SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janalyn_gw

Lexicon by Max Barry 2013 387 pages

janalyn
10 years ago

Just finished this, and many thanks to those who mentioned this book in previous posts. In his acknowledgment, the author thanks the reader: And, hey. You. Thanks for being the kind of person who likes to pick up a book. That's a genuinely great thing. I met a librarian recently who said she doesn't read because books are her job and when she goes home, she just wants to switch off. I think we can agree that's as creepy as hell. Thank you for seeking out stories, the kind that take place in your brain.

This is one of those books that is difficult to put down. It's a psychological study about the power of words, how they persuade and how they can manipulate. I am one of those who dislike those emails from Amazon etc telling me that they have picked out books for me that I should like. Essentially they use cookies to come up with a psychological profile and use that to persuade you to buy more. Throughout the novel are examples of how we are manipulated through facebook and websites on the internet, without even understanding how or why. He doesn't preach, these are just observations and often given as asides (but related) to the actual story.

Very good characters, exciting plot - the female protagonist reminded me of Lisbet, from The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. In a way, this book could be classified under the Slipstream category from Liz's thread. So if you are looking for non-fiction, don't bother but if you enjoy a psychological thriller that makes you THINK, I bet you would enjoy this. I certainly did which is why I am making this separate post.

I love the last page:
Join our Mailing List
1. Name
2. Address
3. E-mail
4. Are you a cat person or a dog person?
5. What is your favorite color?
6. Please select a random number. Circle one.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
7. Do you love your family?
8. Why did you do it?____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

****And now if you want to understand what that is all about, you must read the book. *grin

Comments (3)