SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
river101

Where do you get your books?

river101
17 years ago

I rarely buy books new--so it truly astounds me when I pop into B&N and see the prices. I know though that most price hikes on consumer goods are partly due to the gas rates. I'm curious how many of you buy new books? If there is a book I really want (a keeper) and I'm unable to find it anywhere but B&N, then I will buy it there. Mostly though, I frequent my public library at least once a week, scout local bookshops, go to book sales/garage sales, or shop on eBay. Where do you get your books?

Comments (32)

• carolyn_ky
    17 years ago

I belong to Literary Guild and Mystery Guild book clubs. The books are a cheaper printing, but they cost half price and with LG I have a special deal with no shipping charges. I also use Amazon and abe.com when I want to buy, but mostly I read library books. Occasionally I will buy from Borders or B&N.

• ccrdmrbks
    17 years ago

there are a few authors that I will buy new and in hardback-P.D. James, Elizabeth Peters...and some for which I will pay "new" prices for used-Thirkell, Gladys Mitchell...but mostly it is the library, paperbackswap, and used bookstores.

• Related Discussions

Where do you get your Heidi seeds?

Q

Comments (2)
    Hilde, What was aritten in my book about availability commercially was correct at the time of publication but several of those not available then ( only 7/100 were not commercially sold but were available to SSE members) are available now. The best place to look is Sandhill Preservation b/c Glenn asked for seeds of all in my book that he didn't currently have and almost has all of them now available. And he lists Heidi. And he lists many others that I send to him as well as Linda at TGS for trial and hopefully to be offered. Please note that you cannot order from Sandhill at all times of the year. But you'll find no better seed prices anywhere and his reputation for seed purity is up near the top and the number of seeds/pack is way over the minimum and he lists over 400 varieties. Many here know Glenn and Sandhill very well. Carolyn
    ...See More

Pauline, did you get your book yet?

Q

Comments (4)
    It's here Terri and it's awesome! What's so funny is that I wrote how you put your heart & soul into my package and the name of the cookbook is "Cooking with Heart & Soul" - Isaac Hayes. Who would have thunked? Anyway, the book is perfect. I've started to peruse and have found some great recipes to try out. Thank you!
    ...See More

Where do you get your fabrics and supplies?

Q

Comments (21)
    I use quilt shops because the fabric choices are so much more broad and appropriate to quilting. Where else would you get reproduction fabrics to get the mood as well as the patterns and colors you're looking for? I also use JoAnn's sometimes. Sometimes they've just got what I want, but, generally speaking, I don't think the quality of their fabrics is what quilt shops carry. I have a quilt shop just a couple miles from my house. I quilted long before we moved so close but that was a lucky accident. There are also a number of quilt shops within a 20 mile radius of my house. They're not all the same size and vibrancy. The best one is the farthest away. Two of them either have sewing machine sales & repair in them or are next to it.
    ...See More

Where do you get your inspiration?

Q

Comments (19)
    I think that my biggest inspiration for my garden was a neighbor growing up. She had beautiful mixed borders with perennials, flowering trees, and shrubs. However, I was terrified of her since she didn't like kids and would yell at me for even stopping on the sidewalk to look, so I looked from a distance or as we drove by or walking slowly as a came home from school. I also have a friend that I met when I was 10 whose parents also had mixed borders with roses and crabapples and grapes and perennials. I loved their gardens as well. My grandfather, who we visited in the summer, had a rural garden of old-fashioned cottage garden plants - Hydrangeas, poppies, peonies, iris, sweet peas, violas, asparagus, quince, roses, and an apple tree. There were many more, but those are what remain in my memory, and a few remain in my garden from divisions taken after they had both died and the house was up for sale. My folks took us to the Holden Arboretum regularly and we often detoured through a cemetery with beautiful plantings, so much of what I saw trained my eye, even though I grew up in a house of non-gardeners. Now I get a lot of my inspiration from gardens I visit (I love the Open Days sponsored by the Garden Conservancy and other open garden fundraisers), on line from blogs and here on GW, and from eye candy books from the library.
    ...See More
  • biwako_of_abi
    17 years ago

Almost entirely from the local library and PaperBackSwap.com, with occasional visits to Amazon.com, BarnesandNoble.com, and the Used Book page of AddAll.com.

• venusia_
    17 years ago

I usually get them all from the library.

Every few months, as a treat, I will buy a fabulous new cookbook from Amazon and I will read all the text and salivate over the pictures and try perhaps one or 2 recipes.

I sometimes get hardback remainders from bookcloseouts.com, a Canadian company. There is a little mark underneath the book, but for 10$ instead of 35$, I don't really care.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    17 years ago

I buy most books used from Amazon sellers. I do like Paperbackswap but they rarely have the books I want. My wish list is huge. I don't go into bookstores very often because I know I won't buy anything...I have sticker shock too!

• twobigdogs
    17 years ago

Strange as this seems, books seem to be creeping into my house without me having purchased them. They just show up. Friends and family see me as a "home for orphaned books" and I usually hang onto them! That being said, I do go to Border's and run up quite a bill, have weak moments at online bookstores, and have been known to frequent used book stores, books-a-million and Atlantic Books never leaving without a bag.

And I just got back from my THIRD trip to the library this week, and it's only Wednesday.

PAM

• cjoseph
    17 years ago

I haven't bought any books for several months because I'm working on cutting down my TBR collection. But when I am looking for a particular book that I'm interested in I check Amazon first, or if it's out-of-print ABEbooks. I never go to a physical bookstore to find a book since it's unlikely they'll have it, and I don't care for browsing. Amazon usually has a substantial discount on new hardbacks.

• frances_md
    17 years ago

Most of my books come from Amazon or Borders. I spend very little money on anything other than books, music, and plants so I rationalize buying new books that way. At one time I was a big library user but there is something in me that just can't appreciate as much a book that is not clean and in really good condition. My family used to say that I was too fastidious and I guess that especially applies to books. (It certainly doesn't apply to housekeeping!)

• vtchewbecca
    17 years ago

Frances, I'm also a buyer who spends little beyond books and plants. I figure books are one of life's little pleasures for me, and I figure we're all allowed to have one weakness. I grew up in a house full of books, as my parents are both great readers. My parents are not big spenders, but did allow themselves the pleasures of spending on books. I get most of mine from Amazon (or sellers on Amazon), Books-a-Million, and the Green Valley bookfair (if you're in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia when its going on, you ought to stop by).

I never could bring myself to borrow library books - I hate deadlines (mind you, I am the opposite of a procrastinator, so I would feel obligated to read the book as soon as I brought it home). I like to keep books on hand to read when I'm in the mood for them. I also hate to think of where the book might have been before I borrowed it.

• lemonhead101
    17 years ago

I get mine from a mix of places: the library, amazon.com (secondhand ones), B&N (if I have a gift certificate or some money just burning a hole in my pocket) or abe.com.

I really enjoy getting books in the mail though, so secondhand on amazon is the best.

• rambo
    17 years ago

I am always looking out at garage sales and rummage sales for used books, but I do buy a lot of my books new. I loved borrowing from my roomates, we'd always swap books.

I usually hold off buying much whenever I'm at Chapters, but then a couple times a year I'll just splurge and drop a ton of money on new books. I also like to buy on Amazon.ca, especially since it can be a lot cheaper than Chapters.

• frances_md
    17 years ago

vtchewbecca, please tell me about the Green Valley bookfair. I see it advertised in The Washington Post Book World every week (250,000 books!) and always think it sounds too good to be true. I could drive there in a couple of hours. What types of books do they have?

I'm in total agreement with you on everything you said. I forgot about the deadlines associated with the library. As soon as a deadline is placed on me (except with work) I start to resent it, even if it is a deadline I have no problem meeting.

I have a friend who "rescues" antique cars. Whenever I think about the money I spend on my weaknesses, I just think of the other weaknesses I could have that are so much more expensive.

• veronicae
    17 years ago

I love to buy books! Amazon, borders, Barnes and Noble, book stores on vacation. I do use half.com, etc. Which contradicts what I am about to say...I stopped being a big library user (big family night out was to go to the library...we would bring the books home in a box!) but I began to get tired of books that smelled of cigar and cigarette smoke, that had pages missing, etc. I have had no trouble at all with any of the used books sites. Whoops, not, one book had something nasty on the cover...threw it out, emailed seller...got my money back.

My kids and I also swap books among five households!

• venusia_
    17 years ago

I don't know if it's this thread's influence but I just placed an order for 4 books on bookcloseouts! 2 books on Pompeii, Cookwise by Shirley Corriher (only 15$) and a style guide by Jacques Barzun.

As I previously said, I am a big library user but I too dislike dirty dusty books. I tend to borrow new books almost exclusively, or I will check out books on the shelves that still look clean and new, but generally not more than 1 or 2 years old. I can check out acquisitions online, and I often reserve them while they are still on order so that I am first to read them.

• rosefolly
    17 years ago

I buy new books online and from stores, used books also online and from stores, and patronize my local library heavily. I buy a lot of books, but read many more than I purchase.

Rosefolly

• phoebecaulfield
    17 years ago

I hardly ever buy a book, and that's been true for the last 25 years. Most books that I "read" are on tape through the Talking Books program. They're on loan through the National Library Service. Just now I have about a dozen of them on hand.

I did buy one book recently, but it was at a deep discount via the Internet. I broke down and bought it because a friend of mine was the author.

• agnespuffin
    17 years ago

I am very fortunate in that my church runs a good sized Thrift Shop and there seems to be a lot of readers in the congregation with the same tastes as mine. They sell paper backs for 50 cents. It would be hard to do better than that. I usually get a bunch, read them and turn them back in.

Our local Humane Shelter also has a Shop. It charges $4.00 for a paperback, but it's a buy-one get one free deal. I have no idea why they don't just reduce the price to $2.00. Maybe it just clears out tons of books faster.

• vtchewbecca
    17 years ago

Frances, here's a link to the GVBF, and yes, its true - 250,000 some odd books. Hardbacks for $5 or less.

They have a HUGE children's books section (that I like to visit for my classroom) - everything from picture books to chapter books to science/history,etc. They also have a HUGE cookbook & gardening book section. That's together on one side of the building. The other side holds a decent sized travel book section, a local interest section, a big general fiction section (classics and new), and a good sized mystery collection. The sci-fi/fantasy section dwindled to almost nothing, but made a comeback at the last fair. Downstairs in that building is mostly non-fiction: history (big section), science and nature (definitely good selection), computer books, bibles, etc. They also have a decent collection of comic books downstairs.

The GVBF definitely makes my TBR pile expand. Those of us that live in the valley come almost to every fair. I know people who travel to come to the fair...for a book person, I say its worth checking out. Its always crowded the first day, but its very pleasant the rest of the days (I don't like huge crowds).

• woodnymph2_gw
    17 years ago

My budget no longer allows me to purchase books new, unless someone kindly gives me a gift certificate (then it would be off to B & N). I haunt used book stores, thrift shops, and library book sales. I have found some wonderful serendipitous reading in almost mint condition at the various library booksales in our area. (I have library cards for 5 different city libraries!) Also, 3 libraries here have "shops" inside that are run by "Friends of the Library" which sell used books, CD's, and even framed art.
    One bonus: there are a lot of military families in our area, who relocate every 2 years. Often they have bought the latest books, read them, then don't wish to pack them up when they move, so dump them at the local library. I'm the lucky benefactor of their taste....

• frances_md
    17 years ago

vtchewbecca, thanks so much for the info and the web site. I never even thought to do a search for it. What kind of computer person am I? Anyway, I'm glad the next one isn't until July. Maybe by then I can exercise some self control because right now I'm just itching to get in the car and start driving there and buy a ton of books I don't have space for or enough hours to read!

• sheriz6
    17 years ago

Library, Amazon (new and used), Alibris for particular OOPs, eBay occasionally, and our local library book sales (which are made up of donated books and very few library discards, though I'm happy with either). I used to tag sale a lot, and bought books there, but I just don't have time anymore. I also swap books with three other family members, and our local grocery store has a used book table to benefit a local charity, so I'll sometimes buy there (under $1), too. And I wonder why the TBR pile takes up two bookcases ...

• martin_z
    17 years ago

In order of frequency - probably charity shops, eBay, ABE, bookshops, Amazon.

I haunt charity shops looking for bargains; either books I've been meaning to read or first editions. eBay is my first place of search for my collectible books, with ABE just behind it. If a new book has just come out which I MUST have, then I'll go to Waterstones, Books etc or Ottakars - always being careful to ensure I get a true first edition and it's in pristine condition. Signed copies often come from these bookshops too.

And Amazon when I want a book and I can't find it anywhere else.

• J C
    17 years ago

The library, used book shop (Book Oasis in Stoneham, Mass., I love that store), books sales, and yes, Amazon for both new and used. When I order from Amazon, I make sure my order is over $25 so I get free shipping. This usually means waiting until I have 2 or 3 items I can't live without. Once in a while I see a book somewhere that I just have to buy - I recently bought a book at Wild Oats (a grocery) after admiring it for a couple of weeks. Books are a major expensive for me, but it one of the few things I spend money on that I feel really gives me value.

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    17 years ago

The local B&N, Amazon (US and UK - I discovered that some books unavailable here are available for same day shipping in from the UK.) and downloading audiobooks from the library system. Although I seem to be giving away more books than I'm buying these days, I still need three new bookcases.

• dynomutt
    17 years ago

Hmmmm......... I tend to buy a lot of books from garage sales and rummage sales. In Ottawa there's a once a year event called the Great Glebe Garage Sale when a whole neighborhood in the middle of the city throws a MASSIVE garage sale. Something like 5 (if not more!) city blocks of just garage sales. This year I picked up an incomplete set of something called "The Greatest Works of Literature" plus an incomplete set of a series called Great Ideas plus a massive dictionary, a total of about 20 hard bound books for Cdn$25. (The 3 foot tall plush toy of Wile Coyote for $4 was from a different seller)

There's also some nice used bookstores in the Ottawa area but they can't beat a good garage sale.

For paperbacks, there's a flea market out in Carp every Sunday that has a pretty good selection of half-decent paperbacks. There's also a neat used bookstore here that also has some cheaper new books. They used to have dirt cheap prices until they cleaned up the place and started charging more. They even have some out of print books that I haven't been able to find anywhere else.

I do sometimes go to Chapters to splurge as well. I used to do that quite a bit in the past until I realized that, not only was I paying premium prices, but that some of the books weren't that good! I figure that if I buy a book at a garage sale, it's ok if it's not very good. At least it's cheap.

I sometimes shop at Amazon.com or Amazon.ca if I need a book that's out of print or if I need a book that's a specialty book. Oh, and if you're Canadian and you need an American book, sometimes it's a lot cheaper to buy it from Amazon.com than Amazon.ca. I needed a late edition book for work and it was being sold on Amazon.ca for Cdn$400. I found it on Amazon.com for US$100.

And yes. I need more bookcases.

• Kath
    17 years ago

I used to use the library a lot, but since I went back to work I buy lots of books there *g* Staff get a 25% discount which is pretty good.
    I have bought books from Powells (James Bond books for my son which were unavailable new), eBay and Amazon.
    I also used to buy a lot of books from the big discount department stores, which give 30% off - a good deal but of course they have a limited range and there is never any help available.

I avoid spending money at Borders though. They have come into the Aussie marketplace and undercut shops like the one I work in, but are able to absorb large losses through their American headquarters.

• housekeeping
    17 years ago

Most of ours came the old-fashioned way: my husband and I, both constant readers, come from bookreading families, so we inherited many of ours from parents who had, in turn, inherited many of their books from grandparents and great grandparents. And each of these ancestral bookworms also had the buy and keep virus. We are childless, however, so I'm not sure what happens, next.

Molly~

• pam53
    17 years ago

I am another who loves to buy new books and I also don't spend money on much else. I do use paperback swap but find they rarely have books I want. I am too impatient for the library and really do have to admit I like new books best-amazon and Borders are my shopping spots. I will frequently pass my books on-I used to keep them all until my forced purge a year and a half ago.....now I am somewhat selective about what I keep.

• netla
    17 years ago

I get reading copies mostly from a local charity shop, at the flea market and occasionally from second-hand bookshops or through EBay auctions. I also participate in book swaps through TitleTrader. I have a few authors whose books I buy new in hardcover, usually from Amazon UK or Play.com.

When people give me books, it's usually really expensive ones, like dictionaries and reference books that only get given as graduation presents or on big birthdays, meaning they are few and far between. It seems I am both too young and too old to be given novels for my birthdays and at Christmas.

• georgia_peach
    17 years ago

I buy most of my books now and am usually only interested in a reading copy (usu paperbacks vs hard copy). When I was younger, I was at the mercy of whatever was available via the library system and didn't read as much as a result. I'd like to use the library more, but where I live it is not convenient for me yet and it is small and the selection is limited, so I find if it is a book I really want to read, I usually have to go out and buy it anyway. I'm also notoriously hard on books. I'm afraid to borrow a book and return it in worse condition than it started out in. I find that 75 percent of the time, I usually have to buy from Amazon because I can't find what I want to read anywhere else. I sometimes buy at my local B&N or at the B. Dalton's in the office park where I work (usually just trade paperbacks there). B. Dalton's is a little more expensive, but I like to contribute to their prosperity. They are located in my office park and it would make for a very sad and dull lunch hour if I didn't have a book store to browse in during my lunch hour.

Amazon will sometimes surprise me with the books they have in their bargain section. I've found a few good hardbacks of books on my wish list that way. If I have a large order of books so I can get the super saver shipping with Amazon, I will also tack on a few used books I've slowly but surely been trying to track down that are out of print or hard to come by. Lastly, I sometimes read etext on the internet. I have a short attn span for reading at the computer, but it is amazing what you can find out there now.

• april_bloom
    17 years ago

half.com has some great prices for books. I have bought used and brand new using that site.

Used bookstores are great. I used to go to McKay's Used Books all the time when I lived in Knoxville. It (the store) keeps getting bigger and bigger. My daughter goes to school there and she found a book she needed for a lit class for 25 cents.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

From the time I was a kid whose parents couldn't afford many books, through my college years, I became adept at discovering books in all sorts of places: yard and library sales, thrift stores, dusty used bookstores in downtown Phx. And of course, the library was my second home.

Now tho, I have finally stopped feeling guilty about buying new. When I do, its at our local indie (Changing Hands), or via Amazon. But I still go for used as much as possible. We have a huge used store here called Bookmans which is a weekly trip for me during the summer. We also have several other smaller used where you can find gems

I rarely go to the library anymore. Our community is cutting back, and its one of the things they have cut, again and again. Its no longer open on Sundays, they run on a skeleton staff, and they do not keep up with new purchase unless its like DaVinci Code. Really sad. Thats where I learned to read.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!