SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lssqueeze

A "What to you wear to bed" Survey

Suzieque
4 years ago

Ok, I'm not asking for TMI - honestly.

DH and I were lightly chatting about our own preferences for "bedwear" (or not). Just looking for opinions here, not asking for you to disclose anything - haha.

The categories are:

For men: pajamas (top and bottom), pajama bottom only, undies (tighty whities or other), nothing at all, or "something else". If desired, define "something else".

For women: top and bottom pajamas, a long gown, a short gown, any undies, nothing at all, or "something else". If desired, define "something else".

He and I each said "I'll bet that most men ...." and "I'll bet that most women ..."

This is just for fun .... not info-gathering!

Comments (85)

• donna_loomis
    4 years ago

Warm weather is undies only. Cold weather is undies and something else. Something else = long sleeve top and socks.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

I love Eileen West's Queen Anne's Lace long sleeved, long 100% cotton broadcloth nightgowns - wear them summer and winter. They are becoming hard to fine.

My late husband always slept in a Brooks Brothers night shirt except in the winter when we lived in Maine, when he wore an LLBean plaid flannel night shirt.

No surprise - you know how "old fashioned" both of us are/were!

• HU-955941711
    4 years ago

DW and I both wear t shirts and boxers. I do miss the 'zilch' days BK (before kids).

• Fun2BHere
    4 years ago

@Anglophilia You can still find Eileen West cotton lawn nightgowns on eBay, often new with tags. That's where I've bought mine for the last few years because that's my preferred brand and fabrication as well. Just be careful because there are lots of EW listings with newer fabrications. Make sure it specifically says "cotton lawn."

• User
    4 years ago

Eileen West is also sold through the Vermont County Store also Nordstroms carried them. Finding pretty gowns/robes is getting to be very difficult.

• peacockbleau
    4 years ago

In winter in a hotel in Branson the fire alarm sounded. Everyone was evacuated to the parking lot where we had to stand for over an hour. Most persons had grabbed some type of wrap and had it on over their nude bodies or their night wear. It was very cold, lots of shivering.

One of the sponsors of our tour group noticed that 4 ladies were missing. He returned to the hotel entrance and was told that he could not reenter. He did not let that stop him. The ladies were all in the same room. Some were a little deaf and could not hear the alarm, and some had put in ear plugs to drown out the snoring and did not hear it.. He had to bang hard and yell loud to finally get one's attention. Everyone cheered when they all came out the the front door. Such a bewildered looking bunch of elderly ladies in only their nighties. The rest of the story is boring.

• schoolhouse_gwagain
    4 years ago

I admit though that sometimes my feet still get cold, even under the heavy comforter.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Queen Anne’s Lace Eileen West nightgowns are very different in quality to their regular line...leaned this the hard way. Looked on eBay - what I want only available in Small. Not on Vermont Country store website either. They’ve basically stopped making the white ones +p- only prints. I have 3 - hope they last! You know me - don’t like change.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

Anglo, I wear the same nightgowns. I love them. The Eileen West website has plenty. I ordered a few just to be safe.

I also wear men's style PJ tops with buttons. And flannel Lanz of Salzburg nightgowns.

In bed, I often sleep in just my undies though.

• maifleur01
    4 years ago

I had to smile at some of those Eileen West nightgowns. Back in the day some would make wonderful summer dresses especially if worn with a wide ethnic belt.

• Cherryfizz
    4 years ago

I grew up always wearing a long flannel goonie (nightgown) I never liked pajamas. In my 30's I switched to short nightgowns or nightshirts and now I wear knee length pj top and bottoms. Walmart gets cute sets in for usually under $20 so every time I go to there I usually buy a nightshirt or pjs. I have a few sets of fleece type pjs but I can only wear them around the house when it is really cold and when I go to bed I change into something cooler.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

Zalco, the only size of the one I wear is an XS. I have emailed the company a few times, asking about this gown - no reply.

Dis a bit more digging tonight and discovered the obituary of the founder. I discovered that they had licensed the brand name to a NY sleepwear manufacturer. At that time, all the sleepwear was then manufactured all over the world, the exception being thei “designer line”, Queen Anne’s Lace, which they still ran and which was manufactured in San Francisco. In 2018, the brand was sold to this company and I think that’s when they stopped making the Queen Anne’s Lace brand, thus the scanty assortment of sizes on the web site.

There is such a difference between the two. The fabric used for QAL, is the original soft cotton lawn. The EW brand is a coarser fabric. The quality of the trim and buttons is different. What really amazed me, is the difference in the amount of material in the same size gown. The QAL gowns are voluminous, which I like; EW gowns are skimpy - even the sleeves are a couple of inches shorter in the same size. It’s just not the same quality.

Breaks my heart. I guess most people either don’t notice the difference or are unwilling to pay the substantially higher price point.

• Texas_Gem
    4 years ago

I wear "something else", either an an oversized soft t-shirt and undies or a skin tight "wife beater" and some undies..

I have pajama sets (pants and shirt) that I will wear when it's really cold outside but I only wear them to piddle around the house. When it comes to bedtime, I always strip down to undies and a shirt.

There is nothing worse than waking halfway through the night to bundled clothing and feeling trapped/overheated by one's own bedding/p.j.s.

• susanwv
    4 years ago

I’m with Glenda, zilch !! DH wears his tight whiteys, I can’t stand anything around my waist. When it’s cold, I sleep in a t shirt, but don’t like to.

4 years ago

Anglo, I have both kinds of Eileen West. You are right the QAL is far nicer. What a shame there will be no more of those.

• sprtphntc7a
    4 years ago

t-shirt and undies in winter. tank top and undies in summer. no pants, gowns or socks. can't stand anything around my waist, legs or on my feet.

in hotel will sleep with pajama shorts, just in case.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    4 years ago

In the summer, I like to wear a long cotton nightgown with short sleeves. In winter, I wear long nylon gowns with short sleeves here in southern California. If we have a few extra cold nights, I will wear my long sleeved nylon gowns. And socks!

• Lars
    4 years ago

I wear an oversized V-neck T-shirt and knit pajama bottoms, usually short, but on rare days when it is cool in the house, I will wear long knit pajama bottoms. I also have pajama sets and wear them occasionally.

One Christmas, I drew my BIL's name for the family exchange, and so I made him a knee-length knit nightshirt with three quarter length sleeves. The main fabric was Swiss cotton with green and black pin-stripes, and the cuffs and collar were a ribbed black cotton knit. My sister stole this nightshirt from him, and so he did not get to wear it.

• lgmd_gaz
    4 years ago

I prefer the brushed back satin long gowns with long sleeves. It is really warm as I am always cold. And, it is slippery material that helps me turn over and get comfortable as it has become difficult for me to do so in the last year or so. In warmer weather, the brushed back satin is far too warm, so I resort to sleeveless, short nylon or tricot gowns.

• Anne
    4 years ago

This is funny to me....I tend to live in yoga pants and tshirts/sweatshirts once I come home from work and shower in the evening. *(I feel I have to shower morning and night). I tend to sleep in that. On occasion there might might be less ;) as we are now adult kid free. My DH usually wears either sleep pants or just his boxer briefs.

We do have a joke that we have family holiday pj's...When we all gather over the states for the holidays or when we go to the family beach house....lot more clothes, bras,etc.

This is my second marriage and during my first period of being single my yoga pants and tshirts I slept in might have had holes...I however did not go back to lingerie when I met DH...I decided hole free yoga pants had to be good enough or I was being phony...He is good with hole free pants and I am good with plaid sleep pants. I bought some lingerie for an anniversary and it got returned unworn.

Christmas Eve, even though we aren't all in the same place, we all(kids, stepkids, grands, hubby and I all wear coordinating pjs')

• Anne
    4 years ago

I have never worn a nightgown and what my mother called a dressing robe but I do have this beautiful pale green gown that is tea length with layers and pretty pink roses around the neck and a "robe" that hooks at the top with random pink roses that belonged to my mother. It wouldn't fit a Barbie I don't think but I do keep it boxed in my closet because it is a fond memory of which I have few. The entire Donna Reed ideal cracks me up because if you come to my door right now...you are getting plaid pj pants and an oversized tshirt and slipper socks of two different colors.

• schoolhouse_gwagain
    4 years ago

I need a pair of lounge pants, something to put on in the evening when I'm finally settled down enough in front of the TV. I tried sweat pants but they were too warm and uncomfortable plus pilled a lot (cheap brand). Just awhile ago while shopping at Dollar General for some things, I checked out their lounge/pj pants. The only thing I saw that I liked were some flannel ones but they were so heavy. For $5, I put them in my cart but then decided to not buy them as I could imagine me never wearing them.

This may be OT, but what have you found for lounge pants? and where? I suppose Walmart would have a better selection. I don't want to pay a lot for them.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    4 years ago

Lars, I probably would have stolen that nightshirt too...sounds perfect ;0)

Anne, last season friends celebrated the week before Christmas with their 2 sons, each with a first baby. They asked us over for dessert and to meet the grandchildren. All 6 adults and both babies were wearing matching Christmas union suit style pajamas with hats when we arrived....

• Anne
    4 years ago

I usually go with target or kohls for my lounge pants. I do actual yoga and those are a bit nicer but if I am sitting around and doing dishes target and Kohl's works. I was browsing Walmart the other day and saw a super cute Sleeping Jacket that I might go back and buy for family thanksgiving. They have a brand of lounge/sleep clothes. I have to wear pretty high end stuff for work and i don't want to waste on stuff for at home.

• Anne
    4 years ago

secret treasures is the WalMart brand and I see some pop up from sccop.

I'd say try it and see if the quality is ok. I buy a lot of C9 athletic wear to sleep in from target and then cute stuff of every brand from there and Kohl's. I buy my work clothes from higher end but my home stuff gets stained and worn so I really think it is well worth it

• Anne
    4 years ago

I haven't purchased from Walmart...so the recommendations are from the web...but I am gonna buy the "bed" jacket for the holidays. I love Target. and honestly Big Lots on occasion....you have to be selective but I buy brand name (low end brand) slippers there and have bought a pair of flannel pants or two...if at 10 bucks they last 18 months I am ok. If your husband wants to know what store they came from then there are other issues. We dress comfortable at home....I don't like WalMart because our closest are horrid but I might brave a further one or order online. My cats and dogs don't judge my brands

• Anne
    4 years ago

@ Lars...you sew. I know you are multitalented but I didn't know that. If you want to privately message me, I would be interested in things for my nieces, nephews and grands and maybe me!

• Anne
    4 years ago

Honest from the men here...Do you have a preference for what your wife wears? I would wear something that my husband liked....It would be a public service.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

I had been looking for a new winter robe for years. The only thing wrong with the old one was that I'd had it for decades! One would think that finding a nice, warm zip-front robe with not be a problem, but it is! Women don't put on a robe in the evening to watch TV - they like lounge pants. They don't cook breakfast in a robe as they are going to work and need to be dressed and anyway, who "cooks" breakfast anymore.

I was looking for a unicorn.

Then, last fall, I thought to look on Amazon. I found the robe of my dreams there!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DMKZHVQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like this robe so much, I ordered a 2nd one "just in case" I never find a good robe again! It washes like a dream, is so nice and "plush" and warm. I love the stand-up collar - keeps drafts from the back of my neck.

The colors are amazing - true "jewel tones". And they don't fade with washing. I love that it zips ALL the way down and the bottom also zips up.

It runs pretty big and I like a "roomy" robe so I ordered an XL. It's loose which is how I like a robe to be.

Can't say enough good things about this robe, and the price is amazing!

• DawnInCal
    4 years ago

I love WM Secret Treasure brand. I have four pairs of what I think of as summer pajamas - tshirt like top and capris style pants. They are super comfy, launder really well and don't shrink in the dryer. At $10 a pair, they are a steal.

I haven't tried their other styles, so can't comment on the quality of those.

This is a link that goes to Amazon. WM doesn't have this style listed on their website (it's all winter and xmas pjs), but I know they have them in store as I just saw them there a week ago.

WM Secret Treasures PJs

• chisue
    4 years ago

I wear the same mid-calf, sleeveless, 100% cotton 'Adonna' brand nightgowns from Penney's year round. (They may have been discontinued, but I still have a supply.) I haven't worn any kind of 'panties' to bed since early marriage when Baby Dolls were popular -- more popular with him than to me!

DH wears old fashioned cotton pajamas, tops and bottoms -- long pants and sleeves in winter and short pants and sleeves in summer. The tops button. The bottoms are elastic with snaps -- no drawstrings. Yes, these are hard to find in a nice quality for less than $100.

• Kathsgrdn
    4 years ago

I looked at those Eileen West gowns and they look like the stuff I buy in Wal-Mart. I can't imagine paying 3 or 4 times as much for basically something no one but me is going to see. I think I'm going to start sleeping without panties on as some of you mentioned you do. I don't know how many times I wake up tossing and turning and those darn things get twisted up somehow. The gown does too sometimes but I'd freeze without it. I also wear a sports bra to bed, just in case I have to run out of the house in the middle of the night-lol.

• maifleur01
    4 years ago

Would be nice if they were available at Walmart. The difference is that they are not polyester. I have one that was purchased in New Orleans several years ago.

4 years ago

There would be absolutely no difference in any part of how I dress, day or night, whether people see me or not. I cannot feel good if I don't like the way I look, no mirror necessary even.

• hounds_x_two
    4 years ago

I often wear an embroidered Oaxacan dress as a nightie. Great for travel (or taking out the trash, answering the door, etc.) because you don’t need a robe. Comfy, non-transparent, and you look dressed.

• User
    4 years ago

nuttin, honey. I get all tangled up in the sheets and blankets otherwise.

• clt3
    4 years ago

Cotton knit pajamas - short in the summer, long in the winter. I hate nightgowns, they end up twisted around my armpits.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    4 years ago

Twisting is what came to mind when people say nightgowns. How does one not get all tangled up? That would make me go bonkers.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

I must not move much when sleeping :-) Getting twisted up in either my night clothes or the bed clothes has never been an issue.

• maifleur01
    4 years ago

The comments about twisting made me wonder if they are what used to be called active sleepers. The type that move around a lot during the night. Some so bad that they end up with their feet is where their head was when they went to bed. If they wear PJs the PJs should be bunched up in parts that I like being free.

• DawnInCal
    4 years ago

I dunno, maifleur. I often wake up in the same position as I started in, although I do sometimes have restless nights when I can't get comfy or fall completely asleep. Hubby rarely complains about me thrashing around; when he does it's usually early morning about 30 minutes before I'd get up anyway so I always figured it was part of waking up.

• maifleur01
    4 years ago

Many people have what is called "restless leg syndrome". There legs when deeply asleep move. Their partners become so used to it that they do not consciously register it. However it and snoring are two of the more common reasons that couples either sleep in other beds or other rooms.

• User
    4 years ago

I move a lot when I sleep and I've never had any issues with twisted up clothes.

• User
    4 years ago

I often flop around like a dying fish, trying to get comfortable and go to sleep. My spouse on the other hand falls asleep within seconds of his head hitting the pillow. No joke. I'm so jealous of that ability.

Anyway, because I'm a flopper I too get wrapped up in anything loose I wear to bed. If it's freezing out and I need something, I have a collection of super-soft, old, tight t-shirts (from my younger, fit days!) that seem to twist up on me a little bit less. Flannel and tshirts are not a good combo though, one of these days I may almost strangle myself. LOL.

• loonlakelaborcamp
    4 years ago

Socks, only because my doggie loves to lick toes!

• chisue
    4 years ago

Would some kind person tally these responses?

I'm wondering if the females who wear 'dresses' to bed (like me) grew up wearing dresses and skirts more than pants (like I did). I am still more comfortable with only soft underpants constricting my waist and legs. Maybe that if women hadn't started wearing pants, there would be no stretchy, more comfortable leg coverings than the stiff jeans and trousers men wore when only they 'wore the pants'.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    4 years ago

I have to have my legs covered, so I love beautiful pyjamas. I love silk, cotton, a combination of the two, and even bamboo. I don't care for fleece or flannel. If it's extra chilly in the house (we do keep the thermostat down at night), I'll wear a pair of silk long underwear for an extra cuddly layer.

My mother always gave me a new gown every year for Xmas from Vermont Country store and I hated them. I think that she was surprised when I stopped wearing that type of sleep wear after I left home.

My daytime wear is varied....dresses, skirts, slacks, shorts, jeans, and leggings.

• KATHY
    4 years ago

nothing for us at our house, I do keep a robe handy though.

• User
    4 years ago

Chisue - I've always been more comfortable is dresses, pants feel constricting. Pajamas just aren't feminine enough or comfortable enough for me.

• schoolhouse_gwagain
    4 years ago

Went to Walmart today. I found some lounge pants! They were $9.97, light weight, not heavy flannel or a sweat pant, kind of silky, a stretchy knit, with a cuff at the bottom of the legs and a drawstring waist. I have never bought anything like them and was skeptical, but hey I put them on tonight after getting settled for TV, and I like them! Pretty darn comfortable, but still need a throw.

I think they will pill, but oh well, good enough. I might go buy another pair.