SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janalyn_gw

Describe your local library

janalyn
11 years ago

I've seen several interesting changes in my local library in the past ten years, most due to technology.

It's a beautiful building, with a large children section and reading area for adults. It's light, airy and a delight to visit. There are meeting rooms for book clubs, and special events.

Technology has changed certain things. I am beginning to think librarians are going extinct, just like travel agents. We used to stand in line and the librarian would check the books out with a scanner. Now, we have a machine that scans the books for us, lets you know what your library fines are, and you can pay them there too. I don't even see a librarian. Though there is a reference one at one of the desks outside the Reference Room which is where material is kept that you cannot take out. I hardly ever see anyone asking the reference librarian a question; most people seem to be internet savvy and bypass her, I think. This room is very quiet, with a number of stalls where you can study, and work in private.
There are numerous computers throughout the library so you can browse the catalogues of that particular library and all of the ones in the province. If needed, you can place a hold on any book by logging in to your account, and it will be delivered to the library in a few days. I receive notification that my book has arrived via email. Email also lets me know if a book is coming due and I get monthly reports concerning new things happening at the library.

You can also read other library users reviews of books - there is something of a social network that you can join in, if you like, but that is something I have ignored.
The library computers allow you to access the internet too, but I believe they limit you to one hour at a time.

The library offers training on the latest ebook technology and how to use the internet.

My only complaint is that I wish you could bring a cup of coffee with you in the browsing area. They have comfy chairs :).

Comments (16)