SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
froniga

What Fools These Mortals Be...

froniga
16 years ago

...and other literary quotes that have enriched the English language.

I recently learned that when Churchill referred to the "gathering storm," he was borrowing from H.G. Wells War of the Worlds. If you refer to someone as a "Jekyll and Hyde" your meaning is immediately grasped. In the song Moon River, "my Huckleberry friend" makes perfect sense. The language teems with these phrases, many of which we are probably consciously unaware.

Of course, Shakespeare and the Bible head the list of sources. Which causes me to wonder Since there are so many Biblical references in the English-speaking world, both in literature and art, are there opinions out there on the recent issue of the Bible being taught as literature in public schools?

Students would certainly benefit from being knowledgeable on this source. But it could, I suppose, open a "PandoraÂs box." In Biblical terms, it might either loose the "serpent in the garden" or lead readers to a literary "land of milk and honey."

I have heard that many people failed to grasp Martin Luther KingÂs meaning when he said, "I have been to the mountaintop and seen the Promised Land." This is unfortunate. Not only was he commenting on what was happening, but predicting what would shortly occur.

Still, itÂs a controversial issue and there are probably many strong opinions gravitating around it. On the other hand, there are surely those who would simply respond, "Frankly, my dearÂ"

Comments (7)