SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodnymph2_gw

The Sheltering Sky - Book Discussion

woodnymph2_gw
14 years ago

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

I decided to start this thread on Paul Bowles' novel before detail fades in memory. Feel free to join in.

I'm always surprised by the ending, even though I've read this at least 3 times. I think it is superbly well-written, the style is well-paced,and the descriptions of the desert and the natives of North Africa is exquisite.

I think its major theme, the gradual descent of a young woman into madness is very well depicted. I read 3 critiques which state that the character of Kit is actually based on Bowles' wife, Jane, who did live in Tangier and who did go mad, at the end of her life. Port, the husband, is Paul himself, and their relationship is evocative of certain events in their actual married life. (I'm now reading Millicent Dillon's "A Little Original Sin" which throws more light upon this enigmatic, complicated marriage. I find fascinating the exodus of American writers and artists overseas, during the post WW II years. The same event occurred after WW I, when so many expatriates fled to Paris (Hemingway, Fitzgerald, et al.) During the 1940's, the mecca seemed to be North Africa, Tangier and Fez, specifically.

Someone asked was this novel existential. At first, I thought no. Upon re-reading it, I've changed my opinion. It's theme is the clash of atavism and barbarism vs. "Civilization". Thus the theme reminded me of Golding's "Lord of the Flies." From what I've read, Bowles used this theme in many of his works. I've also read Camus and Sartre, both existentialist authors, and find echoes of those in this novel.

The 3 protagonists are deracinated, drifters, cut off, and affected with "anomie". They evoke a disenchantment with Western society and cultural values, a seeking of more primitive lifestyles. Some are fleeing the war scene, deliberately choosing the exoticism and mystery of the Middle East, hoping to evoke in themselves some passion, hoping to feel alive. Some weaker in character were sucked in and ultimately destroyed, as Bowles reveals in a subtle, gradual manner.

Jane Bowles (a talented writer in her own right) has been compared to Zelda Fitzgerald, another writer whose work was eclipsed by the career of her husband, F.Scott. And like Zelda, Jane went mad at the end....

I was impressed by the symbolism in the novel, re: the sheltering sky, which hides darkness and nothingness behind it. Over and over again, the sky is referenced, protecting the innocent from death and nothingness.

What did you think of part 3, when Kit "escapes" and takes on a totally different persona? Were you shocked?

Would like to hear your comments, other than the mere fact that you "hated this book."

Comments (10)