SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
siobhan_1

Memory is a strange thing!

J C
13 years ago

Memory is a strange thing. Why do we remember, how do we remember, why canÂt we rememberÂit is an amazing, really.

For years I have been trying to remember the name of a book I read as a child. It involved a little girl named Marin who had a toy owl, it was Swedish (I think  I only remembered a vague Scandinavian-type feel) and it had elements that I would now describe as magical realism. I could remember nothing of the plot, only something about a model ship (a frigate) hanging from a ceiling, a boat crossing. Just like bits of a dream, but nothing solid. I have tried to locate this book using the internet. There have been several excellent sites over the years, including RP, that are very useful in finding books on even less information. But I never was successful.

Just a little while ago I woke up. It was 3 AM. I turned on the light and reached for my book, The Girl Who Kicked The HornetÂs Nest, Stieg LarssonÂs third and last bestseller. I have read and enjoyed the first two. I was reading and my eyes hit the word "ore." Into my head popped the words, MarenÂs Little Owl. From there it was a matter of turning on the computer, a few clicks, and the book is on its way to me.

This raises two questions in my mind. One, the title is very simple and obvious. I had spelled Maren wrong but still I am surprised that my previous searches had not found anything. Two, apparently this book was made into a film at least fifty years ago, and the child star of that film went on to become famous, so I am surprised that someone somewhere hadnÂt heard of it. I remembered the name and I remembered the owl, but I couldnÂt place the two together into the simple title.

Actually, I guess I have three questions, the third being, why did the title just appear so suddenly in my mind upon seeing the Swedish word for currency? I have seen it before now, many times. This was a strange experience for me, so sudden and so clearly did the title appear in my mind that I felt I could touch it. I just turned 51 yesterday, did that have something to do with it? Maybe the universe has given me back some brain cells!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES