SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
netla

Favourite audio book narrators and thoughts on audio books

netla
10 years ago

Do you have any favourite voice actors or audio book narrators?

I like to listen to audio books while I do crafts and household tasks and have listened to a number of them lately.

There is such a difference a reader can make to the presentation and enjoyment of audio books.

For example, I got hold of an audio book of Georgette Heyer's These Old Shades, read by actor Cornelius Garrett. When he performs the actual narration he is great, and his interpretation of Leonie (the heroine) is passable, but he renders Rupert and Fanny (the hero's siblings and important supporting characters) as over-the-top slapstick characters and the voice of Fanny is especially coarse and grating, not at all like the high-bred lady she is. But it was his performance of the hero, Justin, that really grated. In the book it is remarked on several times that he has a smooth voice and often speaks without apparent emotion or with a sneer, but Farrett gives him a grating, quivering voice that makes him sound about 90 years old (and frail), whereas the voice I imagined for him is something similar to Alan Rickman at his most unctuous. Overall it was listenable but not outstanding.

I also listened to Naked in Death by J.D. Robb, read by Susan Ericksen, who gets most of the voices just right, even when she doesn't manage to get southern USA accents quite right and renders all more exotic accents in pretty much the same way as vaguely middle-European.

Rob Inglis's reading of The Lord of the Rings is very good, except for the singing parts, which all seem to be rendered under the same tune, but because I listened to Martin Shaw's reading of The Hobbit before Inglis's, I prefer Shaw's reading of that book.

Jenny Agutter does a very good job of Pride and Prejudice and Ian Carmichael gives an excellent reading of the Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries. I couldn't complain about either.

All in all, however, I tend to prefer female readers because I feel they generally tend to be better at rendering male voices than male readers are at rendering female voices. I also prefer for books with British characters to be read by someone with an appropriate British accent, and for books with American characters to be read by Americans. I tried to listen to a free audio book of Sherlock Holmes stories I found through Project Gutenberg, and gave up because I found the reader's American accent didn't fit the characters and background of the stories (I expect I would prefer an American to read the American part of A Study in Scarlet and The Valley of Fear, however).

How about you? Do you like to listen to audio books, and do you have any preferred or favourite narrators?

Comments (13)