SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
friedag

Grammar Minefields

14 years ago

My Argentinian friend and I were recently discussing how confusing English grammar can be for those learning to speak and write English as a second language. I laughed with her and said that a lot of English grammar confuses native speakers/writers just as much! She shook her head in bewilderment and pleaded with me to make a list of the worst-offending words and phrases.

Now, grammar has never been a strong suit of mine, but I thought of several such combinations that have either given me fits or are famous bugaboos.
may/might -- Apparently a lot of people (Americans particularly) have given up using the auxiliary verb 'might' as the past tense of 'may' and will use 'may' for all tenses. This was probably a hypercorrection originally. However, to doubly confuse matters, 'might' is used as a polite replacement of 'may'.
can/may
shall/will
lie/lay -- Bob Dylan messed me up forever. :-)
use/usage

If you were taught tricks how not to commit grammar faux pas, please share them. One I recall: Where are you at? or Where did you park the car at? When someone used the 'at' atrocity, my fourth-grade teacher, Mrs Howard, retorted, "Between the 'a' and the 't'." It stuck with me and sometimes when I hear this construction, I have to resist the impulse to repeat Mrs H.

What are some of your 'favorite' grammar gotchas and the ways to avoid them?

Comments (33)