as it is with a sickly pink cover and photos of Paris posing in various places. It is worth looking at the contents page below.

    As a side line, her best mate Nicole Ritchie recently had a book published too. It was called The Truth about Diamonds, and so as not to confuse the reader who might be attracted to said book, the cover had 'A Novel, A Novel, A Novel' written across the front *g*

    Here is a link that might be useful: Table of contents for Paris Hilton's book

  • 20 years ago

    Good grief, Kath. I seem to dimly recall hearing Ms Hilton's name, but as I am just emerging from my cave, this is the first time I've seen photos of her. Yeah, I know that I get a failing mark for current cultural knowledge, but I really don't care! You've sold boxes of this book? I'm stupefied.

    Chariots of the Gods, ha! I remember that as an absolute screaming hoot to read. Aliens built the pyramids, or something like that, didn't they? About the same time that book came out, Charles Berlitz's The Bermuda Triangle was also very popular. Both entertained me vastly, and I don't even like science fiction...er, nonfiction.

  • 20 years ago

    Worst biography was the one about Kate Hepburn, which came out soon after she died. The author apparently had a great deal of contact with her, and she agreed for him to write her bio. What she didn't realize was that half of the book was going to be about his contacts with her, not about her. Bleh. My fav actress too.

    venusia, you remind me that I have one or two 'biggest disappointment'. One was Simon Winchester's book on the SF Earthquake. I loved his Professor and the Madman, yet every other book I've read of his has fallen flat. This one tho was I was so looking forward to, coz I love SF. I couldn't finish the book. Its especially frustrating because I have heard him speak several times, once in person, and hes a dynamic and interesting speaker. But his books have been failing me.

  • 20 years ago

    Yes, I must agree that Chariots of the Gods? and the other books in the series (Gold of the Gods, Gods From Outer Space, Signs of the Gods and others) are quite, um, interesting. Yes, I must admit (I feel so dirty having to confess!) I have read most of these at one time or another. However, I must say that I read them before I was even sixteen so youthful enthusiasm and naivete may excuse my initial liking for these books.

    That being said, the passage of time has significantly dulled this enthusiasm and I now just look upon the matter as an isolated youthful indiscretion. I was young! I didn't know any better! I throw myself upon the mercy of the court! ;-)

    I do realize now that von Daniken's theories, while seemingly interesting (you have to admit, it was somewhat original at the time), borders on the ridiculous. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt when he was saying that the Nazca lines and the pyramids and Tiahuanaco were built by extraterrestrials. I was even willing to say "maybe" to the idea of little people building tunnels in South America and to Mayans worshipping astronauts. But I was quite taken aback when he said that a lot of the Christian miracles of modern times were, again, influenced by astronauts. It was just distasteful to read that the Fatima miracle was allegedly due to alien intervention. (For full disclosure, I should mention that I'm officially a Catholic but a bit of a relapsed one -- hey, I was even an altar boy when I was a kid!) It would seem that, to Herr von Daniken, everything we cannot explain and everything that is unusual is due to "aliens" and "astronauts".

    On the topic of weird and bad "non-fiction" books, how about Baigent and Leigh's Holy Blood, Holy Grail? When I first read it, the theory was very interesting. But, that being said, there are apparently glaring historical problems with not just the theory but with the evidence he uses. (Ok, I have to admit it -- it made for some interesting reading.)

    Wow. So that's two bad books from the same theory -- The Da Vinci Code and Holy Blood, Holy Grail. At least no major fiction bestseller came out of von Daniken's books. I know that at least one fiction work came out of it -- I remember reading it when I was much younger and, even then, I thought it was crap. Thank God I've forgotten the title!

  • 20 years ago

    Pat & Georgia,

    I haven't (luckily) read Who Moved My Cheese? but my employer showed us a film based on it (a cartoon no less). Sometimes I think our management are all descendants of the emperor (from The Emperor's New Clothes)- they so gullibly buy into all this cr*p!

  • 20 years ago

    There should be a special category for "professional inspirational" books. It is a classification that should be condemned to the outer circle.
    Who Moved My Cheese
    To Lead Is To Serve
    What Color Is Your Parachute?
    the one about the fish market in Seattle

    every single one of them has elicted one response..."well, duh." Major lightning bolt-You (or your employees) work better when you (they) feel valued and empowered and have fun. We're all in this together. Do what you love.
    But at least the book can be tossed...being stuck listening to one of these authors is even worse.

  • 20 years ago

    >april, I don't think people in the UK are familiar with Susan Bloom so perhaps you could say a bit more!

    Consider yourself lucky! Susan Powter is/was a woman who hopped on the "self-help" train. She admittedly shed several pounds and improved her life. Her wacky books like "Stop the Madness" (haven't figured out how to italics titles yet, bear with me) hit the best seller list and were screamingly ridiculous.

    I don't know where she aquired the expertise to write about weight loss, exercise, diet, drug dependence and recovery but she somehow thinks she's an expert. Stop the madness is right, I run like heck when I see her books on the shelves (at the bookstore).

  • 20 years ago

    Speaking of biographies, some about the late Princess Diana were pretty badly written. There were so many that seemed to come rolling off the presses all at once that I've forgotten the authors' names. I did read a bunch of these, but they seemed to have been written in haste. All, as I recall, featured full color photos of Lady Di and family.

    Dyno, you stole my thunder, :-). I was going to mention Leigh and Baignent's "Holy Blood, Holy Grail". But even worse have been the NF spin-offs from that one.

    FWIW, I have to log in anew each day, too. It's no big deal.

  • 20 years ago

    Frieda, I thought of Carlos Castaneda when I saw the title of the thread. I had to read The Teachings of Don Juan for an English prof who considered himself to be "one of the gang" and who didn't teach me (as an adult student) much of anything. It really was an awful book.

    Are those of you having to sign in repeatedly checking the little box at the bottom left that says it will keep this from happening? It still seems like I have to sign in about once a month but every time I open RP.

  • 20 years ago

    cc, I completely agree with those books. And while you are tossing those out, can we put a moritoruim on the 'inspirational speakers'? Their stupid games are juvenile and embarrassing, and when we are forced to attend yet another one at the beginning of the school year, instead of preparing our room and lessons, all you develop is resentment.

    >while seemingly interesting (you have to admit, it was somewhat original at the time),

    I agree - and when I read them as a kid, also thought they sounded reasonable. I think that was the first time I realized that just because someone gives you logical arguments, doesn't make the concept valid.

    I didn't read Holy Blood Holy Grail, but I have read much that presents similar theories and findings. I don't think you can throw it all out. Certainly they give food for thought and perhaps lead the way to a more historic look at early Christianity.

  • 20 years ago

    I had to read "Who Moved My Cheese" for work a couple years ago, and while it was 3 times longer than it needed to be, I found the deliberately silly Aesop's Fable approach far more palatable than the religious proselytizing masquerading as management theory in Covey's "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People." A book that should have never gone beyond 7 Powerpoint charts, if that many! Although the 'cheese' book was poorly written, at least I could laugh at it. :)

    cheryl

  • 20 years ago

    > Covey's "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People."

    I once spoofed that book in a speech. It was called The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Procrastinators (of which I am one). I had a lot of fun with that speech! I wish I had saved it. It's been years ago that I did that. Brings back some memories!

  • 20 years ago

    Actually, I thought of all the management books I've read, or been forced to read, Seven Habits... was one of the best - it's actually pretty sensible. It is over-preachy, yes, but it does point out the obvious mistakes that everyone makes. It's all very fine to say "yes, it's obvious..." - but still most people spend too much time fighting fire and not delegating properly...!

    I've never read the Cheese book...one day I guess I ought to, if only to see what all the fuss is about.

  • 20 years ago

    Oh, confession time. It's been years and years since I read it but I LOVED Chariots of the Gods? simply because it was different. I loved the way he took stuff from the Bible and twisted it to fit his ideas... after all, isn't that what many believers do at some point or another? I did not find proof positive in his books, no, my enjoyment was from discovering how any group of facts/statements/ideas can be mashed into a theory. It taught me to sit back and take a second glance at things, to see them in different ways, to take all of my thoughts, experiences and books I've read to come up with my own opinions.

    My own contribution to this thread is a whole genre. True crime books... Ann Rule and others who take a heinous crime and make money from it. I have to exclude Truman Capote's In Cold Blood because he seemed to have a certain respect for the victims throughout the book. Yes, it was a vicious book, but there was an underlying saddness to it.

    And I already added Queenan Country to the fiction thread but it belongs here on non-fiction. I won't bore all of you by repeating what I typed over there.

    PAM

  • 20 years ago

    I liked the 7 Habits, I still refer to the concept of the quadrants. Very useful for taking stock of your time and are you using it effectively.

  • 20 years ago

    I agree with you about True Crime books (and agree that In Cold Blood is an exception). I'd add several books which might be labeled 'Torn from the Headlines'. The worst case of this lately was the Schiavo book which came out one day before the autopsy report came out. Horrible exploitation of an issue and a family, written for no other reason but to make money off the suffering that everyone involved was going through.

  • 20 years ago

    and on a lighter note...back when the earth was cooling,anyone remember Marabel Morgan's The Total Woman? She's the woman who recommended that housewives get naked and wrap themselves in cellophane and greet their husbands at the door. Why did I read this?

  • 20 years ago

    mwoods, Was it to find out how much cellophane to buy? Teasing, of course.

  • 20 years ago

    While there are very few "classics" in the True Crime genre and there's a lot of ripped-from-the-headlines stuff that is not well thought out, I think many of the true-crime books are legitimate and educational -- the psychology, the cultural factors, the history, and the forensical aspects. Perhaps it's because I find human nature, even the most base and vile, fascinating, and the puzzle-solving findings of science also appeal to me -- but I have always liked mysteries, anyway.

    In Cold Blood is indeed exceptional, but there are others that I think also provide great insight into the things I listed above: Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi and Curt Gentry, And the Sea Will Tell by Bugliosi and Bruce Henderson, and Thomas Thompson's Serpentine. Luc Sante's collations of the historical crimes of New York City are also extremely worthwhile, in my opinion, and there are many others. I don't mind Ann Rule's books either. Although I don't think she's the best writer around, I do think she shows great sympathy for victims, and in none of her books that I've read does she seem to gratuitously dwell on the gore. There are some true-crime writers I've read that do; but unless I can perceive a good reason for their doing so, I usually toss their books, pronto.

    However, there was a time when I realized that I was reading too many true-crime books and they were depressing me and making me cynical, so I've since backed off. I've found that older, historical crime books -- while no less pitiful, of course -- don't affect me quite so badly, emotionally. I can certainly understand why many readers don't want to read true crime, but I also understand the many readers who do!

  • 20 years ago

    I haven't read a lot of Ann Rule, but I did like "The Stranger Beside Me." It's the psychological and "fate" (or chance) aspects that I find so fascinating. I also liked "In Cold Blood." I don't read much of this genre nowadays, as it only added to my depression....

  • 20 years ago

    > Horrible exploitation of an issue and a family, written for no other reason but to make money off the suffering that everyone involved was going through.

    I had a sleepless weekend. Read this as:

    >Horrible exploitation of the suffering this family has gone through, for no other reason but to profit by it. Oh and BTW - I am referring to that exploitation, not to the issue itself. Thats for a whole other forum...

    >The Total Woman

    I never read it, but remember my friends and I in HS teasing about it. We also wondered at the price of the cellophane....

  • 20 years ago

    Vee, I liked both "Driving Over Lemons" and "The Olive Farm", as a would-be expat! ;-) The mysterious divergence of taste....

  • 20 years ago

    I didn't post on this before as I usually put down non-fiction rather quickly when it's no good (usually before buying it). However, I have just remembered T.H.White's "Gos", a non-fiction account of his attempts to train himself as an austringer with the aid of a goshawk. About a third of the way in, 'Gos' escapes, never to return. That would have been a good time to give up on writing the book, but he didn't. While well-written, the story is curmudgeonly and ultimately totally pointless.

  • 20 years ago

    Please tell me I'm not crazy, but it appears that there are dozens of posts missing from this thread. Have I lost my mind?

  • 20 years ago

    ColorMe, the systems have been funky lately.

    Interestingly enough, the movement of tectonic plates was embraced earliest by some very strange people of the Von Daniken ilk (but a decade earlier.) I read all those books and enjoyed them mainly because they gave me permission to think about things in a new way. Most of what I read I didn't believe or agree with, but for some reason the plate tectonics stuff held. So, by reading some incredibly stupid book probably about the hollow earth, I learned enough about plate tectonics to dazzle a geologist with my learning a decade or so later. Go figure. Of course I've also learned enough stuff that is dead wrong to cure anyone's bedazzlement.

    My vote for the worst non-ficion would be the biography Sara & Gerald, of her parents Sara and Gerald Murphy by daughter Honoria Donnelly. These two incredibly interesting and exciting characters (according to two biographies Living Well is the Best Revenge by Calvin Tomkins and Everyone Was So Young by Amanda Vail) gave birth to a daughter who made them sound dull as ditch water.

  • 20 years ago

    Maybe I was just having one of those senior moments, because now I see all the posts. Thanks for making me feel better, though, Chris.

  • 20 years ago

    OT - but when did funky become synonymous with "bad", "flawed", "broken", "naff"? When I were a little lad, something that was funky was cool, neat. Do the Funky Chicken by Rufus Thomas being an example.

  • 20 years ago

    according to the resident "trendy lingusitics expert":

    funky means strange, odd, offbeat, out of the ordinary in a "so not cool" way-acting that way is "being funky" but
    it is also used to describe the unpleasant result of a night of too much drinking or food poisoning, as in "He's leaning over the loo being funky."
    the result of being funky in that way is known as "the funk."

    oddly, being "in a funk" is still feeling melancoly, blue-maybe because it is a prelude to "being funky" and producing funk?

  • 20 years ago

    True - I'd forgotten being "in a funk". Guess it's just one of those words which just means what you want it to mean, neither more or less. Humpty Dumpty would be proud.

  • 20 years ago

    Any book written by Peter Kolosimo. He had is heyday in the senventies, and used to write the same
    garbage as Danken did. I read only a book of his , where he states that Stonehedge is an ancient...kind
    of airport or something else for outer space saucers flying , and in his opinion graffitos are , without
    any doubt, a clear proof that aliens once has been here, and therefore they are our ancestor

    grelobe

  • 20 years ago

    Blimey. An airport for flying saucers, eh? Well, I'm totally convinced.