SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaymielo_gw

Please help with 'whole house' paint choices

16 years ago

Hello Decorating Forum, I'm a frequent poster on the BAH and kitchens forum and just realized last week, I need to broaden my horizons. ;) We are building a new home and I'm finally at the stage where I could use some decorating advice rather then advice on the "bones" of our new home. Any day now, my GC is going to call me and want my paint choices, and I honestly thought I was ready, but when I sat down to write them down, I realized I wasn't so sure. I'm "pretty" happy with the main floor and the "color flow", but I'm at a loss on the upper floor. Here is my first take...

But first, a little bit about my family and style. Our house is an eclectic "new old" house. Craftsman influences though out and we are trying to stay true to the period but are by no means fanatical. I like an "organic, food insprired" palette. The color wheel I've been working with is SW. On the main floor, my office is Leapfrog. The dining room is Peppery and the great room, foyer, nook and kitchen are Sundance. I'm copying this color combination from our previous house where I really loved it. For the powder and laundry room, I've chosen Studio Blue Green and for the master suite, Raindrop. We are lakeside and I'd like to draw the water in.

Upstairs is more of a challenge for me. My first (and biggest) problem is the hallway. This is visible from the Great Room, so the paint needs to coordinate with the Sundance color. Right now, I have Softened Green showing. My other challenge is we pay for every paint color change (is that really fair? ;) ) so I'm trying to limit this a bit. We have two little boys who alternate between saying they are going to share a room and have their own room, but I'm picturing a nautical or space theme in their room, so I put Candid Blue in BR 2. In their bathroom, I went a shade lighter with Blue Chick. For the other three rooms, BR3, BR4 and the Media Room/Bonus, I have Artichoke specified. This is up the color strip from the Softened Green in the halls and Guest Bath.

So, HELP! Please, any suggestions. I know this is so much about personal taste, but I would appreciate feedback SO much! Does this work? Should I be switching colors? I'm really anxious to get some input! DH is no help.

If you've gotten this far, you deserve a star for getting through this post. Thank you!

Main Floor

Upper Floor

Comments (9)