SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodnymph2_gw

March winds, lions, lambs, and books!

woodnymph2_gw
12 years ago

I finished Michael Ondaatje's novel "The Cat's Table." I enjoy his poetic style and evocation of a young English boy on board a liner, on a 21 day voyage from Ceylon to England. The boy, as an adult, looks back over his youth and realizes the watershed events on board that changed his life forever. I recommend this novel highly, if you liked Ontdaaje's "The English Patient."

What to read next? I'm toying with the idea of Anna Quindlan's "Object Lessons." Did anyone here read this, and what did you think?

I just can't seem to bring myself to get into a Chas. Dickens mode, with spring just around the corner here in the South....

Comments (141)

• J C
    12 years ago

I would be surprised if most Americans even know that Churchill's mother was American. As Woodnymph says, he is an iconic figure, a metaphorically towering giant who stook up to Hitler and made terrific speeches. Just about everyone, at least in my generation, can come up with a quote or three. Personally I find him fascinating - such a complex character and a leader on the world stage for so many decades. I also love that he is a recurring character in Doctor Who. :)

• veer
    12 years ago

Siobhan, you probably are familiar with these lines from Death and his Brother Sleep A poem Churchill had first read and memorised as a child from the satirical magazine Punch.
    Edwin Milikien's work was actually written about a rail crash, but WSC used it to better effect as a warning to those who couldn't see the danger of the rise of Hitler.

Who is in charge of the clattering train?
    For the carriages sway and the couplings strain,
    And the pace is fast, and the points are near,
    And sleep had deadened the driver's ear.
    And the signals flash through the night in vain
    For Death is in charge of the clattering train.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Gathering Storm

• Related Discussions

Sowing with the Lion, or Sowing with the Lamb?

Q

Comments (10)
    I looked thru my records last night, and it is not unusual for me to have 6 inches snow in March months. Actually, 16 years ago was the lowest recorded barometer reading for PA in March and we had a blizzard. The stronger sun usually doesn't let the newly fallen snow stay around long..good thing because St. Patty's Day is the day to plant peas here. I have also seen heavy frost or snow in May. I plant by the moon, so I use that as a general guide, as now is the time for above ground crops and I am sowing more now. Over the years , as much as I have tried to keep this zinnias going earlier I don't bother to sow until April or May. I turned my unused dog pen into the protected/ fenced garden also Jan. I have considered enclosed also with plastic etc... hope it works for you and you let us know!
    ...See More

March is Going out Like a Lion

Q

Comments (11)
    Pensacola is up to 13" and counting. There were rivers in my yard I've never seen before (likely because of the landscape change created by our friend ivan). This rain washed away my entire herb bed in just a few hours -- I mean totally gone. So I'll be off to get seeds (and more garden soil) this afternoon when (if) it stops raining. I guess I need to figure out where the river is coming from and do what I can to redirect for future storms -- anyone else have this problem? It could have been worse though -- so I'm thankful for what's left.
    ...See More

In like a Lion or a Lamb?

Q

Comments (13)
    I'd say it was the Lion's last hurrah. After a snow blizzard on Friday and Saturday followed by high winds and high of 10F. on Sunday. Monday wasn't much better with a high of only 24F. and very low wind chills (-11F.) with the wind blowing so hard you wanted to turn your back to it. I'm getting too old for this and I'm starting to dream of the southern beaches and the Gulf of Mexico. Sigh. MeMo
    ...See More

March: in like a lamb or lion?

Q

Comments (16)
    Our weather here has been pretty bad. We got a huge storm with 51 cm of snowfall in one day last week. From what I'm seeing on the weather network, we will continue to have cold weather with below average temperatures. Also, following Marcia's theory of Good Friday, it's going to be colder than average here! I wonder if spring will ever come. As I look outside, all I can see is white. We must have 2 feet of snow out there and in some areas where the plows have been, the snow is up to the crown of the tree in my front yard. I am a little jealous of the people in Alberta who have had seasonably mild temperatures. My friend in Red Deer has been using her cold frame to acclimate her plants for the last week or so.
    ...See More
  • sheriz6
    12 years ago

I just finished two books with similar settings and characters, but quite different tones. I picked up Summer at Tiffany, a lighthearted memoir by Marjorie Hart (mentioned here, I think, though I can't recall where) about the summer of 1945 when she worked at Tiffany's in NYC. At the same time I was also reading Rules of Civility by Amor Towles about a girl of similar age, navigating New York City during 1938 - 39. Hart's memoir was frothy and fun, while Towles novel was darker and more of a study of human nature. I'd recommend both. My only minor complaint with Towles' book was that as a man writing in a woman's voice, his main character lacked a certain emotional something ... or maybe she was just tough as nails. Either way, definitely worth reading.

Vee, regarding Churchill, I'd agree with Siobhan in that most Americans would have no clue his mother was American. I think he has become an icon, a short-hand for British guts during the war, someone larger than life who spoke his mind with scathing and witty turns of phrase -- all things Americans would admire.

• friedag
    12 years ago

Well, most Americans may not know Churchill's mother, Jennie Jerome, was American, but a lot do know it. So, yes, I think his being 'half American' does add to American interest in him. Another reason Americans like him is his chutzpah: one example, he accepted responsibility for the Gallipoli debacle, but he overcame this failing. He was constantly up and down, in and out of favor but he kept bouncing back. Americans seem to favor men of action, which Churchill was -- whether he was right or wrong -- and the fact that he was the antithesis of the appeaser Chamberlain made him even more interesting to Americans. A lot of people forget that Churchill was a hawk.

I agree that it was his facility with the English language that evokes most Americans' admiration of him. He seemed to be a natural for creating 'good sound bites'. That he worked hard to do so probably isn't realized by most, though.

And we have to say something about his appearance: his girth and putty face (chomping the ever-present cigar) made him a dream for cartoonists and caricaturists. He partly became so well-known and recognizable because their work put him in most of the American daily newspapers. Would we remember Churchill for his actions and words only? Yes, but the images help spark a larger interest. Even people nowadays only vaguely aware of Churchill who see a cartoon of him will pause and ask, "Who's that fat guy?"

• veer
    12 years ago

I should have mentioned above that Lady Astor was also an American, originally one of the famous Langhorne sisters of Virginia who all married 'well'.
    Not only was Churchill's Mother an American and someone who later went on to have a very colourful private life, but his cousin the Duke of Marlborough was married to the beautiful and very wealthy heiress Consuelo Vanderbilt. A union forced on the couple by their parents . . . the Marlborough's because they were short of cash and Consuelo's mother because she was a social climber and by all accounts a controlling harridan.
    I think the 'off-spring' of these unions all suffered as a result of the arranged marriages, but well before the days of the psychiatrist's couch their early difficulties led to a strength of character.

• rouan
    12 years ago

Carolyn,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you, but I haven't been online for a few days.

I am meeting my sisters (including Rosefolly) for a family get-together in Louisville; part of which includes attending the Jane Austen festival. None of us have ever attended it so we thought it would be a fun excuse to get us all together without having a wedding or funeral to attend.

I'd love to meet up with you during my visit there; I'm sure (based on other family get-togethers! LOL) there will be times that we all want to go our separate ways for a while. Email me closer to that weekend and let me know what's convenient for you. :)

• carolyn_ky
    12 years ago

Rouan, you and Rosefolly both? What riches! Let's see what we can do close to the time.

• carolyn_ky
    12 years ago

I forgot to say that I received Gods of Gotham by mail from Siobhan and started it today. I like it already. Has anyone read New York by Rutherfurd? This book reminds me a bit of a slice of it.

• rouan
    12 years ago

Carolyn, sounds like a great idea!

The weather here has been wonderful the past couple of days and put me in the mood for something I hadn't read in a long time, but I couldn't figure out what I wanted. So many of my books are still packed in boxes (I am going to have bookcases built, but have to wait for the contractor to get back to me for when he can start the project) that it made it hard to find just the right book.

I finally settled on re-reading Zenna Henderson's The People series. The first one is Pilgrimage The Book of the People. I found myself totally drawn into that world; the season changed instantly from early Spring to early Fall and I was hooked. When Valancy called up the storm I felt the stinging iciness of the rain (well, mentally I did, if not pysically...LOL).

When people question me as to why I re-read a book since I already know how it's going to end, I think the best answer is that it fits somehow, whether it's a mood or a world I want to revisit or a friend I want to connect with again. I'd have to say that Zenna Henderson's book fits all the above criteria for me today.

• twobigdogs
    12 years ago

There is a fun and interesting book about the American ladies "matched up" with their English titled husbands called "To Marry an English Lord". I heard that it recently went back into print after the creator of Downtown Abbey mentioned he got ideas from the book. The mothers wanted to add a title from the old country, the gentleman's family usually had great need of American cash. In the case of Consuelo Vanderbilt's marriage, her father poured untold millions into the Duke's family estate. And if memory serves, I seem to recall that the Duke had no qualms going back to ask for more and more and more cash. For a hard working man like Vanderbilt, having such a son-in-law must have been a trial.

PAM

Here is a link that might be useful: to read an excerpt on the Workman Pub. site

• sherwood38
    12 years ago

The Various Haunts of Men by Susan Hill was recommended to me by another mystery lover and I loved it! The writing was really good not to mention the characters and I would love to live in Lafferton!
    I know a lot of readers enjoy Louise Penney's Three Pines series, but this one appealed much more to me, well at least the 1st book in the series - I have already requested the 2nd book from the library and hope it is as good.

Pat

• rouan
    12 years ago

Pat, isn't Susan Hill the one who wrote The Woman in Black? Or am I mixing her up with another author?

• carolyn_ky
    12 years ago

Pat, I adore the Simon Serrailler books, although on another site I read some people don't like them at all. I think you have to know that Susan Hill doesn't write happy-ever-after books.

Yes, Rouan, she is the author of Woman in Black.

• veer
    12 years ago

Pat, those Susan Hill books are some of the very few whodunnit's I enjoy; lots of depth to them. You need to read them in order.
    A piece in this morning's paper saying she is broke and how little she has made from the film Woman in Black. But then there's broke and broke. ;-)
    Has the movie opened elsewhere yet?

Here is a link that might be useful: Haunted by the Woman in Black

• J C
    12 years ago

Susan Hill is a favorite author of mine - I adore Howard's End is on the Landing, a memoir about spending a year reading and rereading only books that are already on one's shelves, with her own list of forty books. When it comes to reading, Susan Hill truly "gets it."

• woodnymph2_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pat, I second what Carolyn wrote about the Simon Serailler books by Susan Hill. I loved all of them and can't wait for the next one to come out.

Vee, yes the movie of "Woman in Black" did play here, but I missed it, unfortunately.

• sherwood38
    12 years ago

It never ceases to amaze me that after all my years of reading-especially mysteries that I still 'discover' a new to me writer. I just know I am going to enjoy the rest of the books in Susan Hill's series.

The same person that recommended her books to me also recommended Barry Maitland when I told her how much I enjoyed Susan Hill. This lady (on another forum I enjoy) loves ALL English mysteries and has over the years recommended so many authors to me. She is now retired but if I remember correctly was a book reviewer and so came across lots & lots of books.
    So, yesterday I requested The Marx Sisters, the 1st in Maitland's police procedural-has anyone else read him?

Pat

• pam53
    12 years ago

I adore Susan Hill's Simon S. series.
    I just finished reading Debra Dean's The Madonnas of Leningrad, which everyone else probably read ages ago. I liked the book very much and her writing too.(a bit of magical realism)
    I completed David Rosenfelt's Heart
    of A Killer which was readable. It's the first book by him I have read although it looks as if he has written many mysteries also.
    Forgive errors please-my computer dislikes this website lately
    Thomas Perry's Jane Whitefeather mysteries are also great-I am starting the latest which is called PoisonFlower. He has written other mysteries as well, which I have not tried.

• frances_md
    12 years ago

pam53, David Rosenfelt's Andy Carpenter series is wonderful. Rosenfelt has the best sense of humor and loves dogs and I look forward to each of his books.

Another writer of mystery/thrillers is C. J. Box. I don't remember seeing him mentioned here except by me. He writes a series about a game warden in Wyoming or maybe Montana. I read his books straight through, like I did Michael Connelly's when I first discovered him. Box's latest book was released today but I won't get it on my Kindle for a couple of weeks.

Still another author I don't see mentioned is Barry Eisler who writes about an assassin named John Rain. I love his books, too.

I hope everyone who likes this kind of book reads Lee Childs' books about my hero and love of my life, Jack Reacher.

Just yesterday I was reading a review of Susan Hill's new book and considering making her series my next audiobooks but the review said that her books have unhappy endings that leave readers depressed. Is that true? I try to avoid depression like I avoid horror and other unpleasant things.

• vickitg
    12 years ago

I started reading "The Sisters Brothers" - a western by Patrick deWitt - but it was too violent. That made me sad because I liked the writing and one of the characters. I switched to "Daughter of Smoke and Bone" by Laini Taylor, a totally different type of book. I'm enjoying it so far.

• carolyn_ky
    12 years ago

Frances, I don't like depressing books either, but for some reason, even though poor Simon so far has never ended up with the girl or ridden off into the sunset, I always have HOPE for him. I'm not sure that makes any sense, but the series leaves me wanting more.

• woodnymph2_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Frances, I would agree with Carolyn about the Simon S. series. Bad things do happen in them, but there is somehow something redemptive about the characters, also leaving me with hope. I would describe this series as "thought-provoking."

• annpan
    12 years ago

Hello! Apparently I am able to post again. Wonderful after about 4 months of not getting through! It has been very hot here in Western Australia and I have been rereading a lot of Maeve Binchy novels and getting the DVDs to watch as I haven't felt like getting into anything new. Too energetic!
    The TV series of Kerry Greenwood's Phyrne Fisher books has started and I bought her latest Corinna Chapman as the waiting list was too long!

• frances_md
    12 years ago

Thanks to both of you for your feelings about the Simon S. series. I will download the first one and listen, putting Founding Gardeners by Andrea Wulf on hold for a while.

• pam53
    12 years ago

I have to apologize to Thomas Perry re his Jane Whitefield books-yesterday I called her Jane Whitefeather. (senior moment)

• J C
    12 years ago

PAM, I received The Yard today, thank you kindly! What timing - I just finished Revelation last night and returned it to its owner.

FWIW, I am also an admirer of the Simon S. series, but I have only read two. I think I will see if they are available on Kindle library loan.

• lemonhead101
    12 years ago

Ann - Welcome back now you are posting from your own computer. It makes such a difference to do it from your own one, doesn't it?

I am reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle - short stories which are really well told and I don't seem to tire of them. Also just finished The Storm at the Door by Stefan Merrill Block, a fiction based on the true story of his grandfather who was committed to a mental hospital and then could never get out. Not as good as I had hoped, but it was an OK read.

Also (still) reading Inside the Victorian Home by Judith Flanders which is NF and follows the flow of the rooms in the house as structure to describe their history. For example, people might get born in the bedroom so we start there. Absolutely fascinating stuff and I am *loving* it. It's slow reading though as there are lots of details.

As another read in the mix, I am also reading Shooting the Boh: A Woman's Voyage Down the Wildest River in Borneo by Tracy Johnston, which is good so far (altho early days).

My mum was here for a few days so got no reading in. Lots of shopping and chit-chat, but reading? Not so much. :->

• J C
    12 years ago

Inside the Victorian Home sounds a bit like Bill Bryson's book At Home was supposed to be but wasn't. I will have to check it out (in more ways than one).

I am so glad annpann is back. Although I know it is foolish, I worry about people when they disappear from RP. Now that ann is back, I can go back to worrying about Rayma (I'm sure some of you remember her - huge Stephen King fan, great sense of humor). She hasn't been here in years, undoubtedly she inherited a castle in the south of France and is at this moment being fed grapes by nubile young men while reading King's latest brick.

Enough with the nonsense, back to reading - working - etc.

• sherwood38
    12 years ago

Yes-Rayma! I also miss Robin & Janalyn-they always started such good discussions.

I am currently reading Love You More this is one I missed in the Lisa Gardner DD Warren series, no idea how I missed it, and as usual I am enjoying it. It filled in the gaps that puzzled me in Catch Me.

I do read on my kindle in between library books, but the last three that I finished were not memorable-although they were free!

Pat

• sheriz6
    12 years ago

Rayma! Yes, with her dog and bird (psycho bird?) and Stephen King ... my daughter has become a huge King fan and I was trying to remember Rayma's name.

I just started Unorthodox: the Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots by Deborah Feldman, and it has really pulled me in. She was brought up in an ultra-orthodox community in New York where women's lives are still very constrained. I'm finding the world she describes fascinating and a bit horrifying. I seem to be on a "losing my religion" reading path of late, having also recently finished Leaving the Saints, Martha Beck's book about leaving the Mormons.

Next up will be The Crying Tree, for next week's book group. It doesn't sound at all my cup of tea, but ... we'll see.

• annpan
    12 years ago

Lemonhead, I am so happy to be able to post again. As you say, one's own familiar computer is best! I could have gone to the library earlier but I kept hoping I would be able to post soon and tested every time I logged on to RP. Also, their computers had to be booked and were usually busy when I called in. I didn't have a lot to comment on either! Other than reporting that I had read the Julian Fellowes books recommended here. I also bought a number of books in the "Growing Old..." series by Rita Lakin as my library only bought the first two. Not many senior mysteries set in retirement complexes similar to mine have come to my attention! Only we don't have murders!

• woodnymph2_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I remember Rayma well, for her sense of humor and courage in the face of adversity when she got flooded out. And yes, I miss Janalyn and Laceyvail, too.

I recently read through a spate of Dorothea Benton Frank novels all set in the coastal area of SC where I now live. She just keeps churning them out and I find them entertaining as I'm learning more about my new "home".

Now I'm reading Tatiana deRosnay's newest: "The House I Loved." I would recommend this to anyone interested in the history of Paris, France and its architecture.

Luckily for me, I have not minded posting from library and university computers, nor the ones in our building, as I am doing now.

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

I'd love to hear from Rayma again.

Didn't Janalyn pop in for a post or two about a year ago? I hoped she'd stay, but it sounded as though she was busy in many areas of her life.

It would be a pleasure to hear again from Laceyvail and Robin as well.

Like Siobhan I worry about members who quietly disappear. And besides that, I miss them.

As for what I am reading, I am chugging away at my chosen Dickens novel, now less than 100 pages from the end. And I found time to stop and read The Haunting of Maddy Clare, which I stayed up late to finish in one long gulp. Am I correct that it goes back to PAM now?

Rosefolly

• J C
    12 years ago

I believe it does. Did you receive it from pam53? If so, it goes back to PAM.

I can't post to RP from work for some reason. I can read it with no problem but can't sign in. This can be quite frustrating when I really, really want to post something but can't. When I am in my 'work cycle' of 12 hours on/12hours off for 5 or 6 days at a time I feel like I miss a lot of opportunities. I had high hopes of being able to post from my Kindle Fire but no luck. On the other hand, when I am in my 'non-work cycle' of being off for 6 or 7 days at a time I can post, post, post away!

• rouan
    12 years ago

I remember Rayma and her stories of her dog and psycho bird. I wish she could come back to RP again. I also miss Janalyn and Jankinrade (suddenly I am having a possible senior moment, is it Jankin or Jankinrade? I can't remember!). Has anyone heard anything from either of them?

Pam 53, I like the Jane Whitefield series too, although I am hesitant about reading the newest one. I don't remember which RPer told us, but she sat at the same table as Thomas Perry at a luncheon and he said he was considering killing her off (this was a few years ago) and I don't want her killed off. As long as I don't read a book in which it happens, she's safe! LOL That series is basically set in my old neck of the woods (between Rochester, Buffalo and Syracuse) and I enjoyed reading mentions of places I knew and had been to.

For my current reading, I finished listening to The Adventures of Hugo Cabret and have picked up a couple of books that looked interesting from the library. The first one is nonfiction, The Swerve by Stephen Greenblatt. It's the account of Poggio Bracciolini who searched for and discovered many ancient books including Lucretius' ancient poem On the Nature of Things which, according to the author, changed the course of history.

The other book I picked up is A Parliament of Spies by Cassandra Clark. I'm not really interested in Medieval history but thought I'd give it a try as I've decided to try and broaden my reading horizons.

• Kath
    12 years ago

I read the Judith Flanders book several years ago - it was just titled The Victorian House here. I agree that it was very good, and what I expected Bill Bryson's to be.

I think somewhere I have a copy of Rayma's stories of psychobird, and the time she was flooded out. We do miss some posters, and I always wonder why they left.

I haven't anything to add about what I have read, really. I am still on my Diana Gabaldon re-read, and really enjoying The Fiery Cross. Although I have read the first four many times, I think this is only the second time through for this one, and I have forgotten most of the story.

• woodnymph2_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rouen, I also miss Jankin (JanKinrade). I think Vee was in touch with her at some point in the past. Maybe she knows her whereabouts?

• veer
    12 years ago

Mary, I did very occasionally hear from and contact Jan, but this was some time ago and I don't think she has enjoyed good health for a while. I'm never sure how appropriate it is to email someone in these circumstances.

Rouen, I tried reading something by Cassandra Clark, that came with a glowing newspaper recommendation and I couldn't get 'into' it at all. Let us know how this one goes.

• J C
    12 years ago

I seem to remember one RPer, perhaps Jankin, had health issues and also problems with eyesight, which pose the obvious difficulties. I wish the best for her and I like to imagine her fully recovered in a cozy home sipping tea surrounded by books.

I disappeared from here for some time when we went through a troll period. I checked in and lurked a bit from time to time but the problem was that due to the trolls, there never was anything I wanted to comment on. But one day I checked in, the trolls were gone and there were some interesting things I felt I could contribute to. And of course we have a wonderful bunch here now.

I have read two short volumes of essays about Wagner's Ring cycles, both excellent. This is relaxing for me during high stress times. This past week has been horrible, awful work conditions, culminating in someone hitting my car in the parking lot and of course driving away without taking responsibility. I came out and found it this morning after working a truly grueling and challenging 13-hour shift. Okay, this isn't really about books but there you have it. Now I am going to do some reading and forget about it for the rest of this Sunday.

• timallan
    12 years ago

I can't remember her name, but did not a well-known RP lady pass away a few years back? Sorry to bring such a doleful note to the conversation. But that's me: every silver lining has a cloud.

Siobhan, sorry to hear about your craptacular day! I have been having a lot of stress at work myself lately, so perhaps the change of seasons is making everyone tetchy.

My reading this winter has not been very impressive. I seem to fall asleep immediately after getting into bed, which seriously cuts into my reading time. I have been nibbling away at Andrew Taylor's The Anatomy of Ghosts, which has some gruesome elements which put me off a bit. Still, it is a good mystery so far. I also started Josephine Tey's The Franchise Affair, which I believe has been either made into a movie, or adapted for television. I read two of her mysteries, The Daughter of Time and Miss Pym Disposes, and found both to be very innovative and interesting.

• carolyn_ky
    12 years ago

I have started Peter Robinson's newest, Before the Poison, and am loving it. It is a stand alone and jumps back and forth between 1953 when a Yorkshire woman was hanged for murdering her husband and the present time when a recently widowed man buys the house she lived in. It is really a good story as he gets interested in her and believes her wrongly convicted.

• pam53
    12 years ago

Carolyn- I can't find the new P. Robinson book at our library and I love his books. The Gods Of Gotham arrived yesterday. When I finish does it go back to PAM or to someone else, as there is no list in the front? I am assuming to PAM

• annpan
    12 years ago

Timallan, I have read all the Tey books and am happy to say that there is a DVD of The Franchise Affair. I saw this movie many years ago before I read the book as I liked the real-life married actors who starred in it. It is on the Vicpine website, if you are interested. I have bought rare DVDs from them.

• J C
    12 years ago

Yes, back to PAM. I hope you enjoy it!

Tim, I went through a Tey phase 3 or 4 years ago, loved her work. So elegant yet so entertaining.

• pam53
    12 years ago

rouan-Jane is still alive at the end of T. Perry's new book Poisonflower so never fear-read and enjoy!

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

I went to see the movie of The Hunger Games over the weekend. Heartily recommended. Excellent acting and unusual restraint for Hollywood in handling the violence of the story. I guess they wanted their PG-13 rating but IMO it made for a better movie. I had read the first two books in advance, and am now in the middle of Mockingjay the final volume of the trilogy.

I am just about to get in the car and drive to the post office to mail Maddy Clare back to Pam. Thanks for circulating this book!

Rosefolly

• junek-2009
    12 years ago

I have just started Maddy Clare, very promising so far.

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

Siobhan, reading over this thread I don't see where I congratulated you on your publication. My apologies - I really thought I had done so. In any case, I am very impressed, and very happy for your success. I am sure it is no more than the beginning.

Rosefolly

• woodnymph2_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've found that reading the works of Dorothea Benton Frank is as addictive as eating chocolate, if not more so. So now, I've switched to "The House at Tyneford" by Natasha Solomons. It's the story of a young Jewish woman from Vienna sent to work as a house maid (for her safety) in a grand English country house, during the 1930's rise of the Nazis in power in Austria.

• carolyn_ky
    12 years ago

Woodnymph, have you read The Christmas Pearl yet? It is a novelette published at Christmastime a few years ago and really struck a chord with me. My daughter and I both really like the Frank books.

Did I ask you before if you have read any of the Laura Childs Charleston tearoom series? They are brain candy with some tea lore thrown in, but I borrow them from the library and keep up. I'm about half through her latest, Agony of the Leaves.