SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elliottb_gw

Formative reading when growing up?

elliottb
16 years ago

My son is at the "tweener" stage in reading, and IÂm wondering what books I should try to get him to read now and as he enters his early teens.

He loves to read fantasy. Some of his favorites include: the Harry Potter series, The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Rick RiordanÂs Percy Jackson series (starting with "The Lightning Thief"), Lloyd AlexanderÂs Prydain Chronicles, the Artemis Fowl series, the Alex Rider boy spy series, and Cornelia FunkeÂs Inkheart and Inkspell. HeÂs also read a lot of Star Wars related books and comics and has enjoyed reading Calvin and Hobbes collections. He never liked the Hardy Boy series (I never got into those either).

I know when I was growing up I wasted an inordinate amount of time on sports-related books such that were not good quality writing, but they did make me into a reader. My parents really never tried to push books on me, but as I got older I did raid their bookshelves and my older brotherÂs books. In my early teens I expanded beyond sports books and read Sherlock Holmes short stories, Nero Wolfe books, and some of James Herriot. I also read some books, such as "Jaws", "Semi-Tough", and "North Dallas Forty", and Sidney Sheldon that my parents were not aware of some of the questionable content in them. Later, when I got into college I started reading more of the classics (some for classes, but some on my own). Some of the books I like to read now, such as Wodehouse, I wish I would have been exposed to in my teenage years (but who knows if I would have been interested in them?).

With all this in mind, when you were growing up (or as your kids were growing up) what books do you remember as being special or that gave you a love not just of reading, but helped you appreciate good literature?

Comments (27)