SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laa_laa_gw

San Francisco Earthquake 100th anniversary

laa_laa
18 years ago

It is now 10 PM. on April 17th, here in California. In 7 hours from now, it will be exactly 100 ears since the San Francisco Earthquake began on April 18th, 1906.

My grandparents lived through it...my mother wasn't born yet. Like so many Californians we have a smattering of stories about the earthquake but not really enough to get a feeling of what it was really like. However, co-incidently, I found a book about a week ago that used the earthquake as a background for the mystery story and I felt closer to the city when I finished it than ever before.

The title is "Locked Doors".The book is written by Laurie R. King. It is written as if by a Mary Russell, who supposedly married Sherlock Holmes in the later part of his career and who accompanied him on some of his mystery solving adventures. I know...Holmes was a character of fiction, and I have to keep reminding myself of this as I read. The author does not write in a way that confuses the traditional Holmes characterization, but instead she develops another new character in Mary who is entirely believable. In addition,the mystery stories are well written and interesting.

The story tells about the Chinese as well as the Russell family and of how the San Franciscans lived in the days after the 'quake.

I hope some of you who are interested in the San Francisco history are able to find this book. It should be available; it was published in 2004.

I have also read another of her books..."The Moor"...and although this book is set in England, there is a short part on the Gold Rush in Alaska as described by one of the characters. This interested me since my grandfather (on the other side of the family) went to Alaska for gold with some of his friends.

Off topic...my daughter lives in San Francisco and when I asked her what the mood was up there, she said at least among the younger set...it is an excuse for parties.

As to the countdown..it is now less than 7 hours ......

Lina.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations