SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilybug46_gw

Husband wants to do all the drywall! Help!

lilybug46
12 years ago

Since August, husband and I(but mostly him) have stripped, restructured and completely altered an older home we intend to move into come Spring 2012. We had trades do the heating/air, electrical and some plumbing. We agreed throughout that the best way to go with this reno was to get trades to do most of the work but husband still did all the restructuring/framing himself overseen by our contractor/carpenter.

Well, now he wants to save money and do all the drywall himself. This is after almost confirming with a drywall crew to do the job-got a great quote from a reputable company-they're just waiting for him to say 'Go'.

Now,this is a 1400 sq.ft home with a loft which will require scaffolding to drywall ceiling and upper walls. He has drywalled our current home, well, I might add BUT it took a long time!

He thinks he has the time to do it now but I am imagining it will take twice as long(he will do most of this by himself)and will leave him more frustrated at the slower progress.

I'm disheartened by the prospect as I'd hoped to have the drywall done quicker so we could get in there to paint, lay floors and furnishings sooner, rather than later.

I pointed out that the slower progress will likely mean a later move-in date and would double our utility bills for a longer period since we're paying to electrify, heat and water two properties. Our intention is to move into this house and rent out our current home to help offset our costs.

Am I being unreasonable? I am doing my best to save every little bit of money with our choices for flooring, lighting, fixtures and cabinetry-there is nothing high-end about this reno-no granite countertops, etc.

Is there anything I'm forgetting here that you can add to support my argument for a drywall crew? Pointing out the obvious,the crew can come in and do it all in about 1 week, didn't seem to phase him.

I'm feeling a little doomed!

Comments (27)