SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
siobhan_1

Borrowing Books - Etiquette

J C
15 years ago

I'm faced with a nice but new situation - I've recently started a job with lots of avid readers as co-workers. These lovely people are not just willing but eager to loan me books. I am sitting here with Stephanie Meyer's Twilight, virtually unobtainable from the library due to a long, long waitlist. Now my question - how long do you think I can keep the book without being rude? Is it only good manners to begin to read it immediately, and return it as soon as possible? Of course, I asked my co-worker when she needed it back, and she responded that she and her daughter had already read it, and there was no hurry. I have never borrowed a book in my entire life, except from the library.

There are many other books that I can borrow from my co-workers, in fact one kind lady posts her available books on the announcement board (she purchases all the books she reads, pouring over the Sunday newspaper book section and marking publication dates). Is there some sort of unwritten rule about returning a borrowed book? Or starting to read it right away? Is it bad manners to tuck it away until the weekend? Do I have to offer my books for borrowing? I feel terribly hypocritical as I am hesitant to loan books. I have many, but these days I rarely purchase any. I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with this book-borrowing business.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions