SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angelaid

Little things that bug you, that really shouldn't?

angelaid
9 years ago

Our office is in an older residential neighborhood. A beautiful old brick home that we've renovated into office space. Parallel parking on the street right in front of the office. I sit in front of a huge picture window facing the street.
Every single morning, the girl from the office next door pulls up in front of their office. She pulls forward, then backs up, pulls forward, backs up, over and over again, like she's trying to squeeze between two cars. THERE IS NO ONE ON THE WHOLE BLOCK IN FRONT OF HER! Pull up, put 'er in park and get out!
I don't know why it drives me nuts (aside from the fact that she backs so far up to my vehicle that I would be unable to get out if someone were to park that close to the back of my vehicle - another peeve, altogether, but a legitimate one), but it does.
Anything that bothers you, that you really don't know why?

Comments (125)

• Deeby
    9 years ago

Remember the gorilla that rescued the little boy who fell into the enclosure and held him until the keeper came? I was offended for her sake that what she did was called "humane".

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

What got under my skin with Revenge was the fact that Emily whispers all the time. Possible for drama, but that really bugged me. That, and the fact that the storyline was getting stupid turned us off from watching it last year.

Then last nite we were watching Person of Interest and the cop character does the same thing. It got to the point where I couldn't stand to listen to him and went to bed. LOL Hubby thought that was a little dumb, where I couldn't stand to listen to him that much.

• Related Discussions

What roses do you grow that you "shouldn't" be able to?

Q

Comments (31)
    Virginia - in answer to your questions, I've enabled all my neighbors on each side of me and behind to try roses, and convinced them that roses aren't that hard to grow. For the most part, I did this with the more reliable shrub roses, since one neighbor in particular had been convinced that roses had to be obsessively sprayed and fussed over all summer. The ease of shrub roses have convinced them that roses can be easy care plants. For Francis Dubreuil, most folks recommend this one for part shade locations regardless of zone to maintain the deep colors and the purple tones. Mine is in part shade and it doesn't seem to affect the winter hardiness. As for Ingrid Bergman, I love the dark red of this one but I'm on 2 or 3 tries to overwinter this one, and I think it's going to be one of those "cold wimps" that are truly zone 7 rather than only reported as such. Cynthia
    ...See More

I really shouldn't be allowed to post here!!

Q

Comments (7)
    I would be glad to help you with ideas. Send me an email and we can talk . ( gardnwatch@aol.com) Things are probably not near as bad as you think they are. I might even have some plants I can give to you for that cottage look you want. I'm in the Baltimore County area Also, a bunch of us Mid-Atlantic gardeners hold a plant swap twice a year, and there is one coming up in a few months that you might like to come to for ideas and advice from alot of knowledgable gardeners in this general area. Look in the Mid Adlantic gardening forum and read about the swaps we have. You don't even have to swap.. we give them away. Bonnie
    ...See More

Teeny tiny white little bug things???

Q

Comments (3)
    thanks. rhizo_1 i think thats it. springtails! they are on the soil... on the edge of the mulch/lawn. i looked them up online and they sound just like what i saw. i think i have the globular kind... they hop like tiny fleas. apparently they are harmless. thanks very much! julie
    ...See More

Hanging things that shouldn't be (?)

Q

Comments (33)
    At my house, where cleaning is, let us say, never utmost on our minds, the hanging range would be a good idea, cuz if the onion skins, ends of various veggies and other detritus of real cooking (we do actually cook) was so blatant, perhaps then we would clean more often. Perhaps. Love the pics of the vintage macrame, I have a great, vintage macrame plant hanger in my LR and it is really beautiful, but I grew up in NNE near ski areas, and groovy ski chalets, complete with spaceship-like woodstoves and lots of macrame hangers for the spider plants abounded, so I have good memories of that particular art form. And I am biased, but I think my plant hanger is less 1970's awkward than the ones posted, at least it is made of natural fibers, and I am positive it's less awkward than that macrame vest. yikes. Also love hanging beds and swings, we have one on our porch down front, it doesn't swing freely, too windy here, but it is a great place to watch the sunset. sandyponder
    ...See More
  • sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

"We're pregnant" doesn't exactly *bug* me, but I really like accuracy, & pregnancy, last I heard, is not a tandem task!

"We're trying to get pregnant" sounds odd, too.

Again, maybe it's the age difference between me & the people who are actually having babies, but I'd understand what they were talking about, & it would be more accurate, to say that they're expecting a baby or trying to conceive.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

I used to love a show called "The Middle", but the girl's character totally ruined it for me. All I could think is please somebody either smack her one or even better slip her a Valium. And the teenage boy needs to be knocked through a wall. I know they're just acting but it got irritating. I stopped buying the DVD's.

• User
    9 years ago

"We're pregnant" yeah, that kind of bugs me.
    I wonder if she'll still feel that way when she's in labor?
    She is pregnant-he is not. "Baby bump" also bugs me a little.
    It's going to be larger than a bump soon.

My apologies to the younger girls here.

• FlamingO in AR
    9 years ago

I don't mind "we're pregnant" at all. I like to see men be enthusiastic about the pregnancy, the closer they are, the more likely they'll stay a two parent family.

HATE "baby mama or baby daddy"!!!!!

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I just returned from the grocery....here's another one. Why oh why do people wait until the checker has finished to take out their wallet...find the store discount card'and swipe it, then leaf through to find the correct bills and change or their debit card and swipe it, etc. you know you have to swipe your discount card and you know you have to pay...can't you do that while the checker is scanning your stuff so at the end you are ready to pay and are not holding up the line?!!

Also, people who don't use turn signals.....was that optional equipment when they bought the car?!

This thread is quite cathartic!

• nicole__
    9 years ago

People that Google information, don't understand what they just read, then post it on a public forum.....

• des_arc_ya_ya
    9 years ago

People who post and mean to say "definitely", only they spell it "defiantly" Sounds like EVERYBODY is coping an attitude! LOL

I also hate the fact that the music on most tv shows is so loud compared to the dialogue.

I hate the fact that you can speak to a person walking across a parking lot and they look right through you and don't even acknowledge that you spoke. How about just a simple, "Hi", back??

I'm through now! LOL

• samkaren
    9 years ago

when the sound track on a tv show is faster then the person talking (the 6 second delay thing).

my neighbor below me plays his music just loud enough that I can hear it...but its the same song over and over and over.

a certain person I know who says "OMG" and "OH NO" all day long in a high pitched voice

• Kathsgrdn
    9 years ago

People who borrow library books and turn the corners down. Why would you do this? It's not your book. It's rude and it ruins the pages. Reading a pretty new book borrowed from the library tonight...someone who had it before me did this.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

I can't stand OMG. And worse, JC and GD make me jump with shock and offense. When an unbeliever has the GALL to take my Father's Name in vain, I get upset. He's not a cuss word.

• angelaid
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don't read my response on the vacation post then. lol

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

When you hold the door for someone and they breeze on through like you're the doorman and not even a "thank you."

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

I pick up a friend's daughter from school, and it bugs the heck out of me when parking is at such a premium and cars will pull up and park, leaving a large space in front of them; but not large enough to park in. Just parking hogs. Grrrrrr

• blfenton
    9 years ago

OMG means Oh my goodness. It's unfortunate that others read more into than that when I use it.

• donna_loomis
    9 years ago

I love this thread! And I have read every post. I sincerely try to follow the advice, "Don't sweat the small stuff", but I'm not always successful. I try to remember that I am not perfect either. However, some small things do irritate me.

Charlee said it bugged her (or him - sorry Charlee) when hearing a message to "Call me". I, on the other hand, am bugged when I am forced to listen to a very lengthy message before finally getting the chance to leave my own message.

"We're pregnant" is also a pet peeve of mine. And I don't think that it means that the father-to-be is over the top about the future arrival (though he might be). I think he just knows that the female expects this.

While I'm on the topic of pregnancy, the words "baby bump" don't bother me nearly as much as having to look at one. Yes, it's the human body and it's beautiful, but some parts really should be covered while in public places. Bare "baby bumps" just make it look like your clothing shrunk in the wash.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

OMG means "Oh my God". There's even a TV show named OMG. And people say"Oh my God". I'll bet when He gets back that'll come to a screeching halt.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

OK, here's my first (of many). I hate shaking hands. Or hugging people you barely know. I don't see why I have to shake hands when I did not offer my hand first, which I never would. I have noticed that few people if any realize that it's considered poor manners for a man to offer his hand to a woman.

• workoutlady
    9 years ago

My pet peeve is my co-workers not doing their dishes. It can stack up for a couple of weeks before someone (usually me or one other worker) does the dishes. It stinks and it's gross.

• joyfulguy
    9 years ago

So ... much to do ...

so ... little time!

"Absolutely" and "incredibly" ... sometimes several times in one interview.

"Myself" used instead of "me" ... or as the subject in the sentence.

The variation of "definitely" that bugs me is the "definately" one ... that sometimes appears on these august pages.

Actually ... I'm not greatly inclined to get bent out of shape over minor stuff ... but I find that a number of the issues here resonate with me, as well.

o j

• lisa_fla
    9 years ago

Ax instead of ask

shopping carts blocking the aisle-MOVE!!!!

kids asking for water cups at McD and then filling them with soda

• Alice_sj
    9 years ago

That Snidely came in and took over my vacation thread. Okay, not really since I know how forums work, but on the other hand.... :)

• Tally
    9 years ago

"few people if any realize that it's considered poor manners for a man to offer his hand to a woman"

Good grief, it happens all the time in business. In fact, it's considered rude if a man offers me a handshake and I refuse it. I offer a handshake with every new business person I'm introduced to. It's considered good business etiquette, and if women want to be treated as equals they need to behave as equals.

What bugs me....

"I seen" instead of "I saw"
    "Loose" instead of "lose" as in I need to loose weight, instead of I need to lose weight (which I do!).

This post was edited by tally on Fri, Oct 3, 14 at 9:59

• maxmom96
    9 years ago

Why is it that all the other channels I watch on TV, using the Closed Caption feature, can coordinate the captions with the dialogue on the program and CBS cannot. I'm not totally deaf and will use the CC to read what I'm missing, but all the CC on CBS is out of sync.

• kitz_2007
    9 years ago

Shaking hands might be good etiquette, but do you ever wonder where their hands were last. Many times in a public restroom I have watched people just leave without washing their hands. There are so many germs passed by the human hand and that is why we are told to wash wash wash. Just watch people and see what they do with their hands, then ask yourself if you would want to shake hands with them.
    Probably not.

• Tally
    9 years ago

Kitz, I wash my hands several times a day and that takes care of handshakes, doorknobs, shopping carts, dollar bills & coins, restroom handles, and every other thing human hands touch which I'm not able, or willing, to avoid.

• amicus
    9 years ago

I do shake someone's hand if they offer it, but I can't always run to a washroom or pull out my hand sanitizer right afterward. I may have to sit down for a meeting with them, and am trying to remember not to touch my face until I'm able to clean my hands. I do wish North Americans would adopt the Japanese custom of a polite half bow or nod, rather than shaking hands, especially in this antibiotic germ resistant age.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

I have to fight the urge to rub my hands on a wall or on the back of my pants or skirt, it bugs me that much. I can't stand cheek/air kisses between women. Yuck. The other day someone hugged me and my ear got squashed into her greasy cheek. Hard not to gag.

• samkaren
    9 years ago

I hate the terms "man cave"; sup; and cuz. No offense to anyone here but I also hate the term "single parent".

• bengardening
    9 years ago

I think the ones that bother me the most are batroom for bathroom and acksed for asked and when they say my baby daddy or my baby momma

• Shelgal
    9 years ago

I can't stand to hear the word "amoun" which is a bulk measurement, used instead of the word "number" as in the following sentence: There was a large amount of people in the crowd, instead of: There was a large number of people in the crowd. I've often heard this mistake on television news (CNN in the morning).

• User
    9 years ago

I wish I could "like" these answers.

I have two. When someone uses their remote to lock their car they CAN look to see if the brake lights go on and listen for the first beep. That would be enough but they beep twice without looking back. It's annoying. I wish they would take the noise out of the beeper. I live in a park area and it disturbs everyone including animals.

Others have eluded to this: too much applause on a talk show. The audience is prompted to do this and I believe it is overdone as is the music.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

Ellen, I too agree about the using the horn when they lock their cars.
    Neighbours come in and out, late at nite, etc, and they always use their horn. Frustrating as heck

A lot of home-owners were complaining about the noise of the local airport. A supply plane would fly over their homes 3 mornings/week at 6 am for the flight in the northern region. Homeowners would complain at the noise. Many letters to the editors were written. It wouldn't have surprised me if the company decided to pull out of the airport and fly from another airport, but they changed it to 7 am, which means that the supplies would get there later.

I wrote a letter to the editor as well, saying that I hear the plane too, as well as the train crossing that blows his whistle. These don't bother me in the least, BUT the neighbour who fires up his loud, mis-firing Harley does. He jolts me awake. Grrrrr

• liz
    9 years ago

after 37 years in the customer service industry...nothing bugs me anymore...

• Deeby
    9 years ago

Notice how long this list is and how much shorter the things that make us happy list is? What a bunch of crabs we are ! And if you add the quirks list, what a bunch of crazy crabs we are ! LOL !

• FlamingO in AR
    9 years ago

I think that most people don't realize that their vehicle alarm system can be tailored to be quiet or at least, quietER. The horn can be disabled, as can the chirp and the volume can be adjusted. If an interested person wants to, they can google for the instructions to do it themselves, or the dealer can do it for them.

My car chirps and I like that, it's not too loud but it's enough for me to know that it's secured. I'm not chirping in anyone's yard, though, just at a shopping center parking lot.

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

OH yeah, I forgot about my neighbor and his chirping truck. Sometimes he chirps that thing a half dozen times. THAT does annoy me! My husband and I both look at each other and one of us will say "what the h*!! is he doing?"

Litter, that bugs me a lot. When I walk around our neighborhood, I see cups and fast food bag and cigarette packs etc all over the place. Stuff people just tossed out the window driving down the road, what kind of a moron litters? Oh yeah, the moronic kind!

• mary_c_gw
    9 years ago

I don't think we're necessarily a bunch of old crabs.

But honestly, reading what makes everyone happy is some pretty dull reading, LOL. Of course, the grandchildren laughing, birds chirping, the cat purring on my lap - all of those make me happy. They make most people happy. It still doesn't make for riveting reading.

The reason the gripe threads get so much action is because we can vent little irritations, and those are more interesting than rainbows and glitter and unicorns all the time.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

I want a mool. I WANT A MOOL !

• Deeby
    9 years ago

Oops. Maybe it's Marilyn C. who has mools?

• petra_gw
    9 years ago

People who ask a question on a forum and never come back to thank those who were kind enough to reply.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

And the ones who take the easy (lazy) way out and put "TIA" at the end of their question.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

Here's another one that just drives me up the wall. The new way of saying thank you. It's a nasal "think kwo". Ugh.

• FlamingO in AR
    9 years ago

I agree with Petra's comment. I actually go find things for people, as I'm a pretty good "searcher" and I enjoy the chase, and I'll feel so successful when I locate a wanted object or link or recipe and then I'll post it for the person and it's a little deflating when they either never see it or don't bother to say thank you. And after a few times, I make a mental note of who it is and then I don't bother trying to help when they have a request again. Are they rude or just too busy to come back for it, or is it not the exact item? I guess I'll never know!

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

Here's a little thing that bugs me. I see the same posters on the Freecycle groups, only asking for things, never offering any items to give away. The only posts they make, are for wanting items. I hate the greed of it all.

Oh, and the amount of cats and kittens being given away on Kijiji. The "Free" section is filled with that. Between those posts and people advertising that they'll pick up your scrap metal immediately, there's very little else there.

The excuses are pathetic for giving away the cats.....new baby, and no time for the cat. Bought a house, no room. Huh??? A cat doesn't need babysitting or taken for walks, or played with in the back yard. What do you mean you have no time for it? This just burns me. Pets are not disposable items that you throw away when bored.

This post was edited by jasdip on Mon, Oct 6, 14 at 9:11

• Toni S
    9 years ago

Cigarette butts on the ground and the people who put them there.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

"Have a nice day". So sick of that one. And it doesn't mean squat. It's just an automatic thing.

• wantoretire_did
    9 years ago

People who post about misspellings and misspell a word in the postâ¦â¦.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

Good one, Wantoretire_did!