SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
picassocat

RP Book Discussion Group

picassocat
17 years ago

Hi everyone,

How about we get this monthly discussion group up and running again. We can engage in a classic, short story, or something contemporary. So, please feel free to make some suggestions, then we will take a vote on which books to discuss.

Adam

Comments (71)

• woodnymph2_gw
    17 years ago

I don't think I can take any more Faulkner. As a southerner, it was shoved down my throat one too many times....I prefer Wharton's other works, such as "Summer" and "Ethan Frome." Perhaps the Shelley is more appealing, as I have not read that author.

• granjan
    17 years ago

Not Ethan Frome but I've never read Summer. A new Wharton sounds great, but I'd also try The Last Man. I hated some of Falkner and loved other stuff. But it's been a LONG time and I can't remember As I Lay Dying.

• Related Discussions

RP book discussion - what's next?

Q

Comments (50)
    Hmmm... for the sake of tossing out ideas... For some reason I've been in the mood to go back and read some of our Southern writers. I know Faulkner has been mentioned here before. Others I've been wanting to revisit include Eudora Welty and Robert Penn Warren. In fact, the new movie version of All the King's Men with Sean Penn, Jude Law and Kate Winslet comes out in Sept. It might be fun to read it before it comes out. For something fun and frothy, I haven't read anything by Thorne Smith. Thought it might be fun to give him a try, but don't know how available his books are these days.
    ...See More

Advance notice - RP discussion - The Optimist's Daughter

Q

Comments (13)
    I've now got my copy of The Optimist's Daughter, and The Name of the Rose will have to wait for a bit now. Read the first part on the train into work today. Just a reminder - Saturday June 16th is the date I'm intending to start.
    ...See More

RP Discussions - November to January and on...

Q

Comments (57)
    Cindy - You have to go to the original forum page - the red one with the lovely picture of the lady with the funny hands (we had a whole thread on this once), and there at the top you'll find the "Post a Message" link. Just click on that and off you go. If you still have problems, email me. I tried emailing you but yours isn't enabled through gardenweb.
    ...See More

Book Discussions?

Q

Comments (55)
    I was horrified by the behavior of the children in this novel. It took me back in time to a place where a "good" friend of mine and I competed for attention driven partly by a kind of jealousy we had for each other. It made me think of times when both of us were unkind to each other, but the young girls in this story really take it to extremes. I felt myself wanting to fight back for Elaine, all the while knowing I could not. So I guess this story really hit a familiar yet uncomfortable place in my heart which is why I had such a strong reaction to it. In spite of this, I have more Atwood stories in my TBR pile, as I do overall like her writing because she does a good job of pulling me in emotionally.
    ...See More
  • picassocat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK let's make a decision about this, so we can have a discussion on 1 September.

Adam

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

Didn't we just do a month of Faulker?

Here are the nominations so far. Are we ready to vote?

>The Last Man

>Age of Innocence

>Mademoselle Benoir

>Bel Canto

>Corelli's Mandolin

>Frankenstien (this actually could be perfect for October)

>The Dead by James Joyce

>Cathedral by Raymond Carver

I'd vote for Corelli and Cathedral

• sheriz6
    17 years ago

I'll cast my vote for The Age of Innocence.

• veronicae
    17 years ago

Bel Canto

• ccrdmrbks
    17 years ago

Age of Innocence

• woodnymph2_gw
    17 years ago

Bel Canto or Corelli's Mandolin

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    17 years ago

I guess you can vote for your own suggestion, so Bel Canto, but I would like to reread Frankenstein.

• picassocat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The Age of Innocence as well.

• phoebecaulfield
    17 years ago

I have a question. Why was the Faulkner book, As I Lay Dying, dropped from the list?

I see 4 people who didn't want to deal with it (one of those 4 came in with negative comments on it twice), but 6 people who said that the Faulkner would be OK with them.

• picassocat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'll be glad to discuss Faulkner if anyone else wants to. I haven't read any of his novels before, so count me in. I'll also do The Age of Innocence too.

adam

• ccrdmrbks
    17 years ago

But I did say I would urge those who hadn't read it to do so and have a discussion-there is lots to discuss.
    I try to be fair.

• veronicae
    17 years ago

I assumed that Faulkner was dropped because he was a recent discussee. But that was my first choice. The others totally don't interest me, or are books that I have tried before and set aside.

• phoebecaulfield
    17 years ago

veronicae, I feel the same way.

But could somebody tell me when Faulkner was a recent discussee? How recent is "recent"?

I looked back for 4 months and found no discussion of Faulkner. Maybe I don't know how to look.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

>I assumed that Faulkner was dropped because he was a recent discussee

Um, I'm not in charge here. When I typed the list, I didn't think we would read Faulkner because we just read him (am I remembering wrong, but wasn't our last discussion a series of stories by Faulkner?) But notice my post - I said 'are we ready to vote?'. If we aren't, then we'll stop and add what ever is necessary. We don't have to start the first, either. So, As I Lay Dying should be on the list?

• veronicae
    17 years ago

I usually read along but don't discuss...so I'm not sure how much weight my vote carries, but I would like to see it...and, because I like Faulkner, would probably jump in. Otherwise, I will sit quietly and learn.

• picassocat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

veronicae, your vote and opinion is much valued here, as is everyone else's. I enjoy your insights into books, and for you to add your interpretation to a Faulkner discussion would be great.

I don't recall any debate about Faulkner here on RP. That's not to say it didn't happen, as I miss all kinds of things here.

If there is enough interest in discussing Faulkner, then I would be glad to lead the talk, but remember I have not read him before and I'm not much of a literary scholar.

We need someone to lead for the Bel Canto discussion. Any volunteers?

Also, would someone like to take charge of The Age of Innocence discussion?

All set for the beginning of September.

Adam

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

>I don't recall any debate about Faulkner here on RP

I did some searching. Apparently there had been talk of Faulkne last time around, and Turn of the Screw was chosen. I had thought that was a Faulkner work. Mea culpa

>but remember I have not read him before and I'm not much of a literary scholar.

In my humble opinion, this is much preferred - readers who come to a book with their own experiences and discuss their thoughts with similar types. If we have someone who is a scholar to help us, great. But I don't think its a necessary trait in a leader. In fact based on some discussions that have been lead by a 'literary scholar' elseforum, its not even helpful.

So now Im confused - are we doing As I Lay Dying in Sept?

• veronicae
    17 years ago

Ok...this is easy. Bel Canto has been murmuring from the top of the secondary TBR pile for awhile...and getting louder and more insistent, and I think that The Age of Innocence is up there as well. And I have the Faulkner on order at the library. First, I have to finish The Art of Mending and The Turn of the Screw. Great Itinerary for a rainy weekend.

• picassocat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Discussion to begin on:

October 1: The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton and Bel Canto by Ann Patchett.

November 1: Corelli's Mandolin by Louis De Bernieres and As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner (Adam to lead discussion).

How does everyone feel about this?

All we need now is someone to lead the discussion for Bel Canto, Age of Innocence, and Corelli's Mandolin.

Adam

• veronicae
    17 years ago

Got it...good that gives me time to slide in a couple of books I have close at hand.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

Um, refresh my memory - is this the group that discusses for two weeks on one book? If so, that sounds just fine, and I'd be glad to lead Corelli's Mandolin.

So is there a book for Sept?

• picassocat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Can we please have some volunteers to lead the October 1 discussion of The Age of Innocence and Bel Canto.

• granjan
    17 years ago

I'm not volunteering for this because I've never been around when you had DG. But I wanted to bump this up, since I want to participate. Haven't got the books yet, I'd better hurry!

• picassocat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I really want to discuss Wharton's book, so I'll lead an initial discussion on it.

Adam

• martin_z
    17 years ago

I'd like to join in with The Age of Innocence and Bel Canto, and I will try to. However, with the Booker short list coming out tomorrow, I'm going to have anything between two and six books which I want to read before the prize is announced On October 10th. (It depends on how many I've already read!)

I'll certainly join in with As I Lay Dying. I've never read any Faulkner - his reputation as a "hard" writer has put me off.

• carolyn_ky
    17 years ago

Martin, with all the books you have undertaken, I don't believe you will find Faulker "hard." Some people have trouble with his stream of consciousness books, but As I Lay Dying won't be difficult for you. Disgusting, maybe, but not hard.

BTW, one son is named Darl; and in a lit class after I went back to college as an adult, the teacher gave any number of names that could have been meant to be, including a pet name for Darling. She evidently wasn't a Georgia redneck or from rural Kentucky, or she would have known that it obviously is a corruption of Darrell.

• anyanka
    17 years ago

Have picked up The Age of Innocence from the library today and will read that instead of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil :-) I'm also hoping to join in with the Faulkner.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

I found a lovely B/n copy of Age of Innocence and will start reading it as soon as I finish my current read.

• phoebecaulfield
    17 years ago

About the name Darl in As I Lay Dying: it's probably the same as Daryl, with a different spelling. It's probably spelled the way the family would pronounce it.

• granjan
    17 years ago

So will the discussions of Bel Cantoand Age of Innocence both start on Oct.1? I'm about 1/3 into Peace like a River and I have 2 more library books due before the discussion books, obviously I need to do some planning here.

• veer
    17 years ago

I have ordered The Age of Innocence from the library but it may be some time before it arrives.
    I have seen it printed 'on line' but it's not an enjoyable or practical way for me to read a novel.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

ttt since Sept is half over! Oct 1 is fast approaching.

Almost done with Age of Innocence, and plan to read House of Mirth afterwards. Oh, this is good!

• granjan
    17 years ago

Check your library shelves, especially the main branch. Age of Innocence was checked out but I found it in a collection of 3 Wharton novels, Ethan Fromme, A of I and Old New York.

There was another volume with AOI in it as well. The one I got was smaller and I've never read, or I'm ashamed to admit, heard of Old New York!Will try it next.

The collections didn't show up in the online catolog, found them just because I checked when I went to pick up Bel Canto!

• phoebecaulfield
    17 years ago

I've looked for Bel Canto on Project Gutenberg but don't see it. I don't read printed books but can read online ones. If I requested this book on tape from the Talking Books library, it would take much too long to get it.

Does anyone know of an online version of this book?

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

>I don't read printed books

I'm curious jw - why not? I can't read much online except for articles. Reading a whole book is just impossible for me in front of a screen.

• georgia_peach
    17 years ago

Project Gutenberg will only have etext for books that belong in the public domain or have no copyright issue. Bel Canto is too recent to be on Gutenberg. However, you can sometimes find ebook editions at Amazon and other eBook sellers online. It appears that Amazon sells an audio download for Bel Canto but not an eBook, so I doubt there is an eBook edition yet.

• woodnymph2_gw
    17 years ago

Cindy, I'll be curious to hear what you think of House of Mirth, having just read it. I thought it better than Age of Innocence. I would like to discuss House of Mirth as well as Wharton's Summer with anyone interested.

I cannot imagine reading an entire book on line. Perhaps a short story, but even that would be pushing it for me.

• phoebecaulfield
    17 years ago

cindydavid4, you ask:

I don't read printed books
    I'm curious jw - why not? I can't read much online except for articles. Reading a whole book is just impossible for me in front of a screen.

--------------
    I have a chronic disorder that makes it almost impossible to hold up a book or turn the pages for very long--and there are vision problems too. On the screen I can keep magnifying the text until I get it right.

I (re)read all of The Mayor of Casterbridge in the Project Gutenberg format--unfortunately, it was months too late for anyone here to be interested in talking about it!

georgiapeach, thanks for reminding me about the public domain matter. I ought to have remembered that but didn't!

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

jw, thank you for your response. Totally understand.

>I would like to discuss House of Mirth as well as Wharton's Summer with anyone interested.

I suspect I'll be finished with House of Mirth by the time we start. I think the discussion could be very interesting if people made comparisions between Age of Innocence and the other books they've read by Wharton. Would that be ok?

• granjan
    17 years ago

Sounds fine to me.

• picassocat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sure, sounds good.

• granjan
    17 years ago

Just wondering if anyone is reading Bel Canto? All the chatter is about Wharton. Finished BC a few days ago and have one HUGE point I want to discuss!

Am enjoying AOI. Just got to part 2. I remebered the first part really well but don't remember the 2nd part. I wonder why not. I forgot how much I love her writing especially her vocabulary!

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

gran, I just finished House of Mirth and agree so much about her writing - descriptions of her characters are so perfect! (more later tho)

I read Bel Canto ages ago and have been in a couple of discussions on it. I think I know the huge point you want to discuss - around the end, is it? I'll be there to discuss.

• picassocat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have The Age of Innocence and Bel Canto on reserve at the library and both haven't been returned yet. I will join the discussion on both novels as soon as they come in and I read them. As I put my hand up to lead the discussion for The Age of Innocence, I won't be able to do it. So, can someone else please start off the thread on October 1 for both books? Even if is just one question to get the ball rolling. Thank you in advance.

Adam

• anyanka
    17 years ago

I could do The Age of Innocence, but not on the 1st as I hardly ever turn on the PC on Sundays. Haven't read Bel Canto.

• granjan
    17 years ago

Cindy, actually my point is from the very early part! Now I'm wondering about what I missed at the end!

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

Hee. I take it you didn't finish it? If you want, email me tell me your point. Or wait for the discussion :)

• granjan
    17 years ago

Yes I did finish it! Have thoughts about the ending but not as much about the early on issue. I'm going to wait so i don't have to say things twice.