SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amber904

When Step Kids Grow Up......

amber904
15 years ago

I'm really interested to hear from the stepkids on this one or even the step parents of grown stepchildren..or whoever wants to comment..:)

I know my stepkids love me to death and I love them too. We've had custody of them for 4 years and the youngest is 5. We are very close and I try as hard as I can to make them feel like they belong, I just worry sometimes that they don't feel that way. We are a blended family, so my sd and bd share a room, as do my ss and bs. My step kids visited their mother in NY for Christmas and when they came back they were telling me how much they miss her and how they wish they lived there. I know that it is normal for them to feel like that and I am glad that they had a great time. But it does hurt when they tell me that they wish they lived with her, especially since I have been their mother for all this time. She has only seen them 2 times in the past 3 years. I know that they were on vacation while they were there and so they got to go out to eat a lot and see extended family that they haven't seen in years and I believe that they may think that if they lived with their mother things would be like that all of the time. They are young and might not understand so when they tell me they miss their mom I just tell them "I know".

I just want to hear your experiences with these situations and how everyone reflects on it now that they are grown up and can understand what their step parents actually did for them. Sometimes I feel like I don't mean as much to my stepkids as their biomom does, even though I am more of a mom to them. I guess I just want some hope that they will appreciate me later. Thanks a lot for your comments and advice :)

Comments (57)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert