anyone like their step-kids?
25 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (55)
- 25 years ago
- 25 years ago
Related Discussions
Anyones kids like pawpaws?
Comments (13)I am Sam Sam I am That Sam-I-am! That Sam-I-am! I do not like that Sam-I-am! Do you like green eggs and ham? I do not like them, Sam-I-am. I do not like green eggs and ham. Would you like them here or there? I would not like them here or there. I would not like them anywhere. I do not like green eggs and ham . I do not like them, Sam-I-am. Would you like them in a house? Would you like them with a mouse? I do not like them in a house. I do not like them with a mouse. I do not like them here or there. I do not like them anywhere. I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them, Sam-I-am. Would you eat them in a box? Would you eat them with a fox? Not in a box. Not with a fox. Not in a house. Not with a mouse. I would not eat them here or there. I would not eat them anywhere. I would not eat green eggs and ham. I do not like them, Sam-I-am....See MoreAnyone with Grown Kids and Young Step Kids?
Comments (5)What kind of arrangements are usually made regarding visitation? If this is just one of those rare times you will be having the kids this much, it would be worth it to stick it out then look forward to less frequent visitation. I am not in your boat - the opposite, actually. My steps are 22,24,26 and my sons (with DH) are 3, almost 5, 7. My problems arise because DH cannot, and has never been able to say "no" to his now adult kids. He is more willing to have us in a state of financial ruin than refuse these skids anything - and I'm talking luxuries, not essentials. Besides, they are all adults now. I cried a river the other day - told him that I lived for our 10 y. anniversary when we'd finally be able to start worrying about ourselves as they'd be out of college, etc. We have footed every bill for them since day 1. But, our ten year anniversary was spent w/ us barely speaking. His grown DD has been living w/ us for 6 months (supposed to be 3-4, lied to me about discussing the temporary status of the arrangement, she has no boundaries, he won't set any, when I do I'm the wicked witch...etc.) She hasn't offered one cent towards anything - utilities, toiletries, her car payment and insurance, etc. I've had it. So, the biggest problem I've had is my DH and his inability to have his kids show respect to me, our marriage and our space. This SD living w/ us now knows no boundaries (see my other posts for more if you want) When the kids were younger, though VERY polite to the rest of the world, they weren't so great to me. It was largely issues w/ the BM who fed them a bunch of lies back then, years later told the truth, but the damage was done, etc. So, I think what's pertinent to you is asking yourself why the boy is acting out now. Is he jealous of you - suddenly? You said you got along well before. Is he missing his mom and extra clingy to his dad? If so, than this too shall pass. Is the BM "normal" in that she doesn't resent you/lie to the kids/try to poison them against you and your fiance,etc? Is he having some normal growing pains? Hormones? I don't like the cruelty to animals, however. What instances are you talking about? How does his dad view this? If he misbehaves, is his dad on your side or does he ask you to give the kid a break repeatedly? If he tries to discipline him, you've probably got a smoother road ahead of you than the one I had. This isn't much help or what you asked for from me, but I want you to think about the whole picture - the X, her attitude, the kids general behavior and how their dad handles them, etc, before I can tell you to run for the hills or march down the aisle. Life is an adjustment, a series of compromises. Just don't enter into marriage as I did, thinking us loving one another would make all the wrongs right. Take a good, hard, long look at the man and how he handles things and see if you can live w/ that. In the end, though we often spend more time w/ the steps, if we aren't the custodial household, we often go through DH to get things done. You have to see how he will deal w/ stuff and see if you can live w/ that. Also, iron out the kids' luxuries, too. We've had issues w/ cars, colleges (SS transferred to a private college after FR. year) and stuff and w/ his kids' ages, I never dreamed I'd be paying for 5 cars each month.... Good luck, Dana...See MoreHoliday arrangements with adult step kids
Comments (19)I absolutely agree that it is your house and you have the right to boundaries that are comfortable to you. Especially given the fact that they have proven that they should not be trusted. I am in the same situation -- we allowed my 19 y/o SD to live with us on her summer break and she took things from me and lied about it (clothes, shoes, jewelry, pictures...even toiletries!). So, I try to avoid getting into a situation of allowing her in our home when we are not there, but if being subtle doesn't work, I come out and say that I am not comfortable with her in our home alone -- and given our history, who can blame me?! I understand we need to honor the bond with their father, etc. etc., but we ARE entitled to protect our own boundaries -- even if they seem insecure or "evil" to others. And there is nothing evil about thinking that someone who stole from you in the past will do it again -- it is just facing that fact that Daddy's little girl may not be the sweet little thing she was when she sat on his lap 15 years ago....and your husband needs to remember how his daughter violated your trust in the past, and respect your feelings (even if he doesn't agree with them). And I don't agree that you should stay home -- you are entitled to celebrate the holidays as you wish...and you are entitled to have your personal space respected. Tell them to come over when you'll be home. And, it isn't like they "need" a local place to stay..... jerseystepmom...See MoreStep parenting help!! Step kids :(
Comments (3)M. Martin, plenty of SPs have been in your position. Being a SP is not an easy task, at all. Many who are both bio-parents and SPs say the step-parenting has been by far the more difficult. Dismissive attitudes from many, including counselors, unfortunately, are not all that uncommon either. Many have been taught or trained to think only from the perspective of the bio-parents and their children, and therefore don’t take SPs thoughts, feelings or rights (yes, SPs do have rights) into consideration much, if at all. One thing you could do that might help, is make sure you see a counselor well-experienced in blended families or one who is a SP him or herself. But, sometimes even that is questionable. Sometimes SPs get “lucky” and have both a supportive bio-mom and spouse/DH and sometimes they may just have a supportive spouse. The term supportive in this case means that your role as DH’s wife and step-mom is accepted AND enforced. However, some SMs have pretty much zero support from anyone, including their own husbands. This is the bucket you seem to be falling into. Your DH doesn’t support you in your role with his children, so his children don’t support you either. If the kids were younger, you’d need to focus on turning your DH around, so he can turn his kids around. But, since the SKs are now adults and your DH has allowed this for quite some time, if you want to stay married to your DH, options are fewer. I’d still recommend trying to find a different counselor. Some are starting to see that SM does have a side now and a side that needs to be respected by all, starting with DH. Once DH sees this, then he needs to pass this “SM needs to be respected” along to his kids (and it needs to come from him!). BM you have less control over, but it seems she is not an issue here. However, in your case, I could make an argument that your husband LET his daughter or daughters take on the anti-SM role that some BMs take from time to time. I’m going to give you a couple of words to look up and you can see if they apply to your situation and go from there. One is the term Mini-wife. The other term is Disengagement. Since your DH won’t change, it seems, and your SKs are adults now, your only option if you want to stay married but not have to put up with being treated like sloppy seconds or thirds may be disengagement. There are other step-parenting websites out there. You can either vent or get opinions there too. Look around, do research, decide what YOU want to do. Keep in mind, you will probably never have the stereotypical happy blended family, but personally I don’t think most do. I think most maybe have the OK blended family. But, sometimes given the dynamics, even OK may be out of reach, and it is a question of letting the initial family do what they may, to a point, and trying to disengage or ignore their clouded, seemingly backwards judgement and actions the best you can. Instead, focus on your own family’s wants and needs. Best of luck to you...See More- 25 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
Related Stories

MUDROOMSThe Cure for Houzz Envy: Mudroom Touches Anyone Can Do
Make a utilitarian mudroom snazzier and better organized with these cheap and easy ideas
Full Story
HOME OFFICESThe Cure for Houzz Envy: Home Office Touches Anyone Can Do
Borrow these modest design moves to make your workspace more inviting, organized and personal
Full Story
BEDROOMSThe Cure for Houzz Envy: Master Bedroom Touches Anyone Can Do
Make your bedroom a serene dream with easy moves that won’t give your bank account nightmares
Full Story
LAUNDRY ROOMSThe Cure for Houzz Envy: Laundry Room Touches Anyone Can Do
Make fluffing and folding more enjoyable by borrowing these ideas from beautifully designed laundry rooms
Full Story
COMMUNITYCommunity Building Just About Anyone Can Do
Strengthen neighborhoods and pride of place by setting up more public spaces — even small, temporary ones can make a big difference
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESThe Cure for Houzz Envy: Guest Room Touches Anyone Can Do
Make overnight guests feel comfy and cozy with small, inexpensive niceties
Full Story
BUDGET DECORATINGThe Cure for Houzz Envy: Living Room Touches Anyone Can Do
Spiff up your living room with very little effort or expense, using ideas borrowed from covetable ones
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESThe Cure for Houzz Envy: Dining Room Touches Anyone Can Do
Get a decorator-style dining room on the cheap with inexpensive artwork, secondhand furniture and thoughtful accessories
Full Story
GARDENING AND LANDSCAPINGBocce, Anyone? Toss Some Popular Games Into Your Yard Plans
Score points for entertaining with a yard set up for lawn bowling, croquet, chess and more
Full Story
CLOSETSThe Cure for Houzz Envy: Closet Touches Anyone Can Do
These easy and inexpensive moves for more space and better organization are right in fashion
Full StorySponsored
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
vikkijo