SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anyanka_gw

Poetry in songs

anyanka
18 years ago

Specially for Elly, and all the American Pie aficionados - here's the space for the song lyrics that are so good you can just read them like poetry.

I know some of you will paste in entire songs (and that is just fine by me), but I'm just going to give you some of my very favourite lines and phrases:

"I ache in the places where I used to play" - Leonard Cohen, Tower of Song

"The book you are reading

is one man's opinion on moonlight" - Donovan, Young Girl Blues

"Life is what happens to you

while you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon, Beautiful Boy

Comments (33)

• Elly1
    18 years ago

Thanks for starting the thread anyanka,
    There are so many songs that 'read" like poetry - as I've mentioned, Jim Webb's work, Don MacLean's "American Pie", and, of course, one of my all time favorites Leonard Cohen. this one by bob Dylan from "It's All Right Ma" is really one of my very favorites:
    "The hollow horn plays wasted words
    Proves to warn
    That he not busy being born
    Is busy dying."
    ...and so many more....
    Elly

• friedag
    18 years ago

I love the way this flows:She comes out of the sun in a silk dress running\Like a watercolour in the rain...
    --Al Stewart, "Year of the Cat"

• Related Discussions

Living with a changing garden

Q

Comments (49)
    I enjoyed reading this thread. It actually caught me while I have been having a mini epiphany about gardening and life. Many important things in my life have seemed wildly and really annoyingly out of my control lately. Projects at work have all seemed to require constant attention in order to stay on track - a year after my mother's death my father is just about to pass away himself - I am scheduled to fly out tomorrow to see him and a huge snow storm is coming - right before christmas my car was damaged in a hit and run accident....I could go on. I have found my self longing for an extended period where I could just retire and work in my garden. At first I was thinking this was because my garden is a place I feel some semblance of control. When I was telling someone this I realized what a ridiculous statement this was. I, with my garden on a rocky soil poor slope with a groundhog and plagues of june bugs, winter moths and aphids know very well I am hardly in control out there. Anyway the epiphany is that the garden is the place where I think I have made some form of peace with the notion of not being in control. I actually even think this has helped me to a degree accepting my parents mortality as part of the cycle of life (funny, when I began to accept my mother's death like this I felt like an adult for the first time in my entire life). I wish I could think of a way right now to translate this into feeling less angry at the impending snow storm. I hope tomorrow I wont have to mediate on this while sitting in an airplane on a runway for hours and hours.
    ...See More

The next holiday.....

Q

Comments (20)
    Paintingfool, The baby Jesus hidden in the cake is the same as one of the Mexican holidays! One of my Hispanic customers at the bank ran a grocery store. He always brought us one of those cakes each year. Adellabedella, loved those cupcakes. I too plan on keeping that idea. Little GD is too young to enjoy it now, but should be a big hit in a couple years. Pattycakes, I was at Dollar Tree just about a week ago. The masks were in the section where they have the shells, stickers, etc. They are unpainted ones--here they were hanging on a hook. Good luck. Your tree sounds lovely. Nice that you can get extra mileage out of a Christmas tree. I'm getting a fake one next year too--so I can keep it up longer. Sandi, I cook corned beef and cabbage for St. Pat's--and I do have an Irish heritage, but mostly like the idea of celebrating for good luck! You'll have to be sure to see my painted wood leprechauns--I'll post them on the painting forum--will try to remember to put them on here too. Luvs
    ...See More

Sharing a short Christmas story by Richard Paul Evans

Q

Comments (6)
    Great story,i've both read and seen the movie,"The christmas box". When i was a kid we had one of those player pianos,we used to get on that thing and pretend we were really playing it. Our dad played piano very well,couldn't read music ,but he also wrote poetry and songs,and there are a couple of his songs in the Library of Congress.All my brothers played guitar,and a couple sister,and a few sisters played the piano.Since i've grown up i always wished i had learned to play the piano as well,but i was very young back then. Thanks for sharing this story. Kathi
    ...See More

An(other)* English Garden, in Sussex

Q

Comments (20)
    Thanks everyone for your comments and links. :-) Titian - my only reservations with this garden - at least as presented in the photos - are with the areas that are more formal/manicured and obviously contrived; there's something about a 'perfect' garden that kind of sets my teeth on edge, for some reason. I think I like to feel that nature is ultimately always the star of the show rather than the gardener - that the gardener is merely an invisible enabler in the background and not quite such an obvious controlling presence. For me it's a bit like seeing a beautiful wild animal in a tiny bare cage - plants in an immaculate flowerbed and grass 5mm high with those perfectly sharp edges and not a weed in sight... all that wondrous aliveness in total captivity/submission to the will of humans.* And I'm not sold on the hot garden; I have seen hot colour schemes I've liked, but this isn't one of them. I think it needs a bit more in the way of restful relief and/ or delicate textures to make it pop and sing as opposed to glare and shout. The Grass Garden may well be better 'in the flesh' and at different times of year, but in this photo I can't see much in the way of interesting grasses. I expect the area is lovely when the apple blossom is out, and no doubt there are other seasonal changes that would show the grasses off better. My favourite bits are 1) the abandoned swimming pool in the White Garden - love, love that whole past history/faded glory thing. Possibly a result of having spent much of my 1950s childhood in run-down English Rectories with overgrown gardens that no longer had gardeners and under-gardeners to maintain them in the manner to which they would once have been accustomed... 2) the wisteria and laburnum draped archway - I don't think I've seen them used together like this before, and for me, it's a most satisfying combination (and I have childhood laburnum memories too, so I just loved seeing those familiar cascades of golden pea-flowers). 3) the 'Between Borders' area and the other incidental wild-ish/higgledy-piggledy bits where nature's exuberance and delicacy are allowed to shine. The herbaceous borders I'm 50/50 on - I've seen others I love more. The roses are terrific, and of course my fave is the monster 'Seagull' without too-obvious control, towering over 'Buff Beauty'. *This whole 'natural' garden thing is of course a paradox, and for me in particular, because I also really love a cool green formal arrangement of clipped box or other hedging in a symmetrical knot garden, or a traditional inward-facing Middle Eastern courtyard type layout.... just so long as there's also a big old headily-scented climbing/rambling rose or two somewhere in the picture, sprawled over an old stone or mellowed brick wall or dripping languorously from a shady pergola, along with some very well worn paths and preferably a crumbling archway or two - and hopefully a mysterious 'secret' door in a wall promising further wonders beyond...! :-) Well, I apologise - I've rambled on far too long and tired myself as well as you lot out. I'll try and come back to the thread and answer some of your other comments later. Thanks again to all. Comtesse :-)
    ...See More
  • friedag
    18 years ago

It's funny that I've been looking up songs that I remember as "poetic" only to find they are rather feeble without the music. I tend to like certain lines but not all of the lyrics; but, come to think of it, I'm the same way about most poems.

Here's a line I've fancied for thirty-something years, though I don't know what the heck it means! If there's a bustle in your hedgerow\Don't be alarmed now...
    -- Robert Plant

And from the same era: Do you still remember
    December's foggy freeze --
    when the ice that
    clings on to your beard is
    screaming agony?
    And you snatch your rattling last breaths
    with deep-sea diver sounds,
    and the flowers bloom like
    madness in the spring.
    --Mary and Ian Anderson
    Heh! Well, maybe you need to be a certain age or under the influence of something to appreciate that one.

• martin_z
    18 years ago

Sun streaking cold
    An old man wandering lonely
    Taking time the only way he knows
    Leg hurting bad
    As he bends to pick a dog-end
    He goes down to the bog and warms his feet
    Feeling alone
    The Army's up the road
    Salvation a la mode and a cup of tea
    Aqualung my friend
    Don't you start away uneasy
    You poor old sod, you see it's only me.

(Continuation from the song above - Aqualung by Jethor Tull).

Yes, I reckon that one counts as poetry. Not a pleasant subject, but poetry none the less. It's quite an interesting rhyming scheme too - lonely/only; dog-end/bog and; road/mode; uneasy/you see it's.

• georgia_peach
    18 years ago

Simon and Garfunkel had a myriad of tunes that I regard as poetic. My favorite is still "The Sound of Silence".

Hello darkness, my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again,
    Because a vision softly creeping,
    Left its seeds while i was sleeping,
    And the vision that was planted in my brain
    Still remains
    Within the sound of silence.

In restless dreams i walked alone
    Narrow streets of cobblestone,
    'neath the halo of a street lamp,
    I turned my collar to the cold and damp
    When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of
    A neon light
    That split the night
    And touched the sound of silence.

And in the naked light i saw
    Ten thousand people, maybe more.
    People talking without speaking,
    People hearing without listening,
    People writing songs that voices never share
    And no one deared
    Disturb the sound of silence.

"fools" said i,"you do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows.
    Hear my words that i might teach you,
    Take my arms that i might reach you."
    But my words like silent raindrops fell,
    And echoed
    In the wells of silence

And the people bowed and prayed
    To the neon god they made.
    And the sign flashed out its warning,
    In the words that it was forming.
    And the signs said, the words of the prophets
    Are written on the subway walls
    And tenement halls.
    And whisper'd in the sounds of silence.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Michelle Malone sings sort of bluesy rock music and is local to the area where I live (or used to be). She's one of those that hung out with the Indigo Girls and others like that, but never made it as big. One of my favorites of hers is "Sure Thing" off her Relentless album:

I'm working on a sure thing
    Been wearing out my mood ring
    Changing hues of dark green jewels
    Lead my eyes to the next sunrise
    Been dancing on a red wire
    Suspended over blue fire
    Suspect grows like a nurtured rose
    Taste the truth of your misspent youth
    And if I'm falling down
    Please don't let me know
    And if I come undone
    I'll try not to let it show
    I'm dreaming of a white light
    Surrounded by a dark night
    Tempt the fate
    Of my pearly gate
    Bright orange glow
    Of my hell below
    And if I'm falling down
    Please don't let me know
    And if I come undone
    I'll try not to let it show
    I'm working on a sure thing

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Are there any Dead Can Dance fans here? I regard them as musicians of the literary variety - though totally unclassifiable - along the lines of Loreena McKennitt, but very different stylistically.

• moongirl719
    18 years ago

Although on the other thread I complained about REM's song Stand, I have always liked the line, "If wishes were trees, the trees would be falling." Along the same lines, I also love a line in Tori Amos' song Strange, "Maybe my wish knew better than I did." Actually I am a huge Tori Amos fan and the majority of her songs are filled with some beautiful cryptic poetic writing.

As for real poetry, I second Sound of Silence. I have always felt that it is the quintessential poem put to music.

For real poetry in songs, look to musical theatre. Rodgers & Hammerstein, Lerner & Loewe, Sondheim, Porter. But the props must go to Noel Coward. His writing is filled with wit and wisdom, they are clever, campy, deliciously mischievous and precise...

I'VE BEEN TO A MARVELLOUS PARTY

You know, quite for no reason
    I'm here for the season
    And high as a kite -
    Living in error
    With Maud at Cap Ferret
    (Which couldn't be right)...
    Everyone's here, and frightfully gay;
    Nobody cares what people say,
    Though the Riviera
    Seems really much queerer
    Than Rome at its height!
    On Wednesday night
    I went to a marvellous party
    With Noonoo, and Nada, and Nell -
    It was in the fresh air,
    And we went as we were,
    And we stayed as we were,
    (Which was hell)
    Poor Grace started singing at midnight,
    And she didn't stop singing 'til four -
    We knew the excitement was bound to begin
    When Laura got blind on Dubonnet and gin
    And scratched her veneer with a Cartier pin!
    I couldn't have liked it more!
    I've been to a marvellous party
    We played a wonderful game:
    Maureen disappeared
    And came back in a beard,
    And we all had to guess at her name...
    Cecil arrived wearing armour,
    Some shells and a black feather boa -
    Poor Millicent wore a surrealist comb
    Made of bits of mosaic from St. Peter's in Rome,
    But the weight was so great that she had to go home!
    And I couldn't have liked it more!
    I've been to a marvellous party
    I must say the fun was intense;
    We all had to do
    What the people we knew
    Might be doing a hundred years hence...
    We talked about growing old gracefully,
    And Elsie - who's seventy-four -
    Said, "A) It's a question of being sincere,
    And B) If you're supple you've got nothing to fear" -
    Then she swung upside-down from a chandelier!
    And I couldn't have liked it more!
    It was the most fabulous excitement
    I've never seen such a carry-on!
    Obviously, it couldn't happen
    Anywhere else but on the Riviera...
    It was most peculiar -
    You know, people's behaviour
    Away from Belgravia
    Would make you aghast!
    So much variety,
    Watching society
    Scampering past...
    You know, if you have any mind at all,
    Gibbon's divine "Decline And Fall" -
    Well, it sounds pretty flimsy
    No more than a whimsy...
    By way of contrast,
    On Wednesday last
    I went to a marvellous party
    We didn't sit down 'til ten
    You know, young Bobby Carr
    Did a stunt at the bar
    With a lot of extraordinary...

• froniga
    18 years ago

Anyanka, yes, thanks for this thread. There are so many great song lyrics out there. The Sound of Silence is one of my favorites. Also, almost anything written by Jon Anderson of YES, imho, compares to a lot of fine poetry. It's hard to pick one song, but here's one I like. His lyrics are more to be felt than understood.

Sound and Color
    ---------------
    The spirit moves as I spiral inwardly
    I have read about it
    Don't ask me questions
    How do I turn around on the spot?

Sound can acknowledge and reveal
    The very nature of the body line
    Color coexists as a meter to the soul

So you don't need an excuse to be happy
    Just forgive and forget

They say the mystics they live in the clouds
    And they prob'ly love it

They say the mystics they live in the clouds
    And they prob'ly love it
    Yes they prob'ly love it
    Yes they prob'ly love it

• martin_z
    18 years ago

Hmmmm....well, I'm a great Yes fan, but I already posted some Yes lyrics on the other thread. The words sound good, but I don't really think they mean anything.

And you and I climb crossing the shapes of the morning.
    And you and I reach over the sun for the river.
    And you and I climb clearer towards the movement.
    And you and I called over valleys of endless seas.

• froniga
    18 years ago

But Martin, that's just it---you can almost understand it. I've always thought of these lyrics as a kind of modern art that is satisfying and says something but no one can quite put their finger on just what.
    Of course, the music adds dimensions that enhance and transport the imagination.
    Pretentious? But of course. Isn't all prog?

Just a little bit from
    Roundabout
    (By Jon Anderson & Steve Howe)

In and around the lake
    mountains come out of the sky and they stand there
    one mile over we'll be there and we'll see you
    ten true summers we'll be there and laughing too
    twenty-four before my love you'll see I'll be there with you

I will remember you
    your silhouette will charge the view
    of distance atmosphere
    call it morning driving thru the sound and even in the valley

• laa_laa
    18 years ago

Only this phrase sticks in my memory...
    ."And the sun comes up like thunder from across the (is it China???)Bay."
    Can anyone remember the song and the singer? It was from so long ago...it seems like the time of Johnny Ray or Frankie lane...L.

• larryp
    18 years ago

Laa Laa I think that's Mandalay

• larryp
    18 years ago

Well close enough. Its actually from The Road to Mandalay. Knew Mandalay was somewhere in the vicinity.

• anyanka
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Moongirl, thanks for that bit of Coward - enjoyed that.

Here's something from one of my favourite singer/songwriters, Suzanne Vega.
    "Blood Sings"

When blood sees blood
    Of its own
    It sings to see itself again
    It sings to hear the voice it's known
    It sings to recognize the face

One body split and passed along the line
    From the shoulder to the hip
    I know these bones as being mine
    And the curving of the lip

And my question to you is:
    How did this come to pass?
    How did this one life fall so far and fast?

Some are lean and some with grace, and some without;
    All tell the story that repeats
    Of a child who had been left alone at birth
    Left to fend and taught to fight

See his eyes and how they start with light
    Getting colder as the pictures go
    Did he carry his bad luck upon his back?
    That bad luck we've all come to know

And my question to you is:
    How did this come to pass?
    How did this one life fall so far and fast?

When blood sees blood
    Of its own
    It sings to see itself again

• sheriz6
    18 years ago

I'm also a Tori Amos fan, as well as an admirer of Loreen McKennit and Suzanne Vega and the Indigo Girls ... the list goes on.

One of my favorite Tori Amos songs is "Winter":

Snow can wait
    I forgot my mittens
    Wipe my nose
    Get my new boots on
    I get a little warm in my heart
    When I think of winter
    I put my hand in my father's glove

I run off
    Where the drifts get deeper
    Sleeping beauty trips me with a frown
    I hear a voice
    "Your must learn to stand up for yourself
    Cause I can't always be around"

He says
    When you gonna make up your mind
    When you gonna love you as much as I do
    Cause things are gonna change so fast
    All the white horses are still in bed
    I tell you that I'll always want you near
    You say that things change my dear

Boys get discovered as winter melts
    Flowers competing for the sun
    Years go by and I'm here still waiting
    Withering where some snowman was

Mirror mirror where's the crystal palace
    But I only can see the myself
    Skating around the truth who I am
    But I know, Dad, the ice is getting thin

All the white horses are still in bed
    You say that things change my dear

Hair is grey
    And the fires are burning
    So many dreams
    On the shelf
    You say I wanted you to be proud of me
    I always wanted that myself

He says
    All the white horses have gone ahead
    You say that things change
    My dear

And Loreena McKennitt's "All Soul's Night" ...

Bonfires dot the rolling hills
    Figures dance around and around
    To drums that pulse out echoes of darkness
    Moving to the pagan sound.

Somewhere in a hidden memory
    Images float before my eyes
    Of fragrant nights of straw and of bonfires
    And dancing till the next sunrise.

I can see lights in the distance
    Trembling in the dark cloak of night
    Candles and lanterns are dancing, dancing
    A waltz on All Souls Night.

Figures of cornstalks bend in the shadows
    Held up tall as the flames leap high
    The green knight holds the holly bush
    To mark where the old year passes by.

I can see the lights in the distance
    Trembling in the dark cloak of night
    Candles and lanterns are dancing, dancing
    A waltz on All Souls Night.

But for poetry in songs, I think Springsteen ranks right up there with so many lyrics that it's nearly impossible to choose. Another favorite bit from "Thunder Road":

The screen door slams
    Mary's dress waves
    Like a vision she dances across the porch
    As the radio plays
    Roy Orbison singing for the lonely
    Hey that's me and I want you only
    Don't turn me home again
    I just can't face myself alone again

• mariannese
    18 years ago

Sounds of silence reminds me of TS. Eliot's Love song of Alfred J. Prufrock:

LET us go then, you and I,
    When the evening is spread out against the sky
    Like a patient etherised upon a table;
    Let us go, through certain half-deserted streets,
    The muttering retreats 5
    Of restless nights in one-night cheap hotels
    And sawdust restaurants with oyster-shells:
    Streets that follow like a tedious argument
    Of insidious intent
    To lead you to an overwhelming question  10
    Oh, do not ask, "What is it?"
    Let us go and make our visit.

In the room the women come and go
    Talking of Michelangelo.

Etc.

• Kath
    18 years ago

I like Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits:

Brothers in Arms

These mist covered mountains
    Are a home now for me
    But my home is the lowlands
    And always will be
    Some day youÂll return to
    Your valleys and your farms
    And youÂll no longer burn
    To be brothers in arms

Through these fields of destruction
    Baptisms of fire
    IÂve watched all your suffering
    As the battles raged higher
    And though they did hurt me so bad
    In the fear and alarm
    You did not desert me
    My brothers in arms

ThereÂs so many different worlds
    So many differents suns
    And we have just one world
    But we live in different ones

Now the sunÂs gone to hell
    And the moonÂs riding high
    Let me bid you farewell
    Every man has to die
    But itÂs written in the starlight
    And every line on your palm
    WeÂre fools to make war
    On our brothers in arms

My younger son listens to Aussie Hiphop, which is quite different to the US version - the songs are more often about social issues or how good the band is, with very few mentions of 'hoes' or pimps or death. A lot of the lines are very clever, but some of them are poetic.

Try these:

'Two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday
    Yet many will remain in the same place anyway' - Delta

'We make you have second thoughts like you're watching the clock' - Trials

• georgia_peach
    18 years ago

I always liked these lyrics by Guadalcanal Diary:

Litany (Life Goes on)
    I see life like a mirror
    And I see life so much clearer

We move so quickly
    Who knows where the time goes
    Where does this road lead?
    No one knows, no one knows

Listen to the single heart beating
    Rhythm for an ever-changing song

I see life with surprise
    And I see life, oh, in your eyes

Take all your troubles
    Put them in a common file
    Light a fire with reason
    Watch it rise, watch it rise

Listen to the single voice singing
    Lifted in an ever-growing song

I see life without anger

I see life all together
    I see life go on forever

Life goes on forever
    Life goes on

+*+*+*+*++*+*+*+*++*+*+*+*+

I wish I could post the lyrics to Anna Domino's "Tyranny (of your company)" and "88", but as far as I know the lyrics aren't anywhere on the net. Her music is ethereal and introspective and always puts me in a poetic mood. You can find these two songs on Napster, though.

• friedag
    18 years ago

For some reason, poetic usually makes me think of deeeep and ser-i-ous lyrics, though I don't see why funny and novel can't be poetic, too. I'll post a couple of both kinds of lyrics that have jolted me into listening to the poetry.

First, the serious:
    This land today, shall draw its last breath
    And take into its ancient depths
    This frail reminder of its giant, dreaming self.
    While I, with human-hindered eyes
    Unequal to the sweeping curve of life,
    Stand on this single print of time.

Human wheels spin round and round
    While the clock keeps the pace.
    Help the light to my face.

That time, today, no triumph gains
    At this short success of age.
    This pale reflection of its brave and
    Blundering deed.
    For I, descend from this vault,
    Now dreams beyond my earthly fault
    Knowledge, sure, from the seed.

This land, today, my tears shall taste
    And take into its dark embrace.
    This love, who in my beating heart endures,
    Assured, by every sun that burns,
    The dust to which this flesh shall return.
    It is the ancient, dreaming dust of God.

-- John Mellencamp, "Human Wheels"

Aye-eee! That gives me the shivers. And in the version with the violin, I actually weep.

And here's some amusing lyrics that just might not be so lighthearted as they seem:
    She comes on like a rose
    But everybody knows
    She'll get you in Dutch
    Now you can look
    But you better not touch

Poison iv-y-y-y-y,
    Poison iv-y-y-y-y
    Late at night while you're sleepin'
    Poison ivy comes a'creepin'
    Arou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ound.

She's pretty as a daisy
    But look out man,
    She's crazy
    She'll really do you in
    Now if you let her under your skin.

Poison iv-y-y-y-y
    Poison iv-y-y-y-y
    Late at night while you're sleepin'
    Poison ivy comes a'creepin'
    Arou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ound.

Measles make you bumpy
    And mumps'll make you lumpy
    And chicken pox'll make you jump and twitch
    A common cold'll fool ya
    And whooping cough'll cool ya
    But poison ivy,
    Lord'll make you itch!!

You're gonna need an ocean
    Of calamine lotion
    You'll be scratchin' like a hound
    The minute you start to mess around:

Poison iv-y-y-y-y, poison iv-y-y-y-y
    Late at night while you're sleepin' poison ivy comes a'creepin'
    Arou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ound

Measles make you bumpy
    And mumps'll make you lumpy
    And chicken pox'll make you jump and twitch
    A common cold'll fool ya
    And whooping cough'll cool ya
    But poison ivy,
    Lord'll make you itch!!

You're gonna need an ocean
    Of calamine lotion
    You'll be scratchin' like a...

• anyanka
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh, I am so glad that there are others out there who actually listen to the words! Frieda, that Mellencamp lyric is probably the most 'poetic' in so far as it does perfectly well without music.

Reading the Tori Amos reminded me of some of Kate Bush's, but when I looked up the words, it turned out that they don't work at all well on their own...

And here is another favourite funny, featuring some of the most audacious rhyming:

Your Majesty, If you were King, you wouldn't be afraid of anything?
    Not nobody, not nohow!
    Not even a rhinocerous?
    Imposserous!
    How about a hippopotamus?
    Why, I'd trash him from top to bottomamus!
    Supposin' you met an elephant?
    I'd wrap him up in cellophant!
    What if it were a brontosaurus?
    I'd show him who was King of the Forest!
    How?
    How?
    Courage! What makes a King out of a slave?
    Courage! What makes the flag on the mast to wave?
    Courage! What makes the elephant charge his tusk, in the misty mist or the dusky dusk?
    What makes the muskrat guard his musk?
    Courage! What makes the sphinx the seventh wonder?
    Courage! What makes the dawn come up like thunder?
    Courage! What makes the Hottentot so hot? What puts the "ape" in apricot?
    What have they got that I ain't got?
    Courage!
    Then you can say that again!

• rouan
    18 years ago

I have a couple favorite songs that I think work well without the music, The first is Tapestry by Carole King

My life has been a tapestry of rich and royal hue
    An everlasting vision of the ever-changing view
    A wondrous, woven magic in bits of blue and gold
    A tapestry to feel and see, impossible to hold

Once amid the soft silver sadness in the sky
    There came a man of fortune, a drifter passing by
    He wore a torn and tattered cloth around his leathered hide
    And a coat of many colors, yellow-green on either side

He moved with some uncertainty, as if he didn't know
    Just what he was there for, or where he ought to go
    Once he reached for something golden hanging from a tree
    And his hand came down empty

Soon within my tapestry along the rutted road
    He sat down on a river rock and turned into a toad
    It seemed that he had fallen into someone's wicked spell
    And I wept to see him suffer, though I didn't know him well

As I watched in sorrow, there suddenly appeared
    A figure gray and ghostly beneath a flowing beard
    In times of deepest darkness, I've seen him dressed in black
    Now my tapestry's unraveling - he's come to take me back
    He's come to take me back

The second one A Lonely Voice is by a group called October Project, one of my all time favorite groups. This is from their first album.

I keep looking back
    A lifetime back
    Across the desert
    In a desert where no one can explain
    You tell me God is dancing in the rain

I can hear the echo
    In a maze of words
    A lonely voice behind a door
    Can you hear me calling
    From a world away

I keep looking back
    Traditions back
    Across the centuries
    In a century where no one can explain
    You tell me God is dancing in the rain

I can hear the echo
    In a maze of words
    Can you hear me calling
    From a world away

As I stare ahead
    A dream ahead
    Across the ocean
    Cross an ocean where there's nothing to explain
    You tell me God is laughing in the rain

I can hear the echo
    In a maze of words
    Can you hear me calling
    From a world away

• friedag
    18 years ago

LOL, anyanka, your hippopotamus song reminded me of this ditty:I want a hippopotamus for Christmas
    Only a hippopotamus will do
    Don't want a doll, no dinky Tinker Toy
    I want a hippopotamus to play with and enjoy...

I want a hippopotamus for Christmas
    Only a hippopotamus will do
    No crocodiles, no rhinoceroses
    I only like hippopotamuses
    And hippopotamuses like me too.
    --"I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas"; words and music by John Rox; performed by Gayla Peevey (1953)

Okay, I sort of agree that truly poetic lyrics should be able to stand alone, without music. But, as I read many of the above posted lyrics, if I am at all familiar with the tunes, the words will always remind me of the music and then I can't separate the two in my mind. On the other hand, the lyrics/poems I have never before heard with their accompanying music tend to be unmemorable -- though I notice they incline to serious or metaphysical themes and could be quite profound if I had a frame of reference. Now, I've forgotten a lot of music history that I once learned -- and even more critical analysis of the development of poetry -- but I do recall that the two (music and poetry) have had an intertwining relationship for a long, long time. Back when all history was orally/aurally transmitted, the reciter (can't think of the proper word) found it easier to remember intricate passages if the words were sung -- and his listeners could remember the words and stories better, too, and they in turn could repeat them (not always accurately, of course, but the kernel was pretty solid).

An interesting thing about some of the novelty songs, especially, I think, is how often the words themselves suggest the music and rhythm. I was testing this out with my son. I asked him if he knew the song "Poison Ivy" (see my above post). He said he didn't think he did. So I asked him to read the lyrics out loud. He has no interest in poetry whatsoever and not much interest in music, but he has a lovely speaking voice and he's willing to indulge his mother's whims, sometimes. Anyway, he read it -- at first hesitantly -- but then I noticed he picked up the rhythm (and those of you who know how to analyze poetry can probably tell about meter and rhyme schemes and all that). When I had him go through it again, I noticed it was even more pronounced, and by the third go-through he was almost singing it -- not quite in the same way The Coasters did but there sure was a hint of 'em in the air. That reminds me that songwriting teams often say that it's much easier to create music for already-written words than to try to fit lyrics to already-existing music.

But just as music provides a conveyance for words, I guess words can do the same thing for music. Heh! One of the more pretentious aspects of the 1960s was the seeking of meaning in things that probably didn't have much meaning. Lots of songs became popular because they were thought to be deeeeeep -- and the more...

• woodnymph2_gw
    18 years ago

I've always liked Don McLean's "Vincent" :

Starry, starry night.
    Paint your palette blue and grey,
    Look out on a summer's day,
    With eyes that know the darkness in my soul.
    Shadows on the hills,
    Sketch the trees and daffodils,
    Catch the breeze and winter chills,
    In colors on the snowy linen land.

Now I understand what you tried to say to me,
    How you suffered for your sanity,
    How you tried to set them free.
    They would not listen, they did not know how.
    Perhaps they'll listen now.

Starry, starry night.
    Flaming flowers that brightly blaze,
    Swirling clouds in violet haze,
    Reflect in Vincent's eyes of China blue.
    Colors changing hue, morning field of amber grain,
    Weathered faces lined in pain,
    Are soothed beneath the artist's loving hand.

Now I understand what you tried to say to me,
    They would not listen, they did not know how.
    Perhaps they'll listen now.

For they could not love you,
    But still your love was true.
    And when no hope was left in sight
    On that starry, starry night,
    You took your life, as lovers often do.
    But I could have told you, Vincent,
    This world was never meant for one
    As beautiful as you.

Starry, starry night.
    Portraits hung in empty halls,
    Frameless head on nameless walls,
    With eyes that watch the world and can't forget.
    Like the strangers that you've met,
    The ragged men in ragged clothes,
    The silver thorn of bloody rose,
    Lie crushed and broken on the virgin snow.

Now I think I know what you tried to say to me,
    They would not listen, they're not listening still.
    Perhaps they never will.

• friedag
    18 years ago

Oooh, Mary, I've always liked "Vincent," too. That's another one that I can't separate words and music in my mind, but if I had never heard the music I think I would still find it affecting because it obviously tells the story of van Gogh and how his work was at first under/unappreciated. I think, even if I didn't know about van Gogh or had never seen his paintings, I would still be able to discern something of what's going on in those lyrics. I would say that's truly poetry.

• nickel_kg
    18 years ago

I like the poetry & rhythm inherent in these words:

East Of Eden
    -- Pete Doherty

I've been wandering East of Eden
    Been lost, cold, lonesome as a sparrow in the rain
    I found myself tumbling to a sinking feeling
    When someone said I done gone wrong
    Couldn't feel no shame
    I'll be leaving town on the very next train
    You can wait for me little girl
    But I won't be coming this way again
    And it ain't nobody's business if I do

There's a slow train rumbling east of a place called Eden
    Ah, the wind blowing in proud as the trees upon the plain
    And a stranger's voice talked to me of liberty and freedom
    Yeah, it seems like he done gone wrong again
    And he wears the hat like shame

Well he tasted the fruit of another
    And when his Margie, when she discovered
    Said she's gonna love him ten times more
    Ain't nobody's business if she do

He said "some men born rich, some men born poor
    But they're rich in other ways"
    Into my heart his wisdom poured

It's no good crumblin, I'm making tracks to live
    When I laid my love down in the light
    You should've seen all the things my shadow did

The filth and the fury, the fear and the pain
    It's all disappearing now
    Faster than the smoke from this old train
    And it ain't nobody's business if it do
    One more time: ain't nobody's business if it do

• froniga
    18 years ago

Glad to see the lyrics to Vincent posted. That's a truly beautiful song. I actually have those lyrics on a bedroom wall right under a copy of the painting Starry Night.

And, at the risk of being booed out of the place, John Denver has some wonderful lyrics (and music). The Eagle and the Hawk comes to mind:
    "I am the eagle, I live in high country
    In rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky..."

• anyanka
    Original Author
    18 years ago

'Tapestry' and 'Vincent' are both great favourites of mine, too, musically and lyrically.
    As is 'Come Together'. "Got to be good looking cause he's so hard to see" - I love that line particularly, Frieda. Thanks for your account of getting your son to read Poison Ivy, very interesting!

Talking to my brother about The Who yesterday reminded me that 'Substitute' has brilliantly sharp and acerbic lyrics:

You think we look pretty good together
    You think my shoes are made of leather

But I'm a substitute for another guy
    I look pretty tall but my heels are high
    The simple things you see are all complicated
    I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated, yeah

Substitute your lies for fact
    I see right through your plastic mac
    I look all white, but my dad was black
    My fine looking suit is really made out of sack

I was born with a plastic spoon in my mouth
    The north side of my town faced east, and the east was facing south
    And now you dare to look me in the eye
    Those crocodile tears are what you cry
    It's a genuine problem, you won't try
    To work it out at all you just pass it by, pass it by

Substitute me for him
    Substitute my coke for gin
    Substitute you for my mum
    At least I'll get my washing done

• georgia_peach
    18 years ago

This thread has jogged my memory about something. Growing up, my sister and I shared a room for a while. Sis was pretty good at embroidery and would take lyrics she thought of as poetry, embroider them onto a nice cut of fabric and hang them on her wall. The two that I remember being up the longest were "Colour My World" by Chicago and "Time in a Bottle" by Jim Croce. In particular, I remember "Colour My World" being on fabric that swirled with the softer shades of orange.

• Ideefixe
    18 years ago

My favorite is Waters of March (Ãguas de Março) by Antonio Carlos Jobim. Even though his native language was Portugese, he was fascinated by English, and all the words in the song are derived from Old English--nothing Latinate. He wrtoe both versions.

A stick, a stone
    it's the end of the road,

it's the rest of the stump
    it's a little alone

it's a sliver of glass,
    it is life,it's the sun,

it is night ,it is death,
    it's a trap, it's a gun.

the oak when it blooms,
    a fox in the brush,

the knot in the wood,
    the song of the thrush.

the wood of the wind,
    a cliff, a fall,

a scratch, a lump,
    it is nothing at all.

it's the wind blowing free.
    it's the end of a slope.

it's a beam, it's a void,
    it's a hunch, it's a hope.

and the riverbank talks.
    of the water of march

it's the end of the strain,
    it's the joy in your heart.

the foot, the ground,
    the flesh, the bone,

the beat of the road,
    a slingshot stone.

a fish, a flash,
    a silvery glow,

a fight, a bet,
    the range of the bow.

the bed of the well,
    the end of the line,

the dismay in the face,
    it's a loss, it's a find.

a spear, a spike,
    a point, a nail,

a drip, a drop,
    the end of the tale.

a truckload of bricks,
    in the soft morning light,

the shot of a gun,
    in the dead of the night.

a mile, a must,
    a thrust, a bump.

it's a girl, it's a rhyme.
    it's the cold, it's the mumps.

the plan of the house,
    the body in bed,

the car that got stuck,
    it's the mud, it's the mud.

a float, a drift,
    a flight, a wing,

ahawk, a quail,
    the promise of spring.

and the riverbanks talks.
    of the waters of march.

it's the promise of life,
    it's the joy in your heart,

a snake, a stick,
    it is john, it is joe,

it's a thorn in your hand,
    and a cut on your toe.

a point, a grain,
    a bee, a bite,

a blink, a buzzard,
    the sudden stroke of night.

a pin, a needle,
    a sting, a pain,

a snail, a riddle,
    a weep, a stain.

a pass in the mountains.
    a horse, a mule,

in the distance the shelves.
    rode three shadows of blue.

and the riverbank talks
    of the promise of life
    in your heart, in your heart

a stick, a stone,
    the end of the load,

the rest of the stump,
    a lonesome road.

a sliver of glass,
    a life, the sun,

a night, a death,
    the end of the run

and the riverbank talks
    of the waters of march

it's the end of all strain
    it's the joy in your heart

• woodnymph2_gw
    18 years ago

I've always loved the Paul Simon song words. I hated to see Simon & Garfunkel split up.

Here's "Patterns" by Simon.

The night sets softly
    With the hush of falling leaves,
    Casting shivering shadows
    On the houses through the trees,
    And the light from a street lamp
    Paints a pattern on my wall,
    Like the pieces of a puzzle
    Or a child's uneven scrawl.

Up a narrow flight of stairs
    In a narrow little room,
    As I lie upon my bed
    In the early evening gloom.
    Impaled upon my wall
    My eyes can dimly see
    The pattern of my life
    And the puzzle that is me.

From the moment of my birth
    To the instant of my death,
    There are Patterns I must follow
    Just as I must breathe each breath.
    Like a rat in a maze
    The path before me lies,
    And the pattern never alters
    Until the rat dies.

And the pattern still remains
    On the wall where darkness fell,
    And it's fitting that it should
    For in darkness I must dwell.
    Like the color of my skin,
    Or the day that I grow old,
    My life is made of Patterns
    That can scarcely be controlled.

• anyanka
    Original Author
    18 years ago

There are so many postings here that make me go, "yes, me too!" - mentions of Paul Simon, Carole King, Jim Croce...

Ideefixe, thank you - I know that song, but can't recall where from. Must have had a cover version of it on some old vinyl record in my teenage years. [Googled it - it was an Art Garfunkel album. Is that why you followed it with a Paul Simon lyric, Woodnymph, or was that a happy strange coincidence?] The repetitive patterns remind me of another favourite, Leonard Cohen's 'Who By Fire' which is based on a prayer from the Yom Kippur liturgy.

And who by fire,
    who by water,
    who in the sunshine,
    who in the night time,
    who by high ordeal,
    who by common trial,
    who in your merry merry month of may,
    who by very slow decay
    and who shall I say is calling?

And who in her lonely slip,
    who by barbiturate,
    who in these realms of love,
    who by something blunt,
    and who by avalanche,
    who by powder,
    who for his greed,
    who for his hunger,

And who by brave assent,
    who by accident,
    who in solitude,
    who in this mirror,
    who by his lady's command,
    who by his own hand,
    who in mortal chains,
    who in power,

• veer
    18 years ago

I love Tom Lehrer and thought this might be a catchy little number for the US Vice-President.

"I was in no mood to trifle
    I took down my trusty rifle
    And went out to stalk my prey
    What a haul I made that day
    I tied them to my fender
    And I drove them home somehow
    Two game wardens, seven hunters and a cow"

• rosefolly
    18 years ago

I've enjoyed this thread, and many of the lyrics. Some of them I had forgotten, and reading the words brought echoes of the songs back to my mind once again.

I sometimes like very simple lyrics. Gary Allan sings a poignant song of leavetaking that I really enjoy. The metaphors are simple but clean and clear.

Smoke Rings in the Dark

Well I won't make you tell me
    What I've come to understand
    You're a certain kind of woman
    I'm a different kind of man
    I've tried to make you love me
    You've tried to find a spark of the flame that burned but
    Somehow turned to smoke rings in the dark

The loneliness within me
    Takes a heavy toll
    'Cause it burns as slow as whiskey through an empty aching soul
    And the night is like a dagger
    Long and cold and sharp
    As I sit here on the front steps
    Blowing smoke rings in the dark

I- I- I know I must be going
    'Cause loves already gone
    And all I'm taking with me are the pieces of my heart
    And all I'll leave are smoke rings in the dark

The rain falls where it wants to
    The wind blows where it will
    Everything on earth goes somewhere
    But I swear we're standin' still
    So I'm not going to wake you
    I'll go easy on your heart
    I'll just touch your face and drift away
    Like smoke rings in the dark

I- I- I know I must be going
    'Cause loves already gone
    And all I'm taking with me are the pieces of my heart and
    All I'll leave are smoke rings in the dark

• moongirl719
    18 years ago

I am really enjoying this thread! Yes, I second Tapestry and Vincent (which always makes me cry)

On the funny, ironic side, once again I must turn to Tori Amos. This one is good for the kids:

Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout
    Would not take the garbage out
    She'd scour the pots and scrap the pans
    Candy the yams and spice the hams
    And though her daddy would scream and shout
    She simply would not take the garbage out
    And so it pulled up to the ceilings
    Coffee grounds, potato peelings
    Brown bananas, rottens peas
    Chunks of sour cottage cheese
    It filled the can it covered the floor
    It cracked the window and blocked the door