SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21882779

Warm season grasses blooming in spring

User
7 years ago

I'm seeing warm season grasses bloom in May and I've never had this happen before. First a Muhlenbergia riverchonii sent up some blooms. Now they are all doing it. Stranger still, I've got about 5 Little Bluestem's blooming and that really surprised me, in fact I am amazed. Odder still, I went to the History Center yesterday to check out whats blooming out there and there was an Indian Grass that had sent up a bloom stalk, nice, fully developed and yellow. They usually bloom later than the Bluestem.

The Sideoats are only just now starting to put up blooms along with the Blue Grama but thats completely normal and right on schedule. One thing I like about these is how early they bloom making for a long season of impact.

We've had a mild winter and a long warm spring so far with little rain & the warm season grasses started greening up in March but thats not odd. I can't think of any reason other than temperatures causing this but they really aren't all that odd for Oklahoma, pretty typical in fact minus a killer frost or two we usually get after a warm February tricks everything into full growing season mode. People growing apricots this year will finally get one those rare crops that happen from time to time.

Has anyone else ever seen this happen?

Comments (60)

Sponsored