When Step Kids Grow Up......
17 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (57)
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
Related Discussions
When You Were Growing Up, What Was The...
Comments (46)I attended Norfork (Arkansas) Elementary, Junior, and High Schools. All three were in the same complex. 1961-1974. I just barely remember attending a kindergarten for the few months I lived with Mom in Kansas City, MO. I moved back to Grandma's to start 1st grade. The stone buildings (grand and beautiful relics from the CCC days) are still there, but most are now in a sad condition. The beautiful tall windows were boarded in; the hardwood floors covered with vinyl; the 15-20 ft. ceilings lowered, all in the cheapest materials possible. Various groups and organizations have used the buildings since their school days. The schools have all moved a few miles south and are housed in sterile, boxy, metal buildings. I attended one year of college at The School of the Ozarks, in Branson, MO., (now called College of the Ozarks). My mother attended all four years of her high school here and graduated in 1954. I took various classes and credits through University of Arkansas and Community College of the Air Force. Not quite a full degree though. Our former high school gym has not suffered. It's now the Boys and Girls Club. I tried to play basketball on this floor; our consession stand was to the right in the alcove. I flirted with boys outside the gym. I graduated on this stage. I haven't seen the inside of this building in 30+ years. I burst into tears when I "found" it on line. I look at this and I can hear my friends' voices; I can smell the varnish. The lights are new, and the old board ceiling has been painted but it's still "the gym." The covered entrance, and the deck are new, but they're not too bad....See MoreAre kids today fatter than when you were a kid?
Comments (28)I think it is more of the popularaity of the fast food places than it is working moms or kids vegging out in front of the TV. Kids today are involved in much more activities as compared to when I was a child. When parents have that much running around it is much easier to run through a drive thru or get pizza on the way home (stay at home or working mom) then it is to make a meal, get everyone to sit down, clean up and get out the door. I know because I have four kids and it's not that they are in too much by themselves but with 4 kids it makes for a busy week. I am a sahm but I still struggle with getting them from school, getting homework done, and getting them a nutritious dinner. When we get home in the evening that is when the dishes are cleaned off the table. It is so tempting to just run to McDonalds. Also, did you ever notice how many kids have lunchables packed in their lunches? Those things are packed with sodium, fat, calories, and tons of preservatives. Plus my kids' schools starting selling snacks (like nutty buddies and ho hos for lunch) I tell my kids "no you eat the snack that I pack and you are not getting a ho ho" But of course their friends get them (12 fat grams in the pack of 2) and share some of it with them from time to time. Can you imagine the amount of fat grams these kids are getting? Over 30 at lunch with their lunchable and their nutty buddies and then 30 more at dinner if they eat at a fast food place... not to mention any cookies they might snack on through the day? That amount of fat will make an adult gain weight. I hear that some schools actually have fast food like McDonalds available to them. So even if the kids were active in sports and activities they are getting too many fat grams to offset it :( Also I heard that kids today are getting too much juice. There are a lot of calories in juice and a lot of natural sugars. It is better for them to eat the fruit than it is to drink the fruit juice. I always have OJ but after 2 glasses of it they have to switch to water. My kids would drink a half gallon of OJ a day if I let them (each one of them) So kids are drinking a lot more calories than they use to as well....See MoreAnyone with Grown Kids and Young Step Kids?
Comments (5)What kind of arrangements are usually made regarding visitation? If this is just one of those rare times you will be having the kids this much, it would be worth it to stick it out then look forward to less frequent visitation. I am not in your boat - the opposite, actually. My steps are 22,24,26 and my sons (with DH) are 3, almost 5, 7. My problems arise because DH cannot, and has never been able to say "no" to his now adult kids. He is more willing to have us in a state of financial ruin than refuse these skids anything - and I'm talking luxuries, not essentials. Besides, they are all adults now. I cried a river the other day - told him that I lived for our 10 y. anniversary when we'd finally be able to start worrying about ourselves as they'd be out of college, etc. We have footed every bill for them since day 1. But, our ten year anniversary was spent w/ us barely speaking. His grown DD has been living w/ us for 6 months (supposed to be 3-4, lied to me about discussing the temporary status of the arrangement, she has no boundaries, he won't set any, when I do I'm the wicked witch...etc.) She hasn't offered one cent towards anything - utilities, toiletries, her car payment and insurance, etc. I've had it. So, the biggest problem I've had is my DH and his inability to have his kids show respect to me, our marriage and our space. This SD living w/ us now knows no boundaries (see my other posts for more if you want) When the kids were younger, though VERY polite to the rest of the world, they weren't so great to me. It was largely issues w/ the BM who fed them a bunch of lies back then, years later told the truth, but the damage was done, etc. So, I think what's pertinent to you is asking yourself why the boy is acting out now. Is he jealous of you - suddenly? You said you got along well before. Is he missing his mom and extra clingy to his dad? If so, than this too shall pass. Is the BM "normal" in that she doesn't resent you/lie to the kids/try to poison them against you and your fiance,etc? Is he having some normal growing pains? Hormones? I don't like the cruelty to animals, however. What instances are you talking about? How does his dad view this? If he misbehaves, is his dad on your side or does he ask you to give the kid a break repeatedly? If he tries to discipline him, you've probably got a smoother road ahead of you than the one I had. This isn't much help or what you asked for from me, but I want you to think about the whole picture - the X, her attitude, the kids general behavior and how their dad handles them, etc, before I can tell you to run for the hills or march down the aisle. Life is an adjustment, a series of compromises. Just don't enter into marriage as I did, thinking us loving one another would make all the wrongs right. Take a good, hard, long look at the man and how he handles things and see if you can live w/ that. In the end, though we often spend more time w/ the steps, if we aren't the custodial household, we often go through DH to get things done. You have to see how he will deal w/ stuff and see if you can live w/ that. Also, iron out the kids' luxuries, too. We've had issues w/ cars, colleges (SS transferred to a private college after FR. year) and stuff and w/ his kids' ages, I never dreamed I'd be paying for 5 cars each month.... Good luck, Dana...See MoreFormative reading when growing up?
Comments (27)I agree with looking at the Newbery list (not just the award winners, but the honor books as well). It contains a diverse range of books that should appeal to this age group. I'd also like to recommend Michael Ende's The Neverending Story if your son hasn't read it yet. It's classic fantasy, IMO, and can be read on different levels -- overall, a very transcendent piece of literature. I've recently discovered Nancy Farmer's books, too, and am a big fan of hers. Sea of Trolls has a boy protagonist and would make a nice tie-in for learning about Norse mythology. John Bellairs' Lewis Barnavelt or Johnny Dixon books are good for the age 9-12 range (sort of creepy, gothic mysteries for kids). I enjoyed them as a kid (and they are fun, nostalgic reads for adults, as well)....See More- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 4 years ago
Related Stories

FUN HOUZZScreen Style Forecast: When the 'Girls' Grow Up
We predict which decorating styles the girls on HBO's new series will choose when their taste matures. Do any match yours?
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: 1940s Fixer-Upper Grows Up With the Family
After living in their post–World War II house for 8 years, a couple transform it into a home that works for their family today
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESTeens' Rooms: The Haven Grows Up
Touches of Sophistication Mix With Fun in Your Teen's Dream Bedroom
Full Story
KIDS’ SPACESStep Right Up to a Top Model’s Circus-Inspired Nursery
Based on the big top and set in a real castle’s turret, this nursery could be the setting for a storybook
Full Story
FURNITUREThe Coffee Table Grows Up
These statement pieces reinvent the coffee table and can transform the living room
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSHouzz Tour: A Little Cottage Grows Up
Warm San Francisco Remodel Celebrates Past and Present
Full Story
GREEN BUILDINGGreen Grows Up: The Many Faces of Today's LEED Homes
While LEED-certified homes have some common characteristics, the rest is up to your imagination
Full Story
TRANSITIONAL STYLERoom of the Day: Multipurpose Space Grows Up for a Young Family
A designer revamps a New York living-dining room with light colors, flexible furnishings and sophisticated childproofing
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESRoom of the Day: Antiques Help a Dining Room Grow Up
Artfully distressed pieces and elegant colors take a formerly child-focused space into sophisticated territory
Full Story
CRAFTSMAN DESIGNHouzz Tour: A Craftsman Cottage Expands for a Growing Family
Not wanting to give up a house full of memories, a Texas family chooses to build up and out
Full Story
lamom