SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wisdom48

What magazines do you subscribe to or read regularly

veronicae
14 years ago

The cook book thread made me think of this, as two of the sources I listed there are actually magazines.

Cook's Illustrated

Fine Cooking

Fine Gardening

Love of Quilting

Down East

Writer

This Old House

Fine Homebuilding

I have culled down to this list as the ones I actually open and read, and gain information from.

I had to ditch Sports Illustrated after both the columnists I read moved on to other fields (and one I can read on the internet) and it became thinner and thinner and all I was reading were the letters to the editor.

Comments (41)

• leel
    14 years ago

US News & world Report; Smithsonian; Natural History; Scientific American; Consumers Report; Atlantic Monthly

• desta
    14 years ago

The New Yorker
    Time
    Newsweek
    Atlantic Weekly
    Harper's
    Entertainment Weekly

• Related Discussions

What gardening magazines do you read?

Q

Comments (5)
    Boy, can I relate to never wanting to throw the magazines away! I was turning into one of those folks that just has paths through their houses due to all the junk stacked up! LMAO...I can relate. Funny story here...I got a thing in the mail where a friend's grandson was selling mags as a school fund raiser. I wanted to order 'something' but didn't want to have to deal with the mags, and the clutter, and all that is involved in trying to get them outta here once they were read and enjoyed and aged. I ended up getting Readers Digest for DBF at his house. That way we can both enjoy it, and he can get them gone without me having the 'letting go' problem. Sue...a packrat
    ...See More

Magazines to which you didn't subscribe ???

Q

Comments (20)
    Several years ago I decided to stop getting Readers Digest. They sent me many, many "last issues" (maybe a years worth) I read the magazines, but ignored the last chance warning. Then they tried to bill me. Constantly. Borderline harrassment. I really got ugly with someone on the phone and it quit. When my sister and her DH bought a house it had dual zoning. Because it had an expiration to the business side of the zoning, he recorded a business name he someday hopes to open. They get loads of free magazines they never asked for. It comes addressed to their "business"...which does not yet exist.
    ...See More

Do you read/subscribe to 'Somerset Studio'?

Q

Comments (5)
    I subscribe to it and it is one of my favorite magazines, especially now with the new format and the getting away from all the earthy colors. I ordered all the back issues I could off their web site and checked at Ebay but the sold out issues were going for too much money. I have used the ideas for inspiration and like to do their challenges for my own amusement. I submitted something once and they kept it for months saying they would use it, then they returned it without publishing it. Maybe next time!
    ...See More

What magazines do you like to read?

Q

Comments (34)
    I don't buy magazines anymore - they are way too expensive for my budget. I used to love Martha Stewart for baking and crafts when there were more articles than ads. I love cooking magazines especially Fine Cooking and the new Food Network magazine. My sister buys all the cooking and decorating magazines so when I go to visit her that is what we do - sit and look through magazines. That is her luxury and she buys them all. LOL My niece gave me a subscription to Chatelaine magazine but I don't care for that one so I usually just pass it along to someone else. I do like Hello Canada and Rayalty but my SIL gives me them after she has read them. At Christmas I may buy a holiday baking magazine for cookies but now I am realizing there isn't much new with cookie recipes these days. They just rehash the old recipes LOL I did used to buy the Collectors magazine but I don't even know if it is around anymore. My Sister always brings me home a Southern Living when she comes home from St. Louis but it is also for sale on our newstands. I like the recipes. I only get the Windsor Star if my sister goes away and has her paper rerouted to me which happens often. The news is old having been on the local television news the night before so it is no great loss if I don't get the paper. If I want really want to look at a particular issue of a magazine I can go to the library and read it. Anne
    ...See More
  • sheriz6
    14 years ago

Far, far too many.

Mental Floss
    Discover
    Archaeology
    Country Living
    Real Simple
    Oprah
    Bookmarks
    Martha Stewart Living
    Astronomy
    Sky & Telescope

The last two belong to DH, but I do read them fairly regularly.

• woodnymph2_gw
    14 years ago

Real Simple
    Victoria
    National Geographic
    Smithsonian
    Yankee
    U.S. News & World Report
    Martha Stewart Living
    Dance Magazine

• ajpa
    14 years ago

I don't say I read them regularly, but here's the ones that make it to our house that I do read sometimes:
    Popular Science
    eWeek (a computer weekly)
    Computerworld
    CR's On Health
    Gardening how-to

We used to get The Week, which I found amusing.

• veer
    14 years ago

I wonder if subscribing to magazines is more of a US 'thing' than UK? I have friends who buy various women's/fashion mags but the 'quality' shiny covered ones are now SO expensive that many people wait until they visit the dentist/doctor to read them.
    The DH has a couple of monthly computer mags and the 'Kitchen Garden'. I receive the 'Canadian Geographic' from a friend in Toronto and 'the Oldie' . . . similar to the late-lamented 'Punch'.

Just out of interest may I ask you how much you spend on magazines each week/month?

• lemonhead101
    14 years ago

I only get Cooking Light in the hope (feeble though it may be) that I might actually get inspired to get into the kitchen to do something apart from peck at the biscuits.

Plus it was a special subscription of $10 for the year which I couldn't resist. However, I haven't actually read one of the mags all the way through but I do have a nice little pile should I get so inspired.

The other mag is People which I don't subscribe to but do read every Sunday morning at B&N.....

• woodnymph2_gw
    14 years ago

Vee,I am given most of the magazines I named -- we friends here pass them around and share a lot.

• carolyn_ky
    14 years ago

Southern Living
    Better Homes & Gardens
    Traditional Home
    House Beautiful
    Woman's Day

The one I really like is Southern Living. I've never made a dish from one of its recipes that wasn't good, plus I enjoy the travel and restaurant tips. The others are from a middle-school great-nephew whose class gets something for their sales. Woman's Day was a gift from my sister who got an offer for a gift subscription for $6 if she renewed hers. I think the magazines must be hurting from the recession. I get lots of special offers in the mail.

• rosefolly
    14 years ago

Cooks Illustrated
    Threads
    American Bungalow
    Fine Homebuilding
    Rosa Mundi

And the usual gossip magazines when putting in time in a waiting room, if I don't happen to have a book with me.

Rosefolly

• hinchess
    14 years ago

Our library has many many titles available. We can check out any but the current issue. I find this is the best way for me to really enjoy, since I just "flip through" most of them. I like Real Simple, but usually don't remember the great little ideas. I love Cook's Illustrated. I too had a brief (free) subscription to The Week and liked it. I don't like to subscribe to mags though, because then I need to find homes for them when I'm through--can't bear to trash them. Does anyone remember years ago when Redbook had great short stories?

• ccrdmrbks
    14 years ago

I pay for subscriptions to:
    Martha Stewart Living
    Real Simple
    Victoria
    People (weekly-for our daughter)
    Sports Illustrated (weekly-for our son)
    we get yearly subscriptions-probably runs about $150 or so for the year for all of them

receive as a gift:
    Susquehanna Style (a regional magazine)

• annpan
    14 years ago

I only buy the Australian edition of Reader's Digest for which I pay $Aust30.00 annually. This is a special introduction rate but I haggle for it every year "otherwise I shall cancel!"
    My DIL gives me copies of women's magazines and I get TV listings from the local free paper.
    Yes, Vee, magazines are expensive and the Australian readership has fallen dramatically in the last 10 years according to a recent TV current affairs program. Too much made-up celebrity gossip perhaps! The information content that would interest me is almost nil sometimes.

• desta
    14 years ago

hinchess, I am really jealous about your library. Ours subscribes to a great many mags, but a couple of years ago decided to suspend circulation of magazines. I used to happily come home with all sorts of interesting things, familiar and unfamiliar, including literary, art, woodworking, cooking, psychology -- whatever struck my fancy. I was very, very sad when this was changed. Now I have to go in there to photocopy things --- although an amazing number of articles are now available in full on magazine web sites.

I have always gotten lots of mags, in the past including Smithsonian, Nat Geo, Threads, Fiber Arts, Quilter's Digest, Mother Jones, US New & World, Sunset, The Sun, Rolling Stone, Wired, and others, but have pared down because I realized they were just stacking up without being read or used. The New Yorker is challenging because it's a weekly, but I don't want to give it up. I just have to be sure to scan when it first comes and see what I want to read and not just set it aside.

New Yorker is $40 a year currently. A few years ago I put off renewing and finally they sent me an offer for $20 a year and I renewed for three years. Entertainment Weekly I still get because they offered me one of those $10 for the year deals. I get pretty good offers from Time and Newsweek as well. The last two times I renewed Time I was able to get a sub for may daughter for free.

One magazine I stopped was The Sun. It was $36 a year. I really miss it and am planning to resubscribe. Actually, if I had a lot of money I would still get a lot of them, especially the fiber arts and sewing mags, just because I love them. I always miss National Geographic when I don't get it and may do that one again as well as they have a good offer.

• socks
    14 years ago

The Week

Organic Gardening

• maxmom96
    14 years ago

None. Over the years I have subscribed to a few, but then I would go through my "cheap" period and let them all run out, only to renew a few, then let them lapse again. I found I didn't miss them at all.

A friend then gave me gift subscription to Better Home & Gardens and I can't wait till that runs out. I just flip through it and take it to the Friends of the Library Shop. She also sent me Vanity Fair. I liked some of the articles and got a chuckle looking at the undernourished waifs in the ads for the expensive apparel, but then began to feel really sorry for the mailmen who had to tote this heavy, heavy magazine around, so I didn't renew it.

If I have the need for a magazine I get it from the FOL shop, which seems to have all I could wish for.

• lemonhead101
    14 years ago

CC - it's ok to admit that you get People for yourself, you know.... You are not the only one to get sucked into the antics of Lindsey Lohan and Samantha Ronson etc....

You are among friends....

(joke)-

• sheriz6
    14 years ago

Rosefolly, I love American Bungalow! I used to buy it at the bookstore, but it's very hard to live in a mid-century New England Colonial (which I like just fine) while still lusting for a turn of the century Craftsman Bungalow (which is my dream house), so I had to stop *g*.

Vee, my subscriptions range from $12 per year to $24 per year (some six, some twelve issues), with the DH's astronomy magazine running in the $40 range. We increased our magazine purchases to support our DS's school fund raising, but one more year and I'll pare the number back.

• donnamira
    14 years ago

Southern Living
    Cook's Country
    Bird Watchers Digest
    Readers Digest (LOVE the vocabulary quiz!)
    Science News (I'm a dinosaur, and prefer the old weekly format)
    Space News
    EOS (AGU's newsletter)
    Health After 50

I occasionally pick up DH's Consumer Reports, but don't bother with his TV, Home Theater and cars magazines.

• rosefolly
    14 years ago

SheriZ6, I still read American Bungalow from time to time, but I let my subscription lapse. We remodeled the house we live in extensively and really like it now. No, it is not a true Craftsman, but it has some lovely Craftsman touches (such as lighting fixtures and built-ins). I decided that reading that magazine was just making me discontented. While I still thought we might have such a house some day, it was useful as an education tool.

This past weekend I went on a house tour in Berkeley including houses by the famous architect Bernard Maybeck and other Arts and Crafts architects. While there was much to admire in several of the houses, I found many of them dark and claustrophobic. It was quite an eye-opener. We actually like our own house better.

Rosefolly

• veer
    14 years ago

Sheri, or anyone, the idea of fund raising by taking out a mag. subscription is not a familiar one over here in the UK. How does it work?

I think that rather than having mags/papers etc sent through the mail most people here buy whatever they want from the local newsagent when they pick up their daily/weekly papers . . . or have then delivered by the long-suffering 'paper boy/girl', or in our case 'family' as we have the local paper round sewn-up between us and the only day off is Christmas Day. ;-)

Libraries in the UK used to have a range of daily papers and mags available but I think high costs have forced them to cut back. They always used to be in an area of the building much frequented by down-and-outs. As long as they appeared to be reading they were allowed to sit by the radiators; not a place into which young females would venture.

• ccrdmrbks
    14 years ago

I just pay for People-it is delivered to her address, in another state (then she does save them up for me and delivers a bag of brain junk food every so often ;-) it's not like I can't get caught up on the celebrity doings in less than an hour. It's like fastforwarding through a B movie sometimes-or a flip book!

Fundraising by selling magazine subscriptions is ubiquitious in the US, I believe. Every year the cherubs come home from school with a packet and an order form. You can order just about any magazine published in this country through a clearinghouse. The school, soccer club, scout troop, team, etc. gets so much per subscription sold. The prices are usually on par or even a little less than a regularly acquired subscription-I believe that the publishers are happy to take a lower rate in exchange for a larger subscriber pool, as that is how they sell their advertising-where they make the real money, such as it is in print media these days.

Sadly, one of my favorite house mags, "Cottage Living", just went under-right after I gifted DD and fiance with a subscription. grrrr.

• hinchess
    14 years ago

Another way of getting magazine subscriptions is by using my airline miles. Every so often, I get a list of several magazines to choose from and I pay for them with unused airline miles. Now that I'm thinking of it, I haven't received that offer for a while. Maybe it has been discontinued?

I remember, when I was a young girl in the '50s, my mom would have magazines full of short stories that I wasn't allowed to read. The magazines had titles like "Modern Romances". There was art work that, in my memory, reminds me of cover art for the romance novels today. Some of them had a detective theme. I don't know if those magazines are still around.

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    14 years ago

CeCe, we have Baltimore Style which appears unsolicited in my mail.

I do a lot of my magazine reading on-line, but what I do bring home:

Archaeology
    Biblical Archaeology
    KMT
    Threads
    Quilting Arts
    Southern Living

I just tossed years of Shape, Vogue Patterns (I was tempted to e-bay the 1970s edition of these. Do you know people actually buy them?) and various gardening mags.

Our library also lets us check out all but the latest copies, but there is always a struggle to get these as soon as they are available. A friend taught me the secret to reading gardening mags in an oddly timely manner. If the latest edition out is June 2009, check out the June 2008 edition. You don't get the current Perennials of the Year, but the basic info is good and timely.

• bookmom41
    14 years ago

Reason
    Smithsonian
    US News & World Report
    Reader's Digest
    Girl's Life
    Boy's Life
    Cosmo Girl
    assorted photography magazines for DH

My children's school does magazine fundraising. I guess the school gets a percentage of sales from the magazine subscriptions sold. We've let lapse recently Cooking Light, Good Housekeeping, National Geographic and NG for Kids (or whatever it was called) US Catholic, and Nick, most of which we ended up ordering through the fundraising. Hmm, that is more magazines that any household needs.

I, for one, have no pride and immediately grab any copy of People magazine when waiting in the doctor/dentist's office.

• smallcoffee
    14 years ago

Does anyone else read "Maryjane's Farm" magazine. Maryjane is a farmer (no surprise there) The magazine espouses a down-to-earth lifestyle no matter where you live with features on gardening cooking and crafts. Along with what are to me eye opening articles, the photography is beautiful. I also subcribe to Bookmarks. I used to get Cottage Living, Country Home, and Victoria, but due to the need to economize, dropped these subscriptions. I pick up a knitting magazine from time to time if it has a pattern I think is manageable. I also love Piecework and pick that up whenever I see a particular topic of interest.

• donnamira
    14 years ago

When I go to my dentist's office, my guilty pleasure magazine is Highlights. :)

• mariannese
    14 years ago

I get The Garden as a benefit of my membership of the Royal Horticultural Society and two Swedish gardening journals as member of a rose society and a general horticultural society. I subscribe to three other gardening magazines, monthly or quarterly, but plan to give them up soon when I retire. I can read them at our local library which is where I indulge in all the "shabby chic" and country living magazines for people who don't live in the country but wish they did.

I don't know if this is a unique Swedish trend for a fairly recently urbanized country? As in "How to convert your new house to a country manor or old farmhouse" to exaggerate a bit.

• rouan
    14 years ago

I see a lot of similar interests in periodicals listed above there!

I currently subscribe to the Herb Quarterly, The Herb Companion and International Figure Skating, all of which I read cover to cover. (three guesses what my interests are, the first two don't count! LOL)

My DH was given a subscription to Smithsonian which I also read. My FIL gave us a subscription to Reader's Digest, but unless he renews it for us, we'll let it lapse. It's not quite the same as it used to be and there are so many advertising extras in it that it's a pain to get around them to get to the articles.

• iamkathy
    14 years ago

Time
    Atlantic Monthly