SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petaloid

August Reading

petaloid
17 years ago

I'm reading the supplement to the August issue of Gourmet Magazine, which had been highly recommended by granjan on another forum -- thanks, Jan!.

It is a collection of 14 excellent, beautifully illustrated short stories. The small, nondescript booklet holding these treasures is enclosed in the plastic bag along with the magazine.

Story authors are:

Monique Truong

Pat Conroy

Maira Kalman

Robert Sietsema

Junot Diaz

David Rakoff

Jane & Michael Stern

Jane Smiley

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Ann Patchett

Nicole Mones

Thomas Beller

Calvin Trillin

Cynthia Zarin

Comments (150)

• gooseberrygirl
    17 years ago

Rouan, How did you like Tale of Hill Top Farm? I have read all three and just love them.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    17 years ago

I'm still on the Albert Speer kick. After the Spandau Diaries I read his Inside the Third Reich and now am reading a biography on him, Albert Speer: His Battle with Truth.
    He has been one of the most interesting people ever and I'll be sorry to see the end of this book.
    It's really made me want to search out more autobiographies.

• Related Discussions

August reading Part II

Q

Comments (28)
    I completed, and really enjoyed, Pearl Buck's Pavilion of Women. She writes about a wealthy ancient family in China living a very traditional lifestyle in the early 20th century and how the wife/mother's decision to have the husband take a concubine and, essentially, leave the wife alone has a ripple effect throughout the family. In this story, Buck deals with twentieth century life and changes intruding into this family and Chinese life generally. Unfortunately, I wasn't as interested in the second and third book of The Good Earth trilogy and back to the library they will go. Over the summer, I saw an IMAX film about the flooding from Katrina and one of the points it made was that the damming of the Mississippi done years ago to control flooding upland has had the unintended result of greatly decreasing soil deposits in the bayous. Now, the bayous are eroding which allows hurricanes to hit the mainland with a greater force than if the bayous were intact. While I realize this is one >theory, it does remind me that every action has a reaction--even if the original action was intended for good.
    ...See More

August reading part deux

Q

Comments (2)
    As a result of recommendations from this forum I read the author Rumer Godden for the first time. I was able to pick up the book "Kingfishers Catch Fire" at a second hand book store. Loved it! What a wonderful writer she is, with protagonists full of dreadful character flaws, and antagonists often displaying wisdom and kindness. The story is about a young English widow, Sophie, who strikes out on her own to live in beautiful Kashmir, India - against the advice of every family member and close friend. Sophie is bound and determined to live in Kashmir, even if her foolish choices cost her everything. Next on the TBR list by Goden : "In This House of Brede"
    ...See More

Lost in Shangra La

Q

Comments (2)
    And greater still, I didn't pick that error out until you did!
    ...See More

August reading --- in sun or shade....

Q

Comments (64)
    I am in the midst of The Curse of the House of Foskett by M.R.C. Kasaskian, but I am not sure exactly why. It is the second of a series of mystery novels with a Sherlock Holmes-like detective (only distinctly nastier). In place of Watson is his female ward, tenderhearted but bright. I found the first book clever but unpleasant, and started this one to see if it would be better. So far it is not. The hook that keeps stringing me along is the ward's tragic love affair from days past, recounted in her diary but concealed from the outside world. As far as I can see, it is the only redeeming grace.
    ...See More
  • carolyn_ky
    17 years ago

Astrokath, have you read Charles Todd? His books remind me of Rennie Airth, whom I really like, also.

I finished Black Swan Green and liked it very much.

• veronicae
    17 years ago

I finished Happiness is Extra late last night...almost 12:30 - what did it matter that I had to get up at 5:30? I thought it was going to be chick book...quick read. It was a pretty quick read, but it had some very good moments, some decision making that made sense that I would never had gotten to, had the author (book's upstairs, feet tired) drawn her characters so well. They were believable. None of them gave up, there were honest efforts made by the characters to make the right choices and to determine what the right choices were.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

Robin, if you are interested in that time of history, Sharon Kay Penman has an excellent series you might be interested in. Start with Here Be Dragons.

• rosefolly
    17 years ago

I just finished Never Let Me Go today. I read it for my book club, and it is not a book I would have chosen on my own. While I did not exactly take any pleasure from reading it, I found it to be extremely well written. Like getting a vaccination or cleaning the fridge, reading it was most likely good for me, a disagreeable but beneficial activity.

It is a book I admired, rather than loved.

Rosefolly

• mummsie
    17 years ago

There is a sea of mediocre memoirs out there , but Mary Ann Tirone Smith has written a standout.
    She and her autistic brother grew up in Hartford, Conn. during the 50's surrounded with a large Italian/French family.
    The family story is interesting enough but she takes this opportunity to finally acknowledge the long repressed murder of a fifth grade classmate. I read it one go.

Girls of Tender Age , Mary Ann Tirone Smith

• colormeconfused
    17 years ago

Robin, I second Cindy's recommendation of Sharon Kay Penman's excellent series of books. I spent an entire summer a few years ago reading them and absolutely loved them.

• ccrdmrbks
    17 years ago

Another vote for Sharon Kay Penman

• sherwood38
    17 years ago

I also really enjoyed all Sharon Kay Penman's books.

I just finished The Breaker by Minette Walters, it was the first of her books that I have read and I did enjoy it and her misdirections!

Then I started reading my first book by George Pelecanos, Drama City and I am not quite hating it, not sure I will finish it and am certainly not enjoying it-a book about cruelty to animals and lots of gang stuff in the DC area-did I chose the wrong book as my first read by this author?

Pat

• colormeconfused
    17 years ago

Pat, I have not enjoyed the last couple of George Pelecanos' novels. I really like his series with the character Derek Strange, but the other books leave me cold for some reason.

True confession: I started reading Drama City last year and took it back to the library. I just couldn't get into it. Last week, I started reading his newest, The Night Gardener, and had the same problem. Back to the library it went.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

Oh, I love pushing Penman on people and then finding out that I have accomplishes! (sp)

I am half way through Piano Man's Daughter and am pretty sure this will be my favorite after Pilgrim. He was such an amazing writer; I wish he was still around - wouldve loved to read more.

• Kath
    17 years ago

Carolyn, thanks for the recommendation, I will check Todd out.

I am another great Penman fan, but I would recommend avoiding her mystery series - in contrast to her 'history' books, I find the mysteries are not all that well written. I think she overdoes the 'see, here is a medieval street' thing (I don't know how else to explain it) and the mysteries themselves aren't very good (JMHO).

• ccrdmrbks
    17 years ago

I read Penman's mysteries first, and then was led by them to her histories-as with all mysteries, you sometimes have to suspend disbelief to even get the characters she creates in the same room-but from there I like them for what they are. The difference between a good filling meal, and a snack. We need them both!
    I am anxious for the completion of the Henry II-Eleanor trilogy.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

astro, I agree completely about the mysteries. They were ok, but such a disappointment after the other fantastic histories that she written. Someone told me that they felt more like YA books - not sure, but they weren't for me.

And yes cc, I hope there is a completion of that trilogy. You know she has Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, right? Last I read in her website she was planning on finishing but there wasn't a set date.

• ccrdmrbks
    17 years ago

yes, I had seen her letters to readers about her illness-but I thought it was mono-has it morphed? I think it can do that. Very hard to treat.

• sheriz6
    17 years ago

I'm back from vacation and had a terrific amount of reading time. I finished In the Cherry Tree, which was a wonderful coming of age story though I thought it might have veered just a little, tiny bit too much into suburban dysfunction toward the end - still, a minor complaint about a very good book.

I read Karen Armstrong's A History of Myth, an interesting though certainly not gripping overview of myth within world history. I followed that up with the excellent and engaging Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan (I will never look at Johnny Appleseed or fast food french fries the same way again). I also read a delightful Georgette Heyer, The Quiet Gentleman.

Finally, I'm nearly through what is shaping up to be my favorite book of the year thus far, The Big House, by George Howe Colt. His writing is exquisite and having spent many childhood summers in rented houses on Cape Cod with my extended family, I can completely relate to his history of his family's summer home. I'm hoping to finish it tonight and face the pile of unpacking and post-vacation laundry tomorrow!

• drafted72
    17 years ago

I am surprised it has not been mentioned in this forum yet....

Left to Tell by Immaculee Ilibagzia.

She was on PBS recently with Dr. Wayne Dyer and she just wonderful. At Amazon.com the last time I looked there was about 50 reviews of this book and all rated it 4 out of 4.

After reading it, I changed a little.

• woodnymph2_gw
    17 years ago

I'm almost finished with Madeleine Albright's "The Mighty and the Almighty", an incisive look at what the West could be doing to help the situation in the Middle East and elsewhere. Lots of just good, plain, commonsense ideas -- quite refreshing and enlightening to read, IMO.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

wood, that is sitting on my TBR shelf. Looking forward to it as I have always had the utmost respect for her (she gave a reading locally a year or so ago. Amazing woman). BTW her memoir Madame Secretary is well worth the read.

> I thought it was mono-

You may be right, I need to double check. But whatever it is, she doesn't have the energy to write. Sad, not to be able to do what you are passionate and very good at.

• dorieann
    17 years ago

Recently finished Snow Blind by P.J. Tracy and enjoyed it much more than their last book. My, but do these ladies have an eerie imagination.

IÂm currently enjoying The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde, the first of the Nursery Crime series. IÂm finding it much less convoluted than the Tuesday Next series, so of course ran right out and got the newest, The Fourth Bear. IÂd forgotten how much I enjoy his writing, though I'm convinced I'm missing tons of references. (I wish his books came with footnotes.)

Next up will be Copper River by William Kent Krueger, which I managed to snag today, two days prior to its scheduled release date. If you enjoy well-written mysteries and havenÂt tried this series, do yourself a favor and give it a try. The first in the series is Iron Lake, which won both the Anthony and Barry awards for Best First Novel.

• rambo
    17 years ago

Well I finished The Historian after hearing so much about it. I really enjoyed it.

I then read Lullaby by Chuch Palahniuk. I also really liked this book. His writting is just so different and, well...artistic. This is the second book of his I've read and I look forward to some of his other books, but I doubt I could read 2 of his books back to back.

I've got Ian Rankin's The Falls lined up next, one of my rummage sale finds.

• pam53
    17 years ago

dorieann-i loved PJ Tracy's other book but the latest looks so short-glad to hear it's good. I am reading Karin Slaughter's Triptych-really good 2/3 into it. I've enjoyed all her thriller/mysteries and think this may be her best yet.

• dorieann
    17 years ago

Pam, I read Slaughter's first book but it was a little too gruesome for me. How gory is the latest? I hear it's a standalone, so would be willing to give it a try.

• colormeconfused
    17 years ago

I'll agree that Karin Slaughter's books can be exceptionally gruesome, especially the first one in the series. She is what you might call...um...unflinching in her description of violence. If I'm not mistaken, the later books aren't quite as gory as the first one. Time may have dulled my memory, though, so don't hold me to that.

• granjan
    17 years ago

I have enjoyed the 1st 2 of William Kent Krueger's mysteries. Should get back to them. I picked up the 1st one in the Minneapolis airport because I like reading local, and was surprised by how good the characterizations were. Since I go to MN a lot I should get back to him.

I tried to get into The Historian but it was just too long and the vampire stuff just doen't do it for me. I slogged through Jonathan Strange hoping I would eventually like it but I didn't. Wasn't willing to give Historian the same time.

Have gotten engrossed in a thriller about the goddess myth! Picked it up on the library paperback rack and am quite caught up in Daughter of God by Lewis Perdue. Hope to finish it on the plane to MN.

Then on to Bookwoman's Last Fling that I just got on reserve. No heavy reading this summer.

• woodnymph2_gw
    17 years ago

I've completely switched gears and am immersed in "The Monsters: Mary Shelley & the Curse of Frankenstein" by the Hooblers. Basically, a biography, with much fascinating information about Byron, Lord Gordon, and Percey Shelley. These were part of a radical group of iconoclasts of their time, who believed in free love and equal rights. Details how Mary Shelley came to write her imaginative tale on a stormy night in Switzerland as the group all tried to outdo each other with entertaining stories....

• lemonhead101
    17 years ago

Been reading quite a lot lately - just a spate of good books really. Last week, read "Timoleon Vieta Come Home" by Dan Rhodes - a story about an old guy who has a sweet dog, but has to choose in the end between his lover and his dog. A SHOCKING ending - took my breath away and really annoyed me, but I am still thinking about it so it was good from that perspective. I wish it had finished some other way though...

Then read "Dreaming in Cuban" by Cristina Garcia about three generations of women who live (or used to live) in Cuba. Jumped around a lot so rather confusing, but ok.

Now on to a complete change of pace and something very new to me: fantasy. Reading "Wicked: The life and times of the Wicked Witch of the West" by Gregory Macguire. Surprisingly good and I am really enjoying it although it's not something that I would normally pick up. I am loving it though... Who woulda thought that? Not me.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

Of the four books I've read by Maguire, Wicked is by far the best, the most layered, and the most interesting. (The musical is coming to our city in January and I've heard rumors that my sis got us tickets for my birthday!) Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister and Mirror Mirror were interesting and fun, but much more fluff than the first.

• colormeconfused
    17 years ago

I've picked up Wicked at Barnes & Noble over and over, wondering if it is worth a read. Sounds like it is.

I finished Black Swan Green a couple of days ago. I enjoyed it, even though the only copy the library had was large print and I felt like I was reading a billboard.

I started Fingersmith by Sarah Waters yesterday and am happily immersed in it. Waters does such a fantastic job of wrapping the reader in atmosphere that I tend to lose track of the time and am surprised to come to myself and realize I'm sitting in my reading chair, not in the heart of a gloomy house with a cold, menacing wind rattling the windows.

• pam53
    17 years ago

dorieann-I have read all of her books. The latest may be the best. Since I have read them in order I don't remember the first very well. I don't think the latest book " too"gruesome although it certainly contains its share. It doesn't bother me though if the writer is good. Have you read Laura Lippman's books? I like them alot and they are definitely not gruesome.

• georgia_peach
    17 years ago

I'm sitting here reading "Five Children and It" by Edith Nesbit, since - shame on me - I've never read any of her books before. It's delightful so far. I'm trying to imagine what "beautiful as the day" would look like. A pleasant thought, actually. Especially when I think about my daughter's hair glowing like moonshine after I brush it in the mornings. Yes, I'm trapped at work on a boring, boring day.

• carolyn_ky
    17 years ago

My library copy of Black Swan Green was a large print edition, too, Confused. I finished it pretty late at night and picked up my Bible for my daily reading. The contrast from large print to very small was "confusing."

• Kath
    17 years ago

I have just finished an advance copy of Mark Haddon's latest, called A Spot of Bother. (He wrote The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time).
    It is quite an odd book, about a family with, shall I say, a few problems. Not exactly rivetting in the material, but on the other hand, it was a page turner - I just had to find out how much worse things could get! Still not sure about how I would rate it, but I'm glad I read it.

• venusia_
    17 years ago

Slowly getting through White Man's Burden, a reply to Jeffrey Sachs' The End of Poverty. In the meanwhile I finished Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell, which was just okay.

Also have Fingersmith, can't wait to get into it.

• colormeconfused
    17 years ago

I just finished Fingersmith this morning. What a pleasure it was; I was sorry to see it end. Next up is Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey.

• pam53
    17 years ago

I am reading The Secret River by Kate Grenville and enjoying it so far. I think it was recently published in the US? Does anyone have an opinion about her other novels?

• books4joy
    17 years ago

I've stayed inside nursing a cold this weekend and enjoyed finishing some books I started earlier in the month. Rebecca was an excellent read and I could not put it down. I didn't expect all the twists and turns the novel afforded.

Ruined by Reeading (Lynne Sharon Schwartz) was an okay read of one woman's musings on books.

• veronicae
    17 years ago

I have had a mini-marathon since Wednesday and I have read or finished reading:
    Idyll Banter by Bohjalian, which is a collection of short essays that are actually his published newspaper columns. They are reflections on life in small town Vermont - humorous, thoughtful, serious and meditative - quite enjoyable and thought provoking.
    Five Mile House by Novak - novel about a supernatural happenings in a small town. I was led to this after reading Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House, and I will move on to James's The Turn of the Screw. This was an easier read than Jackson's...but makes parallels between belief and non-belief, not only of witchcraft and ghosts, but also God. It presents the question of who needs God more than a non-believer, atheist, non-wiccan, etc - because, defining themselves by what they don't believe in...they need that entity to exist in order to have it to "not believe in".
    Berg - The Art of Mending - family relationships gone awry.
    And (until 2 a.m. this morning) All the Numbers - a novel of a woman's first year of surviving the death of her child. I applaud this one, if for no other reason than the author really did her homework on the hospital setting and care of an injured child...and parent reactions, etc. It is well written.

• gooseberrygirl
    17 years ago

veronicae I enjoyed Idyll Banter when I read it several months ago. I like books like that. Have you read Mama Makes Up Her Mind by Bailey White ? Same thing, only different.

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    17 years ago

Finished The Beast in the Garden by David Baron. It deals with the conflicts developing as we make our environment more critter friendly which brings the predators to our backyards. No answers, but he does present a robust discussion of the issues. Even though the book starts with finding the remains of a person, the story of it happened is gripping.

Felt a need to revisit old friends and pulled Heinlein's Assignment in Eternity off the shelf and the paperback fell apart as I read it. This collection of short stories includes: "Gulf" wherein a secret society of supermen save the earth and moon from itself; "Legacy" the tale of a secret society of people with superpowers that save the world from itself and features Ambrose Bierce in a supporting role; the story of the professor who teaches his seminar students how to mind control their way through various time dimensions; and the one where the genetically engineered worker Jerry is proven to be a man 'cause he can sing.

In deciding to read down my library, I picked up the >20 year old Coming of Age in the Milky Way - basically a history of science. It will be interesting to see how or if the last 20 years have changed our view of what was important.

• phoebecaulfield
    17 years ago

I just finished A Spanish Lover by Joanna Trollope. Good book!

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

chris, that issue of development encroachment on wildlife has been a huge issue here. People get upset about seeing a mt lion or a coyote, but forget that the area was their home long before their home was built. Definitely some conflicts. I have a few friends that would be interested in that book, Ill pass that title on, thanks.

And that Heinlein was a college fav of mine. I don't think I even have a copy any more, but recognize those stories from those descriptions. I may need to search for another copy.

>Ruined by Reeading (Lynne Sharon Schwartz) was an okay read of one woman's musings on books.

I didn't actually care for that one; a little too much about her self and too little about the books she read. A better one is Ex Libris by Anne Fadiman (she is the daughter of Clifton Faidman). Another fav is Moel Perrin A Reader's Delight.

Also if you are interested in very detailed books about books, pick up any of Nicholas Basbanes books: A Gentle Madness, Among the Gently Mad, Splendor of Letters and Every Book its Reader. The books are about books, readers and collectors (my fav parts) but also deal with many issues of pulishing, writing and library archives that I found very interesting. Some parts get very detailed, but for the most part found the books fascinating.

We have been working on a bathroom redecor project all weekend and I haven't read a thing. Just pulled Russian Debunate's Handbook off the TBR shelf and it looks like the perfect sort of madness I can get into.

• georgia_peach
    17 years ago

Found an online version of Queen Margot by Alexendre Dumas. I've been reading it in short little spurts here and there. Does anyone know of a good bio on either Marguerite of Valois or Henry of Navarre (Henry IV)? I've always felt Marguerite led a fascinating life, but haven't read enough about her. This is one of Dumas' overlooked novels that deserves a wider audience, IMO.

Also just finished Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey, which I met with mixed results. Not sure if I want to pursue it further. Carey creates an interesting alternate sort of early French Renaissance type culture, but in the end some of the over-the-top heroics of the protagonists soured me a bit. I thought she missed some opportunities to add some real psychological depth to some of the characters.

After this, I'm tempted to pick up Jeanette Winterson's Written on the Body. It's sitting there staring at me from the TBR pile. :-)

• veer
    17 years ago

Georgia, there is a 3 volume history of Henry of Navarre by George James and Queen of Hearts: Marguerite of Valois by Charlotte Haldane, both in English, although I haven't read them so cannot say how good they are.

Have just ploughed through The Forge and the The Store by Thomas Stribling and Lawdy Ladwy I'm all dun tucker'd out with 'Flaunce' Alabama and its down-trodden black population, its failed white planters in their collapsing 'manors', KKK members, elopements, po' trash, lynchin's, less than virtuous Southern Belles, Baptist preachers . . . as Stribling won the Pulitzer prize for these books I presume they paint an accurate picture of the South during and after the Civil War.

These Foolish Things by Deborah Moggach. I always enjoy D M's books. She is one of those writers who can cover a range of subjects/characters and always comes up with a good 'story'.
    This one is about a group of 'pensioners' who, unlikely as it may seem, decide to leave England and take up residence in a Home for Elderly people in India and how the quality of their new lives in such a outwardly poor country is changed, sometimes for the better. Full of interesting well-drawn characters. It might be a bit too English for US readers!

Nobody's Child by the BBC correspondent Kate Adie.
    KA was adopted as a baby and this is an interesting look at the history of 'foundlings' in Western Society and the early attempts to deal with the problem in London (Coram's Foundling Hospital), Paris and later New York. The huge number of deaths of these children when in 'care' and later attempts at adoption and the hurdles placed by the various religious bodies are well recorded.
    Although the book is inclined to ramble here and there it would be a fascinating read for anyone who was adopted or maybe who's ancestors (up to WWII) were sent 'out West' from east Coast USA or to Australia from the UK.

I am on the point of giving up on The Sea by John Banville. I suppose as it was the winner of the Booker Prize I should have known better than to start it.
    The author looks back on a childhood holiday at the Irish 'sea-side' and his relationship with a family visiting the area. I don't enjoy reading about school boy erotic fantasies especially over-written passages describing female smells and find I don't care what happened to him when young or his failed relationships as a middle-aged man.
    I shall look out for something more wholesome to read.

• Kath
    17 years ago

I am sorry to say that over the weekend I finished the latest P J Tracy, called Snow Blind, and was quite disappointed.
    Firstly, the Monkeewrench crew were hardly in it, and then the ending was quite poor I thought.

I did, however, enjoy my first Barry Maitland book, The Marx Sisters.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

>I presume they paint an accurate picture of the South during and after the Civil War.

Don't know why he won the Pulitzer (havent read the book) but based on your descriptions, yeah they sound pretty accurate.

BTW, an excellent book about the last days of the civil war is The March by EL Doctorow. I thought I knew what was happening there, obviously didnt. Another fascinating book about the civil war in the south was Only Living Confederate Widow Tells all by Alan Gurganas. This isn't a book you have to slough through - the writing is quite excellent and readable.

And another forum was reading The Sea and I could not get passed the first few pages.

• colormeconfused
    17 years ago

I read The Sea several months ago. It's doesn't make my list of favorite books that I've read this year, but I don't regret reading it.

And I second Cindy's recommendation of The March by Doctorow.

• friedag
    17 years ago

...as Stribling won the Pulitzer prize for these books I presume they paint an accurate picture of the South during and after the Civil War.

I am on the point of giving up on The Sea by John Banville. I suppose as it was the winner of the Booker Prize I should have known better than to start it.

Vee, think of the Pulitzer as the equivalent of the Booker -- both choose the most sensationalistic, least accurate, and least representative of real folk that they possibly can. The name of their game seems to be reinforcement of stereotypes -- think of the "flavour" the Booker Prize has acquired for itself and you'll get the idea.

As I said on another thread, Stribling's type of book about the South is written for, and believed by, readers who don't know a cotton-bloomin' thing about the South.

• woodnymph2_gw
    17 years ago

Vee, LOL. the Stribling books sound awful. Remind me to never go near them. Sounds as if you might have done better to read Thomas Nelson Page (Ole Virginie) or the Little Colonel Series (Ole Kentuck). ;-)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company