SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matthias_lang

Stolen or borrowed memory-- have you heard of this?

matthias_lang
3 years ago

Here's quite a short article from Psychology Today. It says that it is quite common for people to retell stories others have told them as if it were something that had happened to them, the original listener.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/mental-mishaps/201504/is-memory-yours-even-real

I went looking for such an article because I was gobsmacked today when my older sister told me a story of herself as a teenager being effectively kidnapped by an older sibling and his friends. Why was I gobsmacked? Because I had told her earlier this year how uncomfortable and helpless I had felt when SHE and her friend did that to ME when I was in grade school! The details she repeated were unmistakably from my own telling of the event as it happened to me, and in which she had been a perpetrator, not the victim.

I did not challenge her on her version of the story because I was trying to listen patiently as she worked on explaining to me the kinds of difficulties she'd had as a teen. I will discuss the borrowed memory with her further, probably tomorrow. I have a good adult relationship with this sister; she's my closest sibling, but I feel like a rug has been pulled out from under me. Or a whole floor disappeared from beneath my feet.

The Psychology Today article seems to say this is a common phenomenon. I had never heard of it. Have you? Has it happened to you? Have you witnessed it happening?

Comments (50)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations